Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I'll be around for the early Pride stuff anyway, but just putting it out there for a post-Pride meetup in early July ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

I'll probably be marching in the parade but if people are around after the parade then could arrange something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What banner are you marching under Daith?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Actually, are many folks marching? I'm marshalling. Snore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Possibly marching but not sure yet!

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    What banner are you marching under Daith?

I think it's under the Gay Mens Health Service
    Looking forward to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Is women in thongs ok? Ridiculous.

I don't particularly fancy seeing men or women in thongs, gay or straight.

Tbh though, it wouldn't stop me bringing a child to the parade. As has already been said, kids ddon't associate boobs or bums with sex. They're just body parts.

I don't care if someone wants to wear assless chaps, or a thong.

I won't lie, I'd do a double take. But I also do a double take regularly in work, when I see how many teenage girls go around in practically assless shorts. No different really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well considering the amount of girls walking around the IFSC office district in Dublin this week in bikinis after swimming in the canal, the outfits worn on Pride will be considered tame.

Only people who want to be offended will be offended. The parade would be pretty boring if everyone turned up in jeans and shirts. Long live diversity...and that includes clothing choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I had been kicking around the idea of asking people on the parade - if they were walking with/under MarriagEqualty or NOISE banner - to wear a mask bearing the likeness of either DQ, BP or JW (whichever the choice). Imagine the effect of the above photo-image on front pages, dozens of SSM opponents walking/carrying Pro-SSM banners on Pride.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I had been kicking around the idea of asking people on the parade - if they were walking with/under MarriagEqualty or NOISE banner - to wear a mask bearing the likeness of either DQ, BP or JW (whichever the choice). Imagine the effect of the above photo-image on front pages, dozens of SSM opponents walking/carrying Pro-SSM banners on Pride.
    I only see that as serving their own egos to be honest and giving them popularity - ignoring them does far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Anyone at Glitterbomb last night? Good fun with all the pride decore going on. Hopefully all the festivities will be equally good ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Best to ignore these people , as the saying goes "no such thing as bad publicity".
    Ignore ignore ignore,let them spout all they want,just ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I might travel up alright, I won't be drinking though, oh ****e!

What day and time is the march?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Gathering at approx 1230/1300 next Saturday 28th June top of Parnell Square, next to Hugh Lane Gallery.

Gathering at approx 1230/1300 next Saturday 28th June top of Parnell Square, next to Hugh Lane Gallery.

It won't start till 2pm though. Having saying that there's a nice buzz around the area.

Looks like I'll be joining the Dublin Bears so keep an eye out for guy in black/yellow polo and urban camo!

What's the story regarding not giving key LGBT groups a few minutes on stage to speak?

https://www.facebook.com/DublinPride?sk=reviews

If what I'm reading is true, I suddenly feel a bit sour about marching...not sure that's the kind of parade ideology that we should be striving for.

Not sure if it's the same story this year? Can someone clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cydoniac wrote: »
    What's the story regarding not giving key LGBT groups a few minutes on stage to speak?

If what I'm reading is true, I suddenly feel a bit sour about marching...not sure that's the kind of parade ideology that we should be striving for.

There was a big hoo-ha about that last year- I'm trying to remember what was told to us at the stewards training a few weeks ago but I'm 99.99% sure there's community speeches this year again.

Also- I made a Pride playlist if anyone's interested. Fave tracks from my fave queers. Enjoy!

Clicky linky for tuuuuuuuuuuunes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Just to say Dyke Night tonight was amazing.....Im spinning!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cydoniac wrote: »

Doubt they are that stupid to do that again after last year

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Was out in town last night. Avided the gaybourhood like a plague. If Temple Bar is what pride celebration has come to, I'm pretty happy to stay away from it...
    Paddy's Day 2.0

Given my previous posts on the subject of the parade, I thought I'd better post here to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the parade yesterday. The highlights included all of the tech companies with their floats, the multitude of small local groups from around the country, the various sports groups, the Garda band, and politicians standing behind their banners. It was a really family friendly day out, and I'm glad to say that the tone of the parade has changed for the better since around a decade ago.

Barna77 wrote: »
    Was out in town last night. Avided the gaybourhood like a plague. If Temple Bar is what pride celebration has come to, I'm pretty happy to stay away from it...
    Paddy's Day 2.0
    Huh? The party was on Capel St was respectable and good behaviour by all. Ignore the young wans queueing half the block for The George...

Would just like to add that your assessment of the evening is both untrue and unfair to the organisers who kept the beer tent out of Merrion Sq from what I saw and the march (and week) had a very family focused atmosphere. So what if Temple Bar was bad last night, it's like that every Saturday for goodness sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 skinner717

Barna77 wrote: »
    Paddy's Day 2.0

have to agree with that...town was a complete shambles all day

Temple Bar was a mess all day, but I don't think it had anything to do with the parade. All the pond-life of Dublin seemed to congregate there drinking, probably due to the great weather and also there was a concert on in Kilmainham.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing to be honest. The parade and scheduled events were great and the atmosphere was pretty positive at the start but later on it just seemed like town just fell apart. It seemed much worse than the average saturday night to me anyway. I'm glad people had a lot of fun and overall it was a good day but I was disappointed by what I saw last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

I felt there was a nasty atmosphere around town.

There were loads of skangers around drinking ( from cans) looking for trouble IMO, I was outside the Front Lounge (the back lounge) and the amount of skangers wlaking up and down through the crowd was nasty,

Thankfully there was room inside the FL itself and went in where I and others felt safer .

However having said that(I just remembered) there were a few skangers in the FL with their "mots" .

One fella in the toilets tried to skip the queue then when he was in there he kept shouting to his mate "scaldy pants scaldy pants " and laughing .

Didn't like it at all
    I hope OUR day will not turn into the mess that is st patricks day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I had an absolute blast.
    To think I was on the back of a bike in 1993 leading the Pride march as Dykes on a Bike the year homosexuality was decriminalized
    image.jpg
    and just after O'Connell Bridge we were stopped by a Guard in uniform and told to get off the bike.
    We were having a bit of fun and a kind of joke as international marches are often lead by a large group of Dykes on Bikes. Ann the woman who owned the bike and an activist herself had already got Guarda permission for a vehicle in the Parade and had the document on her to prove it but the Guard stood in front of us and said we still had to get off the bike and go to the side. We said No and as we had a few thousand people behind us we reckoned we would be all right but there was no way we were getting off the bike.
    So that year 1993 homosexuality was legalised and this year 2014 we have this leading the Parade. My little head is enjoying the turn around.
    E1BF3959966EE66612BA9BD1C63F_h416_w442_m2_q80_cnDpbBHCH.jpg

So see all the time gradual changes are happening and we dont always see them.
    Happy Pride Everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    I felt there was a nasty atmosphere around town.

There were loads of skangers around drinking ( from cans) looking for trouble IMO, I was outside the Front Lounge (the back lounge) and the amount of skangers wlaking up and down through the crowd was nasty,

Thankfully there was room inside the FL itself and went in where I and others felt safer .

However having said that(I just remembered) there were a few skangers in the FL with their "mots" .

One fella in the toilets tried to skip the queue then when he was in there he kept shouting to his mate "scaldy pants scaldy pants " and laughing .

Didn't like it at all
    I hope OUR day will not turn into the mess that is st patricks day

Half the people last night were drinking out of cans at some point. I'm sure them "scangers" had a great night.

I felt Panti's street party was a complete joke - no outdoor bar and bizarre security arrangements. Only half the street was sectioned off which was odd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can't stand parades for the most part - I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than stand in town and watch the Paddy's Day parade. Pride is a completely different story though.

Yesterday was some of the best fun I've had in ages. Some friends of mine weren't able to make it so I ended up marching on my own and it made no difference, I still had a lot of fun. Great to see so many marching and so many people watching on and supporting, I really felt so proud to be part of it all. :)

Advertisement