Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

What did people talk about for the Macbeth's relationship are primarily power struggles?

Duncan, Banquo for power struggles and then contrasted with his relantionship with Lady Macbeth and the Witches ( they hold the power etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

That went great :)
    Now to study maths and geography going to be great :(;;;

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Don't mean to criticise or anything but, why would write only 4 pages for gvv but more for Macbeth and Poetry. You do realise that gvv is worth 20 marks more than poetry, and 10 more than macbeth.

Yeah I understand that, I couldn't come up with anymore to write on the GVV though, I still feel four pages is a substantial amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mike123!

yeah what was with this power struggle nonsense! what did you write about?

I got 4 and a half pages on it. I wrote about that Lady Macbeth was the driving force behind his quest for power and that murdering Duncan was the start of his downfall and struggle to maintain power. And that he was jelly and icecream of Banquo and Fleances
    threat to his power! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Duncan, Banquo for power struggles and then contrasted with his relantionship with Lady Macbeth and the Witches ( they hold the power etc.)

I thought the question wasnt very specific maybe I did it wrong.. I did do the Lm holding the power over Macbeth.. Then banquo was a threat to his power but Im not sure if that is anything to do with it :/

• Advertisement

mike123! wrote: »
    I got 4 and a half pages on it. I wrote about that Lady Macbeth was the driving force behind his quest for power and that murdering Duncan was the start of his downfall and struggle to maintain power. And that he was jelly and icecream of Banquo and Fleances
    threat to his power! :)

Thank god Thats something along the lines of what i did.. Lm's power over Macbeth and Banquo was a threat to his power..Didn't do Duncan... Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What did people talk about for the Macbeth's relationship are primarily power struggles?

I did the swaying balance of power in his relationship with LM, how she begins as the dominant figure but it eventually ends up as a sort of role reversal.

Then I did the struggle for power between Macbeth and the witches over the control of macbeth's mind and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

DICKINSOOOOOOOOOOOOOON CAME UUUUUUUUIUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!

I passed English for sure now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I said how LM and witches gave him the power and led him to his downfall and Banquo being a threat who he attempted to take power from.

Was a bit unsure about the 'struggle' bit though..didn't know how to interpret that..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭iWin1010

Was disgusted with the Macbath questions upon a first glance but they turned out to be not that bad. - I did power struggle
    G.V + V 70 mark was lovely. Basically just a generic G.V+V
    And I almost screamed when I saw Dickinson's name, I was so happy!!! 😝

Can't believe I'm finally finished English!! Best feeling ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

I thought the question wasnt very specific maybe I did it wrong.. I did do the Lm holding the power over Macbeth.. Then banquo was a threat to his power but Im not sure if that is anything to do with it :/

As long as you can back up whatever you said it's fine, I just said Lady M was in control in the beginning but there was no real power struggle in my opinion because she just fades into the background of her guilt allowing power hungry Macbeth to go do whatever and not tell her what was happening. I feel like my brain turned to mush during that exam ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

con8 wrote: »

It was the most generous, but that doesn't mean I did extraordinarily well

i literally finished as our examiner called pens down, no one left!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Got on alright on macbeth question. Only wrote a page and half talking about 1 text in comparative and only got two pages on larkin. Would i get many marks for this effort?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aspiring wrote: »
    NIMROD. PLATH. YES.
    Shaunicus wrote: »
    plath's the way uh huh uh huh i like it
    Daniel2590 wrote: »
    PLATH :D :pac:

High five, people!

They all said she wouldn't come on two years in a row. I went in at 12 and told everyone I'm studying Plath for the next two hours, screw Dickinson, I said. I'm mad, they said. Heaney is still a safe bet, they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Larkin biaaatch <3 I don't know why but my hand hurt so bad like never I couldn't write fast and left my unseen poetry unfinished :( and my Macbeth essay was very waffly at times, but sure feck it :p

Question is though... What to do with my massive English folder..

I said how LM and witches gave him the power and led him to his downfall and Banquo being a threat who he attempted to take power from.

Was a bit unsure about the 'struggle' bit though..didn't know how to interpret that..

yeah I said something like that Was a bit thrown off but the power stuggles.. But Im glad Its in the same ball park as some people and I didnt just blab on about relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

did anyone do the second macbeth question? I'm just curious as to what ye said because I wouldn't even know how to start that question :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

For the relationship question I wrote on his relationship with the witches Duncan and lady Macbeth is that okay or did I screw up?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    High five, people!

They all said she wouldn't come on two years in a row. I went in at 12 and told everyone I'm studying Plath for the next two hours, screw Dickinson, I said. I'm mad, they said. Heaney is still a safe bet, they said.

It was such a nice question on her as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

thought the paper was very nice!

Did
    -Yeats
    -30/40 CC - I never do 30/40 but 70m was a biiiiiiitch!!!
    -Power struggle in MB - did LM, Witches, Duncan, Banquo & Macduff (one paragraph on each)
    -10/10 on unseen.. was fairly straightforward, typical unseen poem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

No one is crying about just studying Heaney?
    I think it was very nice of the SEC to put Heaney on paper 1 because it gave all the chancers a chance to learn another poet....

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Ok guys need some help here

Did macbeth realationship questions, I talked about his realationship and struggle for power him and both lady macbeth had for the throne, then for the second realationship I talked about the struggle for power and realationship between macbeth and scotland as a WHOLE (such as its people, banquo and macduff) should that be fine?

Next up for the 70 mark CVAV question I picked three scenes from each one of my texts, the opening, the middle and the endings and compared and contrasted them, should that be ok too? How did you guys find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Nice paper. Didn't get to read over what I wrote though, was pretty caught for time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

That was the most average test I've ever done...

C2 here we come!

The comparative is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

I did the swaying balance of power in his relationship with LM, how she begins as the dominant figure but it eventually ends up as a sort of role reversal.

Then I did the struggle for power between Macbeth and the witches over the control of macbeth's mind and actions.

SAME! yes thank god someone answered it like i did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I come out of the exam centre..

"Who'd everyone answer on for poetry?"

All: Dickinson
    Me: Plath

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Aspiring wrote: »
    I come out of the exam centre..

"Who'd everyone answer on for poetry?"

All: Dickinson
    Me: Plath

everyone in mine did dickinson too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I loved it . Dickinson question , I had learned off was pretty much the exact same . Macbeth I did relationship between Macbeth , lady Macbeth , Duncan and banquo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Does anyone know if the relationship between the witches and Macbeth and then the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth would of been ok for the power struggles macbeth question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 123corby

Did anyone write about LM and Macduff for the Macbeth question? Everybody seemed to have banquo as their second charachter.. ****

Advertisement