Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Only one Lungo box left in my local so I grabbed it , loads of the Esxpresso ones. Pretty impressive, hopefully they will add to the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

It is to do with the way the ground coffee is packed and the button you press on your Nespresso machine. On the generic pods the coffee must be ground the same.
    For example, a Ristretto capsule is finely ground coffee designed for a ristretto shot. If you use it with a lungo shot it will take more time to pour than a lungo capsule (which has a courser coffee therefore the water flows through it quicker) using a lungo shot (starting to lose myself here but keep with me!).

Thanks for the explanation!

But the pods in Lidl were of the three sizes - Ristretto, Lungo and the other one.

You'd think they'd be grounded accordingly. Like, I bought the Lungo and it still takes way longer to fill than the original Lungo. But tasted fine!

Only one Lungo box left in my local so I grabbed it , loads of the Esxpresso ones. Pretty impressive, hopefully they will add to the range.

I doubt it. Shelf space is limited in the German discount stores, and they never go for 'extensive' ranges. Usually just a few good products at cheap prices - economies of scale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Got these today, really great taste from the Lungo pods.

Anyone know why the generic ones are so slow to fill? Seems to be always the case.

These are the best non-original i have tried yet. Unreal price!!

I would say that plastic capsules deflect when being pierced and result in smaller holes than a foil capsule, but it could easily be the grind you could compare a few side by side. I don't know what nestle do to the grounds in the lungo capsules because if you put an equivalent amount of ground coffee in a real espresso machine and ran 110ml of water through it would be undrinkable.

moodrater wrote: »
    I would say that plastic capsules deflect when being pierced and result in smaller holes than a foil capsule, but it could easily be the grind you could compare a few side by side. I don't know what nestle do to the grounds in the lungo capsules because if you put an equivalent amount of ground coffee in a real espresso machine and ran 110ml of water through it would be undrinkable.

Could be the plastic vs foil alright. Will compare the grind too out of interest.

Anyway, makes no difference, as it's tastes great and less than half price.

Was just a bit worried that the pods didn't suit the machine or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Could be the plastic vs foil alright. Will compare the grind too out of interest.

Anyway, makes no difference, as it's tastes great and less than half price.

Was just a bit worried that the pods didn't suit the machine or something.

Nespresso say that using generic pods will void your warranty because the aluminium they use is different, but that just sounds like scaremongering.

I picked up a box of the Ristretto, haven't tried them yet. I will say that storing them is a lot more awkward than storing the Nespresso sleeves. I guess that's the benefit of having the airtight capsule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

micka wrote: »
    Hi folks, are the Nestle pods the same shape as the ones that fit in the Philips Senseo? Or anyone knoe where i can get compatible pods for the philips senseo?

Cheers!

You can get them in Tesco. I usually order them online at discountcoffee.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    You can get them in Tesco. I usually order them online at discountcoffee.ie

I buy mine from Amazon, they do the mug sized pods, 5 packs at a time. Link here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Morning-Americano/dp/B009S4SYPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402389546&sr=8-4&keywords=senseo+coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjFS73AC2I

Give it a go you know you want too (I joke by the way )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I doubt it. Shelf space is limited in the German discount stores, and they never go for 'extensive' ranges. Usually just a few good products at cheap prices - economies of scale!

True, but then Aldi and Tesco are also expected to launch their range of pods soon too. And I expect in time other stores and companies will follow.

I think we will probably even see official Nespresso pods start to turn up in regular supermarkets.

Leaving aside the Lidl caps being 50% cheaper, just being able to pick up the pods with your regular shop and not have to go all the way into Brown Thomas and queue up like an idiot, will likely mean Nespresso will lose a lot of business and they will be forced to change their business model and sell them wider.

So I think not only will we get cheaper pods, but also a much greater variety in time. This is all fantastic news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bk wrote: »
    Leaving aside the Lidl caps being 50% cheaper, just being able to pick up the pods with your regular shop and not have to go all the way into Brown Thomas and queue up like an idiot, will likely mean Nespresso will lose a lot of business and they will be forced to change their business model and sell them wider.

