Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

All joking aside, I find when I get bored that my mind turns to all that is negative and that bothers me. Anyone else get like that too?

Don't get bored then? Watch as many movies / TV shows / sports / whatever as complete escapism with the emphasis away from you as possible. There will be ups and downs but you've got to start somewhere and get to the top of a mountain where you can at least think about the negative stuff in a slightly more positive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

fr336 wrote: »
    Don't get bored then? Watch as many movies / TV shows / sports / whatever as complete escapism with the emphasis away from you as possible. There will be ups and downs but you've got to start somewhere and get to the top of a mountain where you can at least think about the negative stuff in a slightly more positive way.

Sometimes the boredom comes no matter what.

I'm not the most positive thinking guy I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

All joking aside, I find when I get bored that my mind turns to all that is negative and that bothers me. Anyone else get like that too?

yes. i think that's how i got through the last week or so.
    i had a very definite goal in mind and would not stop til it was achieved. hook or crook.
    often feel i think about and analyse things and myself too much.
    nothing better than having something to focus on, i love that feeling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

tumblr_mrm1v657no1sfwsbuo1_500.jpg

seize the day. make your lives extraordinary

I ninja edited there Ro, sorry! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

ya, and could take me a while to realise im thinking of all negative crap.

Was watching tv earlier think it was the Simpsons, was thinking of something that happened months ago calling meself a stupid b**ch out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think it means seize the opportunity - don't let something good slip by, as it may not come again.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I think it means seize the opportunity - don't let something good slip by, as it may not come again.

I wouldn't even know where to begin about seizing it though.

what would happen if we all of us seized the same day?can we make a point of seizing the 16th, just to see what happens.
    seriously though hugo, it's all a matter of perspective. i wouldn't get caught up in big ideas like going about seizing days like they were something that could be conquered. just find your own way to get through the ones that aren't going well for a start.

fiftythree wrote: »
    what would happen if we all of us seized the same day?can we make a point of seizing the 16th, just to see what happens.
    seriously though hugo, it's all a matter of perspective. i wouldn't get caught up in big ideas like going about seizing days like they were something that could be conquered. just find your own way to get through the ones that aren't going well for a start.

I can get a bit philosophical when broody :D:o

• Advertisement

Start small sieze Ireland then.....the world!!

Muuhahahaha

Excellent (in mr.burns style creepy voice)

only one more full weekend day left hugo. i'm quite liking this one. counting down the 6 hours or so til my next double sausage mcmuffin meal.
    oh i take black coffee with mine, if it is sausage of course.
    what does everyone else have?
    i would choose strong tea if it was a bacon based breakfast!
    tea and bacon should fall in love and get married, we all know they're meant for each other. i would go to their wedding and wish them well.
    i'm quite happy it is the weekend, got a new place to stay and be in some peace to reflect and plan for monday.
    results uncertain. but i am on track finally. as in i have climbed onto the first rung.
    but if i could make the weekend speed up for you and the weekend slow down for you i would.
    that would be nice.
    an individual tailoring of time to accommodate all our preferences.

only one more full weekend day left hugo. i'm quite liking this one. counting down the 6 hours or so til my next double sausage mcmuffin meal.
    oh i take black coffee with mine, if it is sausage of course.
    what does everyone else have?
    i would choose strong tea if it was a bacon based breakfast!
    tea and bacon should fall in love and get married, we all know they're meant for each other. i would go to their wedding and wish them well.
    i'm quite happy it is the weekend, got a new place to stay and be in some peace to reflect and plan for monday.
    results uncertain. but i am on track finally. as in i have climbed onto the first rung.
    but if i could make the weekend speed up for you and the weekend slow down for you i would.
    that would be nice.
    an individual tailoring of time to accommodate all our preferences.

That's actually a lovely thing to say. Thank you. :)

but wouldn't it be lovely if we could just fast forward through the bits be knew are uncomfortable and nervewracking, then maybe slow down the good times. often think good times are so fleeting, gone and confined to a nice memory, seemingly without having had time to fully appreciate them at the time, and that nervous anxious times feel multiplied tenfold in time. 2 hours feel like 24 etc.
    and i say this not in a negative mood, just a contemplative one.
    suppose it a character flaw, or just something in me that i dwell far too much on negativity.
    and that i feel any nice times are just temporary ripples, anomalies.
    but clearly that is no way to think so i am trying to get out of that mindset now.
    i need to give positivity and negativity at the very least, equal footing.

but wouldn't it be lovely if we could just fast forward through the bits be knew are uncomfortable and nervewracking, then maybe slow down the good times. often think good times are so fleeting, gone and confined to a nice memory, seemingly without having had time to fully appreciate them at the time, and that nervous anxious times feel multiplied tenfold in time. 2 hours feel like 24 etc.
    and i say this not in a negative mood, just a contemplative one.
    suppose it a character flaw, or just something in me that i dwell far too much on negativity.
    and that i feel any nice times are just temporary ripples, anomalies.
    but clearly that is no way to think so i am trying to get out of that mindset now.
    i need to give positivity and negativity at the very least, equal footing.

