Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

guitarzero wrote: »

excellent read........

i highlight the piece about the young chasing being rich rather than enjoying themselves. irish society is become more americanized

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

Roquentin wrote: »
    excellent read........

i highlight the piece about the young chasing being rich rather than enjoying themselves. irish society is become more americanized

god i know, the lad who needs a billion in the bank to be comfortable.:eek:
    good article alright.

how are all your evenings going?
    mine isn't very good at all.

fiftythree wrote: »
    how are all your evenings going?
    mine isn't very good at all.

depressed as hell this morning. i think its the weather. picking up now though

whats gone wrong with your day?

depressed as hell this morning. i think its the weather. picking up now though

whats gone wrong with your day?

feeling depressed as well, things are getting on top of me.
    very depressed feeling. feel physically weak and quite hopeless.
    in bed now and listening to city life going on about me
    and wishing i could be part of it.
    there's no way in hell i can get out of bed though.

• Advertisement

fiftythree wrote: »
    feeling depressed as well, things are getting on top of me.
    very depressed feeling. feel physically weak and quite hopeless.
    in bed now and listening to city life going on about me
    and wishing i could be part of it.
    there's no way in hell i can get out of bed though.

yea i know the feeling. some days i have to force myself to get out of bed. the head just feels heavy like lead....

i kind of feel guilty just sitting at home all day doing nothing. i would like to get out and work.....then if im working with uncertainty i get stressed out.....either way i am screwed but i kind of prefer this unemployed way....gets a bit boring but much better than the stress of the professional setting

life is tough....i remember when young it was so much easier.....just had to go to school and do your homework:)

yea i know the feeling. some days i have to force myself to get out of bed. the head just feels heavy like lead....

i kind of feel guilty just sitting at home all day doing nothing. i would like to get out and work.....then if im working with uncertainty i get stressed out.....either way i am screwed but i kind of prefer this unemployed way....gets a bit boring but much better than the stress of the professional setting

life is tough....i remember when young it was so much easier.....just had to go to school and do your homework:)

i'd love to go back to childhood.
    turtles on the tv and playing games on the super nintendo.
    what a time that was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Anyone on or been on cymbalta? I just started, they warned me of the side effects and feeling nausous but this is ****ing awful. Does it last long? I've never been pregnant, mainly because I'm a man but I'm sure morning sickness would feel a bit like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Have any of you guys had consistent trouble with your vision to do with anxiety? Since I've had full on anxiety the last few years I've had blurred vision all the time but the past few weeks it feels like something more - like my distance vision is really faultering and it's not blurred I just can't see as well :( I'm not even so worried about simply the vision getting bad and needing glasses or whatever, more worried about it being an indication of other damage to the eyes and / or something like diabetes (really haven't taken care of myself the last few years; I am due something bad tbh :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've got blurred vision because of it too. Often have to block out all light and lie down with my eyes closed to stop from worrying about it for a few minutes. I also worry that I have diabetes and that I'm going to have a heart attack at any minute. Have chest pains and pains in my arms because of it. Anxiety is not just a mental condition. There are loads of physical symptoms. These symptoms include hypersensitivity which is probably what's causing your blurred vision. Do get your eyes checked anyway just to be sure. Never hurts to cover all your bases!

• Advertisement

I've got blurred vision because of it too. Often have to block out all light and lie down with my eyes closed to stop from worrying about it for a few minutes. I also worry that I have diabetes and that I'm going to have a heart attack at any minute. Have chest pains and pains in my arms because of it. Anxiety is not just a mental condition. There are loads of physical symptoms. These symptoms include hypersensitivity which is probably what's causing your blurred vision. Do get your eyes checked anyway just to be sure. Never hurts to cover all your bases!

Yep going opticians tomorrow, all the best to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

No sleepings? :(

Make Handbagmad sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

handbagmad wrote: »
    No sleepings? :(

Make Handbagmad sad.

Howre you doing? I'm hours behind Ireland, it's dinner time for me so talk away if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stinkle wrote: »
    Howre you doing? I'm hours behind Ireland, it's dinner time for me so talk away if you like
    What's for dinner? :)

Not your ornery onager

I bought what I thought was frozen chicken wings yesterday, but actually theyre just boneless nugget things. I got carried away cos I have a giant freezer whereas my old place had a teeny one,so I bought a good few things too fill it for handiness. So after craving a nice comfort meal of wings and hot sauce I discovered I really just have chicken nuggets haha! I did make an additional sauce from scratch though, am not totally unskilled. Had a healthyish lunch today so dont feel too bad!

Great to hear you landed OK!

Yeah, wings /= nugget things, buffaloes not included. Bacon here /= bacon there either. Think the inverse, where bacon is concerned i.e. lean to fat ratio here is fat to lean ratio there.

Do not get carried away just because you suddenly have what you think is a giant freezer. :eek: :D

Everything is bigger there: beds, wardrobes, cookers, cars, roads, parking spaces... even freezers.

Just try to always remember which side the oncoming traffic comes from - especially if you are on foot, crossing the road; more especially if it is a dual-carriageway, because it is so easy to revert/make a mistake when you reach/cross the median: Stop, look (the 'opposite' way), and learn!

Not your ornery onager

Were you following me today or something? Lol! I had that "which way is the traffic going" moment and just kept turning my head each way till I was safely across. I'm like a child! Also thanks for the info on wings and bacon - it's like learning a new language!

