Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brewery site plans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The northern ring road completion doesn't take care of the north/south divide in kilkenny population. People wont drive the ring road to access a site in the center of kilkenny. They will use the most direct route. From what I can see all the northern ring road completion will do is act as a by pass of the town. Doesnt do anything for the existing river crossings.

But hey its not in my backyard so my unbiased view isnt going to change many opinions here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

godtabh wrote: »
    Read the EIS with an unbiased viewpoint. I have. My professional view point is that Johns Bridge and Greens Bridge can not accommodate any new car journeys. Car journeys can be reduced but never eliminated. Therefore any development of the site can not be accommodated without alternative river crossings. Its simple really

I've just read the EIS again and yes it is in favour for the CAS. Any idea who prepared this report. Kilkenny County Council reports have been found to be a a very low quality lately.

The northern ring road completion doesn't take care of the north/south divide in kilkenny population. People wont drive the ring road to access a site in the center of kilkenny. They will use the most direct route. From what I can see all the northern ring road completion will do is act as a by pass of the town. Doesnt do anything for the existing river crossings.

I suppose that is what us, the anti CAS people want to see. We want to see people using the ring road better to access different parts of the city. To alleviate traffic in the centre and the bridges.

If the ring road was completed, is there anyway to encourage people to use it rather than going cross town.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

kikel wrote: »
    I suppose that is what us, the anti CAS people want to see. We want to see people using the ring road better to access different parts of the city. To alleviate traffic in the centre and the bridges.

If the ring road was completed, is there anyway to encourage people to use it rather than going cross town.

lower speed limit to 30kmph in the city centre and or use of speed bumps to discourage those looking to use it as a short cut.

lower speed limit to 30kmph in the city centre and or use of speed bumps to discourage those looking to use it as a short cut.

I agree with your comments but I'm shooting myself in the foot here. The speed limit in city centre is not even 30kph at the moment.

If the CAS was scrapped today. That's it, no further discussion on it. What alternative plans\bright ideas could be implemented to move Kilkenny forward as a city. Yes the Ring road completion would be one of them, but what else? Open to clever, weird and wonderful ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've just read the EIS again and yes it is in favour for the CAS. Any idea who prepared this report. Kilkenny County Council reports have been found to be a a very low quality lately.

Kilkenny Co Co didnt write the report. Malone O'Regan/Scott Wilson did. Its been reviewed by ABP and updated accordingly.

What reports have been found to be poor quality and by who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If the brief was what's best for cars over pedestrians and cyclists then in my professional opinion I can see how CAS would appeal.

However following that logic would see with the carmagedon evident elsewhere and all the health problems that that sedentary lifestyle promotes.

Kilkenny Co Co didnt write the report. Malone O'Regan/Scott Wilson did. Its been reviewed by ABP and updated accordingly.

What reports have been found to be poor quality and by who?

Here is An Tasices press relaease.

http://www.antaisce.org/articles/overwhelming-case-confirm-national-monument-vicar-st-%E2%80%93-taisce

Here is the Press release from Kilkenny County council after a archaeology report by Valerie J Keeley Ltd.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Publications/Public_Notices/CAS-Reports-Press-Release-April-17th-2014.docx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

But hey its not in my backyard so my unbiased view isnt going to change many opinions here.

Some people don't want to enter the city, it must a nightmare to get to Thurles in a HGV from the ring road, options are Greensbridge, narrow road beween Ballyragget road and Freshford road or George's Tree to Freshford.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Some people don't want to enter the city, it must a nightmare to get to Thurles in a HGV from the ring road, options are Greensbridge, narrow road beween Ballyragget road and Freshford road or George's Tree to Freshford.

Yes that's a major issue, Greensbridge is choked up with traffic that's going somewhere else. Think of anybody from east of Kilkenny going to Thurles or Cork, or people from Carlow trying to get to St Luke's hospital. Those people don't want to go anywhere near the city, they want to bypass it. Finish the Ring Road first and this will allow us to get a much clearer picture of Kilkenny's traffic management needs, because almost all the through traffic will be taken out of the picture. What's the sense in bringing traffic into the city that doesn't either want or need to be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I agree with your comments but I'm shooting myself in the foot here. The speed limit in city centre is not even 30kph at the moment.

If the CAS was scrapped today. That's it, no further discussion on it. What alternative plans\bright ideas could be implemented to move Kilkenny forward as a city. Yes the Ring road completion would be one of them, but what else? Open to clever, weird and wonderful ideas.
    Errr, the city centre has been a 30km/h speed zone since 2010.
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws/Road_Traffic_Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws_2010.html
    Yes that's a major issue, Greensbridge is choked up with traffic that's going somewhere else. Think of anybody from east of Kilkenny going to Thurles or Cork, or people from Carlow trying to get to St Luke's hospital. Those people don't want to go anywhere near the city, they want to bypass it. Finish the Ring Road first and this will allow us to get a much clearer picture of Kilkenny's traffic management needs, because almost all the through traffic will be taken out of the picture. What's the sense in bringing traffic into the city that doesn't either want or need to be there?
    Agree wholeheartedly, getting to the Freshford road can be a pain sometimes during busy periods. It would be much better if you could take the ringroad.

It'll be interesting to see what actually transpires with the brewery site, financial services is a rather broad description.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Errr, the city centre has been a 30km/h speed zone since 2010.

Didn't know that.

What i was trying to say was that most traffic does not even get to 30kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Workshops to be held on the 23rd and 24th of January for anyone who wants to contribute ideas to the development of the brewery site, you need to register by the 19th of January.

http://ourplan.kilkenny.ie/brewery-site

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/second-brewery-site-plan-event-due-to-demand-1-6497452

Any word on those 500 jobs that Joe Crockett was on about or was that just a load of rubbish to push through the CAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The old mart is going to be turned into a 8/9 multiplex cinema with lots of parking.
    they will move from the current cinema to the new cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone got up to date status of this? I assume Diageo are decommissioning the old brewery now? Be good to see movement on this...

Masterplan3DView1.jpg
    Masterplan3DView4.jpg
    Masterplan3DView5.jpg
    Masterplan3DView7.jpg
    Masterplan3DView8.jpg
    Masterplan3DView3.jpgMasterplan3DView2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

And not a car in sight, is that a multi storey car park I see among the buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I feel really inspired by the pictures of what might be, do they really enhance our city? Do we want offices, honestly a city of our status needs a University, a sort of Oxford and Cambridge style centre of learning, can you hear it in years to come, "Oh yes of course I went to Kilkenny University".
    Despite the computer age learning is still essential, just think of the jobs accommodation, food, cleaning, medical etc, I suppose we could build one of those old fashioned folly's so popular years ago, you have guessed Crocketts Folly, in fact the whole area could be called that so no one can forget the legacy left. Foxy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm not too worried if it's offices, we have colleges in Carlow and Waterford. If offices bring money then Happy days, the coffee shops and pubs in that area really could do with the boost.

• Advertisement

I think it looks great, very contemporary. Let's hope it proceeds fairly quick to development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It doesn't look the best

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'd be pretty enthused by these pictures to be honest.

Once there's a decent mix of business, culture and heritage and it doesn't become a glorified business park, then I think we'll have a multi purpose, varied, part of the city to be proud of. It's very exciting to think of the potential of it. I really hope they get this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

there might well be colleges in Carlow and Waterford so why not Kilkenny, education is the life blood of society. Perhaps a philanthropist say Phil Hogan could donate money, can just see it, The Hogan university of skulduggery, no not what I meant, of Life Sciences and another swim pool and gym centre, in honour of the person donating we could say the Water under the bridge uni and a statue of crockett for the dogs.

For a development of this size they really need to have more details about transport for it and the city at large. An in depth look at smarter travel is urgently needed in Kilkenny.

For a development of this size they really need to have more details about transport for it and the city at large. An in depth look at smarter travel is urgently needed in Kilkenny.

Lol

Lol

Bike lane kilkenny

It's grand talk about "Smarter travel" and all these buzz words the Council love, but Kilkenny city has zero public transport and is hugely car dependant. Only so much cycling/walking people can do. The so-called cycle lanes are just appendages to already very congested and narrow roads.

road_high wrote: »
    It's grand talk about "Smarter travel" and all these buzz words the Council love, but Kilkenny city has zero public transport and is hugely car dependant. Only so much cycling/walking people can do. The so-called cycle lanes are just appendages to already very congested and narrow roads.

Any ideas how Kilkenny could become less car dependant? Is it pie in the sky stuff that we could change?

• Advertisement

Any ideas how Kilkenny could become less car dependant? Is it pie in the sky stuff that we could change?

Have no idea! I thought the walking to school thing I've seen was a good idea where groups of kids gather at a stop and walk to school together. Biggest problem I see in Kilkenny is so many kids being dropped to schools, even in glorious weather. Also would help on the obesity front.

Advertisement