Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 im stuck! cnt tink of gud name

What are the chances that theme will come up on the comparative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

What are the chances that theme will come up on the comparative ?

About the same as cultural context. It's highly unlikely both will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Why are people doubting CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

For the comparative can you just write about two texts or do you have to talk about the three??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ms.tinx

Ok so we were only taught cultural context nd theme r issue abuse of power which is more likely to come up..... freaking out here :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    For the comparative can you just write about two texts or do you have to talk about the three??

Refer to 3 in your essay, but you can talk about 2 in a paragraph if you want. Some texts eg Casablanca, have very little to write about under certain headings eg Religion, so I normally just write about 2 texts under Religion. I would only do this sparingly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sifnband

I think it says you must refer to at least two (don't take my word for that) but it's best to refer to all three

Dream paper:
    - Dickinson
    -Lady Macbeth/Banquo
    -General Vision and Viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ms.tinx

3 but the question might split it into 2 parts a) compare 2 nd b) discuss the other

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

ms.tinx wrote: »
    Ok so we were only taught cultural context nd theme r issue abuse of power which is more likely to come up..... freaking out here :-/

One of them has to come up, I'd probably say theme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I am completely scewed for Macbeth. I don't think I know enough. So paranoid I'm going to fail English

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

You can answer on two Texts if the question specifies "At least TWO texts".

In terms of length (I know it's not a about length) is this enough?

Poetry: 4-4.5 pages
    Unseen poetry: 1-1.5 pages
    Comparative: 5-6 pages
    Macbeth: 4.5 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Why are people doubting cultural context coming up?

jazz101 wrote: »
    Why are people doubting cultural context coming up?

I think because it came up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

sifnband wrote: »
    Dream paper:
    - Dickinson
    -Lady Macbeth/Banquo
    -General Vision and Viewpoint

I am the exact same.
    Keep the fingers crossed!!

b0gg3r wrote: »
    I think because it came up last year.

Uh oh. It's the only one I'm confident answering.

Just to clarify.. am I right in saying that at least two of GVV, CC and Theme will definitely come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Just to clarify.. am I right in saying that at least two of GVV, CC and Theme will definitely come up?

Yep two of those.

Yes :)

Lovely, I might be OK so. Thanks for that!

What length are ye writing for yer answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Any tips for ploughing through the questions faster? I failed to start and failed to finish a question in Paper 1 unfortunately. I did allocate timing, but I just wasn't able to finish them in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Any tips for ploughing through the questions faster? I failed to start and failed to finish a question in Paper 1 unfortunately. I did allocate timing, but I just wasn't able to finish them in that time.

Leave the one you're least confident in answering until last. Make sure you do the unseen poetry, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I have learned general Macbeth quotes so that I can answer a qs on kingship, AvR, Macbeth and lady Macbeth. Also learned general quotes that I can use in theme or issue or cultural context. Only know Heaney quotes and half know Dickinson's poetry. Please Heaney appear on poetry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I hope there's a Never Let Me Go question about Kathy as a narrator. Anything about the relationships between the characters wouldn't suit me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1995

Chances of Yeats coming up just studied him ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

1995 wrote: »
    Chances of Yeats coming up just studied him ??????

It's 1/2 statistically but I'd put him as a 70% chance of coming up. I'm just speculating but I think he's likely to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1995

robman60 wrote: »
    It's 1/2 statistically but I'd put him as a 70% chance of coming up. I'm just speculating but I think he's likely to appear.

Cheers dunno who yeah are but you have put my mind at rest for the moment :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Have we any 5th year attendents posting this year to tell us whats on??!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

The suspense is killing me... Anyone???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Tense times if there's no sign of wee seamus.

Advertisement