Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Do we have to do ecology? Would there be a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

allyb17 wrote: »

You don't have to, but in fairness, its all just common sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

There are 6 long questions you do 4, so yeah there's choice. But ecology is handy to know, it's always in the short and long questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caoimhz

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Hey:) either is fine .
    Iodoform test : pale yellow crystals are formed confirming presence of alcohol .

Thanks so much! I'm so nervous for it! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yellow Idoform crystals :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

So what are ye predicting for the long questions?? Lymphatic system is probably gonna pop up I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

So what are ye predicting for the long questions?? Lymphatic system is probably gonna pop up I'd say!

What do we need to know for this, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jackson07

I think male reproduction will be on it for some reason,

For the Lymphatic System, you'd probably get away with just learning it's structure and it's functions! :)

Any of ye think the breathing system will come up?? Or a big dirty ecology question in the long questions??

Shane15 wrote: »
    What do we need to know for this, does anyone know?

Basically the lymphatic system consists of the thoracic duct and the right lymphatic duct. Know the functions:
    1. It collects and returns tissue fluid to the blood, the blood in arteries runs at great pressure so it forced out kind of fluids and proteins and fats, now most of these are re absorbed by venules but some is collected by the lymphatic ducts.
    2. It fights infection in 3 ways. By filtering out micro organisms that may cause harm , by storing and maturing lymphocytes, and with antibody production
    3. It transports and absorbs digested fats.

That's basically it really it's a very small chapter

Also it returns through the ducts, the tissue fluid to the subclavian vein !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 watsupboys

Hi how would u the best describe how you carried investigation out on the IAA (eg 2010 q9) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

I revised over 100 pages of my biology book and I did a LOT of exam questions since my Maths today. I think I am slowly going crazy form the amount of study.

If you are in 5th year and you are reading this, my advice is: DO NOT leave biology until the last day of your exam. Especially if you want to get a low A/high B. Maths and English is manageable for the last day but biology absolutely isn't.

Anyone predict the nephron coming up??

watsupboys wrote: »
    Hi how would u the best describe how you carried investigation out on the IAA (eg 2010 q9) :)

Talk about the serial dilution for sure
    The you mark each Petri dish I think it's 8, so one will have the full stock solution and each is a tenth of the concentration of the previous. Ensure the acetate grid is on and fill with cotton wool etc and pour rest of the assigned IAA solution onto the cotton wool to absorb it. Ensure that they're marked appropriately. Incubate etc.. I think it's more IAA means more shoot growth and less root growth and less IAA means more root growth and less shoot growth. Forgive me if I'm wrong this is all at the top of my head!

This is terrible :( :L

Basically the lymphatic system consists of the thoracic duct and the right lymphatic duct. Know the functions:
    1. It collects and returns tissue fluid to the blood, the blood in arteries runs at great pressure so it forced out kind of fluids and proteins and fats, now most of these are re absorbed by venules but some is collected by the lymphatic ducts.
    2. It fights infection in 3 ways. By filtering out micro organisms that may cause harm , by storing and maturing lymphocytes, and with antibody production
    3. It transports and absorbs digested fats.

That's basically it really it's a very small chapter

Also it returns through the ducts, the tissue fluid to the subclavian vein !

Thanks so much. :D

Could somebody please break down Respiration for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Would I be grand basing my revision on the syllabus learning outcomes thingy, as opposed to just going through everything in the book? What they say you need to know from a chapter is sometimes a lot less than everything the book emphasises.

Only got home a while ago, I hate living so far away from school. Time to break out the Red Bull, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 watsupboys

Quote:
    Talk about the serial dilution for sure
    The you mark each Petri dish I think it's 8, so one will have the full stock solution and each is a tenth of the concentration of the previous. Ensure the acetate grid is on and fill with cotton wool etc and pour rest of the assigned IAA solution onto the cotton wool to absorb it. Ensure that they're marked appropriately. Incubate etc.. I think it's more IAA means more shoot growth and less root growth and less IAA means more root growth and less shoot growth. Forgive me if I'm wrong this is all at the top of my head!

Hi thanks for this but i mean could anyone acc write what thy would write in. There is a lot of it nd i find i difficult to put everything in words in such amount of space. I also want to cut as much as possible to be able to still get full marks thanks a lot again :)

Does at least one of photosynthesis, ecology or genetics usually get a long question to themselves? I know them well, especially genetics since I'm actually interested in it.

• Advertisement

If anyone has any long question predictions will you tell me please before my head explodes xxxxxxxxxx

Think my teacher said that there's always 1 Long Q from Unit 1, 2 Long Qs from Unit 2 and 3 Long Qs from Unit 3. But for Unit 1 the options are basically limited to Food and Ecology, since there's not enough in the others to really get a long question out of it. I think Food was the Long Q one year so far, every other year it has been Ecology. So you can defo be pretty sure on a long Ecology question, and I'm pretty sure Genetics comes up as one most of the time as well.

Photosynthesis wouldn't be guaranteed as a long but I imagine it'd pop up somewhere.

Fiske wrote: »
    Think my teacher said that there's always 1 Long Q from Unit 1, 2 Long Qs from Unit 2 and 3 Long Qs from Unit 3. But for Unit 1 the options are basically limited to Food and Ecology, since there's not enough in the others to really get a long question out of it. I think Food was the Long Q one year so far, every other year it has been Ecology. So you can defo be pretty sure on a long Ecology question, and I'm pretty sure Genetics comes up as one most of the time as well.

Photosynthesis wouldn't be guaranteed as a long but I imagine it'd pop up somewhere.

I don't use the book so I have no idea what's in each unit, but thanks! Gives me hope. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 b3rnade11e

Is anyone expecting the carbon cycle or the nitrogen cycle to pop up?

Shane15 wrote: »
    I don't use the book so I have no idea what's in each unit, but thanks! Gives me hope. :P

The way it's organised in my book is:

Unit 1 (1 Long Question)

scientific method
    characteristics of life
    food
    ecology
    higher level ecology
    study of an ecosystem

^ So as you can see....pretty likely Ecology Q here. Food gets asked in short questions a lot, but Scientific Method and stuff never seems to make an appearance other than maybe asking what a hypothesis is and stuff like that.

Unit 2 (Two Long Questions)

cell structure
    cell diversity
    enzymes
    HL enzymes, energy carriers
    photosynthesis
    respiration
    diffusion + osmosis
    cell division
    classification and hereditry
    DNA and RNA
    genetic crosses
    variation and evolution
    genetic engineering

^ Once again, this one is pretty small in scope. Just knowing Genetics and everything to do with the cell will do you a world of good.

Unit 3 (3 Long Questions)

classification of organisms
    monera
    fungi
    protista (amoeba)
    flowering plant structure
    transport, food storage, gas exchange in flowering plants
    blood
    heart + blood vessels
    lymphatic system
    human nutrition
    homeostasis
    human breathing
    excretion
    plant responses
    the nervous system
    the senses
    endocrine system
    skeleton and muscles
    human defence system
    viruses
    sexual reproduction in flowering plants
    vegatative propagation
    human reproduction

^ Widest range of topics is in Unit 3 by far! But just by knowing Unit 1 and Unit 2, you have 3/4 of your long questions, and they are much narrower in scope and therefore easier to revise for. Above all make sure you know Units 1 and 2 really well, they cover most of the exam on their own. Then go ahead and learn all of this if you feel like xD

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ib2014

Nah, came up last year didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jackson07

I don't think it'll be adivsable to study nitrogen cycle since it was on last years paper it's too long and takes up to much time!

This is what I'm predicting..

Short Q's:
    1. Food
    2. Nitrogen Cycle
    3. Cell Division
    4. Human Embryo Development
    5. Genetic Engineering
    6. Digestion

Experiments:
    7. Heart Dissection
    8. IAA
    9. DNA extraction/TS of Dicot stem

Long Questions:
    10. Genetics
    11. Ecology
    12. Circulatory System + Breathing System
    13. Seed Dispersal + Variation/Evolution + The Eye
    14. Respiration + Photosynthesis

.. What do ye think??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TaiHusky

This is what I'm predicting..

Short Q's:
    1. Food
    2. Nitrogen Cycle
    3. Cell Division
    4. Human Embryo Development
    5. Genetic Engineering
    6. Digestion

Experiments:
    7. Heart Dissection
    8. IAA
    9. DNA extraction/TS of Dicot stem

Long Questions:
    10. Genetics
    11. Ecology
    12. Circulatory System + Breathing System
    13. Seed Dispersal + Variation/Evolution + The Eye
    14. Respiration + Photosynthesis

.. What do ye think??

I think its fairly well predicted. For now Im focusing on the experiments since its 30%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Could somebody please break down Respiration for me?

First stage is Glycolysis
    Glycolysis takes place in the cytosol of the cell, does not require oxygen.
    6carbon molecule is split into 2 pyruvic acid (3carbon molecule).
    Small amounts of energy are released (ATP)

Stage two requires oxygen
    If oxygen is present, pyruvic acid will enter mitochondrion.
    Pyruvic acid will be split into CO2 and Acetyl Co-Enzyme A. Two high energy electrons are lost from pyruvic acid, which join with NAD and a proton to form NADH.

Krebs Cycle
    Krebs cycle takes place in the lumen of mitochondrion.
    Acetyl CoA will enter the Krebs cycle. It is broken down into CO2 and protons.
    Protons released are picked up by the electron carrier NAD to form NADH. There is also ATP formed.

Electron transport chain
    Located on the inner membranes of mitochondrion.
    High energy electrons are passed on from NADH from one molecule to another. They lose energy and form ATP. At the end of each electron transport system, the low energy electrons (lost all the energy) are removed, as they combine with Hydrogen and Oxygen to form water.

Advertisement