Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

walshb wrote: »
    How comparable or effective is running threadmill over 5-6 k compared to the road? Same pace and incline on both?

You're not really going to be able to compare them, there's too many variables (hardness of surface, wind outside, indoor temperature, threadmill calibration to name a handful). Compare by heartrate and/or effort "feel", but the treadmill is not a substitute, it's a supplement. Better than, say, cycling

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

How comparable or effective is running threadmill over 5-6 k compared to the road? Same pace and incline on both?

Normal rule of thumb is to set the treadmill at 1 - 1.5% incline, this balances the lack of wind resistance that you will get outside.

Maybe it's a mental thing (or a calibration thing), but I always feel like I'm working harder on the treadmill at the same pace.

I've recently started wearing the Fenix2 and run-hrm when I'm on the treadmill and it's giving me a Garmin calculated pace of about 15 secs per mile faster than the treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Normal rule of thumb is to set the treadmill at 1 - 1.5% incline, this balances the lack of wind resistance that you will get outside.

Maybe it's a mental thing (or a calibration thing), but I always feel like I'm working harder on the treadmill at the same pace.

I've recently started wearing the Fenix2 and run-hrm when I'm on the treadmill and it's giving me a Garmin calculated pace of about 15 secs per mile faster than the treadmill.

I am the opposite. Feels to me that the threadmill is much easier. I hope I am not fooled come race time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

I find them fairly comparable, with the treadmill feeling perhaps a little harder but as someone suggested that could be more of a mental/boredom thing.

A lot of people suggest that running on a treadmill is no preparation for running on the road but when I did my first Half-Marathon, about 99% of my prep was done on a treadmill and I found the transition to the road was no problem at all.

An_Reathai wrote: »
    I find them fairly comparable, with the treadmill feeling perhaps a little harder but as someone suggested that could be more of a mental/boredom thing.

A lot of people suggest that running on a treadmill is no preparation for running on the road but when I did my first Half-Marathon, about 99% of my prep was done on a treadmill and I found the transition to the road was no problem at all.

But surely the added condition that you have to propel your body forwards on the road or track makes the road that bit more strenuous/tough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sarkakos

some things are ver curious! i agree

But surely the added condition that you have to propel your body forwards on the road or track makes the road that bit more strenuous/tough?

I personally wouldn't like to do all my training on a treadmill - unless I was training for a treadmill race ;).
    But I do find it good balance, I have one at home and use it for early morning easy runs in the winter, when I just roll out of bed and stick on a T and shorts and don't worry about what's happening outside. Have also used for the odd session when conditions (icy, too windy or travelling) would have an impact on the quality of a session.
    I do find it comparable HR wise, so it is giving a very similar cardio workout, but obviously you benefit from training specifics, including surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Random running question: Why do people insist on using the word threadmill?
    Have they any idea how ludicrous it sounds?

Obligatory smiley face -> :)

Obligatory smiley face -> :)

Isn't that what Boards is?

"Sounds" or "looks"? Because "sounds" will depend on where in Ireland you are. They might be spelling it wrong in their head, but unintentionally pronouncing it correctly :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

All I can say is that I didn't find it any tougher. I always put the treadmill to 1-1.5% incline and off I went.

Having said that, as soon as I actually started running on the road, I left the treadmill behind and only ever use it now as a last resort as the treadmill is so monotonous.

28064212 wrote: »
    "Sounds" or "looks"? Because "sounds" will depend on where in Ireland you are. They might be spelling it wrong in their head, but unintentionally pronouncing it correctly :)

I couldn't have explained that better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs

One of my favourite sketches

I couldn't have explained that better.
    Huh? :confused: I reckon 28064212 was making a joke about regional dialects. C'mon - we're all grown-ups here. The word doesn't include the letter 'h', and when spoken, shouldn't include the 'th' sound. [tred-mil].

Huh? :confused: I reckon 28064212 was making a joke about regional dialects. C'mon - we're all grown-ups here. The word doesn't include the letter 'h', and when spoken, shouldn't include the 'th' sound. [tred-mil].

Treadmill. Happy now. Jeez, relax!

BTW, I'm a divil for the 'th' pronouncing even when it's not there. Mystery solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anybody know if the Munster Masters Cross Country is over 35s up or over 40s up?

The form on Munster Athletics website has over 35s. However, our county championship in Limerick this year had the Masters at over 40s.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anybody know if the Munster Masters Cross Country is over 35s up or over 40s up?

The form on Munster Athletics website has over 35s. However, our county championship in Limerick this year had the Masters at over 40s.

Can only speak from Wicklow / Leinster in that the individuals start at O35 and the teams are split into O35+ and O50+.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Can only speak from Wicklow / Leinster in that the individuals start at O35 and the teams are split into O35+ and O50+.

Cheers for that. Think it may be only a Limerick thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Think it may be only a Limerick thing.

The lead in Masters ageing is taken from the world governing body. The IAAF have yo yoed between 35 and 40 as the entry point for mens masters events over the last few years. They have settled, for the time being at least, on 35. Some races and areas are slower to adopt the latest ruling,but 35 it should be in all counties as thats the wy it is at national level.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The lead in Masters ageing is taken from the world governing body. The IAAF have yo yoed between 35 and 40 as the entry point for mens masters events over the last few years. They have settled, for the time being at least, on 35. Some races and areas are slower to adopt the latest ruling,but 35 it should be in all counties as thats the wy it is at national level.

Thanks.

Our county is ahead of IAAF rulings. It used to be over 35s and now its over 40s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Why is there a Saucony runner called "Saucony Kilkenny XC Spike"??? What/why/how Kilkenny????

Ososlo wrote: »
    Why is there a Saucony runner called "Saucony Kilkenny XC Spike"??? What/why/how Kilkenny????
    According to AKW:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057125587

Ososlo wrote: »

Let's not forget the Kinvara and the Omni (so named after the Omniplex cinema in Wexford).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://answers.saucony.com/answers/7515-en_us/product/4-109350/mens-kinvara-3-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recentq
    Why the name: 'Kinvara'?

It's a castle in Ireland. You're supposed to imagine yourself running through the Irish countryside with the rock fences and greenery...
    Errr the castle in the village of Kinvara is Dun Guaire, so Saucony arent even too sure themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What about the Virrata, then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

What about the Virrata, then? :confused:
    I believe virratta was the name of the captain of one of the Spanish armada ships lost off the west coast of ireland in 1588......

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Omni (so named after the Omniplex cinema in Wexford).

The rest of these sound a bit sketchy but this one is definitely true!!!

How accurate are the long jump measuring rules in the major tournaments? Is it down to humans to decide where the athlete lands? And, is it live? No chance for them to watch a video of the jump?

• Advertisement

How accurate are the long jump measuring rules in the major tournaments? Is it down to humans to decide where the athlete lands? And, is it live? No chance for them to watch a video of the jump?
    Why would they need to see a video? The sand records where the athlete lands. If the athlete manages to land on the sand softly enough to bounce without leaving a mark, they probably deserve the extra few feet

Advertisement