Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car jacker killed in Dublin crash ***mod note first post: read before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My point is that it's a cycle that a lot of criminals are in.

Let's not condemn his family or the mother of his child over his crimes, we don't even know that they were together. Someone in my family got involved in crime so I can understand how sometimes you can become guilty by association even though you are totally innocent of any wrong doing. He was a man, his mother, girlfriend are not responsible for what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So because he was a scumbag you automatically say his 2 year old daughter is destined for a life of crime :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

There are often times when I feel sorry for kids trapped in a life of crime. Somewhere you often see it is traveler children being used in burglaries and thefts. You have to wonder how a child in such circumstances has any chance of being a productive member of society. But there comes a certain point when a person is old enough to think for themselves and the sympathy disappears. There's a point when the child changes from a person who doesn't know what they are doing is wrong into a person who doesn't care. It's at that point they should be held completely responsible for their actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

bumper234 wrote: »
    So because he was a scumbag you automatically say his 2 year old daughter is destined for a life of crime :rolleyes:
    It's not judgemental to say that though. Simple statistics say they are more likely, even if likely or definitely aren't correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I did not say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

eviltwin wrote: »
    Let's not condemn his family or the mother of his child over his crimes, we don't even know that they were together. Someone in my family got involved in crime so I can understand how sometimes you can become guilty by association even though you are totally innocent of any wrong doing. He was a man, his mother, girlfriend are not responsible for what he did.

I didn't say they were responsible. I am pointing out that it's a very complex issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I did not say that.

I think you did
    And in 14 years when she's involved in crime and beating some girl in school up (if she's still in school and not just some gangsters moll at that stage) will we be glad if she dies as a result of crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Fiolina wrote: »
    If you want a laugh, his mate is on 98fm now saying what a lovely fella he was, a devoted father that would do anything for anyone.

Hey bud will ye get us a taxi, what about that poor taxi driver who has most likely lost his livelihood now because of a scumbag? He will not be able to afford to get back on the road again as insurance will barely cover a replacement car but there is so much involved to get that car on the road as a taxi most would just give up.

These people destroy lives and need to be stopped and proper deterrents is the only way. If your crime stops a person from earning to feed their family you get minimum 5years to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

If you went into Paddy Power, you'd probably get very short odds on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Hey bud will ye get us a taxi, what about that poor taxi driver who has most likely lost his livelihood now because of a scumbag? He will not be able to afford to get back on the road again as insurance will barely cover a replacement car but there is so much involved to get that car on the road as a taxi most would just give up.

I think the State should immediately reimburse the taxi driver for the cost of his car.

They are the big winner and quids in, in this case.

Look at all the money they will have saved over the next 40 years, garda time, court time, a place in prison, health services, social welfare payments never made etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

foggy_lad wrote: »

These people destroy lives and need to be stopped and proper deterrents is the only way. If your crime stops a person from earning to feed their family you get minimum 5years to serve.

The non native taxi driver probably thought he had come to a safe Country .A few months taxi driving would have shown him different .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I didn't say they were responsible. I am pointing out that it's a very complex issue.

Yes it is a complex issue but being from the inner city doesn't make you part of some crime dynasty, plenty of people are just unlucky enough to have a person like this in their family. Bad enough his selfish actions have left them grieving without people tarring them all with the same brush.

Here we go...

"R.I.P Alex god only takes the best as de say"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Any of ye that have liked the Sunday World page on FB should pop over there to see his friends saying what a stand up guy he was, the taxi driver "only" lost a car and how everyone has it all wrong about him.

But this one stood out for me, and I don't want to do this guy a disservice by not getting his insightful message across so I've quoted him letter for letter.

"poor taxi man me bolox e was insured his car will be replaced yas clowns this mans life won't was horrible basterds"

What an absolute fookhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Here we go...

Classy. He'll be hailed as a hero by all these young ones now :mad:

If that useless toe-rag was was "the best" I'd love to see who they figure is the worst...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hope ta fook that all was above board with the taxi,and the NCT wasn't even 20 seconds expired. If it was,with the genius system we have here the injured kcnt and the dead guys estate will try(and prob succeed) in claiming off the poor driver for letting them steal an unroadworthy vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

no one is debateing that wat he does was wrong yea he should of bein at home with his family but he wasen he had a night out we cant change it he obvioulsy was not in the right state of mind to do this as i know alex is not usually like that but hes no scumbag i tell u that he was the nicest most genuine youngfella a grate daddy and a gate friend!!!

yawn.....verbatim from his friends on sunday world site...50 previous convictions (no one knows how many arrests) and hes not normally like this....ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Hope ta fook that all was above board with the taxi,and the NCT wasn't even 20 seconds expired. If it was,with the genius system we have here the injured kcnt and the dead guys estate will try(and prob succeed) in claiming off the poor driver for letting them steal an unroadworthy vehicle.

Yes ,the justice system is totally fcuked .Any pictures yet of the driver scum ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Here we go...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Did you check the 'members'?

I'm quite suspicious that each person's 'blurb' is quite similar. "Works as a full time mammy" and "Works at being a full time mad b*stard".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

A martyr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm thinking a phone app that allows the driver to detonate his or her car in explosive and violent fashion remotely should they fall victim to this would do the trick :pac:
    Cynanide laced bottle of Aldi vodka in the glove compartment... ;)
    Dammit, scumbags probably reading this know the secret now.

Any of ye that have liked the Sunday World page on FB should pop over there to see his friends saying what a stand up guy he was, the taxi driver "only" lost a car and how everyone has it all wrong about him.

But this one stood out for me, and I don't want to do this guy a disservice by not getting his insightful message across so I've quoted him letter for letter.

