Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Why o why o why would anyone get one of those tattoos. May as well get a tattoo of what Tunney is holding in his hand (see the selfie he posted earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ray o wrote: »
    Why o why o why would anyone get one of those tattoos. May as well get a tattoo of what Tunney is holding in his hand (see the selfie he posted earlier)

What can I say your wife is into dogging and that's where she wanted to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Mallorca is 230 euro for early entry, 280 after that. So that'll be 500 for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Folks,

I'm interested in doing the half iron man next year, only problem is that I cant swim! I've a good level of fitness at the moment could do the bike and run no problem, do you reckon it's even realistic to think about trying to learn to swim and compete in this between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Folks,

I'm interested in doing the half iron man next year, only problem is that I cant swim! I've a good level of fitness at the moment could do the bike and run no problem, do you reckon it's even realistic to think about trying to learn to swim and compete in this between now and then?

Absolutely!! You can go from zero swimming to this distance easily within a year. One bit of advice, get some lessons / pointers early on, building up to this distance with good form is easier than doing so with bad technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Folks,

Enter a sprint race in September and aim to complete that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Thanks lads

Didnt see it posted here already but pre-register link is up...

https://ironmaneurope.wufoo.eu/forms/ironman-703-dublin-ireland-a-preregistration/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Folks,

+1 on getting lessons. You've also got to spend some serious time in the open water. A lot of plans recommend you 'get used to being in open water' about 2 or 3 weeks out which explains why I tanked my first sprint race a couple of weeks ago. It's a whole different ball game from the pool. Learned to swim less than two years ago myself and am very competent in the pool so overall I would go for it. You have plenty of time if you commit to training

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thanks lads

Didnt see it posted here already but pre-register link is up...

https://ironmaneurope.wufoo.eu/forms/ironman-703-dublin-ireland-a-preregistration/

Tbh honest I think that pre-register is just a way for them to get your email and a list to pass on.

The actual registration will probably the fastest online like the rest of their races.

€250 is pricey. Are they worth the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

iwillhtfu wrote: »

We will see when they announce the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

On the lessons - is it best to get 1on1?
    I'm in the same boat but started learning from you tube and can now swim and bi lateral breathing and all but keep running out of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For some reason I am very suspicious of that 'Ironman' registration website - is it even connected to the Ironman organisation or is it a phishing link? Just seems very shoddy for something allegedly associated with a top brand like IM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Tbh honest I think that pre-register is just a way for them to get your email and a list to pass on.

The actual registration will probably the fastest online like the rest of their races.

I wouldn't worry if past experience is anything to go by. Galway 70.3 took ages to fill up.

Be careful though there was an incentive pricing introduced in Galway 2012 which meant people who entered late got a discount which early entrant missed, I think it was a refer a friend type thing.

Last Galway was working out €260 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

200 000 people a year seem to think its worth it...
    I think the fair answer is if you want the razzmataz like the 200 000 that do ironman races every year there is not better than Ironman apart from very few other races.
    If you prefer a minimalist race with a smaller field than this race might not be for you.
    Bit like shopping at Donnybrook fare vs Aldi ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »

Think you're mixing your metaphors up Peter.

Have you seen how many people shop at cut price ALDI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think the fair answer is if you want the razzmataz like the 200 000 that do ironman races every year there is not better than Ironman apart from very few other races.
    If you prefer a minimalist race with a smaller field than this race might not be for you.

I see your point alright.

Ironman seems to be the pinnacle (perhaps misguided) The non conformist in me says go for shadow man/outlaw or a similar event perhaps a challenge event.

As above I guess we'll wait and see what they throw out for the course. Any ideas on number of entrants.

Btw I shop in aldi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Got an update from their Facebook page today to say that 2,900 people have pre-registered to indicate an interest in getting more details on the event.

I think regardless of the course, the IM brand is going to be a strong enough pull to ensure that it sells out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Got an update from their Facebook page today to say that 2,900 people have pre-registered to indicate an interest in getting more details on the event.

Me think
    Pre-registered # Entry Fee
    <3000 €200
    <4000 €210
    <5000 €220
    <10000 €250
    etc....

That's what pre-registration is about, isn't it? commonly used by developers in the 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

AKW wrote: »
    Think you're mixing your metaphors up Peter.

Have you seen how many people shop at cut price ALDI ?

yes i know the market share of Aldi in Ireland, but thats beside the point i think

both sell food
    Aldi ( like ti santioned races) does what it does very well.
    And so does donneybrook fare (ironman).
    But it is a different experience.
    BUT shopping at aldi dosnt mean you cant shop at donnybrook fare.
    but one is more your stable and the other one to treat yourself a bit.
    Nobody needs to shop in donnybrook fare but people like it.

But you are right maybe I should say Ironman is Mercedes ( fitting since mercedes is a car sponsor for an Ironman race ) and most Irish triathlons are a VW golf . both do the same they get you from a to c.
    one more in style than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭scolari-ire

So registration will be quick then, is this going to be like a concert selling out or will we have time to register once we get the notification?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I raced Lough Cutra half iron distance two weeks ago.

Not an 'Aldi' event at all. Fantastic, professionally run race.

I've done the Lost Sheep half iron too and again, an excellent well run race.

I see no reason why ironman branded races are so expensive. That extra money being charged is just pure profit for the organisers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

So registration will be quick then, is this going to be like a concert selling out or will we have time to register once we get the notification?

i wouldn't judge how quick this will sell out basd on the number of pre-registrants. There will be a fair number who'll sign up thinking it would be a great long term goal, have never done a tri, and won;t pull the trigger when they have to slap down the cash. I think it was mentioned the last one in galway took a while to sell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭scolari-ire

mossym wrote: »
    i wouldn't judge how quick this will sell out basd on the number of pre-registrants. There will be a fair number who'll sign up thinking it would be a great long term goal, have never done a tri, and won;t pull the trigger when they have to slap down the cash. I think it was mentioned the last one in galway took a while to sell out

Cool, id hate to have to change my training up for a long distance race like this then miss out on registration.

Triangla wrote: »

I see no reason why ironman branded races are so expensive. That extra money being charged is just pure profit for the organisers.

Have you done a continental IM or half IM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Triangla wrote: »

This topic has been done to death.

Pro's of paying a premium entrance fee for a IM or Challenge event:

- Closed roads
    - Much better support
    - Better aid stations
    - More of event feel and atmosphere
    - Live timing for IM events now online
    - Opportunity to race Pro's on same course at same time
    - More competition/attraction
    - Opportunity to race for top AG slots and qualify for world champs in that distance (granted still have to pay an entry fee once qualified but not everyone can do it).

Until you've done one, you won't experience the buzz of such a big event, support, racing on closed roads and much better hype overall.

Not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Fazz wrote: »

- Closed roads
    - Much better support
    - Better aid stations
    - More of event feel and atmosphere
    - Live timing for IM events now online
    - Opportunity to race Pro's on same course at same time
    - More competition/attraction
    - Opportunity to race for top AG slots and qualify for world champs in that distance (granted still have to pay an entry fee once qualified but not everyone can do it).

Until you've done one, you won't experience the buzz of such a big event, support, racing on closed roads and much better hype overall.

Not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Agreed.

I was getting race updates on everyone from Mrs Bambaata, which was good but its no online tracking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Fazz wrote: »

not just the big brands, the smaller race i did abroad last year offered many of the same features, it's a different experience when you get to race like this, and i imagine the IM and challenge take this on another level.

I've more respect for the Irish clubs that run superb races on shoestring budgets and with people donating their own time. but that doesn't mean they are the same racing as these big races, and comparing entry fees between the two is just not fair. the buzz around these races is huge, it's not few hours event, it's a 3 day party revolving around a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

There is also the issue of this being an IM-in-Ireland.

Personally, I'm happy to pay the €€€ to do a full IM* abroad, but would think twice about paying that much to do it in Ireland.

No real logic behind it, but I suspect I'm not alone.

* However, I find it really hard to justify paying anything close to the quoted rates for HIM/70.3 anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Izoard wrote: »
    There is also the issue of this being an IM-in-Ireland.

Personally, I'm happy to pay the €€€ to do a full IM* abroad, but would think twice about paying that much to do it in Ireland.

No real logic behind it, but I suspect I'm not alone.

* However, I find it really hard to justify paying anything close to the quoted rates for HIM/70.3 anywhere.
    Yeah I thought €150 or so was too much for Lough Cultra this year, went with Athy instead.

Paid €520 for IM Austria this year, when ya add on all the extras it'll come to bout €2k for a weekend, definitely a once-off. Happier to spend it to get a better chance of nice weather and nicer road surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

yes i know the market share of Aldi in Ireland, but thats beside the point i think

But you are right maybe I should say Ironman is Mercedes ( fitting since mercedes is a car sponsor for an Ironman race ) and most Irish triathlons are a VW golf . both do the same they get you from a to c.
    one more in style than the other.

I find it easier to fir the TT Bike in the Golf! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement