Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

handbagmad wrote: »
    All I can think of is chocolate.
    And I have no chocolate.
    3rd world problem right there!

is there a shop nearby and funds with which to purchase chocolate?
    i haven't eaten the stuff in ages, you're making me hungry.
    think a few kit kats are in order at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

2 day head cold with a throat infection to top it off. Lovely stuff. I'm not complaining. I just want sympathy :D as no one here has a worse situation than me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

fiftythree wrote: »
    have you arrived at your new destination?hope it is nice
    so far so good. I have temp accom for a few months - it's not ideal but the alternative is worse - having to flat hunt and buy furniture as well as start work. The area seems nice and very convenient. Am messing around with TV streaming here and have been Skyping home etc.

The worst part was my last few weeks really. The move is done now and I'll try to make a good go of it. Home is always there if it turns into a disaster, but so far experiences have been good. My biggest fear is loneliness mixed with homesickness. My OH isnt coming over for a bit you see. I reckon I'll be busy with work and evenings (in the dark and cold) might not be too bad if I'm dealing with folk in work all day etc. I have lots to read and watch on TV and movies I want to watch. Have a few trips planned and some randomers to contact in town. Its really good to know there's support there, even if I never end up needing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

shezer wrote: »
    2 day head cold with a throat infection to top it off. Lovely stuff. I'm not complaining. I just want sympathy :D as no one here has a worse situation than me :D

I thinks my lack of sugary confectionery goodness is a far worse situation but...

Aww poor you, you poor thing hope this fixes your sympathy needs :D

I thinks my lack of sugary confectionery goodness is a far worse situation but...

Aww poor you, you poor thing hope this fixes your sympathy needs :D

Thanks.And I'm not complaining now but the sympathy should be faster than that :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Thanks.And I'm not complaining now but the sympathy should be faster than that :p

ah sure I've no heart at all, forgive my inconsiderate timing.

Hope ur man flu clears soon
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gargoyle :) with salt and water. Snuffle some salty water up each nostril. Swallow as little as possible. Do not rinse mouth afterwards.

€50, thank you. Next patient.

Not your ornery onager

ah sure I've no heart at all, forgive my inconsiderate timing.

Hope ur man flu clears soon
    X

It's ebola I tells ya.
    Esel wrote: »
    Gargoyle :) with salt and water. Snuffle some salty water up each nostril. Swallow as little as possible. Do not rinse mouth afterwards.

€50, thank you. Next patient.

My eyes burned just reading that. Is there any other REMEDIES that you have that could also act as a catalyst to my death. :pac:

It's ebola I tells ya.

My eyes burned just reading that. Is there any other REMEDIES that you have that could also act as a catalyst to my death. :pac:
    Tears are salty, but hard to collect in the quantities needed for this genuine treatment.

Would you pay €50 for this advice? Probably not, which is why your doctor won't advise it. It works, while being much less stressful than waterboarding oneself with seawater. Also, you don't have to beg yourself to stop.

Otoh, while having your (salty) scalp licked by a cow (or many cows, with repeated applications of salt) does not actually cure male pattern baldness, it can be therapeutic (i.e. feel great) in its own right. Always ask the farmer's permission first, and be prepared for rejection. Never run, because the cows will usually chase after you.

Fresh cowdung on a wound; dried cowdung on the fire. €10 each for these pieces of advice. Just to help with the vet's bill, you understand... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Keep getting sneak attacks. Thinking I'm fine and then realising I can't get out of bed or suddenly wanting to be dead.

• Advertisement

Keep getting sneak attacks. Thinking I'm fine and then realising I can't get out of bed or suddenly wanting to be dead.

how are you feeling now Killer_banana?
    Hope the day treated you ok.

stinkle wrote: »
    so far so good. I have temp accom for a few months - it's not ideal but the alternative is worse - having to flat hunt and buy furniture as well as start work. The area seems nice and very convenient. Am messing around with TV streaming here and have been Skyping home etc.

The worst part was my last few weeks really. The move is done now and I'll try to make a good go of it. Home is always there if it turns into a disaster, but so far experiences have been good. My biggest fear is loneliness mixed with homesickness. My OH isnt coming over for a bit you see. I reckon I'll be busy with work and evenings (in the dark and cold) might not be too bad if I'm dealing with folk in work all day etc. I have lots to read and watch on TV and movies I want to watch. Have a few trips planned and some randomers to contact in town. Its really good to know there's support there, even if I never end up needing it.

good stuff stinkle, you'll be fine. sounds like you had the move well planned. well done. the very best of fortune to you in your new place. i am confident you will make a go of it and do great. you did brilliant just getting there. great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Roquentin wrote: »
    sunday blues always hit me for some reason. i think it goes back to childhood when you knew you had school the next day

I really believe this.. Sunday evening blues, or Glenroe syndrome as a friend calls it.. It stems from childhood and remains.. Same with the end of the summer and school looming over innseptember

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I really believe this.. Sunday evening blues, or Glenroe syndrome as a friend calls it.. It stems from childhood and remains.. Same with the end of the summer and school looming over innseptember

or when the winter break ends

feeling awful tonight, feel i did good work this week, finding a home and everything.
    proud of myself for what i did.
    but my mind is getting to me. terrible black thoughts.
    regrets and self hatred.
    ps: you're all brilliant, thanks for the support. all of you have been lovely to me.
    just a rant i suppose, had a million things to do this morning, i froze with anxiety,
    couldn't face the meetings i had to face and now i'm set back.
    i'd absolutely love to rejoin society again, i'm a lovely fellow when i am on form.
    but i find it difficult. cripplingly difficult.

how are you all tonight?

fiftythree wrote: »
    how are you all tonight?

feeling a bit better since o sheas goal:)

Roquentin wrote: »
    feeling a bit better since o sheas goal:)

better late than never right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 traincrash.ie

Hi all, new to this so only registered about five mins ago. But actually couldn't go to work the last two days, haven't got out of bed all day. My life is falling apart. Drinking is my main crutch but i feel ten times worse the following day. Anyone got any advice.