"poor taxi man me bolox e was insured his car will be replaced yas clowns this mans life won't was horrible basterds"

What an absolute fookhead.

A few more gems...

"Vile animals for those of u who are commenting about Alex this and that he was a lovely fella with a heart of gold would of done anything for anyone never believe what Ye read in papers lie!!! Use will all realise one day everyone has kids to rear and will have kids to do so for maybe some of use should look closer to home use are no better with te nasty ness"

"yous belong in homes locked up yous mentally challenged people .. R.I.P ALEX .. YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!!!"

And my personal favorite: "________ you judge people with you're small mind! Now I do not have a wife! BUT I'm ****ing going to you're wedding!
    You have 2 small sons to think of, which I wudnt wish bad luck on any child! But you are a utter ****! No soul the devil took that with you're brain ' I never put my hand on a woman I have 7 sisters who would take my life first. I promise yoU! You'll see me very soon! Ask Stephen! I've just rang him. You're done" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah feck it...another wonderful soul dead? A fantastic father and fledgling Grand Prix driver, no doubt.

All these great people dropping like files. Sure, it was only a few weeks ago that a beautiful budding artist senselessly killed himself jumping over a fence trying to get away from a Garda.

There'll be no good people left if they keep offing themselves.

Thank god the other guy survived. I'm absolutely positive he'll go on now to be a sterling member of society.

:|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

If this is the reaction when some wanker dies then I expect you all to erect a solid gold statue of me outside boards HQ when I die.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What's both interesting and scary for me are some of the comments of his friends. I totally understand their grief. If he was my friend, scumbag or not, I'd be grieving. Natural human reactions. But check out this quote from the Sunday World:

"Appealing to other young people Ms McGuigan said: “No matter how fun it seems at the time please think before you do anything stupid like this. “It might seem like fun but the consequences are huge.”

[this of course is relying on a journalist actually quoting the woman honestly. And pigs might fcuking fly]

She's clearly trying to do some good out of this and is warning others of the consequences and fair enough, but consider her reasoning, her worldview. In her world among her peers this kinda behaviour is perceived in some way as "fun". Consequence free if you get away with it. The act itself is not condemned directly. No mention of the victim of the crime either. She skirts around both. Just points out to be careful, that having some "fun" could get you killed.

It's quite a different mindset. One that was fostered by the world she and her peers grew up in and one alien to folks outside that world. It's not inherent. If she, or the guys involved had been exposed to a different worldview they would be different. Upstanding examples of John and Jane O'Society.

Over the years I've met and known folks from that kinda background and saw the different view of the world they tended to share(not all bad BTW, just different). The scummy ones were actually the minority contrary to what the twitching curtains of D4 types might believe. Most were just trying to get by like the rest of us, but there could be a subtly different approach to what I was used to. Property could be a fluid concept. The scummy examples ignored it completely, strangely enough even when it was their own. Little or no sentiment over things, objects. Impulse control in every aspect was lower. It was very hard for someone to break out of that worldview. It was almost like learning a different language. Like any society people showing too much difference were treated with some suspicion.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Wibbs wrote: »
    What's both interesting and scary for me are some of the comments of his friends. I totally understand their grief. If he was my friend, scumbag or not, I'd be grieving. Natural human reactions. But check out this quote from the Sunday World:

"Appealing to other young people Ms McGuigan said: “No matter how fun it seems at the time please think before you do anything stupid like this. “It might seem like fun but the consequences are huge.”

[this of course is relying on a journalist actually quoting the woman honestly. And pigs might fcuking fly]

She's clearly trying to do some good out of this and is warning others of the consequences and fair enough, but consider her reasoning, her worldview. In her world among her peers this kinda behaviour is perceived in some way as "fun". Consequence free if you get away with it. The act itself is not condemned directly. No mention of the victim of the crime either. She skirts around both. Just points out to be careful, that having some "fun" could get you killed.

It's quite a different mindset. One that was fostered by the world she and her peers grew up in and one alien to folks outside that world. It's not inherent. If she, or the guys involved had been exposed to a different worldview they would be different. Upstanding examples of John and Jane O'Society.

Over the years I've met and known folks from that kinda background and saw the different view of the world they tended to share(not all bad BTW, just different). The scummy ones were actually the minority contrary to what the twitching curtains of D4 types might believe. Most were just trying to get by like the rest of us, but there could be a subtly different approach to what I was used to. Property could be a fluid concept. The scummy examples ignored it completely, strangely enough even when it was their own. Little or no sentiment over things, objects. Impulse control in every aspect was lower. It was very hard for someone to break out of that worldview. It was almost like learning a different language. Like any society people showing too much difference were treated with some suspicion.

You've got that spot on there, these people's perception is completely warped. I grew up in the crime ridden area of Inchicore and consequently lived and schooled with plenty of bad apples and criminals in the making. These people think guards, high earners, businessmen etc. are the scum of the earth and are screwing the system/keeping them oppressed. It's crazy to listen to, they'll want every welfare benefit in the world with no thanks and no concept of where it even comes from. I absolutely guarantee you the victim of this crime would not even get one second of consideration by them.

Some of the comments here are distasteful, baying for blood and gore is really awful to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

As much as I agree with the' fcuk him'sentiments, it has got me thinking.............
    How would I deal with it if I was good friends with his brother/sister or worked with one of his parents( if they work)
    I suppose you'd have to go along with the 'sorry for your loss' thing but at the same time I'd be a total hypocrite

Or maybe I wouldn't cos I'd be sorry for THEIR loss but not him

Sorry, just thinking aloud really : )

Advertisement