Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I have a few images of the road surface on connaught street (near Liam Whelan bridge) which I intend sending on to local public reps in the hope of having section resurfaced by DCC...if I post up here would anyone also mail on in support?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Zipppy wrote: »
    I have a few images of the road surface on connaught street (near Liam Whelan bridge) which I intend sending on to local public reps in the hope of having section resurfaced by DCC...if I post up here would anyone also mail on in support?

Have you tried the fixmystreet site? You might have more luck. Posted a couple of potholes on Leinster St a few weeks back and they were filled, not properly repaired, but better than what was there.

petejmk wrote:
    Have you tried the fixmystreet site? You might have more luck. Posted a couple of potholes on Leinster St a few weeks back and they were filled, not properly repaired, but better than what was there.

Ha I put them on fix your street too :)
    This is a big resurfacing job so I reckon public reps needed...

Anyone know whats happening with .... Botanic House? Subway? Old Smurfit land?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Interesting read:

Phibsborough in Dublin 7 has been named as Ireland's property hotspot. (10 September 2016)

I agree the fundamentals - near Grangegorman's new campus, Botanic Gardens, Croker, the canal, city centre and Phoenix Park - are excellent, but that shopping centre and the fly-by-night shops, and big ugly buildings (like this and this and this) are recurrently undermining the place. Shop fronts generally in this city are a law unto themselves, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If that Smurfit site is turned into housing, the traffic will be apocalyptic.

Essentially one lane, notwithstanding the bus lane, townwards.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hardly ground breaking, but I was going by Subway recently and they had a sign up saying they'll be opening again soon under new management.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote:
    Hardly ground breaking, but I was going by Subway recently and they had a sign up saying they'll be opening again soon under new management.

That's there ages....wouldn't say it's happening anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Birneybau wrote: »

I live very close to that. No matter what they do to it I'm terrified of the traffic consequences.

Birneybau wrote: »

I live very close to that. No matter what they do to it I'm terrified of the traffic consequences.

Used to travel it in the mornings, depending on the time...*shudder*

• Advertisement

Phibsboro now a property hotspot

Was a bad link there....fixed now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Apparently there is planning going in for the fruit market site in Smithfield, lot of potential there.

sweetie wrote: »
    Apparently there is planning going in for the fruit market site in Smithfield, lot of potential there.

Yes DCC are to develop some of it it as an 'English' style market like in Cork ..not sure when this is starting though..

Just thinking about pros and cons regards Phibsboro....

Pros
    - Walking distance to city centre (walk to work should you work in city centre :) )
    - Near Croke park, Botanic gardens, Mater Hosp (should you become Ill), Glasnevin cemetery
    - Tesco EddieRockets McDs Burdocks Boots OffLicence all on your doorstep
    - McGowans to find tha tsome one special (even if just for the night ;) )
    - Hedigans Gravediggers BackPage
    - Garda Station at Mountjoy
    - Multiple Bus routes (9, 140, 4, 83, 46a, 122, 40 etc)
    - LUAS due next year
    - Fab new coffee shops (2Boys Brew, Bang Bang) - more needed
    - Grangegorman DIT will be a short walk away
    - Dalymount park just bought by DCC and to be redeveloped into excellent stadium
    - Royal Canal .. walkway cycleway swans water polo ..
    - 2 gyms
    - 3 banks
    - 2 bakeries
    - Phizzfest very active community group
    - pitch and putt course
    - walk to Phoenix park
    - St Bernard Park (Shandon) Canal park, the canal basic, Great western park, community gardens
    - Stoneybatter is a short walk away
    - Smithfield square is nearby
    - Lighthouse cinema is nearby

CONS
    - not enough cafes / coffee shops
    - littering
    - traffic
    - some think shopping centre is ugly...due to be redeveloped at some stage
    - lots of rentals .. some properties are not maintained property

What did I miss?

I think that's a good fair post. The litter can be horrific in some places which really breaks my heart and I there are some fairly ugly buildings around, not limited to the shopping centre.

I ate in Two Boys Brew last weekend and the food was really great and the place was packed which is nice to see.

I ate in Two Boys Brew last weekend and the food was really great and the place was packed which is nice to see.

Gets pretty jammed at weekends...queues and waiting lists....just shows lots more of this needed in area...demand is there!
    just wait till 17000 students are lurking about seeking their coffee fix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Good summary alright. I like how Glasnevin Cemetery is after the Mater on the list just in case the Mater doesn't work out!

Agree on the litter. Shocking at times. Would love to see that little row of units by Camille sorted out. It's a dump as it is.

What did I miss?

Footpath cyclists.

Birneybau wrote:
    Footpath cyclists.

reminds me....need dublin bikes extended...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

Any streets with free parking near the basin?

Moved in a couple days ago, had expected to have a permit by now but there's delays

• Advertisement

dreoilin wrote:
    Any streets with free parking near the basin?

All Shandon roads still free...10 mins walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is the old smurfit land the large derelict site kind of opposite the Sunnybank? Was wondering when something would happen there.

(New enough to the area so still finding my way).

budhabob wrote:
    Is the old smurfit land the large derelict site kind of opposite the Sunnybank? Was wondering when something would happen there.

There's mention of offices residential park etc there in LAP but nothing seems to be happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

There's mention of offices residential park etc there in LAP but nothing seems to be happening...

Planning was originally rejected in 2014 but looks like a modified plan was approved back in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Just thinking about pros and cons regards Phibsboro....

What did I miss?

A decent a Supermarket is the biggest con re Phisboro. That Tesco is easily the worst one in the city by a mile. If you go for a shop in any other Supermarket in the city it is very rare that you dont get everything you need in a shop ie everything is in stock. I have gone to the that Tesco countless times to find 3/4 items out of 10 I need to buy are out of stock.

Even the Tesco Off License makes zero sense. It only sells alcohol. If you buy a spirit you have to go to the other Tesco to buy mixer, as the Off License doesnt stock soft drinks/mixers. It is only Off License I know in the City that doesnt have a single fridge in it ie you can only buy warm beer and wine there

newacc2015 wrote: »
    A decent a Supermarket is the biggest con re Phisboro. That Tesco is easily the worst one in the city by a mile. If you go for a shop in any other Supermarket in the city it is very rare that you dont get everything you need in a shop ie everything is in stock. I have gone to the that Tesco countless times to find 3/4 items out of 10 I need to buy are out of stock.

Even the Tesco Off License makes zero sense. It only sells alcohol. If you buy a spirit you have to go to the other Tesco to buy mixer, as the Off License doesnt stock soft drinks/mixers. It is only Off License I know in the City that doesnt have a single fridge in it ie you can only buy warm beer and wine there

All very true....lots of food out of date there too..
    Its a 2 min walk from my house so, unfortunately, I end up there a lot :(

Re the off licence I did hear that it might be closed with an expanded space at back of supermarket used instead...so less space for food no doubt...time will tell..

Totally agree on the Tesco, is rubbish, but it's not far too the one in Finglas and there's also a Lidl down beyond the cemetery so I tend to use those instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It is only Off License I know in the City that doesnt have a single fridge in it ie you can only buy warm beer and wine there

Most Tesco branches have possibly a white wine fridge and a single beer fridge, containing usually the dearest options to buy Guinness, Heineken and little else. Having no fridges is only a small step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

If you want a good offie just walk 5 minutes up to road to Sweeneys at Harts Corner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

matrim wrote: »
    If you want a good offie just walk 5 minutes up to road to Sweeneys at Harts Corner

One of the best on the northside imo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement