Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

^^ Agreed, Kilkenny are just better at the art of tackling like they are at most other skills of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Stickwork is the key to Kilkenny, Waterford's stickwork was excellent for around 75% of the match, kilkenny's for about 85-90%, that to me was the difference. pressure on the player in possession makes all the difference, 11 clear lost possessions by Waterford that led to Kilkenny scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    ask the rest of the hurling community how they feel
    we were commenting...

what, you were chatting with the rest of the hurling community yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

aveytare wrote: »
    While it was embarrassing and he should be ashamed, why should he be suspended unlike Michael Shields against Kerry, O'Donoghue in last year's all-ireland final, or countless other examples over the years (I include Tyrone players in that)? Is this the first time a dive's brought the game into disrepute?

It wasn't his first dive of the match either. Whatever has gone on in the past there should have been action taken on too. That shouldn't stop action being taken now. The GAA need to make a stand quickly on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I thought Gavin gave a few poor calls against Kilkenny yesterday, O Keefe dragging down Walsh, Moran catching Alyward on the head with the hurley and no free and Fives, I think, getting Colin Fennelly in a headlock and winning a free out.
    I'd say it'll be Owens for the final regardless of who wins on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

you are in denial, my kilkenny friend

we were commenting that we wouldn't get away, in club games, with a quarter of the stuff Kilkenny do in every game.

Wouldn't have any qualms with how the game was referred yesterday to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

washman3 wrote: »
    Hard to believe that neither Des or any of the panel picked up on Keegan's 8 or 9 steps before scoring Mayo's second goal.

what are on about, just re watching it now, he took at most 5 steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

we were commenting that we wouldn't get away, in club games, with a quarter of the stuff Kilkenny do in every game.
    Wouldn't have any qualms with how the game was referred yesterday to be honest

I think a lot of people would have the opinion that intercounty teams get away with more than club teams, however nice_guy80's peculiar obsession with Kilkenny means that he cannot see that this applies to all inter county teams, not just Kilkenny.

This obsession has become slightly amusing at this stage, I always look out for his comments in match day threads when Kilkenny are playing, it's amazing that over the years, for a man who constantly promotes himself as being such an expert on the application of the rules of hurling, he has never once noticed an incident where Kilkenny were hard done by or were on the receiving end of an injustice.

nice_guy80 you're constantly ****ing on about Kilkenny being refereed differently to the rest, why don't you once and for all step up and prove it. Upload a recording of the match to youtube, and post your analysis of the game here along with the clear evidence of Kilkenny being refereed differently to the rest.

Any game will do even, and for each and every example you give I guarantee you you will be provided a counter example showing another team doing the exact same.

To give you some help, here's a fellow referee's analysis of Brian Gavin's performance yesterday John Bannon: Good job, but Brian Gavin should have awarded more frees You'll note that of the three incidents that he highlights where wrong decisions were made all three went against Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'd say the rest of the hurling community is depressed after yesterday but for different reasons i.e. KK in another AI.

Don't know where you're from but your assessment of the ref tells me more about the standard of refereeing in your county than at IC level.

I think a lot of people would have the opinion that intercounty teams get away with more than club teams, however nice_guy80's peculiar obsession with Kilkenny means that he cannot see that this applies to all inter county teams, not just Kilkenny.

This obsession has become slightly amusing at this stage, I always look out for his comments in match day threads when Kilkenny are playing, it's amazing that over the years, for a man who constantly promotes himself as being such an expert on the application of the rules of hurling, he has never once noticed an incident where Kilkenny were hard done by or were on the receiving end of an injustice.

nice_guy80 you're constantly ****ing on about Kilkenny being refereed differently to the rest, why don't you once and for all step up and prove it. Upload a recording of the match to youtube, and post your analysis of the game here along with the clear evidence of Kilkenny being refereed differently to the rest.

Any game will do even, and for each and every example you give I guarantee you you will be provided a counter example showing another team doing the exact same.

To give you some help, here's a fellow referee's analysis of Brian Gavin's performance yesterday John Bannon: Good job, but Brian Gavin should have awarded more frees You'll note that of the three incidents that he highlights where wrong decisions were made all three went against Kilkenny

Bannon is wrong on the first one, Walshs two feet were of the ground and so his momentum took him through O Keeffe. He would have tried to stand him up but he knocked him over so that was correct in my opinion.

Don't remember the advantage one, Hogan had one really bad miss where he was on his own. I would be of the opinion that there was plenty of advantage there though not sure what the rule states.

The lineball was incorrect but linesmans job. I think Gavin gave the best refereeing display of the year yesterday to be brutally honest.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Lol. I love it.

You actually love players faking contact to get an opponent sent off, teenagers targetting opponents who have lost family members, players spitting at opponents, subs and supporters running onto the pitch to get involved in brawls and all those other incidents that have stained the reputation of Tyrone football, senior, underage, club etc.?

You see, Tyrone supporters can rightly point to, say, nasty things said by this player from this county, or the punch thrown by the player from that county, or the dive by the other player from the other county. But no other county plumbs all the depths, and do it so regularly. And the real head scratcher in all of this is that they need not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Bannon is wrong on the first one, Walshs two feet were of the ground and so his momentum took him through O Keeffe. He would have tried to stand him up but he knocked him over so that was correct in my opinion.

Don't remember the advantage one, Hogan had one really bad miss where he was on his own. I would be of the opinion that there was plenty of advantage there though not sure what the rule states.

The lineball was incorrect but linesmans job. I think Gavin gave the best refereeing display of the year yesterday to be brutally honest.

I'm not complaining about Gavin's performance (well, excluding the fact that he should have booked Coughlan for throwing the hurl, having a full back on a yellow for the majority of the game etc...), but my point is, if as asserted by nice_guy80 Kilkenny are refereed differently to everyone else, wouldn't a single instance of this be highlighted in an article written by a referee assessing another referee's performance?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

aveytare wrote:
    While it was embarrassing and he should be ashamed, why should he be suspended unlike Michael Shields against Kerry, O'Donoghue in last year's all-ireland final, or countless other examples over the years (I include Tyrone players in that)? Is this the first time a dive's brought the game into disrepute?

I think that's a great attitude. If my county player did that I'd be embarrassed too, but like everyone else you'd nearly end up defending him as everyone with an axe to grind against your county pile in.

I think JOD is up there with the most frequent offenders but he's the best footballer that does it so he gets extra attention, but looking at some games as a neutral for example I couldnt decide who I'd like to see lose more between Cork and Kerry :) but it looked like the player played for the penno and shields was a joke . I'm also 99.99% sure the penno wouldn't have impacted on the final result. Different day, different opposition, less time on the clock it would be a different story.

I think Michael Murphy gets more rough play against him than any player in the country atm, as a result I'd cut him some slack with the abuse he gets and the reaction it can inspire, Mayo are well able to play close to the line too. I shouldn't be allowed make up rules :)
    But former players suggesting to pull the tail of a particular player is also supportive of the overall environment we are in where we are close to the line in accepting this behaviour into the game or standing against it.

Some players run the length of the field to grab lads by the throat. I'm not naming them, however I've seen lads form my own county return the favour.

These things are not good, defending them is understandable but essentially wrong too.

However mid championship we can't start handing out bans imho.
    I agree with aveytare, we can't ban lads now. We should recognize that some of our own lads do this type of thing, avoid defending it blindly and using video analysis after games player should be reprimanded, starting next year.

Hopefully the ref for the upcoming Tyrone Kerry game will not be influenced by management teams and he'll call decisions regardless of the colour of the Jersey or the name of the player.

OKeefe put both his arms around Wally and pulled him down. Even OGrady conceded it should have been a free.

citykat wrote: »
    OKeefe put both his arms around Wally and pulled him down. Even OGrady conceded it should have been a free.

No point in *us arguing about it but watch it again and you'll see he jumps into him, both his feet were off the ground. That's a foul as per the rule book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Gavin is the best of the hurling referees, Owens second, the rest are poor, worst IMO is Kelly.
    I thought the walsh incident was the correct decision, if anything he charged straight at o'keefe, the keepers hands went out an he grabbed onto Walsh to break the fall, which is what most people would do, it was not as if Walsh was past him and he pulled him down, Walsh made no attempt to go around him, he possibly could have called Walsh for charging

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

citykat wrote: »

Walsh probably could have done a better job to go 'around' O'Keefe. But O'Keefe made the decision to wrap his arms around Walsh so that Walsh wouldn't get past him or be able to pass the ball.

1039196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No point in *us arguing about it but watch it again and you'll see he jumps into him, both his feet were off the ground. That's a foul as per the rule book.

Sorry I had also posted about this incident before I saw your post.

Overall Gavin did a good job yesterday.
    I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fariness, Walsh bulldozed straight through O'Keefe(?), should have been a free out before he was dragged down anyway

Just after. Wally's trying to jump out of O'Keefe's way. He took another half dozen steps after that in which time O'Keefe put his arms around him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You actually love players faking contact to get an opponent sent off, teenagers targetting opponents who have lost family members, players spitting at opponents, subs and supporters running onto the pitch to get involved in brawls and all those other incidents that have stained the reputation of Tyrone football, senior, underage, club etc.?

You see, Tyrone supporters can rightly point to, say, nasty things said by this player from this county, or the punch thrown by the player from that county, or the dive by the other player from the other county. But no other county plumbs all the depths, and do it so regularly. And the real head scratcher in all of this is that they need not.

no I love that the whole county has lost its **** and that Tyrone are the big bad guys again. Shows we're doing something right.

If every single incident in the Tyrone Monaghan game was the other way round we'd still be getting all the crap. McCann would be Getting the attention for pulling hair rather than the dive. It's all bollocks and I'm over it.

The bitterness has got yo such levels now that I enjoy reading the anti Tyrone nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

no I love that the whole county has lost its **** and that Tyrone are the big bad guys again. Shows we're doing something right.

If every single incident in the Tyrone Monaghan game was the other way round we'd still be getting all the crap. McCann would be the crater of attention for pulling hair rather than the dive. It's all bollocks end I'm over it.

The bitterness has got yo such levels now that I enjoy reading the anti Tyrone nonsense.

Do you really believe that?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Do you really believe that?

Yep. At the very least he wouldn't be getting off scot free like Hughes has done.

Do you honestly think if a Tyrone player pulled someone's hair nothing and I mean nothing would be said to him?

If you do then you're deluded.

They are not that big, they were in the 00s.

They have made an All Ireland semi where they are underdogs. They haven't won anything yet. So the idea that the criticism is based on bitterness at their success is amusing.

They are not that big, they were in the 00s.

They have made an All Ireland semi where they are underdogs. They haven't won anything yet. So the idea that the criticism is based on bitterness at their success is amusing.

I'm happy your amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Yep. At the very least he wouldn't be getting off scot free like Hughes has done.

Do you honestly think if a Tyrone player pulled someone's hair nothing and I mean nothing would be said to him?

If you do then you're deluded.

I'm not deluded, I just think you're being a little paranoid.

People are rightfully highlighting how poor it was from McCann. You can be guaranteed if someone from Mayo done it, for example, they would be polarised just as much.

4e36d175659f5f7064649eb6c58bbc6a4673cf57.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

I dont think he actually even pulled his hair tbh...Thats what makes it sadder again...

I'm happy your amused.

Oh and I'm happy that you love the spitting, sledging footballers about their dead fathers, diving, cheating etc.

You have a lot of material to keep you happy for a long time.

We're all happy all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Getting off scot free? Are you saying that Hughes should be disciplined or criticised for the heinous act of tussling McCanns hair? What a strange thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Getting off scot free? Are you saying that Hughes should be disciplined or criticised for the heinous act of tussling McCanns hair? What a strange thing to say.

No he's claiming Hughes pulled his hair. Because he's trying to wind people up because he's stuck defending the indefensible, so pretending to find it all very amusing or chalk it all down to envy is a good defence mechanism.

PS I'm from Kilkenny, I honestly couldn't give a toss who wins the football, and I'm certainly not envious of any county's success, and it's certainly not an anti-Tyrone thing, since I obviously have no grudge to bear there. If a KK man did what McCann did, I would be ashamed of him. He's an embarrassment to himself and an embarrassment to his county. Jayop might be amused by everyone's reaction, but the bottom line is McCann has turned his county jersey into a laughing stock. And if he isn't punished the whole sport will suffer.

Advertisement