Nespresso's insistence on only selling them in BT is bewildering - you can't even buy them in Dundrum which you would imagine is prime Nespresso-owner territory.

I would definitely have bought more capsules over the last few years if they were easier to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

loyatemu wrote: »
    Nespresso's insistence on only selling them in BT is bewildering - you can't even buy them in Dundrum which you would imagine is prime Nespresso-owner territory.

I would definitely have bought more capsules over the last few years if they were easier to buy.

You can just buy them online, free delivery when you order about €70 worth (200 capsules)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Dickerty wrote: »
    You can just buy them online, free delivery when you order about €70 worth (200 capsules)...

Pain in the ass though if you are at work when they are delivered. Mine were left outside in the rain. Brown Thomas in Galway doesn't have them either which is closer than Dublin for me. Forgetting price they are far more convenient for me to buy in Lidi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have them delivered to my office... I know some workplaces may frown on receiving personal deliveries, but most wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

A couple of people I know have tried these and reckon they're pretty decent so I'll be giving them a shot. Cheers OP.

This is relevant to this thread also I suppose: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/agribusiness-and-food/nestle-fined-by-french-court-for-unfair-competition-1.1827031

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Nespresso say that using generic pods will void your warranty because the aluminium they use is different, but that just sounds like scaremongering.

I picked up a box of the Ristretto, haven't tried them yet. I will say that storing them is a lot more awkward than storing the Nespresso sleeves. I guess that's the benefit of having the airtight capsule.

I have heard of cases where the plastic in some of the generic pods have melted inside a Nespresso machine due to the pressure or temperature (not sure which).

And the pods will never be sold anywhere outside of Nespresso's control. That is their entire marketing premise right there and they won't give it up.

Anyway, they have introduced a new machine in the states which has different capsules again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo40pcEfbPE

So that is 3 types, the home ones, the office ones and these new ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is excellent news, the Café Pod ones are crap, I bought some yesterday, looking forward to popping into Lidl on the way home to pick some of these up given the good reviews here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have heard of cases where the plastic in some of the generic pods have melted inside a Nespresso machine due to the pressure or temperature (not sure which).

That is just FUD

And it is very likely that under EU and Irish consumer law, they would be required to fix or replace it anyway.
    And the pods will never be sold anywhere outside of Nespresso's control. That is their entire marketing premise right there and they won't give it up.

We will see, I expect sales will drop significantly due to people finding more convenient to pick them up in Tesco/Lidl.

There is no way they can continue to sell them in this way in the face of this competition.

When sales drop, they will be forced to change their business practices, guaranteed.
    Anyway, they have introduced a new machine in the states which has different capsules again

In the US, Keurig have tried to do the same with their K-cups, after their patent expired and generic pods appeared. Guess what, the new machines aren't selling at all and third party companies are now making machines compatible with the old generic pods.

The same will happen with Nespresso, that cat is out of the bag now.

We now have Nespresso Original compatible pods from third parties and third party coffee machines compatible with Nespresso pods from Aldi.

And I'm sure we will see more of both of these from manufactures. You won't even have to buy anything from Nespresso, you will just be buying into the Nespresso compatible system from third party companies.

This really is great and exciting news, it should lead to a revolution in quality coffee at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Dudda wrote: »
    Pain in the ass though if you are at work when they are delivered. Mine were left outside in the rain.

They are courier delivered so they shouldn't leave them outside unless they contact you and you give them the ok. Or they will leave them with a neighbour. Or use ParcelMotel!

My point is, not being able to get to a shop to buy something is hardly an insurmountable problem these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

We will see, I expect sales will drop significantly due to people finding more convenient to pick them up in Tesco/Lidl.

There is no way they can continue to sell them in this way in the face of this competition.

When sales drop, they will be forced to change their business practices, guaranteed.

I would not underestimate the power of the Nespresso brand - especially given that it has always been a premium brand.

I know I'll still be buying the Nespresso capsules as they currently offer far more variety than any of the generics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

There will be more hate coming after me, but there are cheaper way of having espresso coffee for a regular drinker. Irregular drinkers are less sensitive to pricing, so Nespresso brand is not in danger. They offer also variety that is not matched by any competitor and they are in contact with plenty of customers (via Nesspresso club). If such need arises they can lower prices and still be profitable.

September1 wrote: »
    There will be more hate coming after me, but there are cheaper way of having espresso coffee for a regular drinker. Irregular drinkers are less sensitive to pricing, so Nespresso brand is not in danger. They offer also variety that is not matched by any competitor and they are in contact with plenty of customers (via Nesspresso club). If such need arises they can lower prices and still be profitable.

No one is suggesting Nespresso will go out of business, but they will certainly have to face up to this new competition.

And it isn't just about cheaper alternatives, but also other quality alternatives. For instance Douwe Egberts large range of premium pods which are around the same price as Nespresso, but will end up easier to get:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Douwe+Egberts+nespresso&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ADouwe+Egberts+nespresso
    I would not underestimate the power of the Nespresso brand - especially given that it has always been a premium brand.

I know I'll still be buying the Nespresso capsules as they currently offer far more variety than any of the generics.

And as I mentioned above, it isn't just about cheap generics, we will also likely see the rise of large number of premium alternatives, with many different flavours. For instance, Douwe Egberts has 12 different flavours and are launching new ones all the time.

And these will likely be easier to get then the Nespresso brand ones.

Hell in India a third party company sells Nespresso pods that contain tea!

This will all mean not just cheaper and easier to get generics, but also a greater variety of premium flavours, which are easier to get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 gillholmes

been looking for cheep ones of these for a while now thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted to hear these are in Lidl - I refuse to go in to BT and I am not a fan of Nestle anyway, but I bring pods back from France on a regular basis. The supermarkets there have lots of different brands now. The Dow Egberts ones are everywhere, trading under the brand L'Or - the ends are cellophane rather than foil, and I have found them slow to fill. Some of the supermarket 'own brand' ones have stuck in my machine, so I avoid them. Carte Noir have now appeared, but I have yet to try them. My favourite is 'Planteur des tropiques', which I think is specific to the Intermarché supermarket chain - several 'flavours', foil tops, no problems and mostly under €3 for 10. I have just once tried another called Mao, which was lovely too. Hopefully it is only a matter of time till some of these appear in Irish supermarkets, but if anyone is going to France on hols, I would recommend checking these out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

That is just FUD

And it is very likely that under EU and Irish consumer law, they would be required to fix or replace it anyway.

They won't sell them outside their own channels - their own stores or the internet. Its part of the whole marketing strategy, that is obvious.
    They retain control over the various touch points with the customer this way. Why do you think the call it the Nespresso Club?
    It is to get buy in from customers that they are getting a better experience by purchasing directly from them.

Who do you expect to fix the Nespresso machine that is damaged by a compatible capsule exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

They won't sell them outside their own channels - their own stores or the internet. Its part of the whole marketing strategy, that is obvious.
    They retain control over the various touch points with the customer this way. Why do you think the call it the Nespresso Club?
    It is to get buy in from customers that they are getting a better experience by purchasing directly from them.

Who do you expect to fix the Nespresso machine that is damaged by a compatible capsule exactly?
    Up until they lost their patent case this was their strategy - but strategies change. Just ask Ryanair!

With so many compatible capsules coming on the market, Nespresso will have to change and sell through additional stores.

The new machines looks like a double size capsule.

Current capsules have 6g of coffee
    Office/commercial capsules have 8g of coffee
    The new Vertuo capsules have 12g of coffee.

A good coffee shop serving a 12oz coffee will use 15g of coffee.

So really for a decent coffee you need 2 capsules.

Well I'm willing to take the chance on the nespresso machine - if it breaks, it breaks, but so far so good. My next one will probably be a Lidl lookalike!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Guy I work with says they give out machines for free and fix them when they break in his country. The catch is you have to subscribe to them and they deliver the pods monthly so they could try that here now.

A friend of mine got one fixed - they called to her house in Dublin, and delivered it back when fixed. I don't think she subscribes - just goes to BT, and she has used compatible pods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Don't seem to be in all Lidl's yet, went to mine in Swords, NCD and none there.

Advertisement