The freezer thing was class cos before I cold never cook loads and freeze the rest as there was no room to store anything. Also it was pointless buying handy things to keep in the freezer like veg cos it never fit. Im happy with this cos it means I can hopefully make a few decent meals, and not worry about finding small quantities for cooking for one. Now I can have all the nice dinners I like, freeze the rest and not worry about lunch or cooking some nights. It's a huge help really, esp if I'm working late or want to do a bit of exercise after work. All these things are important to me in not getting stressed/anxious/overwhelmed. I do want to start exercising again and eating healthily - got the hot wings out of my system anyway!

Speaking of anxiety, I'm happy to report that despite this massive move on my lonesome, and all the associated stress and sadness with saying goodbye to people, and starting a new job... I'm not one bit anxious. It's actually kinda sad though that the horrible work situations I found myself in were a trigger for the utter awfulness of those feelings (though looking back over my life I do have lots of other examples of feeling anxious in various situations).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

stinkle wrote: »

I'm ok thanks buddy. Got 3 hours kip in the end. How's ur new destination.

Im guessing your gone state side by the comments

Had an eye test today - was very fearful of diabetes or simply damage to the eyes through years of bad sleep / anxiety. Healthy eye, good eyesight, no glasses. Can't believe it. Today is year zero for me, no way is what's in my head - anxiety, depression, whatever - going to destroy my life as a whole. The relief that I had no permanent, physical issues (at least in terms of sight) was just an incredible relief. I'm definitely in Rocky mode now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Great to hear fr! A mark in the sand possibly? Cultivate that feeling.

I also had news yesterday that was objectively disproving a delusion (from the doctor) and it has given me pause for thought. Has my problem been a psychological illness, can I accept that? I would like to but it is very easy to rationalise in yourself back into autopilot.

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Had an eye test today - was very fearful of diabetes or simply damage to the eyes through years of bad sleep / anxiety. Healthy eye, good eyesight, no glasses. Can't believe it. Today is year zero for me, no way is what's in my head - anxiety, depression, whatever - going to destroy my life as a whole. The relief that I had no permanent, physical issues (at least in terms of sight) was just an incredible relief. I'm definitely in Rocky mode now...
    That's great news.

Not your ornery onager

I also had news yesterday that was objectively disproving a delusion (from the doctor) and it has given me pause for thought. Has my problem been a psychological illness, can I accept that? I would like to but it is very easy to rationalise in yourself back into autopilot.

Thanks Jimmy,

What do you mean in your situation, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a problem accepting that physical symptoms may have been prompted by purely mental attributes? Apologies if I'm picking up wrong. You're definitely right about cultivating, we can't allow ourselves to slide back to a "crunch time" moment, got to take an opportunity and grab it. The thing with anxiety and associated however is that these moments of strength are hard to come by. A packed life full of distractions, and especially the basics like good diet and exercise, are the only half easy way I see myself.

Not being smart here, Jimmy, but surely you knew all along that your illness was in the mind?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    That's great news.

Thanks Esel for your help and support, very much appreciated

Jimmy and Esel, you guys signed up in not just the same year but the same month :eek: Now you're going to tell me you're married or something right...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

You're right Esel but this is on another level. As in... like say I've been absolutely convinced that most of my hair has fallen out, the doctor said matter of factly that in that time period I have lost no hair. So that is something that I can't easily just say 'that's your opinion' or fob it off. It is a clear indication that I have been delusional, that ACTUALLY what I have been PHYISICALLY SEEING through my eyeballs has been INCORRECT.

It's hard to explain but I've never gotten to a point where my perception has been challenged to a point where I actually go 'oooohh... could I be like an anorexic, where everybody else IS actually seeing something different to me'.

Sorry for the emphases, but it sounds so obvious that I should have considered this before, and I have, intellectually... but to get a feeling that the dissonance is real! that is the 'psychological illness' im referring to, where there is a TANGIBLE crossing of wires.

fr336 wrote: »
    Jimmy and Esel, you guys signed up in not just the same year but the same month :eek: Now you're going to tell me you're married or something right...:D
    Nah, we're separated. We try to stay on good terms for the kids. :)

Not your ornery onager

You're right Esel but this is on another level. As in... like say I've been absolutely convinced that most of my hair has fallen out, the doctor said matter of factly that in that time period I have lost no hair. So that is something that I can't easily just say 'that's your opinion' or fob it off. It is a clear indication that I have been delusional, that ACTUALLY what I have been PHYISICALLY SEEING through my eyeballs has been INCORRECT.

It's hard to explain but I've never gotten to a point where my perception has been challenged to a point where I actually go 'oooohh... could I be like an anorexic, where everybody else IS actually seeing something different to me'.

Sorry for the emphases, but it sounds so obvious that I should have considered this before, and I have, intellectually, but to get a sense of that, that is the 'psychological illness' im referring to, where there is a TANGIBLE crossing of wires.
    Ah, now I understand.

It is great that you now have this objective knowledge to take on board and use to re-appraise your thinking.

Rooting for you, here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

I hope no one recognizes me :(

LT sufferer of extreme anxiety, am between 28-32 and have never had a job because of it.
    Started 3 years ago (when I addressed problem) on lexapro. Didn't do anything to help. Next came CBT. Nothing, and I tried. Next hypnotherapy. I thought was working until a very bad week-long no-escape-from experience.
    Am now on valium and anafranil, but will be moving to lithium in 2 weeks.

Just looking to get that off my chest as I keep it (the meds) a secret.

Anyone have any experiences with the above - it will be lithium, anafranil, and the valium phased out. I hope to god it works. Anxiety is so debilitating. Many people dont realise it as such.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

cookie24 wrote: »
    Anxiety is so debilitating. Many people dont realise it as such.

They really don't. Most think that "Ah it's just being a bit nervous!" but it's so much deeper than that.

Welcome to the thread Cookie!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement