Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Inquitus wrote: »
    Don't seem to be in all Lidl's yet, went to mine in Swords, NCD and none there.

There was only 3 boxes left in swords yesterday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Almost all gone in Naas too, Lungo were all out and only a few boxes of the Classic and Ristretto left. Looks like they are popular - at least initially anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There was only 3 boxes left in swords yesterday afternoon

Arse I went in at 5pm after work! will try again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A friend of mine got the lungo and said they were nice, but not comparable to Nespresso. I'm interested to check for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I just picked up espresso in Ballycullen, went out to the car to open one, and it looks for all the world like the ones I have been buying in France. Just tasted it - superbe. In Ballycullen they have espresso and ristretto, but no lungo.

Many thanks to original poster. This is a great find, particularly when you drink as many espressos as I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Any pods to suit the dolce-gusto on the horizon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Bluefoam wrote: »
    A friend of mine got the lungo and said they were nice, but not comparable to Nespresso. I'm interested to check for myself.

Humans are massively biased by lots of factors blind test is the only way you could trust even your own palate let alone someone elses. My neighbour loves to pour tesco plonk from chateau pichon bottles, then pour the same wine from a tesco bottle to see the difference in reactions :D

I have just used the ristretto to make an ordinary espresso size coffee - excellent. I'm back up to my store a.s.a.p..

I hear there are plenty of all three types in Lidl in Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My mother picked up some in Lidl Carrigaline in Cork this morning and they had all of the three types. I just tried one there and the coffee is nice but like the Robert Roberts capsules these are plastic and it feels like I have to exert far too much pressure on the lever to get the capsule in; I'm convinced I'm going to snap something so I think I'll be sticking with the Nespresso ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bsj

Swords had a huge cardboard stand of them about 2 hours ago, at the end of the first aisle, just opposite the coffee and tea section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Plenty of all types on the Greenhills road

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Am I the only person who has tried these and doesn't like them. They taste nothing like the other capsules

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Who do you expect to fix the Nespresso machine that is damaged by a compatible capsule exactly?

IANAL, but EU case law, this has already been case law set on this with regards to HP printers and generic cartridges.

Anyway, there would be no way Nespresso could know or prove that it broke due to using a generic pod, just don't tell them!
    skelligs wrote: »
    The new machines looks like a double size capsule.

Current capsules have 6g of coffee
    Office/commercial capsules have 8g of coffee
    The new Vertuo capsules have 12g of coffee.

A good coffee shop serving a 12oz coffee will use 15g of coffee.

So really for a decent coffee you need 2 capsules.

Reading up on it, turns out the new machines aren't designed to overcome patents, but rather are designed to better target the US market.

Turns out Americans prefer, large Americano style coffees rather then Espresso's which Europeans prefer. Nespresso has only 3% * of the US market, versus Krupes which have 70% of the market with machines designed for larger American style coffee. Here in Europe Nespresso has something like 80% of the market.

So these new Nespresso machines are aimed to capture this US market for large coffees, they currently don't plan on selling these machines in Europe. However it is doubtful these machines will be particularly successful as the Krupes K-cups are now out of patent and the market is now being flooded with cheaper and greater variety of compatible k-cups.

* Single server capsule market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW I picked up these new Lidl pods and I've tried the Classico and Ristretto and I have to say they are both excellent. In fact I think the Ristretto might be better then the equivalent Nespresso pod, though in fariness I'd probably have to do a blind taste test to confirm.

But I'm very, very happy with these.

BTW the pods themselves aren't airtight like the Nespresso pods, the Lidl ones come in an air tight bag instead. Now I don't believe it makes any difference in taste, but I know some people have special fancy holders/display cabinets for their Nespresso pods, so FYI these probably won't fit in these.

Also I haven't had any problem with using these pods, they seem to fit perfectly and no need to exert extra pressure on the lever like mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who has tried these and doesn't like them.

Yes.

bk wrote: »

BTW the pods themselves aren't airtight like the Nespresso pods, the Lidl ones come in an air tight bag instead. Now I don't believe it makes any difference in taste, but I know some people have special fancy holders/display cabinets for their Nespresso pods, so FYI these probably won't fit in these.

Also I haven't had any problem with using these pods, they seem to fit perfectly and no need to exert extra pressure on the lever like mentioned above.

I have bought many fake pods in France and they all come in these airtight sachets - I presume it is because they are plastic. So they don't fit the Nespresso holders, but that is the only disadvantage I can see.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I have bought many fake pods in France and they all come in these airtight sachets - I presume it is because they are plastic. So they don't fit the Nespresso holders, but that is the only disadvantage I can see.

Yes, I assume Nespresso has a still valid patent on using airtight pods. Not a biggy for me, didn't have a holder anyway.

I'm going to France on Friday - dying to see what the Lidl pods cost over there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Got all 3 types in Lidl Togher today... tried them and very happy... most expensive I ever bought though due to the kids picnic bench I bought as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Yes, I assume Nespresso has a still valid patent on using airtight pods. Not a biggy for me, didn't have a holder anyway.

Pretty sure the Robert Roberts one's are airtight, they don't come in individual sachets anyway... As far as I know Nestle recently lost a patent case relating to the pods recently hence there's gonna be a load of alternative brands on the market in the next few months..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Bought 4 Packs at €1.99 each in Lidl in Celbridge. Tastes great. Thanks for the tip.

Got all 3 types in Lidl Togher today... tried them and very happy... most expensive I ever bought though due to the kids picnic bench I bought as well!!!
    Lidl and Aldi do well on impulse buys! I have been known to go in for a bag of carrots and come out with a chain saw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

vienne86 wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi do well on impulse buys! I have been known to go in for a bag of carrots and come out with a chain saw!

Or a wetsuit :D

I wouldn't normally be a lungo drinker, but I have just had one of these Lidl ones, and am not surprised to find it was just great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted them in the Lidl on the Coal Quay (Cork) this morning so guess they're in all the Lidl shops by now. Good addition to their range of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bought some of these last night, was late so only tried 1 espresso, very happy with it, far better than Café pod and others I have tried, would have to go head to head with Nespresso in a blind taste, but first impressions is these are every bit as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Loads of stock in Fermoy Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

IANAL, but EU case law, this has already been case law set on this with regards to HP printers and generic cartridges.

Anyway, there would be no way Nespresso could know or prove that it broke due to using a generic pod, just don't tell them!

Perhaps they wouldn't know, unless there were bits of the old pod inside the machine!

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I have tasted several compatible ones, including the Lidl ones today, and, while reasonable (apart from the Lungo which is muck) they are not as smooth tasting

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

I agree about it not being as smooth tasting. But it's close enough. Like >95% there. It's such a small volume too that it's finished before you think too much about it. And at 20c a cup, & you don't have to travel to Dublin &/or order online, how bad?

• Advertisement

Perhaps they wouldn't know, unless there were bits of the old pod inside the machine!

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I have tasted several compatible ones, including the Lidl ones today, and, while reasonable (apart from the Lungo which is muck) they are not as smooth tasting

Think you're in the minority here!

Advertisement