Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Whizzzy wrote: »
    How much of everything that's posted here relates to low self-esteem?

Hands up!

Me for one...bigtime.

D.

Hands up here too Whizzzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hands up!

Me for one...bigtime.

D.

hands and feet up!!!

handbagmad wrote: »
    hands and feet up!!!

You were warned about those feet H! :p:pac:

You were warned about those feet H! :p:pac:

oops can ya smell em from there!? My bad.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Hands up!

Me for one...bigtime.

D.

I suppose I will have to volunteer my hand as well.

Did my anxiety lead to low self esteem, or vice versa?

Chicken and egg I suppose. Doesn't matter now, they're both there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Solobally8 wrote: »
    You know your thoughts are so similar to mine. I often feel like I'm so inferior to everyone else. How are they so together while I'm the crazy one falling apart? I can't say I have any answers for you only to realise you are not alone, we are all struggling along. Try to be kind to yourself. You are doing your best with what you have right now.

Here, here..I feel similar, can't seem to make good bonds and connections with others and have developed a social anxiety, I recently unfriended 200 people on my facebook as I got too jealous of other's happiness. I thought at 33 years of age I'd be happy with my lot but I seem to be getting worse and even more isolated.

cookie24 wrote: »
    I suppose I will have to volunteer my hand as well.

Did my anxiety lead to low self esteem, or vice versa?

Chicken and egg I suppose. Doesn't matter now, they're both there.

Very hard to answer that Cookie, I've felt like this for so long now it seems to be all that I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think I have a weird case of anxiety and depression. I haven't got low self esteem at all. In fact I'm quite confident and outgoing. Weird!

Went back to the doctor to tell her the Inderal was making me feel worse. She took me off them and I'm starting Cipramil 10mg tomorrow. I've heard the side effects are bad but if I persevere they should pay off in the long run!

I think I have a weird case of anxiety and depression. I haven't got low self esteem at all. In fact I'm quite confident and outgoing. Weird!

Nothing wrong with that at all! :)

Very hard to answer that Cookie, I've felt like this for so long now it seems to be all that I can remember.

me too. And I've tried analysing it so many times, trying to pinpoint the exact time anxiety became an issue. Maybe it was inevitable. Nature vs nurture. Who knows? Perhaps a decision (not) made lead to everything?
    Nothing wrong with that at all! :)

Nothing at all wrong with that. In fact I envy you your confidence. Not in a bitter sort of way, just I'd like to be confident :(

• Advertisement

My confidence is almost non-existent. It's a right pain in work because I get so nervous that I forget things or do things wrong. Have gotten a reputation, I suspect, of being clumsy, thick and a spacer.

Im a ball of emotions this evening.
    Feel like a good cry would help, but haven't cried in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

Im a ball of emotions this evening.
    Feel like a good cry would help, but haven't cried in weeks.

take care handbag. nothing wrong with a good cry.

about the low self esteem i would imagine that and anxiety would, usually anyway, go hand in hand.
    it is for me anyway, times when i feel a bit better about myself the anxiety would reduce some.

I really wanna stay in bed all day. so cosy, and so stressful outside. but i have errands to run

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Went up to a friends house for a shmoke and I think I laughed all the negativity out of my body. Definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

My doctors appointment yesterday was a disaster. He didn't listen to me at all and was only interested in cracking jokes and prescribing me an anti depressant. I have now found out that this particular one isn't really suitable for people with a history of self harm, which I have, but the doctor didn't even ask about my mental health history. He just didn't listen when I told him how much I was struggling.

He gave me 2 weeks worth and tablets and said to come back in 2 weeks if I still wanted therapy.

I think I'm gonna make an appointment with my old doctors. They were always better and I only stopped going because this current one is closer and cheaper.

My doctors appointment yesterday was a disaster. He didn't listen to me at all and was only interested in cracking jokes and prescribing me an anti depressant. I have now found out that this particular one isn't really suitable for people with a history of self harm, which I have, but the doctor didn't even ask about my mental health history. He just didn't listen when I told him how much I was struggling.

He gave me 2 weeks worth and tablets and said to come back in 2 weeks if I still wanted therapy.

I think I'm gonna make an appointment with my old doctors. They were always better and I only stopped going because this current one is closer and cheaper.

Sorry to hear that LID. Maybe it'd be a good thing to go back to your old doctor if you can afford it.

Sorry to hear that loveisdivine. Are you seeing a GP or a psychiatrist? I started with a GP and the whole process really went no where. I think they are reluctant to prescribe 'proper' medication.
    The psychiatrist I am seeing now (got referral from GP) is great. Listens to me, meds seem to be working and is e90 a session, which I dont think is too bad. See him about once a month.
    Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

This is just the initial GP. I've made another appointment now with the old doctor for tomorrow evening. He was always very understanding and I'm confident he will agree to refer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Beginning to think the amount of people who actually care in this world, even a bit, is extremely limited. Even the seemingly nice people, when push comes to shove, may have been conning you (and even themselves) all along :( Guilt is NOT the same as caring. Doing things to make yourself feel like you're doing good is NOT neccessarily the same as actually giving a damn :(

• Advertisement

After a panic stricken day (interview tomorrow) I rang the doc and he said I could take a few extra valiums before the interview. Feeling a bit better now :)

Hopefully tomorrow I will be :D instead of :(

After a panic stricken day (interview tomorrow) I rang the doc and he said I could take a few extra valiums before the interview. Feeling a bit better now :)

Best of luck tomorrow Cookie! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Good luck with the interview :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

This is just the initial GP. I've made another appointment now with the old doctor for tomorrow evening. He was always very understanding and I'm confident he will agree to refer me.

Having a understanding doctor makes such a difference. I feel sorry for those who go to their doctor and get the reaction that you did. At least you know a doctor who will be understanding.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Having a understanding doctor makes such a difference. I feel sorry for those who go to their doctor and get the reaction that you did. At least you know a doctor who will be understanding.

massive difference. i have found that too.
    good you can return to your old one loveisdivine.
    even if the end result is the same, like they'd both prescribe same meds/give same guidance, it feels a lot better if you are comfortable with the doctor.
    good luck

wish you luck as well cookie24. i have an interview for a part time job next tuesday.
    dreading it but in a weird way i am looking forward to it too. represents a tiny amount of progress.
    not so long ago there was no way i would be able to even consider doing an interview
    or even speaking to someone to arrange one in the first place.
    but i suppose it is a real necessity to get work now.
    just enough hours to sustain myself for now. that would be a good step forward.

I need to change my life. In order to change I need to make choices.

Choices.... Sounds easy when said but don't know where to start.
    So many things out of my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I need to change my life. In order to change I need to make choices.

Choices.... Sounds easy when said but don't know where to start.
    So many things out of my control.

I'm here and I hear ya. What sort of choices?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

fr336 wrote: »
    Beginning to think the amount of people who actually care in this world, even a bit, is extremely limited. Even the seemingly nice people, when push comes to shove, may have been conning you (and even themselves) all along :( Guilt is NOT the same as caring. Doing things to make yourself feel like you're doing good is NOT neccessarily the same as actually giving a damn :(

no-good-deed.jpg

• Advertisement

shezer wrote: »
    I'm here and I hear ya. What sort of choices?

choices....i need to get a grip shezer.
    Staying in bed till all hours, not eating properly.
    I have been quite ill for a few weeks, the whole thing of being very tired on different anti biotics and painkillers my whole system, outlook is fcuked up!

The thought of going outside frightens me now.
    I don't know if im just feeling sorry for myself or im slipping back or wtf.

My body and mind are so tired

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement