Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I wish I had yer courage regarding exercise and lifestyle changes such as cutting the junk. :)

I'm full of excuses when it comes to that.

Start with walking Hugo. No one starts running marathons. Don't compare, simply go at your own pace and increase gradually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

shezer wrote: »
    Start with walking Hugo. No one starts running marathons. Don't compare, simply go at your own pace and increase gradually.

Would you relocate to Waterford and be my workout partner? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I wish I had yer courage regarding exercise and lifestyle changes such as cutting the junk. :)

I wonder, if you don't mind me saying, if you are attacking yourself on too many fronts Hugo, that generally will paralyse you from any attempt to get up and go.. I say this because I'm still a bit of a blob who has a few days a week where nothing I do is right, according to me.. People around me don't give a sh1t about my marital status or my weight, I'm using those to club myself..

Would you relocate to Waterford and be my workout partner? :D
    I'll start walking now and you start walking and I'll meet you in Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This can apply to life generally as well as the exercise! For my part start with something you have the potential to enjoy somewhat also - you could say well I feel fat and unfit unhealthy nothing will be enjoyable but go with the best chance. Building stamina in all areas of life is everything - it can get better step by step. My body takes about two or three days to begin to catch up with my activity levels fully. And don't put too much pressure on yourself - start small and work your way up. A great deal of willpower for me comes from having something to look back on and not having to start from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

yis can both collect me on way in kilmeaden so.

She said whilst eating Ben und Gerrys and looking at my ever growin belly and arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

So glad my meds are starting to work now. Not as anxious for school tomorrow like I usually was. :)

It can work miracles. Nothing about courage - this could be what you need, your current situation / demons may have you in shackles. Short term it will definitely be tough, no two ways about it your body will have to adjust to different food and exercise etc, but long term it can mean there are no longer any requirements for the crap comfort food.

handbagmad wrote: »
    yis can both collect me on way in kilmeaden so.

She said whilst eating Ben und Gerrys and looking at my ever growin belly and arse

Your on Hugos side of the halfway. Hugo make sure she doesn't eat all the ice cream and bring it to me :D

If you're willing to walk to Dungarvan then you may as well walk all the way here! :P:D

Thanks for the kind words guys. I do appreciate them all. :)

• Advertisement

So glad my meds are starting to work now. Not as anxious for school tomorrow like I usually was. :)

So happy to hear that IMS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

me too, and going back to the fb thing it looks like everyone I know is on a team, running every day or doing something extreme.

I was doing really well with taking some exercise classes until recently. Some important stuff got in the way and meant I had less time. Then after quitting my job I hurt my foot and genuinely couldnt try anything until this week, despite being full of good intentions about using my time off wisely. I went to a class during the week and ran away before it started as I felt anxious (also a bit sick but not so bad I needed to leave). I went back yesterday and today though and feel ok. Am sitting here with no anxiety - the heavy heart isnt thumping for a change of a sunday night (glenroe symptoms!). I cant remember the last time I didnt have that dread everyday and I was getting the sunday fear despite not having a job anymore. Exercise isnt a a miracle cure and needs to be worked at but it definitely helps me, the laziest person I know. Dunno is it the sense of achievement for doing SOMETHING constructive, or the fact that getting up and going out meant I had less time to faff around and feel bad.

Give something easy a try - a walk is the simplest thing, though a class gives you some structure to work into your day, and if you pay for something it's an incentive to go. There's groupon vouchers for outdoorsy stuff which is a good medium - usually its aimed at beginners and is a one-off. I'm not much of a team person so cant advise much there.

Good luck!

If you're willing to walk to Dungarvan then you may as well walk all the way here! :P:D

Thanks for the kind words guys. I do appreciate them all. :)

You're forgetting about the Ice cream here. If you don't get to Kilmeaden soon it will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

+ 1 on exercise, it can help you feel better about yourself if done often enough. dont start out big, go for a walk and progress on from that when you want to. :)

Dr.Alucard wrote: »
    + 1 on exercise, it can help you feel better about yourself if done often enough. dont start out big, go for a walk and progress on from that when you want to. :)

If you're really overweight though it has less effect the more weighty you are. Going all out with both exercise and ripping up the bad diet is key for a possible turnaround. You start to notice small changes day by day.

