Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

KellyR18 wrote: »
    Could someone please give me some advice/tips on how to do do genetic crosses? I really have no clue! Please! :)

you'll fly them once you get the hang of them :)

I'll try do an easy example

Take for instance 2 cats come together to make offspring. One carries the genotype BB and the other type is Bb. BB is a black coat (the dominant coat), Bb is also black dominant (as it still has a dominant gene in its make up) and bb is white (it is the recessive gene.)
    BB = dominant (black)
    Bb = dominant (black)
    bb = recessive (white)

Cat with the genotype BB can only produce the dominant gene, B. He cannot produce b, the recessive gene, as he does not carry it.

Cat with the genotype Bb can produce one of two genes: B or b. She can produce either one as she carries them both.

So put them into a punnet square
    1e57dj.jpg

and fill them in
    2u7n6n4.jpg

You have found the genotype of their possible offspring
    Finding the phenotype is easy so use the key (BB, Bb, bb)
    BB = black coat
    Bb = black coat

If this is too complicated let me know what you don't understand and i might try help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

What's the control for enzyme immbolisation?

Also does anyone know if we need to learn the ratios for genetic crosses? As in would try help identify which type of cross to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

oncex wrote: »

There is none for the actual immobilisation, but for testing application it's free yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Feelinlazy

I'm actually scared for tomorrow >.< Biology is my worst subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

AulBiddy wrote: »
    you'll fly them once you get the hang of them :)

I'll try do an easy example

Take for instance 2 cats come together to make offspring. One carries the genotype BB and the other type is Bb. BB is a black coat (the dominant coat), Bb is also black dominant (as it still has a dominant gene in its make up) and bb is white (it is the recessive gene.)
    BB = dominant (black)
    Bb = dominant (black)
    bb = recessive (white)

Cat with the genotype BB can only produce the dominant gene, B. He cannot produce b, the recessive gene, as he does not carry it.

Cat with the genotype Bb can produce one of two genes: B or b. She can produce either one as she carries them both.

Thanks, I understand that, it's just when they mention homozygous and heterozygous I had no idea which size punnet square to use! Thank you so much!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

oncex wrote: »

Also does anyone know if we need to learn the ratios for genetic crosses? As in would try help identify which type of cross to do?
    Jelly tots. :)

(On a more serious note, glass beads)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

Is spelling a big deal in biology? For example I always spell glycolysis a bit wrong, its usually only a letter or two mixed up. Will they still accept it as correct if its close enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Is spelling a big deal in biology? For example I always spell glycolysis a bit wrong, its usually only a letter or two mixed up. Will they still accept it as correct if its close enough?

I doubt they'll dock you marks for spelling it wrong. If they can make it out, you'll get the marks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peanut.lover22

Be careful with spelling as they are many words which are spelt nearly the exact same bar one or two letters. It could cost you marks and be the difference in a grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

Jesus lads is there anything worse than looking at these experiments....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Which Exps are likely to come up ? Cant study them all at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

brijay wrote: »
    Which Exps are likely to come up ? Cant study them all at this stage

IAA, immobilize enzyme, heart, isolation of DNA, TS of a dicot stem, leaf yeast growth.. Basically filth..

Does anyone know for the Base Pares in DNA if its Adrenine or Adenine? because in my notes its Adenine but in the revise vise its Adrenine? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Feelinlazy wrote: »
    Does anyone know for the Base Pares in DNA if its Adrenine or Adenine? because in my notes its Adenine but in the revise vise its Adrenine? ...
    It's adenine in the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is anyone else feeling very calm about Biology tomorrow ?
    I have struggled since i started in 5th year, but it has all started to click since i finished up school...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So do you guys think the paper will be easier than previous years tommrow or harder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Is anyone else feeling very calm about Biology tomorrow ?
    I have struggled since i started in 5th year, but it has all started to click since i finished up school...

I was up until now...spent all afternoon in the hospital and didn't get a chance to revise anything..Will have a look over experiments in the morning.

Somehow, I have every single question in the exam papers done, and I still don't know half the course. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Ok so what experiments are most likely?
    IAA
    Heart
    Isolating DNA
    Enzyme immobilisation
    Is there more that could? Any predictions, f**** hate unit 1 and experiments, also do you HAVE to do ecology?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ugh why does biology have to be on same day as irish WHYYY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Feelinlazy wrote: »
    I'm actually scared for tomorrow >.< Biology is my worst subject.

Are you ordinary or higher? :) I'm ordinary and literally just want a D3 in it. Not counting for points anyways. It it also my worst subject apart from maths! Can't describe my hatred for it :p

• Advertisement

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Are you ordinary or higher? :) I'm ordinary and literally just want a D3 in it. Not counting for points anyways. It it also my worst subject apart from maths! Can't describe my hatred for it :p

I love Biology apart from anything DNA/genetics related...So hard :pac: Im avoiding any of that stuff, well as much as I can atleast

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Does anyone know the purpose of an acetate grid?

A7XGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know the purpose of an acetate grid?

Measuring seed root lenth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I love Biology apart from anything DNA/genetics related...So hard :pac: Im avoiding any of that stuff, well as much as I can atleast
    So lucky! I'd love to be good at biology, I think it's the fact it's so much learning and laziness is unfortunately a major trait of mine :p I actually don't mind ecology or photosynthesis. Bacteria isn't too bad either. And I really like the food experiments and the food chapter so I suppose I don't hate it that much :p but I might this time tomorrow :p I won't' be touching genetics, will do ecology instead :)
    Would you really need 3 hours for ordinary level? :eek: as I know higher level need to go into a lot more detail. A friend of mine is actually moving up from ordinary to higher. She did higher until mocks and then moved down but she's moving up tomorrow for points!

Lollipop95 wrote: »

Higher. I'm considering dropping it tomorrow but I don't really want to because I need the points T.T, I'm gonna see how I am prepared for tomorrow if i feel like I can't do it imma drop it, I just want a goddamn D1 and I will be over the moon :3

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Does everyone really think bio is that hard? I manged to cover unit 1 2 and about 4 chapters from unit 3 AND all experiments in about 2 weeks, it also helps that the questions repeat themselves.

ALOT

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caoimhz

Anyone know the colour change in the idioform test in the production of alcohol using yeast exp? Am I right in saying its warm orange to green? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Caoimhz wrote: »
    Anyone know the colour change in the idioform test in the production of alcohol using yeast exp? Am I right in saying its warm orange to green? :)

Biuret test : blue to purple

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caoimhz

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Biuret test : blue to purple

So will I just forget the idioform test or is the biuret test the same thing? The amout of confusion this experiment has caused in my life....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Caoimhz wrote: »
    So will I just forget the idioform test or is the biuret test the same thing? The amout of confusion this experiment has caused in my life....
    Hey:) either is fine .
    Iodoform test : pale yellow crystals are formed confirming presence of alcohol .

Advertisement