Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 versc

Currently looking to buy around Phibsborough. Lived there for a couple of years around 2010.  Great locality. The litter problem and illegal dumping seem to have increased since I lived there. Whats the story with this, is there a bad collection service around here? A lot of people seem to have the bag tags. Do DCC come around to clean up often?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

versc wrote: »
    Currently looking to buy around Phibsborough. Lived there for a couple of years around 2010.  Great locality. The litter problem and illegal dumping seem to have increased since I lived there. Whats the story with this, is there a bad collection service around here? A lot of people seem to have the bag tags. Do DCC come around to clean up often?

Bought here last Feb, been living here six months or so and illegal dumping does seem to be a bit of a problem. However, this appears to be mainly due to the attitudes of people who refuse to pay for waste collection. It's a problem in a lot of places not just here. It's all wheelie bins where I live. We're with City Bin and have had no issues with them. In fact, I was impressed by their willingness to accept a two additional bags of green waste after Christmas. Haven't see much of DCC cleaning up but that's not to say they don't. The local tidy towns group are also very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

old Aviva offices beside mcdonalds look to be flying along with development..new yoga studios going in...
    Anyone know what's the subway story?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

versc wrote: »

It was on RTE news last night that while most places have improved in the annual litter surveys, Dublin's north inner city was one of the few places that deteriorated. They cited the increasing cost of refuse disposal as a reason more people than ever are illegally dumping. I pass through NCR about once a week and I really notice a lot of lanes and alleys with accumulated rubbish/bags etc that you really don't see in other part of the city on such a widespread basis. I lived in Phibsboro until 2005 and don't recall litter being a problem then. Considering a lot of people in that area rent or still use bedsits/flats, I'd have expected that their landlords would pay for refuse collections (is refuse bills generally included in rent? - it was wherever I used to rent) so it suggests owner occupiers are more likely offenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ongarboy wrote: »
    It was on RTE news last night that while most places have improved in the annual litter surveys, Dublin's north inner city was one of the few places that deteriorated. They cited the increasing cost of refuse disposal as a reason more people than ever are illegally dumping. I pass through NCR about once a week and I really notice a lot of lanes and alleys with accumulated rubbish/bags etc that you really don't see in other part of the city on such a widespread basis. I lived in Phibsboro until 2005 and don't recall litter being a problem then. Considering a lot of people in that area rent or still use bedsits/flats, I'd have expected that their landlords would pay for refuse collections (is refuse bills generally included in rent? - it was wherever I used to rent) so it suggests owner occupiers are more likely offenders?

I live in the north inner city. There's a specific problem of tenants not having rubbish collection included in rent, and indeed no proper landlord provision of rubbish storage in multi-renter properties, leading to the street dumping of domestic rubbish as the cheaper/lazier alternative to working out a better household solution. The transient nature of many renters just amplifies the problem. And that's aside from the core problem of affordability of regular collections for low income households. The problem has been there since refuse charges kicked in. Counterfeit waste collection bags provided a stopgap measure, but that's kinda died on the vine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know the story with the closed pub near the Sunnybank, just down the road on the same side towards Phibsborough, think it's called the Botanic House? Place seems totally shut down but it's actually a really nice building, and the windows are open a good bit of the time so there's some activity.

I walked today from Glasnevin to Henry St. through Phibsborough and the litter just breaks my heart. Some of the locals must have no pride at all in their town, it really is awful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone know the story with the closed pub near the Sunnybank, just down the road on the same side towards Phibsborough, think it's called the Botanic House? Place seems totally shut down but it's actually a really nice building, and the windows are open a good bit of the time so there's some activity.

Closed in 2014 (I think it actually closed, reopened and closed again in very short succession but not 100% sure), sold in 2015. The upstairs is/was student apartments so may still be rented out entirely separately.

New Greek restaurant at Cross Guns seekms to be doing brisk trade...will try it out this week and report on it...great to see new businesses open....keep em coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Botanic Inn was listed as part of an allsop auction last year, I had high hopes when it sold as it could be a great spot for a gastropub; scaffolding went up for a while but nothing much seemed to happen and now it's gone again... Would be very interested if anyone knows anything more?

I tried the Greek place last Tuesday, very tasty Gyros and lovely dessert, I hope it lasts as I fear it could be a tough spot for them and like the poster above, I always like to see new businesses in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Zipppy wrote: »
    New Greek restaurant at Cross Guns seekms to be doing brisk trade...will try it out this week and report on it...great to see new businesses open....keep em coming...

Was in there on Saturday evening, food is great imo. Must have been a busy day, as when I popping in they had sold out of gyros already.Did have a plate of delicious char grilled chicken souvlaki.
    The service was pretty shocking, but they had only been open for a few day. When I was leaving another waiter came on and things seemed to be getting on track. Hope they get through the teething problems. As you said its great to see you businesses opening, and can't complain about a decent greek place.

• Advertisement

Burgo wrote:
    Was in there on Saturday evening, food is great imo. Must have been a busy day, as when I popping in they had sold out of gyros already.Did have a plate of delicious char grilled chicken souvlaki. The service was pretty shocking, but they had only been open for a few day. When I was leaving another waiter came on and things seemed to be getting on track. Hope they get through the teething problems. As you said its great to see you businesses opening, and can't complain about a decent greek place.

I looked to call in on Saturday evening but they were out the door....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Every time I go by that Greek place it seems to have a fair few people in it, will definitely have to check it out.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I walked today from Glasnevin to Henry St. through Phibsborough and the litter just breaks my heart. Some of the locals must have no pride at all in their town, it really is awful.

I had heard a rumour that the Against the Grain folk had looked at it a few years back, but it was a no go. Think it would be a great spot for nice pub. Shame really it's just left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I had heard a rumour that the Against the Grain folk had looked at it a few years back, but it was a no go. Think it would be a great spot for nice pub. Shame really it's just left there.

There were looking for suggestions last year and I suggested the botanic house. They said it was too big for what they were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Whats the place that took over the porterhouse like?

sweetie wrote:

Still the Porterhouse...now called the Whitworth...they tried going up market restaurant but kinda failed...so it's really much the same as old place now ðŸŒ

Witherspoon apparently have their eye on a phibsboro venue....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sweetie wrote: »
    Still the Porterhouse...now called the Whitworth...they tried going up market restaurant but kinda failed...so it's really much the same as old place now ðŸŒ

I ate in it last week, thought it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

alastair wrote: »
    I live in the north inner city. There's a specific problem of tenants not having rubbish collection included in rent, and indeed no proper landlord provision of rubbish storage in multi-renter properties, leading to the street dumping of domestic rubbish as the cheaper/lazier alternative to working out a better household solution. The transient nature of many renters just amplifies the problem. And that's aside from the core problem of affordability of regular collections for low income households. The problem has been there since refuse charges kicked in. Counterfeit waste collection bags provided a stopgap measure, but that's kinda died on the vine.

Utilities are the responsibility of the tenant and always have been. We have had waste charges for well over a decade, so it makes no sense for dumping only to be an issue now. In fact I pay less for my waste collection now, than in 2005(its about half).

The main issue was DCC used to collect the stray waste along the road. AFAIK they arent doing it anymore. They dont see it as there issues. I also imagine DCC have slowly being cutting down on the cleaning of roads, footpaths etc hoping people wont notice. I called DCC a few months ago to ask for my road to be swept. I was told they only do it every 6 months in residential areas now ( I think the guy said they used to do it every 3 months). But he said my road hadn't been swept in 9 months.

DCC just arent cleaning roads/footpaths as much which is the real issue IMO

newacc2015 wrote:
    DCC just arent cleaning roads/footpaths as much which is the real issue IMO

DCC are suffering year on year budget cuts...and with the focus now firmly on housing and homelessness other services are taking a hit. Reduced staffing is also an issue.
    fwiw DCC still do clean up of rubbish dumped on roadsides...only a couple of trucks across city though I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

There's a network of laneways near me that are chronic for dumping, really grinds my gears. But there's a page on the DCC website to report dumping and in fairness to them, whenever I've logged anything with them they've sent a van out to remove it within days. Might be of interest to other posters in a similar boat:

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council/isupport

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Utilities are the responsibility of the tenant and always have been.

Not always the case and it's less so for the north inner city. Utilities are often included in the rent, except for the awkward collection of rubbish, where flat rate fees under the council have been replaced by per-bag costs, which are a pain for landlords to manage, so they pass them on to tenants. The problem is less evident in properties that have managed to retain bins, but that's not available to a lot of the inner city housing stock. It's clear that street dumping increased in this area post privatisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Witherspoon apparently have their eye on a phibsboro venue....

Say isn't so! :(
    Tried that new Greek spot tonight (take out). Veggie pita, pretty good. Will be going back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wetherspoons are not buying any further Irish properties until sterling recovers, if ever. If it's not already in the pipeline its not happening

new Cafe opening shortly beside Rothar....

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Yeah looks like the same Kennedys that have places in Fairview and at the hilltop in Raheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

alastair wrote: »
    Not always the case and it's less so for the north inner city. Utilities are often included in the rent, except for the awkward collection of rubbish, where flat rate fees under the council have been replaced by per-bag costs, which are a pain for landlords to manage, so they pass them on to tenants. The problem is less evident in properties that have managed to retain bins, but that's not available to a lot of the inner city housing stock. It's clear that street dumping increased in this area post privatisation.

Believe me, I know a lot of landlords. What you are saving is not the norm at all. When tenants aren't paying for the bills, the heating is on 24/7 and every light is on in the house. Landlords dont want to pay for bills, as tenants abuse them. If you go on daft, you will see nearly all of the properties are excluding bills. Why would a landlord pay €2k for ESB and Gas for the year, but not €150 to the bins company? Seems very unlikely

We privatised bins years ago. We replaced a flat charge for a flat charge. I dont know where you are getting the idea everyone switched to pay per bag. Go up the NCR etc and you will see gardens full of wheelie bins and dumpsters.

We privatised bins years ago. There is more waste on the streets as bin companies and DCC are not collecting bags without a tag. This has nothing to do with privatisation which you seem to imply was quite recent.

There is a lot of people who think bin collection under DCC was world class. That it was efficent and cheap. In fact it was more expensive than now and it was very common for there to be missed collections.

petejmk wrote:
    Yeah looks like the same Kennedys that have places in Fairview and at the hilltop in Raheny.

Zipppy wrote:
    new Cafe opening shortly beside Rothar....

Been in for brunch....it's fab...

newacc2015 wrote: »
    We privatised bins years ago. We replaced a flat charge for a flat charge. I dont know where you are getting the idea everyone switched to pay per bag. Go up the NCR etc and you will see gardens full of wheelie bins and dumpsters.

Where do I get the idea much north inner city housing stock have to use bags, which have never, post privatisation, been a flat charge arrangement? Possibly something to do with actually living in the north inner city for the last twenty years? I never said that 'everyone' had to use bags, but from actually living here, I can tell you that many do. Had to use them during the DCC collection era, and have had to use them since privatisation.

• Advertisement

new vegan Cafe round by snooker hall on canal...looks great...big gym there too...

Advertisement