Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

You have to stop trying to deny other people's pride and equal rights , BDSM is perfectly normal, and very welcome in gay pride events all over the civilised world, you protest a lot, so most likely a nasty closet BDSM and trying to be ashamed and deny others equal rights. Be tolerant of others. Stop the denial of other peoples rights and your phobic discrimination, we have enough of that now. Wear your BDSM with P R I D E

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

You have to stop trying to deny other people's pride and equal rights , BDSM is perfectly normal, and very welcome in gay pride events all over the civilised world, you protest a lot, so most likely a nasty closet BDSM and trying to be ashamed and deny others equal rights. Be tolerant of others. Stop the denial of other peoples rights and your phobic discrimination, enough of that now.

What is it that's nasty about it? I'm not denying my involvement in BDSM, I'm not ashamed of it, doesn't mean I don't think it's not appropriate to wear my gear when I'm popping out to the shop. And I still don't think gay rights has anything to do with BDSM, and gay rights parades can go on without it.

As I, and other posters have pointed out, it is not a family friendly event. I am denying no ones rights. I am respecting others right to not be subjected to my preferences and indulgences when they don't want or expect to.

For someone who preaches tolerance, you are pretty intolerant of my, and other people's opinion. Tolerance works both ways.

Biddy, This is not your soviet USSR.

Time to start having some pride for the pride parade and stop trying to deny other peoples
    equal rights. BDSM is supported in pride parades all over the world. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Take the BDSM discussion to the humanities forum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Fair play on you being able to pick out a few examples because tbh I march in the parade, and I haven't seen anything like those pics.

You also have to understand the ratios. How many thousand people march and take part in pride every year? And how many inappropriate outfits do you actually see?

Look, I get that lots of people don't like Pride. Granted there's lots of reasons, but I have to say a lot of it boils down to the fact that lots of people are really ashamed of their own sexuality- whether gay or straight. People don't like sex being talked about or alluded to. And whether it's overt or not, Pride forces people to think about sex in some way. That's a real challenge for a lot of people. It's a challenge that a lot of people have come to terms with their sexuality and to what they enjoy sexually and sensually.

Sex in itself is a completely natural part of life, everyone has a sexuality, not just gay peoples. There is nothing wrong with expressing that, but everyone has a different opinion as to what is appropriate. But the bottom line is, that there are rules about nudity and behaviour at the parade, and it's up to the Gardai, not Pride or the rest of the lgbt community to police it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Honestly I can't understand, while fighting for equality and "we're all the same", people are willing to ostracise themselves even further
    Homogenise with straight society*...or else? This quote makes me feel uneasy reading it. Maybe I should smoke a pipe and say a rosary just in case. Being part of an LGBT community means being part of a wide spectrum, not all of it might be to your liking, but so what? Paddy Manning is that you?

By the way, here's your typical party out on Ibiza, your point? Pride is a party, for better or worse, that's how it is.

*when 'straight society' has plenty of subcultures of their own. I'm just going by the connotation suggested here.

GarIT wrote: »
    This is another similar problem, it's all just people looking for attention by going to extremes. Any genuine BDSM society has guidelines for behaviour in public and each of them will say that it is just wrong to wear BDSM attire in public. BDSM events provide changing rooms and ask their members to use them so they are not wandering the streets in whatever they are going to wear to the event, they recognise that it is just not acceptable in public.
    No, it's for people who are afraid of being judged by people with your attitude and/or possibly attacked on street. Nothing to do with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That first pic posted by littleblackDRS is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Its not that I was offended by it - I wasn't - but taking my daughter to her first Pride she felt intimidated by it, I did too to a certain extent, it wouldn't encourage me to go back. I think Pride is great, as a straight person I think its a great way to include the entire community no matter what orientation they are, its a great chance to get young people involved and educate them. Its the focal point of the entire week and with that in mind I don't think its unreasonable to ask people to just be mindful of the audience.

Its got nothing at all to do with being anti gay or having issues with the lifestyle and I resent that some people try and twist it that way, I would feel the same way regardless of what sexuality the person was. Its possible to express your sexuality without having your arse on display. For me as the parent of a gay child I thought Pride would be a good way for both her and myself to learn more about the scene, a way for someone under 18 to meet other gay people in a day to day setting, in a way that she could be there as a casual observer without giving her sexuality away ( which is something that would have put her off going to other events )

If Pride was happening at 8-9 at night then I wouldn't even comment on it but its an afternoon event on a Saturday afternoon, people should be cognisant of that and just take it into account when planning their attire just as everyone should be. This is not about keeping the LGBT down.

These are scenes are common place in Pride events the world over. Your daughter and you should learn to accept other peoples sex and sexuality and their expression of it including BDSM, there is nothing wrong with it. Learn to be tolerant of others, and their right to equality and express themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

These are scenes are common place in Pride events the world over. Your daughter and you should learn to accept other peoples sex and sexuality and their expression of it including BDSM, there is nothing wrong with it. Learn to be tolerant of others, and their right to equality and express themselves.

Listen, I have no issues with anything to do with BDSM at all, far from it but there are certain things that are best suited to an adult audience. I am very accepting of all lifestyles so don't turn this into a issue of homophobia because that's a dangerous path. People should be allowed to voice their opinions without that knee jerk reaction.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Listen, I have no issues with anything to do with BDSM at all, far from it but there are certain things that are best suited to an adult audience. I am very accepting of all lifestyles so don't turn this into a issue of homophobia because that's a dangerous path. People should be allowed to voice their opinions without that knee jerk reaction.

And people should be allowed to express their sexuality without your knee jerk. You do not dictate who can be in Pride parade, this is perfectly normal and done in pride parades all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I think the best bet for children is to join one of the family groups that will be marching if thats what you want to do or join the family area afterwards.
    Its problematic trying to stop people dressing as they want in order not to offend other peoples sensibilities. People do actually object to the tutus and pink tights and fairy wings for gods sake. Im just so used to hearing this every year and if you look up the American Christian groups some of them specialize in saying how evil Pride is showing what they consider to be the worst photos from around the world. There is no pleasing them however because no matter how mainstream the vast vast majority of the crowd looks this still doesnt satisfy them.
    The LGBT community is a very diverse group of people. I cant recall seeing any actual nudity, maybe a bit of BDSM (leather with gaps) usually contained in its own section and I certainly didnt focus on it, a lot of people do however and people practically fell over themselves to get into the best position for photos.

Gay Pride isnt the only festival from around the world with outrageous costumes, some nudity and lots of skin.
    If we are Googling images try Googling Mardi Gras. Carnival or Mardi Gras is celebrated all over the world and Mardi Gras nudity is definitly not safe for work, after seeing those images we are definitely very very tame in Ireland.

We have to remember also that these are INDIVIDUALS wearing these things, that's people are objecting to. frankly, I dont want to see some randomers arse or boobs in public, but I'm not going to assume everyone at Pride wants to get their bits out.

I live in a flat in town that looks I to Camden st, one of the biggest party streets in Dublin outside Temple Bar. Every single night I look out my widows and see hundreds of people completely trashed. I see young women tottering in towering heels, tiny minuscule "dresses" and lads acting the total prick, pissing in the street, shoving their hands up girls tops for all to see. Now, do I assume that all people out on the lash are like this? No.

I agree that perhaps, given the "indecency" laws in place in Irelabd, and the fact that Pride is marketed and advertised as a family friendly event, that overly sexualised costumes and nudity shouldn't really be around. But what am I , as a member of the community meant to do? It's not me that has my arse hanging out. Don't tar me, and the rest of the community because of a minority. And they ARE a minority.

A lot of the people who do express themselves that way couldn't care less about children or anyone seeing them for that matter. Is that any worse than someone standing near a child and swearing like a trooper talking about how pissed thy got last night or how the banged their girlfriend on Friday? Not to my mind. If you're there with kids it's your opportunity to educate them and open the lines of communication about what you consider appropriate public behaviour.

I don't think children are going to read into these things the same way adults do. As it stands, it is fairly easy to avoid anything you don't want to see as it's usually isolated to a float or individuals. If you spend a day looking to be offended there will always be a way to find. Folsom Street Fair is a daytime festival and people are very much aware of what they're going to be seeing or not and can avoid if necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sigh, some people are still hung up on a bit of nudity even in the lgbt fraternity and wearing wacky costumes.

"Think of the children".

Sad.

We have to remember also that these are INDIVIDUALS wearing these things, that's people are objecting to. frankly, I dont want to see some randomers arse or boobs in public, but I'm not going to assume everyone at Pride wants to get their bits out.

I live in a flat in town that looks I to Camden st, one of the biggest party streets in Dublin outside Temple Bar. Every single night I look out my widows and see hundreds of people completely trashed. I see young women tottering in towering heels, tiny minuscule "dresses" and lads acting the total prick, pissing in the street, shoving their hands up girls tops for all to see. Now, do I assume that all people out on the lash are like this? No.

I agree that perhaps, given the "indecency" laws in place in Irelabd, and the fact that Pride is marketed and advertised as a family friendly event, that overly sexualised costumes and nudity shouldn't really be around. But what am I , as a member of the community meant to do? It's not me that has my arse hanging out. Don't tar me, and the rest of the community because of a minority. And they ARE a minority.

A lot of the people who do express themselves that way couldn't care less about children or anyone seeing them for that matter. Is that any worse than someone standing near a child and swearing like a trooper talking about how pissed thy got last night or how the banged their girlfriend on Friday? Not to my mind. If you're there with kids it's your opportunity to educate them and open the lines of communication about what you consider appropriate public behaviour.

You are judging.

Crazy post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Seeing as how the primary debate with gay rights in Ireland is veering towards children's rights in same-sex parents household, I think it makes sense that the parade become a bit more family friendly.

It's a bit jarring to see gay couples with their kids, followed swiftly by a man in skimpy shorts.

This has zero to do with repressed sexuality, or a would somebody please think of the children mindset, before somebody spouts that tired argument. Individual behaviour or not, the parade is seen as a whole. It cheapens the imo necessary political slant when there's booze and nudity involved.

Aard wrote: »
    Seeing as how the primary debate with gay rights in Ireland is veering towards children's rights in same-sex parents household, I think it makes sense that the parade become a bit more family friendly.

It's a bit jarring to see gay couples with their kids, followed swiftly by a man in skimpy shorts.

This has zero to do with repressed sexuality, or a would somebody please think of the children mindset, before somebody spouts that tired argument. Individual behaviour or not, the parade is seen as a whole. It cheapens the imo necessary political slant when there's booze and nudity involved.

Are women allowed to wear skimpy shorts at the parades?

The repressed and prudish Irish double standards on display here are staggering. Pride parades the world over are about expressing your sexuality openly and everything that goes with it without criticism or judgement. That's true equality.

The repressed and prudish Irish double standards on display here are staggering. Pride parades the world over are about expressing your sexuality openly and everything that goes with it without criticism or judgement. That's true equality.

Every year we seem to get the same people from within the lgbt world giving out about stupid things.

People worrying about what other strangers are wearing is something that is completely beyond me. These people are sad losers.

Are women allowed to wear skimpy shorts at the parades?

If you were to replace the word "man" in my post with "woman", then yes it would be just as jarring.

• Advertisement

If you were to replace the word "man" in my post with "woman", then yes it would be just as jarring.

Why? What's wrong with it? Are you jealous?

Unbelievable assumption that because a select few want a family, that a whole section of people have to dumb down and homogenise with society. Why are we aspiring to that? Humanity is diverse, why not embrace such a diversity? It's not affecting anyone else.