Hi all, new to this so only registered about five mins ago. But actually couldn't go to work the last two days, haven't got out of bed all day. My life is falling apart. Drinking is my main crutch but i feel ten times worse the following day. Anyone got any advice.

try your best to not drink if it does you no good.
    for a start. it will take a while, be patient.

• Advertisement

Im on librium at the moment they are not helping at all. Feeling like in going to have a heart attack. Cant stop drinking even with librium. Im prob going to lose my job. Im work in a very stressful environment and often come home in tears, which leads to the drinking. Suffer with very bad anxiety and in too scared to go anywhere on my own, which is why i end up going to the pub for company.

Im on librium at the moment they are not helping at all. Feeling like in going to have a heart attack. Cant stop drinking even with librium. Im prob going to lose my job. Im work in a very stressful environment and often come home in tears, which leads to the drinking. Suffer with very bad anxiety and in too scared to go anywhere on my own, which is why i end up going to the pub for company.

sorry to hear that......i was there myself. i had a very stressful job. used to sleep in fear and wake up in fear......ended up leaving it and have been happier since.....parents dont seem to understand but stress effects everyone differently. some people can handle it. i couldnt

I would love to find a new job but as i live on my own im the only one to pay the bills, i also have a daughter to support so i just cant quit, felt suicidal over the weekend rang the doctor in tears yesterday i actually just didn't know where to turn. He wasn't much help and just told me to stop drinking, which i cant. Ive tried the hospital but they told me i don't fall into the category of being mentally ill enough to commit that what i have is a drinking problem but i know its my anxiety that leads to the drinking and basically since i haven't actually physically harmed myself yet they wont admit me.

I would love to find a new job but as i live on my own im the only one to pay the bills, i also have a daughter to support so i just cant quit, felt suicidal over the weekend rang the doctor in tears yesterday i actually just didn't know where to turn. He wasn't much help and just told me to stop drinking, which i cant. Ive tried the hospital but they told me i don't fall into the category of being mentally ill enough to commit that what i have is a drinking problem but i know its my anxiety that leads to the drinking and basically since i haven't actually physically harmed myself yet they wont admit me.

that is tough alright. i dont really know what to say cause i dont have any family to care for. Just have to worry about bills and thats plenty enough worry....

id say go into the doctor and see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

If its any help just talk it out over here. You are not on your own and we're all in the trenches with you. Take each day as it comes for now. Just remember that there is hope, that ppl care, that there are so many options to getting restarted and getting better. A bit of 'warrior spirit' is needed here which means digging deeper. :)

... felt suicidal over the weekend rang the doctor in tears yesterday i actually just didn't know where to turn. He wasn't much help and just told me to stop drinking, which i cant...
    You can stop drinking. Anyone can. Withdrawing from alcohol is very hard, and can be life-threatening unless managed.

Can you find the time to go to talk to your doctor, rather than ringing them? If you can (and you really should) you might well get a different result (even actual, genuine help).

Your daughter depends on you. For her, you need to take control of your life (or let the doctor take control, for a while). Make a few notes before you go to talk to your doctor. Try to take their advice on board. There are two people on your boat - you and your daughter. You are at the helm. Get your boat to a safe harbour. Get both of you back on dry land.

Re hospital admission: you can go straight to hospital without going through your doctor. You will be assessed by a psychiatrist there. They will be reluctant to dismiss you. If you decide to seek help in this way, either make arrangements for your daughter's care, or bring her with you to the hospital. Her care will be sorted out there.

You can come through this rough patch. Come through it, and see the brighter side.

Tell the doctor, or the psychiatrist, everything.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Whizzzy

Consider the possibility that, if you stopped drinking, the fact that you would no longer be mixing alcohol and medication might make you feel better. Perhaps stating the obvious, but it would give you something to aim for.

Alcohol greatly undermines just about any medication.

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Whizzzy wrote: »
    Consider the possibility that, if you stopped drinking, the fact that you would no longer be mixing alcohol and medication might make you feel better. Perhaps stating the obvious, but it would give you something to aim for.

Alcohol greatly undermines just about any medication.

W.

I'm on setraline around a week now, 50mg..love a few pints of stout still, I think a few pints of guinness is relatively harmless or perhaps a few glasses of wine..saying that, I drank 6 pints the other night and was so depressed the next day I couldn't face getting out of bed until after midday. :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Many of the examples above is why I don't drink. I was never a heavy drinker and didn't rely on it as a crutch, so it wasn't a difficult decision to make. I sympathize with those, for whom the decision isn't so easy and may you find the help you need traincrash. Firstly, are you seeing a Psychiatrist? If so, ring them pretty much ASAP and tell them what's going on. If not, then I would advise you to make an appointment with your GP, discuss what's going on and have a referral made straight away. It will get easier with the correct help.

As for me, I'm being treated for Bipolar 1 Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have no issues functioning in the outside world. I love my job, but it does get to me, from time to time. So I've arranged a meeting with my manager to discuss the issues that are stressing me out. When it comes to friends, I have more acquaintances than anything else. Maybe it's a personality trait of mine, but I could never seem to bond with anyone other than my fiancée on any level, despite any common interests.

What does cause me to become extremely anxious is confrontation, whether it is someone being direct and to the point, someone in an extremely fool borderline abusive mood or just down right aggressive. It's something that causes me extreme stress and anxiety, so much so that I'm on medication for my stomach as well to settle it and to ensure it functions as it should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement