Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

matrim wrote: »
    If you want a good offie just walk 5 minutes up to road to Sweeneys at Harts Corner

Great wine selection.........

.....feck now I want wine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

newacc2015 wrote: »
    A decent a Supermarket is the biggest con re Phisboro. That Tesco is easily the worst one in the city by a mile. If you go for a shop in any other Supermarket in the city it is very rare that you dont get everything you need in a shop ie everything is in stock. I have gone to the that Tesco countless times to find 3/4 items out of 10 I need to buy are out of stock.

The Drumcondra Tesco is worse. Phibsboro Tesco is the "good" Tesco that I do a weekly shop in, cos it's got much more than Drumcondra.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

cactusgal wrote: »
    The Drumcondra Tesco is worse. Phibsboro Tesco is the "good" Tesco that I do a weekly shop in, cos it's got much more than Drumcondra.

The Drumcondra Tesco isn't a "proper" Tesco though, it's a "Tesco Metro", so is expected to stock less.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Tesco up on the Navan Rd is much better

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Zipppy wrote: »
    What did I miss?

Con:

Victorian and Georgian buildings with visible wires all around the outside. Makes an eyesore out of otherwise beautiful buildings.

• Advertisement

I see Burdocks closed up today .. signs gone..inside ripped out..is it gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I see Burdocks closed up today .. signs gone..inside ripped out..is it gone?

Ah no way! :(

Nothing ever really lasts in that location. I remember years ago with it was Kentucky Fried Chicken. Not to be confused with KFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

SB_Part2 wrote:
    Nothing ever really lasts in that location. I remember years ago with it was Kentucky Fried Chicken. Not to be confused with KFC!

Has a Star*ucks written all over it so!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Genuinely devastated to see Burdocks go :( Often get a pre-game chipper there before heading into Dalymount.

I would have thought they were doing decent business?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote:

GLaDOS wrote:
    Genuinely devastated to see Burdocks go Often get a pre-game chipper there before heading into Dalymount.

perhaps it's just renovations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

What's Mcgowans like these days?,been a good few years since I was in there but always enjoyed a night out in the place,cousin of mine is living in Phibsbough now so we're heading there for a night out in a few weeks.

pkvader wrote:
    What's Mcgowans like these days?,been a good few years since I was in there but always enjoyed a night out in the place,cousin of mine is living in Phibsbough now so we're heading there for a night out in a few weeks.

Still a meat market.....if that's what your into? :)

Always good craic in McGowans..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Still a meat market.....if that's what your into? :)

Always good craic in McGowans..

Ha hasn't changed much so!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Genuinely devastated to see Burdocks go :( Often get a pre-game chipper there before heading into Dalymount.

The golden chip just a little further up is far superior than burdocks ever was,for me anyways.No sign of that cranky husband and wife pair shutting down,they know what game their in,and they play it well.

The golden chip just a little further up is far superior than burdocks ever was,for me anyways.No sign of that cranky husband and wife pair shutting down,they know what game their in,and they play it well.

Was closed for few days a week while back..
    must say don't like it....awful smell of old cooking oil outta the place...
    Options getting tight now though...
    new place called Taste Buds down the road now opposite Dr Quirkeys money laundry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Ah no way! :(

Texas Fried Chicken, if I recall correctly. And not forgeting Pennys a few doors down from it. The sooner that shopping centre is imploded and replaced by something that's not a behemoth of an eyesore the better. It's a horrible blight on an area which next to the canal, the Botanic Gardens, Croke Park, the Luas from next year and so much else could be so much nicer. Hopefully when it's being knocked down the Council will then address the poor footpaths, shop fronts and the two Des Kelly eyesore buildings in Phibsboro also. We are being poorly served by DCC as long as this travesty continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Never liked Burdocks, always found their chips to be mush. Teos on the New Cabra Road is far superior, probably one of the best in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Texas Fried Chicken, if I recall correctly. And not forgeting Pennys a few doors down from it. The sooner that shopping centre is imploded and replaced by something that's not a behemoth of an eyesore the better. It's a horrible blight on an area which next to the canal, the Botanic Gardens, Croke Park, the Luas from next year and so much else could be so much nicer. Hopefully when it's being knocked down the Council will then address the poor footpaths, shop fronts and the two Des Kelly eyesore buildings in Phibsboro also. We are being poorly served by DCC as long as this travesty continues.

It was Kentucky first and then changed to Texas because of the copyright infringement with KFC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

mosi wrote: »
    Never liked Burdocks, always found their chips to be mush. Teos on the New Cabra Road is far superior, probably one of the best in the area.

Agree, Teos is the best in the locality since Matassa on Mountjoy St. changed ownership.

skinnie wrote:
    Agree, Teos is the best in the locality since Matassa on Mountjoy St. changed ownership.

must give em a try....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was closed for few days a week while back..
    must say don't like it....awful smell of old cooking oil outta the place...
    Options getting tight now though...
    new place called Taste Buds down the road now opposite Dr Quirkeys money laundry...

I last stood in the Golden Chip about three years back and the stench of used oil in the place was overwhelming. I was pissed so it didnt stop me from ordering but I shouldnt have been surprised to get a portion of chips with little black specs on them- a clear sign the oil is well passed its lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

gaiscioch wrote: »

I feel Phibsboro is the natural northside student home the way Rathmines was for southside years ago. Not sure if students can even afford to live in Rathmines these days but I wish Phibsboro could emulate the success of Rathmines village in some ways with more quality (but not necessarily expensive) type shops, restaurants and cafes. Two Boys Brew is a perfect example of the new type of business that shoudl be welcomed. A Swan Centre type development with cinema could replace the shopping centre which is really just an ugly neigbhourhood strip mall in it's current guise.

Another criticism of Phibsboro is that too many of the retail units along the approaches to Doyles Corner (particularly on the NCR and down to McGowans) are made up of trashy discount stores selling knock off runners, tracksuits, pound shop tat etc along with an over abundance of charity shops. It just gives the area a shabby almost seedy vibe. The old AIB at Doyle's corner is crying out for an anchor draw to the area and the awful abandoned bookies at the opposite corner is such an excellent location for a people watching cafe.

With Grangegorman fully occupied and the LUAS operational, let's hope we see more quality businesses more likely to move in. I'm not saying Phibsboro's existing charm should be compromised by soulless chains moving in but some of the existing businesses do nothing for the area if I'm honest.....starting with the strip from the old skating rink (Des Kellys?) as far as the post office definitely needs a reshuffle of newer better businesses.

ongarboy wrote:
    I feel Phibsboro is the natural northside student home the way Rathmines was for southside years ago. Not sure if students can even afford to live in Rathmines these days but I wish Phibsboro could emulate the success of Rathmines village in some ways with more quality (but not necessarily expensive) type shops, restaurants and cafes. Two Boys Brew is a perfect example of the new type of business that shoudl be welcomed. A Swan Centre type development with cinema could replace the shopping centre which is really just an ugly neigbhourhood strip mall in it's current guise.

ongarboy wrote:
    Another criticism of Phibsboro is that too many of the retail units along the approaches to Doyles Corner (particularly on the NCR and down to McGowans) are made up of trashy discount stores selling knock off runners, tracksuits, pound shop tat etc along with an over abundance of charity shops. It just gives the area a shabby almost seedy vibe. The old AIB at Doyle's corner is crying out for an anchor draw to the area and the awful abandoned bookies at the opposite corner is such an excellent location for a people watching cafe.

ongarboy wrote:
    With Grangegorman fully occupied and the LUAS operational, let's hope we see more quality businesses more likely to move in. I'm not saying Phibsboro's existing charm should be compromised by soulless chains moving in but some of the existing businesses do nothing for the area if I'm honest.....starting with the strip from the old skating rink (Des Kellys?) as far as the post office definitely needs a reshuffle of newer better businesses.

Couldn't agree more with all your suggestions... excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    It was Kentucky first and then changed to Texas because of the copyright infringement with KFC. :)

Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken. They had the units on the extreme left and right of the shopping centre. They took on a unit on lower O'Connell St in the early 80s and KFC opened a few doors down out of spite, I think. It worked and PGFFC got into trouble fast.

They then got rid of most people over 16 and brought in 16 year olds and had them working illegal hours across the branches. The manageresses of the two Phibsboro stores were laid off/got rid off/made redundant and there were pickets outside the shops. Circa 1984 I think.

I see today that....
    - Mary's in the shopping centre is gone
    - Camile Thai has applied for PP to extend into unit next door
    - Old drinks direct unit is being renovated... any idea what's going in to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

ongarboy wrote: »

The problem is literally 2/3 families own a lot of Phisboro. I worked for a business and the owner owned a ton of the shops, a ton of houses around there and a factory there. They dont spend a cent on their stores they have open to the public and arent going to spend anything on units they have let to other businesses

If Phisboro was Brooklyn, all the single story stores would have been demolished and replace with 15/20 storey apartment blocks. But this is Dublin and you 'need to keep in tone with the area'. It doesnt make a ton of sense to demolish a single storey shop to replace it with a 2/3 storey building.

The shopping centre IMO should be replaced with a building as high as the existing one and the entire length of the building. Even a building 5/10 storeys higher than the existing one. Phisboro needs a landmark and huge amount of office workers in the area to under go massive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I see today that....
    - Mary's in the shopping centre is gone
    - Camile Thai has applied for PP to extend into unit next door
    - Old drinks direct unit is being renovated... any idea what's going in to it?

I also noticed To Let signs on the other empty unit next door to Subway. As well as that I saw signs up on the hoarding on the site next to Sweeneys Off Licence which have announced that it is going to be a creche. I hope they will have adequate parking at the front of it or it could cause traffic problems in the mornings with people dropping off kids.

I wonder will that traffic pinch point right outside where Subway/Camile/McDonalds ever get sorted out? It would mean CPOing the front section of McDonalds to make the road slightly wider.

As for the Phibsboro Tower- does anyone know if it is still the case that the building itself wont be knocked down but instead re-clad with something that looks better than the current grey concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Ir's got a massive telephone exchange in it so can't be demolished!

Muahahaha wrote:
    I also noticed To Let signs on the other empty unit next door to Subway. As well as that I saw signs up on the hoarding on the site next to Sweeneys Off Licence which have announced that it is going to be a creche. I hope they will have adequate parking at the front of it or it could cause traffic problems in the mornings with people dropping off kids.

Signs? I wonder have they planning permission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Is it just me, or is anyone else dismayed at the fact that DCC allow that parking strip at Tesco Phibsboro to remain in use in its current dimensions.

It's a breeding ground for vehicle tips and scrapes. I've used the car park about 10 times in the last year and seen two incidences of tips and scrapes, and one instance where cars had to exit the car park via the entrance early in the morning as a van and an svu had left too narrow a gap for cars to squeeze through.

Worst car park everrr.

Advertisement