I get you. Like an emotion on/off switch.

something like an on/off switch.
    on reflection i've probably not had so many more lows than highs hugo,
    i just somehow, annoyingly, cling to the lows, the bits where i feel i have failed, been laughed at by people, genuinely laughed at.
    i feel small, i feel weak, i feel inferior. i would never laugh at anybody and that's why it gets to me.
    but i am determined, absolutely determined, from now on to feel a bit better.
    i had a bad week, but no worse than anyone else's week.
    and to hell with anyone who tries to get me down next week. well, not to hell literally, just to hell with their opinion!
    i am simply not having any of it.
    i hope you can find something interesting to do with your sunday...do you watch sport?
    i mean you dont have to do anything bt i recently started following a football team and weekends are fun now.
    i have little interest in the sport but the banter between the fans keeps me going!
    saturday is now over.....you are into the final day of the weekend!

something like an on/off switch.
    on reflection i've probably not had so many more lows than highs hugo,
    i just somehow, annoyingly, cling to the lows, the bits where i feel i have failed, been laughed at by people, genuinely laughed at.
    i feel small, i feel weak, i feel inferior. i would never laugh at anybody and that's why it gets to me.
    but i am determined, absolutely determined, from now on to feel a bit better.
    i had a bad week, but no worse than anyone else's week.
    and to hell with anyone who tries to get me down next week. well, not to hell literally, just to hell with their opinion!
    i am simply not having any of it.
    i hope you can find something interesting to do with your sunday...do you watch sport?
    i mean you dont have to do anything bt i recently started following a football team and weekends are fun now.
    i have little interest in the sport but the banter between the fans keeps me going!
    saturday is now over.....you are into the final day of the weekend!

I'd say a lot of us here can relate to clinging onto the bad thoughts and memories more than onto the good stuff.

Any Sunday plans yourself sir?

handbagmad wrote: »
    Start small sieze Ireland then.....the world!!

Muuhahahaha

Excellent (in mr.burns style creepy voice)

ok i have belfast.
    quick, let's grab all the cities and then we will be in a position of power. *evil laugh

ok i have belfast.
    quick, let's grab all the cities and then we will be in a position of power. *evil laugh

Save me some of the land grabbed guys! :D

Am wrecked here so gonna turn in. Night all! :)

I'd say a lot of us here can relate to clinging onto the bad thoughts and memories more than onto the good stuff.

Any Sunday plans yourself sir?

i know hugo, that's why i think i can relate to you in here.
    always trying to banish the bad thoughts but they are very resilient i find.
    actually i had a plan to meet one of my family for pizza.
    it would have been my first public meeting with people for around 6 months.
    when i get sausage muffins i do it solo!
    she lives in scotland and has just 5 minutes ago told me by sms
    she had to get an early/middle of the night ferry home.
    that she had a falling out at the home place. left unexpected early.big row.
    same thing that has driven me away from there and why i found myself without
    shelter this week. it is a terrible complicated family situation but no good will
    come from me worrying about it though that is my natural response.
    sorry if i am being too cryptic guys, just so hard to explain all this.
    now 5 hours and counting til the double sausage mcmuffin. literally salivating here!

• Advertisement

oh hugo you can have castlereagh in its entirety.never really fitted into my plans anyway!
    goodnight, thanks for the posts tonight. and thanks as always to all of you,
    i really like how you are all going through your own times in your own place in your own way.
    you're all dong brilliant. well done guys. 53

oh one more post...i reckon stinkle is on a flight this evening/night. only been posting here for a few weeks but best wishes going out to stinkle, wherever that person is. i hope stinkle has a great experience, and thanks for the support for the last while.
    let us know how emigrant life is ok!?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I really don't feel well tonight. There is no amount of money I wouldn't pay for a cure for this

I really don't feel well tonight. There is no amount of money I wouldn't pay for a cure for this

what is bothering you cometogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

what is bothering you cometogether?

I don't even know its all quite strange

I feel so weird..anxious is not the word :(

I don't even know its all quite strange

ok hope you get over it.
    let us know

so is it not anxious or very anxious?
    i think i went on a flight years ago with your name on it!
    hope you are ok 336, grab a glass of water or whatever your poison is and try to calm down.
    how was your day?

anything you want to rant about ir get off your chest friend?

• Advertisement

so is it not anxious or very anxious?
    i think i went on a flight years ago with your name on it!
    hope you are ok 336, grab a glass of water or whatever your poison is and try to calm down.
    how was your day?

I just need my sleep :( Will hopefully do that soon.

Yeah that's where the name came from. I'm guessing you had to go through Luton Airport then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement