Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

123corby wrote: »
    Did anyone write about LM and Macduff for the Macbeth question? Everybody seemed to have banquo as their second charachter.. ****

Me!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

I did YEATS!
    70 mark CC, thought that was fairly nice tbh!
    Relationships MB question with - Lady Macbeth and The Witches !
    and the (10) (10) unseen poetry question !
    all and all i think that was a fairly nice paper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I done macbeth, LMB, Banquo and abita Macduff.

Beautiful paper, couldn't of gone better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Yeats' question had 4 parts to it.. I felt it was a bit difficult to emphasise each part. Still managed it well, was unbelievably happy to see Yeats!

I think I messed up the comparative though? Don't wanna be "that" person who annoyingly asks how many marks I'll lose but..... In the 70 mark gvv it ask how significant events, and the impact they had on you, effects the gvv... Well I answered the events and gvv part but was in such a rush the personal impact part didn't go into my brain so I barely mentioned my impact. How bad is the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

123corby wrote: »
    Did anyone write about LM and Macduff for the Macbeth question? Everybody seemed to have banquo as their second charachter.. ****

You had me scared it had to be just two characters :pac: did 4, hopefully didn't sacrifice any detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Does anyone know if the relationship between the witches and Macbeth and then the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth would of been ok for the power struggles macbeth question?

That's what I wrote about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Does anyone know if the relationship between the witches and Macbeth and then the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth would of been ok for the power struggles macbeth question?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

•Wrote a good 6ish pages for Macbeth on the witches, banquo and lady Macbeth
    • did the 70 mark gv&v question. Wasn't my finest hour, but it was enough, had about 15 "significant events" so hopefully that won't detract from it as a hole
    • Larkin!! :D Did a good 6 pages on him, I managed to curse in a state exam which is an achievement!
    • unseen wasn't my best, did the 10\10 one!
    Its over now though, no more joyous hours spent learning quotes!
    HL maths now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

Badwulf wrote: »
    Ok guys need some help here

Did macbeth realationship questions, I talked about his realationship and struggle for power him and both lady macbeth had for the throne, then for the second realationship I talked about the struggle for power and realationship between macbeth and scotland as a WHOLE (such as its people, banquo and macduff) should that be fine?

Next up for the 70 mark CVAV question I picked three scenes from each one of my texts, the opening, the middle and the endings and compared and contrasted them, should that be ok too? How did you guys find it?
    That take on the Macbeth sounds interesting. As long as you've backed it up it'll be grand.
    Sadly I do CC, which was not fun to say the least. I only talked about 3 of my headings and there was probably a tonne of waffle. I feel like for this exam I panicked and started writing everything I could. Still over 6ish pages I think but 6 not so good pages

Well definitely not improving on my mock grade I'd be lucky to get that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 123corby

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Me!

Alright not so bad, thought I was the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aspiring wrote: »
    I come out of the exam centre..

"Who'd everyone answer on for poetry?"

All: Dickinson
    Me: Plath

Same.

Mostly Dickinson, some Larkin. Then there was me.

Dickinson and Larkin questions were nice too, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

The Plath question looked lovely but I only had 1 poem learned off for the love part :mad:

So I did Dickinson and the dramatic aspects part was actually kinda hard to write about...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

I hope so cause I did his relationship with Lady Macbeth and Banquo

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Same.

Mostly Dickinson, some Larkin. Then there was me.

The correctors will be delighted to see one or two Plaths in a field of Dickinson and Larkin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

I was a bit confused over the Macbeth question. I talked about the ladymacbeth was the most powerful at the start, yet over time he became the dominant figure. Is this correct to write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

courtney95 wrote: »
    I hope so cause I did his relationship with Lady Macbeth and Banquo

I used macduff aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Mostly Dickinson and Yeats in my school

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

It said for comparative to do 3 texts. I only wrote about 2 of them. Will i still get mark for what i wrote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I did the struggle for power between Macbeth and Banquo and Macbeth and Duncan. I would have loved to have written about LAdy macbeth I know her so well but I couldnt really see how she was struglling for power with macbeth, same with the witches.

Overall nice paper tho!! Yeats came up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I used macduff aswell

If you argued your point of view well thats what matters. If you said that Macbeth and the doctor or the maid had a struggle for power and you can back it up then youll get 100%, it just matters that you prove your point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I was a bit confused over the Macbeth question. I talked about the ladymacbeth was the most powerful at the start, yet over time he became the dominant figure. Is this correct to write about?
    I hope so because I did the exact same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Anyone else do that bitch of a question on Cultural Context? The 70 marker? Ugh, so vague...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

For the relationship question I wrote on his relationship with the witches Duncan and lady Macbeth is that okay or did I screw up?:/

Those are perfect, but it only asked for two. Or was it at least two? It's perfect if it didn't specify just two.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

lads the macbeth question was about power struggle, you were best off doing banquo and duncan...lady macbeth and the witches was abstracting the question. Like I know they'll accept it but I read it as the power struggle as in "power" like the lust for kingship if you get me?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jazz101 wrote: »
    Those are perfect, but it only asked for two. Or was it at least two? It's perfect if it didn't specify just two.

At least 2.

It was at least two. I was ****tíng bricks thinking it was just two, so I checked there now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

only realised half way that the gv&v question said impact on you and had to hastily replace every mention of the word reader with me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Did the a+b part of cultural context which I thought was as nice as it could have been. Our teacher always adviced us to do the 30 and 40 marker though so I would have opted for that even if the 70 marker looked appealing. Our teacher told us it's easier to lose marks on a 70 or it's not as bad if you lose marks on the 30/40 .. Something like that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevink7501

I tied a bit of kingship into the Macbeth question talking about his relationship with Duncan Edward and Malcolm is that ok :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I did the struggle for power between Macbeth and Banquo and Macbeth and Duncan. I would have loved to have written about LAdy macbeth I know her so well but I couldnt really see how she was struglling for power with macbeth, same with the witches.

Overall nice paper tho!! Yeats came up:D

I said that her and Macbeth were struggling for power in the relationship, like being the dominant figure, and talked about how she manipulated him which impacted on the outcome of the story significantly, but then the dynamic changed and she became marginalised and Macbeth became the dominant figure
    And then I did Macbeth and Banquo and said how Banquo and he had a power stuggle because Banquo had the power to usurp him and eventually caused macbeths downfall, and Macbeth felt Banquo threatened his power because of the witches prophecies

I wanted to talk about Macduff too but ran out of time :(

Advertisement