Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy Football 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Mark Ingram against the Falcons or Alfred Morris against the Texans?

You presumably spent a 2nd round pick on Morris, it's an absolute no brainer for now. Don't try to overthink your selections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

How late can you join a league??

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

114 points from week one with a team that was essentially described as a floater by NFL....
    That'll show em

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The Texans D saved my bacon yesterday. Superb performance from them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Forgot to sub out Newton yesterday until it was too late. Now left with Palmer on the bench, very frustrating. Looks like I may have lost the game either way but very annoying nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Quick question:

My waiver position is 12.

I dropped a player and added another player. But that won't kick in until i get my turn, ie. the 11 others waiver and pick up players?

Is the player i wanted to pick up locked to me or can 1-11 pick him up ahead of me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

BKWDR wrote: »
    Quick question:

My waiver position is 12.

I dropped a player and added another player. But that won't kick in until i get my turn, ie. the 11 others waiver and pick up players?

Is the player i wanted to pick up locked to me or can 1-11 pick him up ahead of me?

1-11 can pick him up as they have first dibs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Say a prayer for the moron who drafter Zac Stacey and Doug Martin from an 8-man league.... :(

Question: (full of em)

This season i want to start using the waiver properly. Just getting to grips on the different aspects of FF

Is there any rhyme or reason to who you try pick up and waive? Just watching who's been dropped and picking them up?

What should i be looking at so close to the start here? I was *about* to drop and pick up a better kicker but then Im thinking in DRAFT terms and that to just leave the kicker be and see what else is available to provide depth.

Any comments or suggestions please.

(as always I truly am looking at getting more knowledge not the upper hand on or in any league)

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Question: (full of em)

This season i want to start using the waiver properly. Just getting to grips on the different aspects of FF

Is there any rhyme or reason to who you try pick up and waive? Just watching who's been dropped and picking them up?

What should i be looking at so close to the start here? I was *about* to drop and pick up a better kicker but then Im thinking in DRAFT terms and that to just leave the kicker be and see what else is available to provide depth.

Any comments or suggestions please.

(as always I truly am looking at getting more knowledge not the upper hand on or in any league)

There are two ways you can change your squad, waiver wire and free agency.
    The waiver wire deadline is Wednesday or Thursday (can't remember which), you would try to pick up players that are going to be valuable but weren't drafted ie breakout rookies, unheralded players having a big impact, reserve players who are now first choice due to injuries etc. The obvious players to drop are any long term injured players plus your last few picks who are struggling to have an impact.

Any player not selected by a team during the waiver period enters free agency, you can pick these players up before the start of play without affecting your waiver priority - this is key. In your case, kickers are always plentiful so imo it would be a waste for you to use the wire to take a kicker, simply wait until they enter free agency.

• Advertisement

radharc wrote: »

Any player not selected by a team during the waiver period enters free agency, you can pick these players up before the start of play without affecting your waiver priority - this is key. In your case, kickers are always plentiful so imo it would be a waste for you to use the wire to take a kicker, simply wait until they enter free agency.

Great, i was mixing up FA and waiver.

OK so, i want to drop my kicker and pick up a FA kicker. Under players there are none listed as FA's though? Is there a short window to pick up FA's?

To avail of the Free Agent do i first have to DROP a player and then add a FA? Is there a time of cooling off?

Many thanks for your help

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is a waiver period where players are picked up based on your waiver priority. After that, usually around Wednesday or Thursday any players not picked up will be free agents and can be picked up on a first come first served basis.

You will need to drop a player to make room for the guy you are picking up as you only have so many roster spots.

Not sure what you mean by cooling off but as soon as you drop a player he has to go through waivers so you can't just pick him back up if you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Great, i was mixing up FA and waiver.

OK so, i want to drop my kicker and pick up a FA kicker. Under players there are none listed as FA's though? Is there a short window to pick up FA's?

To avail of the Free Agent do i first have to DROP a player and then add a FA? Is there a time of cooling off?

Many thanks for your help

At the moment everyone is on waivers until the waiver run which i think is wednesday. After that waiver run, everyone is a FA until the kick off of their own game. Thats your window to pick up a FA kicker. You can drop the player the same time as adding him, it will give you the option of who to drop.

adrian522 wrote: »
    There is a waiver period where players are picked up based on your waiver priority. After that, usually around Wednesday or Thursday any players not picked up will be free agents and can be picked up on a first come first served basis.

You will need to drop a player to make room for the guy you are picking up as you only have so many roster spots.

Not sure what you mean by cooling off but as soon as you drop a player he has to go through waivers so you can't just pick him back up if you change your mind.

At the moment everyone is on waivers until the waiver run which i think is wednesday. After that waiver run, everyone is a FA until the kick off of their own game. Thats your window to pick up a FA kicker. You can drop the player the same time as adding him, it will give you the option of who to drop.

Ah ok that's brilliant!
    So in effect there will be a flurry of activity on a Wednesday / Thursday before kick off of dropping and picking up FA's then from kick off on Thursday night, you are locked into your team until your waiver turn comes up or the following Wednesday / Thursday when you can pick up FA's

Brilliant! Are you limited in the number of players you can drop / pick up on FA ? I know each team has an undroppable player.

Next week...im going to look at Trades haha

Haha now that im fully looking at it, this is going to take over more of my life than i thought it would...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Haha now that im fully looking at it, this is going to take over more of my life than i thought it would...

You've no idea!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Ah ok that's brilliant!
    So in effect there will be a flurry of activity on a Wednesday / Thursday before kick off of dropping and picking up FA's then from kick off on Thursday night, you are locked into your team until your waiver turn comes up or the following Wednesday / Thursday when you can pick up FA's

You can pick up FAs right up until the monday night game. Only if they havent played yet. So if you want a guy playing thursday night you have to pick him up before he plays. Sunday players you can pick up right up until they kick off their games whether it be the 6pm or 9pm kick off and monday night players you can pick up on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

There is quite a bit of complexity in it allright.

Waiver priority is key. It is set randomly (or based on draft order) at the start of the season and then depending on the settings is reset each week, either using league position (ie best team in the league gets last priority) or through prior waiver activity (ie if you get a waiver through this week you are put to the end of the priority list). Boards uses the second option for its leagues.

If two players pick the same player, the one with the lower priority gets the player.

You don't want to waste a good (ie low) priority - for example you have priority 4. You pick 4 potential waiver targets. The first 3 are taken by the teams ahead of you, so you get your 4th choice target which may or may not be worth losing your priority. If you had waited and the three teams ahead of you take a player you are top priority the following week and guaranteed to get the player you want.

I think I'll do my thesis on the intricacies of optimal waiver wire strategy!

That's a great help lads, appreciate it!

(may be more q's to come! )

Anyone taking a punt on Gordon or Welker ahead of this drug policy ruling?

I've the No. 1 spot on waivers so I'm thinking of taking Gordon. Nobody else around the wire that really interests me.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »

I've the No. 1 spot on waivers so I'm thinking of taking Gordon. Nobody else around the wire that really interests me.

Someone in Div 6 picked Gordon up, crafty begger!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Picked him up as fa on sat or fri. Have him on waivers out pending todays vote and whether or not it will affect pre existing suspensions

Can't decide if I want to sacrifice a decent backup option to take Welker...

My lineup for Week 2 looks like this:

QB - Russell Wilson
    RB - Doug Martin
    RB - Frank Gore
    WR - Anotnio Brown
    WR - Victor Cruz
    TE - Jason Witten
    FLEX - Jody Nelson
    D/ST - Bengals
    K - Steven Hauschka

Bench:
    Zac Stacey
    Bishop Sankey
    Philip Rivers
    Dwayne Bowe
    Knowshon Moreno
    Saints D
    Jeremy Maclin

Both Josh Gordon and Wes Welker are available on the WW - I've already submitted to take Gordon (#1 priority) Welker (#2), for the Saints D.

In the off chance I secure Gordon and Welker is still available in round 2, would there be anyone worth dropping to secure him?

I'm going to give Stacey and Martin another week to see how their respective running games pan out. Assuming the rest of my starters are keepers. The stand out to me is Sankey, but he is tipped to take over the #1 RB spot in Tennessee at some stage, it'd be a shame to miss out on that. WOuld you have Welker ahead of Maclin and Bowe? Maybe the former?

Ugh... 8 team leagues present a whole new world of pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

picked up Gordon in 4 of my 5 leagues, including Div 3. He'll be reinstated, I've no doubt at this stage.

Picked him up in one league, traded him for Gronk, already had Graham on my roster so traded Gronk and Andre Johnson for Jamaal Charles. I'm pretty happy with that piece of business.

Can't decide if I want to sacrifice a decent backup option to take Welker...

My lineup for Week 2 looks like this:

QB - Russell Wilson
    RB - Doug Martin
    RB - Frank Gore
    WR - Anotnio Brown
    WR - Victor Cruz
    TE - Jason Witten
    FLEX - Jody Nelson
    D/ST - Bengals
    K - Steven Hauschka

Bench:
    Zac Stacey
    Bishop Sankey
    Philip Rivers
    Dwayne Bowe
    Knowshon Moreno
    Saints D
    Jeremy Maclin

Both Josh Gordon and Wes Welker are available on the WW - I've already submitted to take Gordon (#1 priority) Welker (#2), for the Saints D.

In the off chance I secure Gordon and Welker is still available in round 2, would there be anyone worth dropping to secure him?

I'm going to give Stacey and Martin another week to see how their respective running games pan out. Assuming the rest of my starters are keepers. The stand out to me is Sankey, but he is tipped to take over the #1 RB spot in Tennessee at some stage, it'd be a shame to miss out on that. WOuld you have Welker ahead of Maclin and Bowe? Maybe the former?

Ugh... 8 team leagues present a whole new world of pain :(

is this an 8 team league? Why do you have a backup qb and D if so?

is this an 8 team league? Why do you have a backup qb and D if so?

Aye, just thought they were the best picks at the time (late rounders).

I dropped $12 of a $100 budget on Welker on Sunday, think he is likely the best player likely to be on waivers this year. Gordon already picked up in all my leagues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Gordon is gone in pretty much all my leagues too. I think a lot of people suspected he wouldn't be out the entire season.

Aye, just thought they were the best picks at the time (late rounders).

drop them so! the best late round picks are flyers not extra dsts or kickers.

plus the saints d is hopeless.
    robsmack.0.0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

Gordon is gone in pretty much all my leagues too. I think a lot of people suspected he wouldn't be out the entire season.

Yeah, it is looking more and more likely that he will play.

Advertisement