Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

English

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Only6days

What a humorous response

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Only6days wrote: »
    What a humorous response

Well you sir have a good sense of humour .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Crayons...up my nostrils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

-Dickinson for poetry
    -GVV for comparative
    -Kathy as a narrator and the horrible reality in Never Let Me Go for the single text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mike123!

Engineering & English!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Banking on Dickinson.. I'll half learn Heaney, Bishop and Larkin
    The comparative should be piss easy, but the Macbeth could be ehh..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Here is a great macbeth summary , i suggest you all watch it to get the story back in your heads

/watch?v=uzAujyWpK_s

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

Anyone have any notes / essay on the witches? I doubt it'll come up but just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Dickinson.
    General Vision and Viewpoint.

Banking on them coming up - don't know any other poems from any other poet.

Not sure what I'll do for Macbeth yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 eoin14

If anyone has an essay on Banquo on MacDuff together I'd be willing to swap. I've lots of A sample answers, just not for these two together and people are saying they may come up!
    DM me pleeease!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LH_

Honestly panicking about paper 2. I vaguely know Yeats, Dickinson and Heaney and I might as well throw Heaney out the window.

Any tips for last minute cramming for Dickinson and Yeats?

Should I just try and learn their poems with language used(Alliteration, Assonance, Repetition etc..)

or how should I go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

I'm struggling with knowing what to cram at this stage....
    I've gone for GVV for comparative,
    the appeal of macbeth in general and a few characters like LM and Banquo
    but the poetry is killing me!
    I have Dickinson and Yeats down...struggling with Heaney and cant decide whether it's worth it doing a fourth poet :/

LH_ wrote: »
    Honestly panicking about paper 2. I vaguely know Yeats, Dickinson and Heaney and I might as well throw Heaney out the window.

Any tips for last minute cramming for Dickinson and Yeats?

Should I just try and learn their poems with language used(Alliteration, Assonance, Repetition etc..)

or how should I go about it?

Well you've picked good poets to work on....
    Both Yeats and Dickinson progress through their poetry almost as if theres a story depending on your order.

Dickinson can pretty much be mostly based around style.....I centre her poetry around Hope is the thing with feathers and the fact that each dash at the end of her more pessimistic poems leave us in the knowledge that hope will save her again.
    Hope that helps in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

I don't know whether it suits anyone other then myself but my advice is to literally write out quotes again and again and again and again until you know them. Forget notes, write quotes. Then if you've the slightest idea what the poem is basically about, you should be able to mould your answers around your quotes. Worked for me in the mocks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

Daledge wrote: »
    I don't know whether it suits anyone other then myself but my advice is to literally write out quotes again and again and again and again until you know them. Forget notes, write quotes. Then if you've the slightest idea what the poem is basically about, you should be able to mould your answers around your quotes. Worked for me in the mocks anyway.

Exactly. If you're relatively intelligent you can get very high marks in English only having studied quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭iWin1010

Quick question do you need to use quotes throughout your comparative answer?
    I asked my teacher and she said no, but to be honest she's a sh!t teacher. I used them in my mocks and it looks like I got rewarded for it. Any suggestions??

Our teacher said it really does strengthen your arguments particularly for GVV for some reason.
    But when I use quotes I literally use one worded ones and I got near full marks in the mocks....but thats the mocks so I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anklebiters

so I'm studying GVAV.
    I'm doing: men's actions overpowering women's emotions, duties and the American dream.

But I'm wondering if American dream might be too like cultural context.
    What do you think is it ok or would I lose marks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

So are we ruling heaney out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »

could well happen that he will appear in both papers

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

OK so you know the way for Cultural Context you can talk about the comparatives under different headings like role of men, role of women, children in society etc. I want to know for theme or issue if you used the same kind of headings to talk about the theme would that be wrong?
    My theme is power so if I talked about the power of women, the power of men and then the power of children would I be marked poorly because it seems kind of like Cultural C.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 griffin246

ugh this is killing me, what do people think the macbeth question will be? lady macbeth? kingship? good V evil? help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

For the Cultural Context would I be all right if I am able to write lengthy meaningful content on Money, Marriage, Religion and Gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »

not necessarily, two different sets of people write each paper so he could easily be on both!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Please let Heaney, Dickinson or Yeats come up. Otherwise I have quite possibly failed English

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Please let Heaney, Dickinson or Yeats come up. Otherwise I have quite possible failed English

I NEED Yeats on this paper! I could write a decent Heaney or Dickinson essay, but I love writing about Yeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I'm studying Mahon and Dickinson and looking over Yeats for poetry

I've ignored everything else because I generally do well in Macbeth and there's just too much to cram for the comparative, I'm hoping knowing the basic storylines will be enough to get me a B in it, hoping for Cultural Context, hate Vision and Viewpoint, not mad about Theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Have the witches ever come up on their own? I don't have any points for them :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

oncex wrote: »
    Have the witches ever come up on their own? I don't have any points for them :/

http://webofnotes.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/macbeth-past-and-sample-exam-questions/

Yes, in 1983 and 1953. Every 30 years, maybe they'll come up this year :pac:

Advertisement