Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

OldRio wrote: »
    Wind yer neck in the post he was replying to was this

'Meh. Coffee is coffee. Just like red wine is red wine. Cheap is good.'

Think it's looking like it's time to stop following this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Wind yer neck in. The post he was replying to was this

'Meh. Coffee is coffee. Just like red wine is red wine. Cheap is good.'

Or do you agree with the above comment?

I do, in the context of a thread in the bargain alerts forum about cheap coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

Catmologen wrote: »
    I do, in the context of a thread in the bargain alerts forum about cheap coffee.

So you agree with that comment. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

So you agree with that comment. Wow.

Its not my place to judge, each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

Catmologen wrote: »
    Its not my place to judge, each to his own.

Au contraire. You did judge 'conductors post'. To which I quote

Wait until you're a little older and develop taste for the better things in life.
    Someone who says coffee is coffee, or red wine is red wine- hasn't lived life.
    Quality is better than quantity- sometimes you can get a bargain- but cheap, or indeed expensive- does not necessarily equate with bad or good.

I'd rather drink tap water- than bad wine. I'd rather have a glass of milk in the morning- than a cup of bad coffee.

As the Aussies have famously preached and practiced- cheap wine is best used for de-icing airports and cars. Not drank.

You judged the above post by this response

'in fairness, a lot of people dont like coffee or red wine, is that because they are not as old or experienced as you, o wise sage?

There is a lot more to life then coffee or red wine, trust me...maybe when you are a bit older you'll understand cool.png'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Drop it already! Take it to PM tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The coffee & tea forum is HERE for you to discuss your in depth feelings about coffee including a thread about these Lidl pods:>> Link
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Drop it already! Take it to PM tbh

If you have a problem with a post, report it for the mods to take action

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

There's a Coffee and Tea forum?

Jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

What's worse is people can't take a joke anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 twangmansmate

have a pixie machine .seems to labour on lungo from lidl.I'm not impressed.Does anybody else have coffee grounds at the end of the cup.Not pleasant.Have tried making espresso cup expelling pod and topping up with water from machine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

have a pixie machine .seems to labour on lungo from lidl.I'm not impressed.Does anybody else have coffee grounds at the end of the cup.Not pleasant.Have tried making espresso cup expelling pod and topping up with water from machine

The foil is a little thicker than on regular Nespresso pods.
    The Pixie is probably the smallest, least powerful machine.
    Either upgrade to a more powerful machine- even the Citiz- or move back to Nespresso pods.
    Ps- personally I think the Lidl ones taste like muck- I've actually binned my remaining ones, I couldn't bring myself to drink them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Pixie is probably the smallest, least powerful machine.

I believe all Nespresso machines are currently 19 bar... all equally powerful...

There have been some rumours that newer machines have been set up in a way that makes it difficult to use third party capsules.

As for upgrading to the Citiz... The only considerable difference is the look and materials used. So its up to you whether you want to spend the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

DO you need a coffee machine for these or can they be used in hot water?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I believe all Nespresso machines are currently 19 bar... all equally powerful...

There have been some rumours that newer machines have been set up in a way that makes it difficult to use third party capsules.

As for upgrading to the Citiz... The only considerable difference is the look and materials used. So its up to you whether you want to spend the extra money.

You're right.

To be honest- the best upgrade- would be a move away from one of these machines altogether- and to get a proper machine that uses freshly ground coffee, and a small grinder.......

The 19 bar pressure thing- is probably just a marketing gimmick anyway- looking at other machines- between 5 and 10 bars, regulated, seems the norm- all the Nespresso machines seem to be unregulated- a regulator is cheap as peanuts- maybe a Euro- don't know why they don't have one.

This is what I get for spending an hour researching coffee machines...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DO you need a coffee machine for these or can they be used in hot water?

NO you can't use them like a tea bag. The Nespresso pumps the water through the capsule at 19 PSI.

picture a sieve filled with sand, if you pour water on top it'll sit there. if you compress it down the water will filter through the sand and sieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

get a proper machine

Yawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

ted1 wrote: »
    NO you can't use them like a tea bag. The Nespresso pumps the water through the capsule at 19 PSI.

picture a sieve filled with sand, if you pour water on top it'll sit there. if you compress it down the water will filter through the sand and sieve.
    19 bar

19 bar

19 bar

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭coffee to go

T-Maxx wrote: »
    19 bar
    19 bar
    19 bar

57 bar! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have tried making espresso cup expelling pod and topping up with water from machine

Otherwise called an Americano or Long Black depending on the order you do it.

Americano - Espresso shot followed by water
    Long Black - Water followed by Espresso shot

BTW interesting to note that Robert Robert are now making Nespresso compatible capsules and they seem to be available in Ireland!

They are selling them at the coffee shop in my office (only available to Employees, big US IT company). They cost the same as the Nespresso pods and seem to be exactly the same as the Nespresso pods (no external wrapper like the Lidl ones).

They cost the same as the Nespresso pods, but it is hundred times easier to buy them in work, then trudge into stupid Brown Thomas. I think Nespresso are really missing out here but not having their pods more widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

bk wrote: »
    ... They cost the same as the Nespresso pods and seem to be exactly the same as the Nespresso pods (no external wrapper like the Lidl ones)....
    While they don't have an external wrapper, they are made of a similar plastic to the Lidl ones rather than the aluminium style of the official capsules and like the Lidl ones I find the Robert Robert capsules take a lot more force in order to close the handle on the machine; I'm constantly afraid I'm going to snap it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JohnK wrote: »
    While they don't have an external wrapper, they are made of a similar plastic to the Lidl ones rather than the aluminium style of the official capsules and like the Lidl ones I find the Robert Robert capsules take a lot more force in order to close the handle on the machine; I'm constantly afraid I'm going to snap it.

To be honest I've seen zero difference with force required between the Robert Robert, Lidl and Nespresso pods. All seem the same to me with my machine.

To be honest I think there is a lot of FUD being spread with relation to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hundred times easier to buy them in work, then trudge into stupid Brown Thomas. I think Nespresso are really missing out here but not having their pods more widely available.

Get your Nespresso delivered and have the delivery man take away the used ones for recycling.

mrcheez: Saving the planet one coffee at a time.

To be honest I've seen zero difference with force required between the Robert Robert, Lidl and Nespresso pods. All seem the same to me with my machine.

To be honest I think there is a lot of FUD being spread with relation to this.

Well it could just be my machine, a Lattissima Plus, but I find the force difference very noticeable, to the point of being off putting.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Get your Nespresso delivered and have the delivery man take away the used ones for recycling.

mrcheez: Saving the planet one coffee at a time.

And how do you receive your delivery when you are at work?

My company, like most big companies don't allow you to receive personal deliveries at work.

Also the extra costs of delivery.

Much much easier to buy a box of Robert Robert pods while I'm at the company coffee shop getting my daily fix or during my normal weekly shop at Lidl.

Just goes to show how idiotic Nespresso business model is, now in the face of all this extra competition. A coffee shop in a big international IT company, with coffee loving engineers and lots of disposable income is exactly their target audience. And no shop in Dundrum, Blanchardstown, etc., again their target audience, is stupid.

They don't necessarily need to match Lidl's pricing, but they certainly need to match the convenience. They need to start selling their pods at Starbucks and other coffee shops and also in Tesco, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Del007

BTW interesting to note that Robert Robert are now making Nespresso compatible capsules and they seem to be available in Ireland!

I'm nearly sure you can buy Robert Robert in Dunnes...

Del007 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure you can buy Robert Robert in Dunnes...

You can, thats where I got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Del007

JohnK wrote: »
    You can, thats where I got mine.

I'm sure it's in Tesco also, think I saw it there the other day. Must be new

• Advertisement

So basically it sounds like Robert Roberts are charging the same as Nespresso, but much easier to get.

Just goes to show how silly Nespresso are with their limited distribution model.

Advertisement