Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Tried the lungo today, 60ml pour not a 110ml pour which is bull for 5g of coffee . Found it ok and generally I hate nespresso still I'd put up with the hassle of ground coffee instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

The espresso one was muck, the ristretto was nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I picked up a box of each of them the other day, I don't think they taste as nice as the nespresso one's tbh.
    Saying that for the price they're handy to have around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Off topic a bit.

I got an email and letter yesterday from Nespresso announcing a new lungo. Supposedly I am eligble for a 'free' 16 capsule lungo and intenso discovery set if I order 300 capsules.

I sent them an email about Lidl's capsules and how as a loyal customer I didn't fancy ordering 300 capsules costing approx. €150 for a 'free' discovery set of 16 capsules worth around €5/6.

(I normally order 200 capsules every few months.)

Haven't tried the Lidl ones yet but they might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭gipi

odckdo wrote: »
    Off topic a bit.

I got an email and letter yesterday from Nespresso announcing a new lungo. Supposedly I am eligble for a 'free' 16 capsule lungo and intenso discovery set if I order 300 capsules.

I sent them an email about Lidl's capsules and how as a loyal customer I didn't fancy ordering 300 capsules costing approx. €150 for a 'free' discovery set of 16 capsules worth around €5/6.

(I normally order 200 capsules every few months.)

Haven't tried the Lidl ones yet but they might be the way to go.

My email offered me the free 16 capsules if I bought 180 - but they have to be bought in the boutique, not online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Bought a box of the ristretto today. Didnt buy more than 1 box as ordered a blast from coffee club recently and they were rubbish. Have to say as long as lidl keep stocking them, I wont be buying nespresso arpeggio anymore. The lidl ristretto is perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think Lidl are being very smart in offering these pods in Ireland. I am in France right now, where supermarkets have umpteen different types of nespresso lookalikes, some better than others and quite a few almost as expensive as nespresso. Interestingly though, no sign of anything in the local Lidl here. I would say they have figured out the lack of alternatives in Ireland and are not bothering with them in France....well not yet, anyway. Hopefully it means that they will keep good stocks in the Lidl shops at home. I'm delighted with all three types, and probably won't bother bringing any home from France this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Perhaps they wouldn't know, unless there were bits of the old pod inside the machine!

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I have tasted several compatible ones, including the Lidl ones today, and, while reasonable (apart from the Lungo which is muck) they are not as smooth tasting

We tried them here and one capsule got stuck. Managed to get it out eventually but buyer beware.

Have to agree, the taste is nowhere near as good as genuine Nespresso. Tried both Lungo and Ristretto varieties.

mrcheez wrote: »
    We tried them here and one capsule got stuck. Managed to get it out eventually but buyer beware.

Have to agree, the taste is nowhere near as good as genuine Nespresso. Tried both Lungo and Ristretto varieties.

Well you might be in the minority - most people seem very pleased with the taste. I certainly find them every bit as good as nespresso, and much easier to buy....and cheaper.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well you might be in the minority - most people seem very pleased with the taste. I certainly find them every bit as good as nespresso, and much easier to buy....and cheaper.

All 50 people in the office don't like them ... not really in the minority

The lungo tastes like Nescafé granules ... and both types are a little too watery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All 50 people in the office don't like them ... not really in the minority

The lungo tastes like Nescafé granules ... and both types are a little too watery

Same in work with us- I can't think of anyone who actually likes them- we're just drinking them because we've bought them, and are looking forward to be shot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Tried them. Thought they were nasty - all three. If anything would make you loyal to nespresso (who hopefully will up their game further with the competition) it would be that quality of alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 overturn

I tried the Lungo today. It is half the price and less than quarter the flavour....

The ristretto are ok, but really not a patch on the genuine article

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Tried the lungo today and thought they were OK but nothing more. Think I'll be sticking with the original.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Had lungo today also and wasn't overly impressed. Was ok, about the level of some of the poorer nespresso ones.

Good to have a cupboard/local option for when run out etc, but a bit dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

robert roberts or however you spell it are doing a similar product

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

I have seen the Robert Roberts as well as a Bewleys product for Nespresso (I think 3 flavours each) in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

copacetic wrote: »
    Had lungo today also and wasn't overly impressed. Was ok, about the level of some of the poorer nespresso ones.

Good to have a cupboard/local option for when run out etc, but a bit dissapointed.

Tried the lungo and the espresso, but both feel very watery, especially the lungo one. I have a CitiZ and maybe it is not able to push through the water with enough pressure, but the holes on the plastic for the capsules look very small.

Also it requires a little more force to lower the lever on the machine.

alksander wrote: »
    I have seen the Robert Roberts as well as a Bewleys product for Nespresso (I think 3 flavours each) in Dunnes.

Both expensive enough though. I think the Lidl ones are excellent value for money....particularly given the number of thise things I drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I bought the Lungo y'day, tried it this morning and found it to be a pretty good substitute to mid intensity lungos from Nespresso like Vivalto and Linizio. I use 2 capsules for my morning coffee and honestly spending €0,80 with Nespresso capsules feels like a bit of a rip off. I still use the original capsules for my single shots as I like the variety that Nespresso offers.
    Havent tried the Nespresso Fortissio capsules yet which are a high intensity lungo. I'll be ordering those in my next batch to see if I can live with only 1 capsule in the morning.
    But honestly I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Lidl capsules. Had tried some supermarket bought ones in Spain this summer and they were extremely light, ended using 4 every morning which was a huge pain in the butt.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Havent tried the Nespresso Fortissio capsules yet which are a high intensity lungo. I'll be ordering those in my next batch to see if I can live with only 1 capsule in the morning.

Have you tried Rosabaya de Colombia? It's excellent as a shot (which it is designed for), but makes a pretty damned good lungo as well. The fortissio lungos are strong and pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Meh. Coffee is coffee. Just like red wine is red wine. Cheap is good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wait until you're a little older and develop taste for the better things in life.
    Someone who says coffee is coffee, or red wine is red wine- hasn't lived life.
    Quality is better than quantity- sometimes you can get a bargain- but cheap, or indeed expensive- does not necessarily equate with bad or good.

I'd rather drink tap water- than bad wine. I'd rather have a glass of milk in the morning- than a cup of bad coffee.

As the Aussies have famously preached and practiced- cheap wine is best used for de-icing airports and cars. Not drank.

Yeah, sure a tub of Nescafé Gold Blend is all anyone needs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

There speaks a wise man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If you need a receptacle for loose nails and screws that is. But not for Coffee, dear God no

I was being sarcastic... forgot the emoticon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Wait until you're a little older and develop taste for the better things in life.
    Someone who says coffee is coffee, or red wine is red wine- hasn't lived life.

In fairness, a lot of people dont like coffee or red wine, is that because they are not as old or experienced as you, o wise sage?

There is a lot more to life then coffee or red wine, trust me...maybe when you are a bit older you'll understand :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

Catmologen wrote: »
    In fairness, a lot of people dont like coffee or red wine, is that because they are not as old or experienced as you, o wise sage?

There is a lot more to life then coffee or red wine, trust me...maybe when you are a bit older you'll understand :cool:

Wind yer neck in. The post he was replying to was this

'Meh. Coffee is coffee. Just like red wine is red wine. Cheap is good.'

Or do you agree with the above comment?

Advertisement