Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Nothing? (Nervous mother here trying to distract myself).

Please GOD Seamus will do us a favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They must be all doing OK if no-one has left yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Bicycle wrote: »
    Nothing? (Nervous mother here trying to distract myself).
    I wasn't this nervous 28* years ago when I did my LC!
    Thankfully daughter is calm.

* I feel soooo old all of a sudden:(

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Ah Princess Bride, I did my leaving in 1981. You're only a childer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Poets are Yeats, Dickenson, Larkin, Plath...kid just out in our school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Had a feeling that Heaney wouldn't be on it....

Macbeth question/s, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Actually he just told us that Heaney was the unseen poem...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Poets are Yeats, Dickenson, Larkin, Plath...kid just out in our school.

PLEASE let this be true....

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Actually he just told us that Heaney was the unseen poem...

Really? :P It' a bit of a shake up, then.....

When I did my LC in 2010 everyone was convinced Boland would come up and banked on her alone...she didn't come up. Students never learn... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

When I did my LC in 2010 everyone was convinced Boland would come up and banked on her alone...she didn't come up. Students never learn... :P

There was audible uproar in my class! I remember the first fella got his paper in the top corner and starting riffling through it...7 seconds later a very audible "ah ****" and we all started groaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Yeats, Larkin, Dickinson and Plath :D Expect ructions as Heaney made a surprise appearance in the unseen..

There was audible uproar in my class! I remember the first fella got his paper in the top corner and starting riffling through it...7 seconds later a very audible "ah ****" and we all started groaning.

My brother is sitting his LC this year and I relayed this experience to him to make sure he had enough poets covered. He knew Dickenson pretty well too so he should be fine.

Heaney for unseen as well as Paper 1...that's actually pretty funny. Fair play SEC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeats, Larkin, Dickinson and Plath :D Expect ructions as Heaney made a surprise appearance in the unseen..

Sounds like they're fed up of the 'learned off essays' (aka 'sample' answers) brigade. If Heaney has been studied, an unseen poem by him is a perfect way to test what has been learned.
    It's not as if it wasn't signalled many times in Chief Examiner's reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

My brother is sitting his LC this year and I relayed this experience to him to make sure he had enough poets covered. He knew Dickenson pretty well too so he should be fine.

Heaney for unseen as well as Paper 1...that's actually pretty funny. Fair play SEC!

My brother too! Didn't touch Heaney, Dickenson was his preferred choice :)

Anyone know anything about Single Text or Comparative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think my goddaughter is up **** creek as she had banked on Heaney. Now she had revised others but this is a harsh lesson. You cannot put all your eggs in one basket. There's always going to be one you prefer and that but you shouldn't be going in almost pleading for one to come up. Mentally it sets you back also.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

I wonder if any of Heaney's poems deals with a sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Fair play SEC!

I think that a little insensitive considering a sizeable minority seems to have been banking on Heaney.

IMO, expecting students to study at least five poets equally well for one-eight of the marks in the exam is ridiculous. They're almost goading students into gambling.

spurious wrote: »
    If Heaney has been studied, an unseen poem by him is a perfect way to test what has been learned.

Whether one is familiar with the poet is irrelevant in the unseen section.

If they were banking on Heaney they got a chance to answer on him.

They just had to prepare for some other poets too, which they should have been doing anyway.

The Chief Examiner's reports have been giving hints about these sorts of 'surprises' for many years.

Well with recurring themes and similar styles it would be of better use than a completely unknown poem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Popkornetto

Can we get news about Macbeth and the Comparative, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Well with recurring themes and similar styles it would be of better use than a completely unknown poem...

Would it though.

The unseen section examines students understanding of Style, whereas students overwhelmingly tend to prioritise discussing Theme in the seen-poetry section. The student who has not studied the unseen poet would not be disadvantaged.

Edit: actually, the first is not true. But, I believe the second remains so.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

I remember the first girl to get the paper burst into tears; the supervisor had to get a box of tissues nd handed them out to all those crying. I was so happy I ignored the prediction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 con8

MACBETH Q's
    (i)"Macbeth's relationships with other characters can be seen primarily as power struggles which prove crucial to outcome of the play?"

Discuss the above statement in relation to at least two of Macbeth's relationships with other characters.

(ii) "Throughout the play, Macbeth, Shakespeare makes effective use of a variety of dramatic techniques that evoke a wide range of responses from the audience"

Discuss... at least two dramatic techniques by Shakespeare

That first Macbeth question is fairly decent and broad....

What was the unseen Heaney poem?

Unseen Heaney Poem was "The Peninsula"

I think that a little insensitive considering a sizeable minority seems to have been banking on Heaney.

IMO, expecting students to study at least five poets equally well for one-eight of the marks in the exam is ridiculous. They're almost goading students into gambling.

But studying only one is madness. I did the LC and I had a favourite poet too but I didn't assume he'd come up just because it was predicted? I covered 2 poets very well, another 2 reasonably well, had a choice from 2 on the day. No one said you have to learn 5 equally well, that's obviously too much focus on only one section of the exam. I expect the examiners are sick of reading pre prepared essays which show no engagement with the question or subject.

con8 wrote: »
    MACBETH Q's
    (i)"Macbeth's relationships with other characters can be seen primarily as power struggles which prove crucial to outcome of the play?"

Discuss the above statement in relation to at least two of Macbeth's relationships with other characters.

(ii) "Throughout the play, Macbeth, Shakespeare makes effective use of a variety of dramatic techniques that evoke a wide range of responses from the audience"

Discuss... at least two dramatic techniques by Shakespeare

Contrary to what someone else said, I don't much like the first question - you can already see the inevitable blunder: students are not going to demonstrate that the struggles "proved crucial". The second is a peach if you studied it!

• Advertisement

CULTURAL CONTEXT
    (a) "Various social groups, both large and small (such as family, friends, organisations or community) reflect the cultural context in the texts"

(b) With reference to the text you refered to in 1 (a) above and at least one other text from your comparative course, compare how the two other aspects of the texts (excluding the aspect discussed in 1 (a)) influenced your understanding of the general vision and viewpoint of those texts.

2."The cultural context within a text often dictates the crisis or difficulties faced by characters and their responses to these difficulties"

---

GENERAL VISION

1. "The extent to which a reader can relate an aspect of a text to his or her experience of life, helps to shape an understanding of the general vision and viewpoint of that text"

2. "Significant events in texts and the impact they have on the reader often help to clarify the general vision and viewpoint of those texts"

Advertisement