You're forgetting about the Ice cream here. If you don't get to Kilmeaden soon it will be gone.

ye are too late poor Ben&jerrys got an awful going over

handbagmad wrote: »
    ye are too late poor Ben&jerrys got an awful going over

Ice cream is a serious feel good food

Everyone tucked up getting their much needed sleep to aid things along? Wait...I see you Hugo :D

fr336 wrote: »
    Everyone tucked up getting their much needed sleep to aid things along? Wait...I see you Hugo :D

Damn my sparkly eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fr336 wrote: »
    If you're really overweight though it has less effect the more weighty you are. Going all out with both exercise and ripping up the bad diet is key for a possible turnaround. You start to notice small changes day by day.
    Not 'going all out', especially with exercise. Small stages, easy steps...

Softly, softly catchee monkey. [This may not be PC these days, but it is an old expression. No insult intended to any minority.]

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Not 'going all out', especially with exercise. Small stages, easy steps...

Softly, softly catchee monkey. [This may not be PC these days, but it is an old expression. No insult intended to any minority.]

Yes sorry - definitely building up and not running before you can walk. What I mean though is the combination of exercise and better diet in such a situation is key at whatever pace.

Good advice there E & F :)

Am gonna hit the hay. Nighty night all!

Damn my sparkly eyes!
    Stop posting for now. Try to get some shut-eye! :)

I can already see you in your new position: healthy breakfast inside (if not, not a deal-breaker :)), bright-eyed, bushy-tailed (not necessarily...), smiling, firm handshake (from you, no control over the other person's hand), slowly settling in, learning the new procedures; walk outside in the fresh air at lunchtime. Eat healthily; not too long more to go before clocking out!

Talk a bit more to your new colleagues (ask a few open questions).

e.g.

Do we chip in for tea/coffee/milk/biscuits, or does everybody bring their own?

Who is the local IT contact? (unless it is you...).

Who do I talk to about access to x,y,z?

What is the wireless network password? (Don't surf non-work stuff at work, even on your own device, but you know that already).

Do you guys take a coffee break? (You may not want to go along if they do, but believe me, you should). You can just sit back, say little, laugh at the jokes (not hysterically, obviously :eek: :)) If the coffee break is taken in your actual workspace, still participate.

NB The above advice re participating in breaks is among the best I was ever given, btw.

Is there a lotto syndicate? Can I join? [ You do not want to be still there when everyone else is retiring after that big win. ]

After-work drinks (occasions/promotions/birthdays/retirements)? Go along, even for 30 minutes. Not every day, or even every payday/Friday, but at the start, for a short while, yes. Sometimes it can be good to say you have something on earlier, but you will drop in later. Get a couple of numbers so you can find where they are at (in case they have moved somewhere else). Drop in a couple of hours later (still sober, or at least not pissed), stay for a while, say hello to a few people. They will all probably be 'happy' at that stage, and the next day you can get involved in the banter, if you want to. At the very least, you won't feel left out.

Pub quiz, occasional day/evening out (bowling, go-karting, etc.) It is all about bonding and building connections. Just don't needlessy spin the boss off on the last bend of the go-kart track! :)

Be grand, man!

ps Please don't reply now if you are still up! After 07:30 is fine, because, then, I can convince myself you are just up out of bed.

Not your ornery onager

Oh SLEEP,
    We had such an amazing time last night,
    Plz come back. This b''ch is tired!

Esel wrote: »
    ps Please don't reply now if you are still up! After 07:30 is fine, because, then, I can convince myself you are just up out of bed.
    Ah ffs! Forgot to add: Don't thank this post before 07:30! :)

Bed! Now!

Sleep, wake, see, do.
    Walk, talk, eat, loo.
    Water, think, meet, queue.
    Pay, day, fee, you.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Listen to Esel, thats some sage wisdom right there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Morning Cloud, how is ya?.

Anxious Grem. Yourself?

Bad form after crap night at work.. Muscles in my jaws all messed up with tension. Happy Monday wha?

• Advertisement

Sounds like you need your bed :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement