Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most self entitled thing you've ever seen....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I remember getting a wedding invite from a cousin once which had "Wedding gifts available from Brown Thomas" printed at the bottom of it. All that was missing were the words "hint hint" in brackets beside it. I didn't bother getting them a gift after that, the cheek of 'em

The only person self-entitled there is you. You chose not to bring a gift to their wedding because you were offended that they asked for gifts from a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

[QUOTE=Idobai;90747453. So AH, what's the most self entitled thing you've ever heard/seen?[/QUOTE]

A person who boasted about spending several hundred euro for a pure bred puppy in the queue for a mobile charity clinic to get a cheap vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

A certain Dublin footballer who will remain nameless but bleached his hair.
    After a fall out with Pillar Caffrey he was offered a clean slate and communicated to by lower management.
    "League campaign starting soon, how are you fixed with a clean slate and all that?"
    Reply "E-mail me the fixture list and I'll see if it suits me"
    A great talent who thankfully never played for Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Merkin wrote: »
    But it's probably the most outrageous tale of self entitlement you will ever hear. Think about it. A wedding guest decides to leave a series of very personalized wedding gifts for the loving couple i.e. plasters an entire wedding venue and himself in sh1te, the groom has to go and purchase new clothes for the serial sh!tter in question and then the aforementioned has the TEMERITY to have a go at the groom about the replacement clothes leg length. :eek: If that's not the most outrageous story of self entitlement you've ever heard I'd love to hear one that beats it.

I am not sure its even self entitlement though. If someone does all that I wouldn't think they were self entitled I would think they have serious mental (and possibly digestive) issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

After a fall out with Pillar Caffrey he was offered a clean slate and communicated to by lower management.
    "League campaign starting soon, how are you fixed with a clean slate and all that?"

M.V.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Weddings bring out the worst of this behaviour (self-entitlement, not sh*tting) and I have witnessed some enormously self-entitled crap surrounding them.

* A Chief bridesmaid demanding that her dress be different to the others as she is the main bridesmaid.

* A bride demanding that her visually impaired bridesmaid ditch her much needed glasses for the day as they would ruin photos.

* Another bride demanding a redo of thoughtful aspects of her hen night as 'it was not special enough'.

*Yet another bride bitching about girls who couldn't make her hen weekend abroad which took place 6 weeks before her wedding, which was also abroad.

I could go on, but sh*t is more interesting. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Know of someone getting married over the summer and like many unemployed they're heading off to Spain to do the deed.

This sentence is teh funneh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    That must be rough :( Are we talking irritable bowel or something, eh, a little wetter?

Ulcerative colitis. Bloody awful ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

A lad I work with was telling me a story of friends of his that are due to be married this August.

The bride had asked her best mate to be her chief bridesmaid when she got engaged, and now that the wedding is fast approaching, the proposed chief bridesmaid is no longer taking part, due to the fact that she is currently pregnant.

The bride asked her not to be a bridesmaid in her current condition, as she would "ruin the photos with her bump"!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

CPSW wrote: »
    A lad I work with was telling me a story of friends of his that are due to be married this August.

The bride had asked her best mate to be her chief bridesmaid when she got engaged, and now that the wedding is fast approaching, the proposed chief bridesmaid is no longer taking part, due to the fact that she is currently pregnant.

The bride asked her not to be a bridesmaid in her current condition, as she would "ruin the photos with her bump"!

I was in a similar situation. I wasn't pregnant but was undergoing treatment that meant I could have been. Obviously I am no longer friends with the bride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would *love* that bride to get pregnant and have a bump at the wedding herself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I was in a similar situation. I wasn't pregnant but was undergoing treatment that meant I could have been. Obviously I am no longer friends with the bride.

Stories like that appal me. What is it about weddings that turn some people into the most selfish, insensitive yokes ever!
    I love the phrase in the OP about 'not making the cut'...seriously, these people probably imagine there are hordes of potential guests crying their eyes out cos they weren't deemed special enough to spend a week in Spain, at a designated hotel, handing over their presents in cash, in order not to inconvenience the newly wed Mr and Mrs Entitled. FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

An ex-work colleague of mine was having major problems with self-entitled guests while planning for his wedding.

They had limited funds and could only afford 50 in the wedding party. A lot of distant family members who weren't invited had said they would turn up anyway. Plus, the bride and grooms family didn't get on and there was a huge amount of "If X goes, I won't be there" talk.

Then a few people threw hissy fits about he rooms they were allocated by the hotel demanding better rooms because they deemed themselves important members of the family.

So they uninvited everyone who caused trouble and that left the immediate family. In their place they invited work colleagues instead. We were told the cost of the invitation was that we might have to act as bouncers to get rid of uninvited guests. Although I didn't have to do anything, I was told that a distant cousin showed up demanding to be let in to the church service. She wasn't even invited in the first place and the police came to advise her to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think that is self entitled at all, if I was asked to volunteer for something that would take up as much time as a Gaelic season I'd need to know the dates before I could commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

B*tches be tripping! :mad: So god damn rude! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ronjo

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think that is self entitled at all, if I was asked to volunteer for something that would take up as much time as a Gaelic season I'd need to know the dates before I could commit.

You will be missed badly by the Dubs this year..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A person who boasted about spending several hundred euro for a pure bred puppy in the queue for a mobile charity clinic to get a cheap vaccine.

The missus get's this in work all the time, people with dogs that cost £600+ asking for discount cause they're on benefits. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I was at a fellow Boardsie's wedding recently where, after an unfortunate minor incident I don't wanna get into, I needed to borrow a new change of clothes from the groom. He comes back and the jeans are way too long for me. I looked like I was halfway through a shrinking sequence in a sci-fi film! Completely impractical.

I point this out and his missus starts going on about how I ruined their wedding and their special day. :rolleyes: Calm down, love. It's not all about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was at a fellow Boardsie's wedding recently where, after an unfortunate minor incident I don't wanna get into, I needed to borrow a new change of clothes from the groom. He comes back and the jeans are way too long for me. I looked like I was halfway through a shrinking sequence in a sci-fi film! Completely impractical.

I point this out and his missus starts going on about how I ruined their wedding and their special day. :rolleyes: Calm down, love. It's not all about you.

C+.

Could do better, but kudos for being the first person to think of it.

That's mad Ted. I mentioned my sis earlier in the thread, but this made me realise she's not too bad. One of her bridesmaids is pregnant and will be nearly full-term at the wedding. My sister still wanted to be part of it. Unfortunately she lives abroad so won't be able to travel, but she's still an honorary bridesmaid. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mauzo....some people have trouble free weddings that are soon forgotten and never spoke of again!! you are todays internet winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I know a person in town and when you mention his name most people facepalm, pretty much despised by everyone. He nearly trips trying to get out of the seat at mass so he can go give out communion knocking all others who try out of the way. Kind of person who when he does anything community based he is commander and chief, but because of not being liked most do the opposite of what he says to get a rise out of him. Not nice I know but really and truly can't be helped. He brings it on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tarzana wrote: »
    That's mad Ted. I mentioned my sis earlier in the thread, but this made me realise she's not too bad. One of her bridesmaids is pregnant and will be nearly full-term at the wedding. My sister still wanted to be part of it. Unfortunately she lives abroad so won't be able to travel, but she's still an honorary bridesmaid. ;)

Can I interest you in some magic beans? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm a little confused by this, whenever this situation has happened in the past I've see the bridesmaid, withdraw herself from the party.
    Fair enough if you're close friends you'd probably want her there regardless but I don't see this as the worst case of self entitled.

That may also be due to the benchmark being set by The Liquid Defecator™

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Jason1984 wrote: »
    The recent Aer Lingus cabin crew strike.

The recent pay increase of the Head of Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sitting at the barbers, no queue system, but everyone kind of knows when it's thier turn.
    When I came in, there were 4 people there, 2 people arrived after me.

The last of the 2 that arrived sat down talking loudly on his phone about some important email that he was expecting and complaining to the person on the other end of the line. So the guy starts saying that he has just checked his mail, it was not sent 25 minutes ago yada yada.
    He then hangs up, checks his mail and obviously realises the mail is there.
    Calls back the person to say it just arrived.

Just as all this d*ckish behaviour came to a conclusion, one of the barbers called 'next', the 4 guys who were waiting ahead of me were finalising who was going to get into the barbers chair and one of the lads stood up. Then Mr. Important Businness man stands up, blocks the other lads way and says quite loudly 'well if no-one else is going, I will'.
    Absolute d*ck. Luckily the younger lad stood up for himself and said it was his turn. Mr. Important Email sat down and toffed and sulked until I had left the establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Candie wrote: »
    I just want to say this is the funniest thing in the whole thread.

The Sh!t Shawshanker!

Again, sorry Mauzo. :)

Your responses are cracking me up...I can sense your inner turmoil between finding it funny vs finding it disgusting and empathising with Mauzo :D

Kirby wrote: »
    Can I interest you in some magic beans? :P

:confused: Don't get the joke. All I said is true. My sister was distraught and tried very hard to have some way to have her there, she is one of her oldest friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

grundie wrote: »
    An ex-work colleague of mine was having major problems with self-entitled guests while planning for his wedding.

They had limited funds and could only afford 50 in the wedding party. A lot of distant family members who weren't invited had said they would turn up anyway. Plus, the bride and grooms family didn't get on and there was a huge amount of "If X goes, I won't be there" talk.

Then a few people threw hissy fits about he rooms they were allocated by the hotel demanding better rooms because they deemed themselves important members of the family.

So they uninvited everyone who caused trouble and that left the immediate family. In their place they invited work colleagues instead. We were told the cost of the invitation was that we might have to act as bouncers to get rid of uninvited guests. Although I didn't have to do anything, I was told that a distant cousin showed up demanding to be let in to the church service. She wasn't even invited in the first place and the police came to advise her to move on.

That reminds me of a fella who turned up to my Grandmothers funeral over a decade ago.I'd never met this guy before and my father was introducing him to me and one of my cousins saying these are two of her Grandsons....before he could finish the sentence yer man very abruptly said "I know who they are" and walked off.I saw him behaving the same way with a few more people during the service.I found out later that he was a distant cousin of my Grandmothers from up the country and he was still in a huff with our family because he haden't been invited to my brothers wedding 5 years previously.I never even knew this asshole existed prior to this and I very much doubt my brother did either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Ugh. I was waiting for an appointment in the waiting room of a private hospital this morning. An ould wan was bitching and moaning non-stop that her kidney ultrasound appointment had been held up by half an hour. Basically "this is not good enough!" over and over.

The nurse dealing with her couldn't have been nicer, "We know, you're right, it's not good enough, but we had two emergency patients who had to be seen straight away, you'll be brought in as soon as we're finished with them. The consultant will ring you with your results this afternoon, and he'll arrange a treatment plan to start immediately."

"This is still not good enough! Half an hour, HALF AN HOUR I've been waiting!"

On the public system, she'd probably be waiting months for the ultrasound. Who knows when she'd get the results. Probably dead and buried before treatment was started. If you're in the privileged position of being able to afford private health insurance in this country, you do not give out about a thirty minute delay!

Advertisement