Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

If that's how you see it...

If you want to do well and you only study one poet then you are knowingly taking a risk that they won't come up and you won't be able to answer the question. A student wanting to do well should take steps to reduce that risk. This has happened before and student should be aware that there are no guarantees.

Anyway I'm done arguing with this it was a fair paper that prepared students will have done well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I thought the 70mark cultural context question was pretty hard. I did the 30/40 which I have no experience with but it was ok :pac:

Rest of the paper was very generous. Happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

PLATH :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Last minute study of Dickinson's poem titles proved pivotal in my understanding of her poetry.

Did part a and b of comparative for the first time ever

Managed to write 5 pages about AvR, Kingship and Soliloquoys in Macbeth...decent paper, turned out better than I expected at first glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

If you want to do well and you only study one poet then you are knowingly taking a risk that they won't come up and you won't be able to answer the question. This has happened before and student should be aware that there are no guarantees.

None of that is in question!

• Advertisement

con8 wrote: »

Blaze it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Anyone get screwed without Heaney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

MacBeth questions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

PLATHGATE 2014! xD welp there was a shock
    What did you guys do for that macbeth question about relationships being power stuggles?
    I mean what do the hell does that mean? I wrote about how LM has power over Macbeth and Macbeth has no power over Ladymacbeth and how Banquo was a treat to Macbeths power?...Something along the lines of that please tell me! It was kinda a wishy washey question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

NIMROD. PLATH. YES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

aleatorio wrote: »
    I'm so heartbroken.
    Everything I wanted came up, but I buckled under the pressure and got overwhelmed and forgot everything for GVV, and wrote a rambling piece of ****e for Macbeth :(

I did the part A and B of Cultural context for the first time ever and rambled about 5 pages for Macbeth's dramatic techniques...welcome to the club! Although don't worry about it, still get a decent grade :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Philip Larkin is the man for the job :D never have I been more relieved to see a poet's name!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

:)

Plath <3

Simple Macbeth relationship question.

Cultural context 30/40 was kinda tough.

Overall, chuffed with that paper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

That went well enough I suppose. I only knew Macbeth and General Vision and Viewpoint so I was delighted with that.

Knew nothing for Macbeth though. Hadn't studied it and they were tough questions to spoof...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shaunicus

plath's the way uh huh uh huh i like it

I'm so heartbroken.
    Everything I wanted came up, but I buckled under the pressure and got overwhelmed and forgot everything for GVV, and wrote a rambling piece of ****e for Macbeth :(

You'll be fine! I thought my Macbeth essay was a load of crap and didn't flow but I got 47 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

I'm so heartbroken.

I managed to not finish 3 parts of the paper, I feel your pain.

Edit: What's done is done. Be grand shure. Seriously don't let it get you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

I'm so heartbroken.

Dot worry about it! U always do better than u think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robynreid

Does anyone know if higher level english paper 1 and paper 2 are corrected by same examiner at same time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Yeatsy baby!!!! #Ilovewillie

yes yes yes

Paper went well overall, I mean I dont think I was A standard or anything but that's fine I just want a B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Yeatsy baby!!!! #Ilovewillie

yes yes yes

Paper went well overall, I mean I dont think I was A standard or anything but that's fine I just want a B

We know. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

PLATH YA BEAUT

My face when I saw that paper at first I I nearly cried.....but it wasn't that bad. Didn't really like the general vision questions but I thought the cultural context were worse! Also that Heaney poem was really hard? Harder than anyunseen I've done before!

My hands going to fall off I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Well wha'dya know, Heaney came up after all.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mike123!

Thought it was a rather difficult paper! 30 40 gv & vp never appeared in that format in the last 10 years! Yeats had four parts to the question and macbeth...... power struggle? They were generous with the poets tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

Crap. Oh crap. I stupidly misread Macbeth q and solely focused on his power struggle with Lady Macbeth, bar about three lines on Banquo. How much will I lose for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Well that was beautiful.

Wrote 5 pages on Macbeth ( relationships question)
    4 on the 70 mark GVV
    5 on Dickinson
    And 1 on the unseen poetry.

I feel it was written quite well too, confident I did well.

Very cheeky of the SEC to have Heaney in the unseen section:p

What did people talk about for the Macbeth's relationship are primarily power struggles?

mike123! wrote: »
    Thought it was a rather difficult paper! 30 40 gv & vp never appeared in that format in the last 10 years! Yeats had four parts to the question and macbeth...... power struggle? They were generous with the poets tho....

yeah what was with this power struggle nonsense! what did you write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Well that was beautiful.

Wrote 5 pages on Macbeth ( relationships question)
    4 on the 70 mark GVV
    5 on Dickinson
    And 1 on the unseen poetry.

I feel it was written quite well too, confident I did well.

Very cheeky of the SEC to have Heaney in the unseen section:p

Don't mean to criticise or anything but, why would write only 4 pages for gvv but more for Macbeth and Poetry. You do realise that gvv is worth 20 marks more than poetry, and 10 more than macbeth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm still grinning at this.

Plathgate :D

I did Lady MacB, Banquo and Malcolm for Macbeth's relationships.

Advertisement