Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

why not acceptable ? it not up to you to dictate to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

why not acceptable ? it not up to you to dictate to anyone else

I'm not dictating to anyone, even BDSM communities agree that it's not acceptable in public. Wandering around Dublin half naked during the day isn't acceptable, children can see you. Children aren't even the whole problem just other people in general can see you.

it peoples right in other parades, not yours to say not, you cannot discriminate, time it was accepted, ireland very backward

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

it peoples right in other parades, not yours to say not, you cannot discriminate, time it was accepted, ireland very backward

There is a time and a place for everything. The middle of the high street at 3 in the afternoon ain't it. There are days of events during Pride many of which take place in nightclubs and are strictly adult only. Anyone into S&M would usually have the cop on to know that's when you break out the leather g string, not during an event that takes place during the day.

Nudity to cause offence in public is illegal, the only discrimination is that no arrests are made on pride day for the exact same things they are made for on other days.

I have repeated It's not me saying it, the code of conduct at any BDSM event will say to not wear your event attire in public, if the people doing it even say it's wrong why do you think it's ok? I'm finished with particular line of discussion, it's just silly.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    There is a time and a place for everything. The middle of the high street at 3 in the afternoon ain't it. There are days of events during Pride many of which take place in nightclubs and are strictly adult only. Anyone into S&M would usually have the cop on to know that's when you break out the leather g string, not during an event that takes place during the day.

same was said about gays, s&m has right to pride and equality in parades in other counties, you cannot dictate to others anymore what they should do or practice. if you don't like s&m don't wear it.

same was said about gays, s&m has right to pride and equality in parades in other counties, you cannot dictate to others anymore what they should do or practice. if you don't like s&m don't wear it.

Firstly it's not S&M it's BDSM, be inclusive remember?

I never said I don't like it, I just a reasonable adult about it and don't do it in public.

GarIT wrote: »
    Firstly it's not S&M it's BDSM, be inclusive remember?

I never said I don't like it, I just a reasonable adult about it and don't do it in public.

same was said about gays, like it or not pride and equal right to march, not told by you

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what they can and can't practice or wear but a bit of maturity please. I wouldn't wear S&M gear to buy milk or to take my kids to school because its not appropriate, same goes for a Saturday afternoon in town.

same was said about gays, like it or not pride and equal right to march, not told by you

What does this even mean? You're saying wandering around almost naked is ok because in the past it wasn't ok to be gay? You could use that argument for any sorts of crazy, murder must be ok, people just need to be more liberal because previously it wasn't ok to be gay and now it is. Stop making stupid arguments.

I am not telling you anything, the entire BDSM community is telling you that what you claim to want to do is just wrong, you have to be the only person ever to claim wanting to practice BDSM in public is a rights issue.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what they can and can't practice or wear but a bit of maturity please. I wouldn't wear S&M gear to buy milk or to take my kids to school because its not appropriate, same goes for a Saturday afternoon in town.

this is pride and rights parade and done in many city and BDSM have same equal right in other countries for pride parade, you cannot deny equality and say stay at home, you have no right to deny this.

this is pride and rights parade and done in many city and BDSM have same equal right in other countries for pride parade, you cannot deny equality and say stay at home, you have no right to deny this.

There is no country in the world where it is ok to wear BDSM gear in public. Wearing BDSM gear in public has nothing to do with pride, it's just wanting attention and looking to cause trouble.

There is no country in the world where it is ok to wear BDSM gear in public. Wearing BDSM gear in public has nothing to do with pride, it's just wanting attention and looking to cause trouble.

this not true, it worn in many ,many pride events the world over, you cannot stop equal right to pride and quality, none of your business to dictate, you will have to learn tolerance for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Nobody is saying that the BDSM community is or should be denied rights, everyone is only saying that it's it's not appropriate to wear out. I don't want to have see anyone, gay or straight, wearing spandex :rolleyes:

It's nothing to do with equality, just what is appropriate. I don't care what anyone gets up to in the comfort of their own home, but I don't want to be subjected to it.

It's nothing to do with equality, just what is appropriate. I don't care what anyone gets up to in the comfort of their own home, but I don't want to be subjected to it.

thats exactly what lame excuse anti gays say as well. time for BDSM equality rights and pride in ireland

thats exactly what excuse anti gays say as well

That still is and always will be the case. It is the case and always will be the case for straight people too. Anything sex related is not ok outside, regardless of your persuasions.

thats exactly what lame excuse anti gays say as well. time for BDSM equality rights and pride in ireland

How do the BDSM community not have rights? Honestly I'm curious :rolleyes: Just because no one want to have to see someone they don't want to see half naked. There are public nudity laws for a reason.

Edit: For the record, I am totally for gay rights. I just think that clinging on to BDSM, as if homosexuality and BDSM are synonymous, is ridiculous.

How do the BDSM community not have rights? Honestly I'm curious :rolleyes: Just because no one want to have to see someone they don't want to see half naked. There are public nudity laws for a reason.

they can march in other pride parades in proper cities, its called equal rights

they can march in other pride parades in proper cities, its called equal rights

Yes they can march in any parade they want as long as they are not almost naked.

Yes they can march in any parade they want as long as they are not almost naked.

they march in what they want in other pride parades, you cannot dictate to others, they have the equal right, and it none of your business.

• Advertisement

they march in what they want in other pride parades, you cannot dictate to others, they have the equal right, and it none of your business.

It is my business. In a society we have laws and they have to be followed.

NOBODY has the right to walk around naked. You realise that public nudity is an offence, and the only reason it is tolerated on gay pride day is because people hide behind the "discrimination" line.

Tell me, how will walking naked down the street help for equal marriage rights? If anything it is damaging the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Something tell's me that some-one is looking for Jack Charleton :-)

the "discrimination" line

The only discrimination is that people are not arrested at the gay pride parade for things that they would be arrested for at any other event.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Moderation note

GarIT has been banned for trolling. All posters should also note that they should not call out trolls on thread and should report suspected trolling

The issue of BDSM rights is somewhat off topic and could be discussed separately in the humanities forum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Moderation note

GarIT has been banned for trolling. All posters should also note that they should not call out trolls on thread and should report suspected trolling

The issue of BDSM rights is somewhat off topic and could be discussed separately in the humanities forum.

Why did you ban him? :confused: He made some valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why did you ban him? :confused: He made some valid points.

Moderation is not discussed on thread

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have a few genuine questions.

1) there was a lot of talk about nudity, and people wandering around naked. I have never once seen genitals or breast on display during Pride. Ever. I have seen roughly the same amount of skin on a hot day in St. Stephens Green or on the beach. Has anyone seen a naked person at Pride?

2) A lot of talk is happening about nearly naked men, etc. Does anyone complain about any girls wearing skimpy clothes? Is it only male nudity or near nudity that's a problem? Because that certainly seems to be all anyone ever talks about. Men dressed as women. Men acting girly. Men wearing fairy wings. Anyone acting outside the normal gender rules is bad. Women in bikinis walking around town is grand. Men wearing short shorts? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

^Exactly this. Not to be a patronising git but if people feel uncomfortable with men wearing short shorts/fairy wings and the like (and let's face it, pretty clichéd examples), it says a bit more about them. Heaven forbid a march where people promote equality in difference could actually be different...

• Advertisement

I have a few genuine questions.

1) there was a lot of talk about nudity, and people wandering around naked. I have never once seen genitals or breast on display during Pride. Ever. I have seen roughly the same amount of skin on a hot day in St. Stephens Green or on the beach. Has anyone seen a naked person at Pride?

2) A lot of talk is happening about nearly naked men, etc. Does anyone complain about any girls wearing skimpy clothes? Is it only male nudity or near nudity that's a problem? Because that certainly seems to be all anyone ever talks about. Men dressed as women. Men acting girly. Men wearing fairy wings. Anyone acting outside the normal gender rules is bad. Women in bikinis walking around town is grand. Men wearing short shorts? Nope.

Pride 2013 (NSFW):
    http://c1.dmlimg.com/2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc045db3322f5e12646e33dc414c9b5b40fd3.jpg

http://cdn3.independent.ie/irish-news/article29383287.ece/00cb4/ALTERNATES/h342/NWS_20130630_ANA_002_28107008_I3.JPG

And stuff like this is just plain unnecessary: http://static2.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/2200-8/photos/2207328.jpg

Women in bikinis walking around town isn't grand. Even in Spain, you will be told that you can't walk around a city in a bikini, as it is beach attire, and not appropriate.

Honestly I can't understand, while fighting for equality and "we're all the same", people are willing to ostracise themselves even further.

Edit: To add, I have no problem with the fairy wings and tutus, as cliched as it is, I just don't think nudity or BDSM attire is appropriate in the middle of the city in the middle of the day.

Advertisement