Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Usually dynamic stretching is better, especially before the main run
    And don't do the stretches with cold muscles, warm up with some jogging first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm inclined to think the same, but I've trouble with my calfs and the physio recommends stretching before, during and after running. I'm not convinced but I still do as I'm told.

Hmm.

Now, I'm neither a physio nor do I have any formal training regarding the human body whatsoever, but at the very least I'd get a second opinion before I started following such a recommendation.

That's just my personal opinion, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Whatever the issue, I very much doubt that lack of stretching is responsible for it. Just about every study I have come across over the last few years states that stretching does not improve injury risk, and quite a few state that it (static stretching that is) actually increases the rate of injury.

Oh really? Ive had people blabbering in my ear for months now about stretching and when I googled last night most stretch websites said to do it to avoid injury. Good to know it might not be my own fault!

Thanks for the referral and the info folks. ..I might bring my runners with me...maybe they could be part of the problem

Fingers crossed its fixed by Sat week.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I have finally admitted that I have too many running tops, both race tshirts and other singlets/tshirts. So I'm about to do a purge. Is there something more useful I can do with these than bring them to a charity shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I have finally admitted that I have too many running tops, both race tshirts and other singlets/tshirts. So I'm about to do a purge. Is there something more useful I can do with these than bring them to a charity shop?

When I have an excess of running t-shirts, I cut off the sleeves and discard. I cut full length down both sides of the now sleeveless T-shirt to create a front and back section. I then sew the panels together into a rectangular sack shape, approximately 120cm by 150cm in dimension when laid flat on the ground. Be creative with the colours here. A bit of additional thought about the overall pattern here is very worthwhile. Use a blade to make 6 evenly spaced incisions along the top edge of one side. Sew some thread around the edges of these openings for additional strength. On the opposite side, sew in some buttons to align with the holes already created.

Now you have yourself a new duvet. The wicking material of the running shirts is great for removing any excess sweat away from the body on those warm summer nights.

Either this or dump them in the clothes bins that you find round the back of most Tescos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Hmm.

Now, I'm neither a physio nor do I have any formal training regarding the human body whatsoever, but at the very least I'd get a second opinion before I started following such a recommendation.

That's just my personal opinion, though.

Your probably on the money have been to a couple of Physios and this is the first that advocated lots of stretching so going to go with it for a while and see how I get on, I'm willing to try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

just getting back into running and recently ran 31 minutes in the simon 5 mile. i live close to the park and feel i need a coach and trainer partners. anyone suggest the best club and times they meet at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

When I have an excess of running t-shirts, I cut off the sleeves and discard. I cut full length down both sides of the now sleeveless T-shirt to create a front and back section. I then sew the panels together into a rectangular sack shape, approximately 120cm by 150cm in dimension when laid flat on the ground. Be creative with the colours here. A bit of additional thought about the overall pattern here is very worthwhile. Use a blade to make 6 evenly spaced incisions along the top edge of one side. Sew some thread around the edges of these openings for additional strength. On the opposite side, sew in some buttons to align with the holes already created.

Now you have yourself a new duvet. The wicking material of the running shirts is great for removing any excess sweat away from the body on those warm summer nights.

Either this or dump them in the clothes bins that you find round the back of most Tescos.

I saw a relatively prosperous-looking woman openly raiding the clothes bins at Superquinn Knocklyon recently. Got pictures and all. So there may well be legions of Romanians swanning around Bucharest in Frank Duffy 10 miler tees of various primary colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

just getting back into running and recently ran 31 minutes in the simon 5 mile. i live close to the park and feel i need a coach and trainer partners. anyone suggest the best club and times they meet at
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I haven't used it, but I have the book and it looks like a good plan.
    cianc wrote: »
    I followed the marathon plan a couple of times. Nothing fancy, but it did the job, and I remember the book being very readable.

edit: the mileage looks a bit on the low side (15-20M), but you can always tweak that based on your current levels.
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    I did the intermediate plan for this year's mini marathon - I didn't manage to do every session, but I sort of followed it, and found it good. Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my back the day before the race and ended up finishing 90 secs off my pb, but before that happened I felt in OK 10k shape. I relaly like the book!

Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'll give it a go, it'll be my first time to do different types of training and it seems like a good introduction, nothing overly complex. Will probably tweak the mileage a bit alright to take advantage of the recent marathon training. I like the book, great to dip in and out of, was a present a while ago.

• Advertisement

Can you help me get my head together for next week? I have a 10k run that is massively important to me. It's only the Morun, but it will be a real marker of where I'm at a year later.

At the start of the FWMM I thought I was ready, had my head together and my plan, but I ended up getting there early and standing around for an hour before hand so my legs felt like lead for about the first 5k!

This time I'll be getting there early again because I have to collect my race number and chip. So I know to keep moving beforehand and loosen out me pins.

I have my plan, I know the route, I'm ready for the hill, I'm still hoping my foot will be sorted, but is there any other eventuality I'm not thinking of that effected you in your early stages that fecked up runs unexpectedly that you knew to watch out for next time? No matter how stupid or simple, given my FWMM story:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Can you help me get my head together for next week? I have a 10k run that is massively important to me. It's only the Morun, but it will be a real marker of where I'm at a year later.

At the start of the FWMM I thought I was ready, had my head together and my plan, but I ended up getting there early and standing around for an hour before hand so my legs felt like lead for about the first 5k!

This time I'll be getting there early again because I have to collect my race number and chip. So I know to keep moving beforehand and loosen out me pins.

I have my plan, I know the route, I'm ready for the hill, I'm still hoping my foot will be sorted, but is there any other eventuality I'm not thinking of that effected you in your early stages that fecked up runs unexpectedly that you knew to watch out for next time? No matter how stupid or simple, given my FWMM story:o

Relax. Stop overthinking on raceday. Standing around won't make your legs feel stiff. Start your warmup with some very light jogging 25 minutes before the race and create a routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Pre race ritual's tend to be fairly individualistic and will come with experience.

For me personally I find I need a long warm up so I am normally there about 60-90 min before a race and follow the same plan:

- Collect number and spend a bit of time at race collection point (normally bump into someone I know and spend a few minutes chatting or looking at course map)
    - 3 mile warm up (this is in relation to my usual warm up I would do for most training sessions)
    - Back to the car and start pinning my number to singlet/ attaching chip to shoes etc
    - Remove one layer (normally like an onion on race day) and proceed to do a few warm up drills/ stretching
    - Change into race gear and do a few strides which normally brings me right up to race start

*tip don't rush any part and stretch out time between if you don't want to be standing around

Again stuff like this will come with practice and you will find your own routine but I wouldn't go trying anything dramatically different on race day, training days are where to practice this sort of stuff.

Other than that try to remain relaxed and enjoy the day

Eek thats really it then...nothing more I can do. Had a lovely easy run today...I'll do another during the week and after that do what I would normally do before a run.

Thank you for the replies and the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I'm always exhausted as I don't sleep well at all. Can't doze off until 2/3am and always woken earlier than I need to, by the hustle and bustle of neighbours heading out, traffic etc.

My joints actually feel achy from the tiredness... but I'd still like to start running. Is it a bad idea to run when you're that tired, or does it matter?
    My diet is good (mostly veg/fruit/protein) and I drink lots of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm always exhausted as I don't sleep well at all. Can't doze off until 2/3am and always woken earlier than I need to, by the hustle and bustle of neighbours heading out, traffic etc.
    I would really sort this out before making a massive exercise regime change. If you're going to bed at 12-ish, and lying awake for 2-3 hours, that's something that really needs to be sorted out

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

My joints actually feel achy from the tiredness... but I'd still like to start running. Is it a bad idea to run when you're that tired, or does it matter?

It might do you the world of good Laura. Do you exercise or do sports of any type? A bit of swimming, jogging or whatever in the evening might help you sleep. I don't think runners generally have sleep issues.

If starting out jogging find a beginners' group, don't try to do it on your own.---

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

28064212 wrote: »
    I would really sort this out before making a massive exercise regime change. If you're going to bed at 12-ish, and lying awake for 2-3 hours, that's something that really needs to be sorted out

She should sort it out, yes, but taking up some light running will hardly do any more damage in the meantime. A couple of kms might be just the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

My joints actually feel achy from the tiredness...

A little exercise should hopefully help with your sleep problems, I suffer from a mild enough case of insomnia and since I started running & cycling around March, it's really improved. I'm getting about 6.5 or 7 hours sleep most nights whereas it used to be anywhere from 3 to 5. Don't overdo it at the start though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RoyMcC wrote: »
    If starting out jogging find a beginners' group, don't try to do it on your own.---
    Why should she not try to do it on her own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Similar sleep problems for me laura. I also would be a very light sleeper.
    A tip is to use ear plugs that motorcyclists use (get them in Halfords) as they're the only ones that work.
    Regarding running, you might find it helps your sleep improve. It did for me initially for about a year. Unfortunately my poor sleep has reverted back to my pre-running days but you should definitely try running. It certainly won't do you any harm and there are many other benefits and I can't see how it could do any harm whatsoever. .
    If starting out then a Couch to 5k programme would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Ososlo wrote: »
    Why should she not try to do it on her own?

Much easier, it's a suggestion not an order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Thanks so much all - you're very helpful! :)

The only exercise I do at the moment is walks (weather permitting); I'd like to do something more intense at this stage.

The sleep thing is something I don't know how I'll tackle. It's awful. I was always a light sleeper, but my sleep has become even lighter again in the past few months. Noisy tenants moving in downstairs is possibly the cause of it. I got their landlord to get them to quieten down (after a bit of a battle :rolleyes:) and they're much quieter now, thankfully, but the psychological side of it is still there. The fear of someone making noise keeping me awake. And when I do get to sleep, any little bit of noise wakes me now.
    I'm just hoping it'll correct itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

What is the difference between novice, intermediate and senior Cross Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

paddybarry wrote: »
    What is the difference between novice, intermediate and senior Cross Country?
    About 4 weeks. :)

Others would have more informed opinions, but I think it was originally intended as a mechanism to allow runners to move up the ranks. E.g. once you had podiumed at a particular level, you couldn't go back to that category for a number of years, creating opportunities for others to savour the taste of the pointy end of the race. In reality, it hasn't really worked out quite like that and in some counties (like Dublin) the novice can be more competitive than both intermediate and senior (though generally speaking, novice and senior tend to be the most competitive). Masters also tends to be a hard fought battle, with the grizzly campaign-scarred competitors not giving any quarter to the latest batch of newly-arrived pretenders to the throne...

All getting very Game of Thrones around here. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

About 4 weeks. :)

Others would have more informed opinions, but I think it was originally intended as a mechanism to allow runners to move up the ranks. E.g. once you had podiumed at a particular level, you couldn't go back to that category for a number of years, creating opportunities for others to savour the taste of the pointy end of the race. In reality, it hasn't really worked out quite like that and in some counties (like Dublin) the novice can be more competitive than both intermediate and senior (though generally speaking, novice and senior tend to be the most competitive). Masters also tends to be a hard fought battle, with the grizzly campaign-scarred competitors not giving any quarter to the latest batch of newly-arrived pretenders to the throne...

All getting very Game of Thrones around here. :confused:

Game of Throws, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s6P-gqWGXs

• Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How comparable or effective is running threadmill over 5-6 k compared to the road? Same pace and incline on both?

How to you measure the incline on the road throughout the 5-6k run?

How to you measure the incline on the road throughout the 5-6k run? Unless it's all on the flat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How to you measure the incline on the road throughout the 5-6k run? Unless it's all on the flat?

Roughly the same incline. Flat enough.

Advertisement