Why on earth would I be jealous? Do you mean envious?

Why on earth would I be jealous? Do you mean envious?

Why on earth would you care what other people are wearing? It's bizarre.

You are judging.

Crazy post.

Of course I'm judging. Everyone does, if you say you don't you're either lying or not self-aware. My POINT is actually that I don't tar an entire community of people (ie people going out at night in Dublin) by the actions of a few. You're right, I don't think it's appropriate to piss in doorways or basically have sex in an alley (I have seen more than my share of both from my sitting room window), so yeah, I will have an opinion (negative) of the few individuals who do stuff like that. I just don't assume everyone out for a few drinks is the same. Do you see the difference?

Of course I'm judging. Everyone does, if you say you don't you're either lying or not self-aware. My POINT is actually that I don't tar an entire community of people (ie people going out at night in Dublin) by the actions of a few. You're right, I don't think it's appropriate to piss in doorways or basically have sex in an alley (I have seen more than my share of both from my sitting room window), so yeah, I will have an opinion (negative) of the few individuals who do stuff like that. I just don't assume everyone out for a few drinks is the same. Do you see the difference?

And there is us thinking Ireland was leaving behind the twitching of lace curtains.

Your attempt to equate gay pride, and what people choose to wear on the gay pride event, with anti social behaviour is noted.

Gay pride events the world over are known for their freedom of dress and expression, and the celebration of that fact, tolerance and diversity.

Why on earth would you care what other people are wearing? It's bizarre.

Reread my post. I said it was jarring. I have no issue with bodily expression, but there's a time and place.

And there is us thinking Ireland was leaving behind the twitching of lace curtains.

Your attempt to equate gay pride, and what people choose to wear on the gay pride event, with anti social behaviour is noted.

Gay pride events the world over are known for their freedom of dress and expression, and the celebration of that fact, tolerance and diversity.

I am not 'equating' anything, I'm simply using another example. I don't actually care what people wear anywhere, if anything I'm all for people twisting gender norms and challenging people- I was actually saying (if you read my other posts) that the types of outfits that are seen at Pride (which is what most people are objecting to apparently) is not outside the realm of what many other people wear both at night and during the day at other events. I was also trying to illustrate that it is possible to acknowledge that what a minority of individuals within a community do shouldn't effect how you view the entire group, for good or bad.

I could just as easily use the example of tarring all teenagers as lazy, or unmotivated, or anti-social, or whatever else the latest nonsense in the press about them is. The majority of young people are bog standard (as much as we all wanted to be unique and special as teenagers!) and grand. Likewise, just because there were probably a couple of "nice" Nazi camp gaurds, doesn't mean our overwhelming opinion of them should be as nice people.

Am I just not explaining myself properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

eviltwin wrote: »
    I get what your saying. Putting my parent hat on I took my then 14 yr old to Pride a few years ago, it was our first time and we were expecting something family friendly seeing as it was happening on a Saturday afternoon in the city centre. I'm not a prude but some of the outfits were a bit out there, guys in tiny little pants and nothing else and it was a bit intimidating / off putting.

Things have changed and people are more open about Pride, people bring their kids to it and that's how it should be, inclusive of the entire community not just the LGBT but that image is what a lot of people think Pride represents, the media jump on it. I want to see pictures of families, teens, straight couples with their kids. I'd like to take my 4 yr old this year but stuff like that concerns me. Would it be too much to ask that one event is kept family friendly, god knows there are enough adult only events that people could save it for.

Skimpy outfits? The horror!

Presumably on the basis that you find pride so risqué, you wouldn't take your kid to the beach either.

Or the swimming pool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm not dictating to anyone, even BDSM communities agree that it's not acceptable in public. Wandering around Dublin half naked during the day isn't acceptable, children can see you. Children aren't even the whole problem just other people in general can see you.

What's the Folsom street fair about then?

Advertisement