Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

how quickly does fitness erode? Haven't ran in two weeks :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

statss wrote: »
    how quickly does fitness erode? Haven't ran in two weeks :-(

You'll be fine. The losses over that short a period are minuscule. At most, you will be lacking a bit of sharpness which will come back after 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I haven't run in a month and won't run for at least another month. I'm expecting my fitness levels to have dropped waaaaay back. I'm walking, cycling and swimming to try and keep them up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I was off for about six weeks. I tried to keep a bit fit on the exercise bike, and cycling to work (slowly!) and with yoga and pilates but my fitness has gone through the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for the stitch advice everybody, next week Ill try eating the banana as I leave work at 17:00 and see if it makes a difference. Ill try the hands behind the head breathing aswell because it does often feel like if I could take an extra big few gulps of air the stitch would evaporate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Not looking for medical advice, more what to do next.

Rested for a week after the DCM, ran and noticed a sharp arthritic pain after 1km. Went to a recommended physio, and told it was a tight IT band, given a few stretches and sent on my way. I stretched and rested for two weeks as told. After two weeks, ran and pain was still there and worse.

For another two weeks I have stretched a little and have really taken it easy. Just back from a 1km very slow run and the pain is back again. :(

Worse could happen I suppose but I'm so disheartened it's getting me down being stuck indoors.

What should I do next? I'm unsure about going back to the same physio. Will another month relaxing fix it? Should I go for an MRI straight away? Maybe I need a highly recommended physio in the Limerick area. Any thoughts appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Rested for a week after the DCM, ran and noticed a sharp arthritic pain after 1km. Went to a recommended physio, and told it was a tight IT band, given a few stretches and sent on my way. I stretched and rested for two weeks as told. After two weeks, ran and pain was still there and worse.

For another two weeks I have stretched a little and have really taken it easy. Just back from a 1km very slow run and the pain is back again. :(

Worse could happen I suppose but I'm so disheartened it's getting me down being stuck indoors.

What should I do next? I'm unsure about going back to the same physio. Will another month relaxing fix it? Should I go for an MRI straight away? Maybe I need a highly recommended physio in the Limerick area. Any thoughts appreciated.

Sorry to hear that S:( That's really crap.
    I think you should get a recommendation for a really good physio in Limerick. If you don't get recommendations here put it up as a thread of its own on the main forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Where is the pain?

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Where is the pain?

Generally where the lower leg bone hinges inside the knee. Pain is sharp and relentless, fine when I stop. Pain only comes bending past a certain point but it's unavoidable. No swelling though. Feels arthritic really. Again only comes on after 6-7mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Generally where the lower leg bone hinges inside the knee. Pain is sharp and relentless, fine when I stop. Pain only comes bending past a certain point but it's unavoidable. No swelling though. Feels arthritic really. Again only comes on after 6-7mins.
    IT band issue. Happened to me after last years marathon. I was out for weeks. Foam rolling, stretching etc. What eventually worked was I stopped foam rolling and trying to stretch it. Just started on a walk/jog program. Basically I started with 1 min jog/ 1 min walk for about 20mins. I then started adding to the jogs until I got to the point I could feel the knee starting to hurt, I'd then walk for a couple of mins and then try jog again. took about 3 weeks until I could run continually. You just need patience and build slowly. If you want to see another physio get a recommendation from another runner. Not all physio's are experts for sports injuries.

• Advertisement

Tfl and glutes streches. Strengthen the glute med. The IT is highly resistant to stretching, it has enough tensile strength to hold up a car without snapping. The root cause is nearly always in under active or weak glute medius and an overactive tfl.

Thanks lads, something to work on before another Physio, cheers.

I know nothing about race organisation so forgive any ignorance displayed in advance.

However, should race marshals get paid to ensure they do the job professionally or is this just out of the question financially? With large established races like DCM it's never going to be a problem I guess but with smaller races run on quieter roads/paths where there is potential for someone to be sent the wrong way, should it be considered that all hands on board get paid? Yes errors could still happen but maybe it'd be a bit less likely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ososlo wrote: »
    I know nothing about race organisation so forgive any ignorance displayed in advance.

However, should race marshals get paid to ensure they do the job professionally or is this just out of the question financially? With large established races like DCM it's never going to be a problem I guess but with smaller races run on quieter roads/paths where there is potential for someone to be sent the wrong way, should it be considered that all hands on board get paid? Yes errors could still happen but maybe it'd be a bit less likely?
    it's not marshalls who fock up..it's race organisers....it's their fault soley for not organising and making sure the basics are right,too many race organisers fawning over groups and elites for foto opportunity so the can Fb how great they are..they can pay all the money they want for stalls at expos and promotions in magazines they want but if they Cant do the basics right they deserve all the abuse they get ..though ur gonna get the ahhh sure it was only a little mistake weren't the marsgalls great and didn't we get a nice bit of pudding at the end crowd who think nuthin of it ..while the organisers count the €€€€,.same race is on again in Feb and same heads will do it and think sure it great ..perfect club race on a few miles away and no crap ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

They do get paid in some commercial races, or at least they are getting money for their club. Most club races though are all club volunteers.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    it's not marshalls who fock up..it's race organisers....it's their fault soley for not organising and making sure the basics are right,too many race organisers fawning over groups and elites for foto opportunity so the can Fb how great they are..they can pay all the money they want for stalls at expos and promotions in magazines they want but if they Cant do the basics right they deserve all the abuse they get ..though ur gonna get the ahhh sure it was only a little mistake weren't the marsgalls great and didn't we get a nice bit of pudding at the end crowd who think nuthin of it ..while the organisers count the €€€€,.same race is on again in Feb and same heads will do it and think sure it great ..perfect club race on a few miles away and no crap ....

I agree with you and it's the reason I won't do Clontarf again. It amazed me at the end of the race the amount of participants who didn't care that it was long. They were just bowled over by the soup! I guess not enough people complain so they keep getting away with it.
    Interesting insight thanks.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    They do get paid in some commercial races, or at least they are getting money for their club. Most club races though are all club volunteers.

Didn't know that thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

pistol_75 wrote: »

I've marshalled at 3 races this year, two non club & one commercial. Was offered money at all 3 for my trouble, turned it down each time, each race was handsomely supported entrants wise & was superbly ran so i was lucky with my experiences. The two non club races were not commercial if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

tang1 wrote: »
    I've marshalled at 3 races this year, two non club & one commercial. Was offered money at all 3 for my trouble, turned it down each time, each race was handsomely supported entrants wise & was superbly ran so i was lucky with my experiences. The two non club races were not commercial if that makes sense.
    Will u take a tee shirt and a free bar in manzors,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Will u take a tee shirt and a free bar in manzors,.

Sold!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Marshalled this year at Samsung night run, rock roll half, and remembrance run, and marathon last year. Volunteers aren't paid directly but their club gets money for each volunteer. They are mostly from athletics clubs so runners themselves, and usually a few experienced in race stewarding. Very detailed race plans for the three in the city, diagrams of the junctions etc

If a race is run by a club, the stewards would all be members or friends of the club and motivated to do the best job possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I've marshalled for my club too. As others have said, the club gets paid money per marshall; most marshalls don't get paid directly. We're doing it as fellow runners and on behalf of our clubs, though, so I would say most try to do a good job despite not being paid. I certainly try my best.

Sometimes runners expect too much, though - after a very busy race my husband marshalled at I read comments on boards saying that the marshalls weren't cheering or encouraging enough and I've heard complaints that we won't take items of clothing from passing runners and hold on to them until the end of the race. It's hard enough to direct runners, try to keep cars back - with no authority to do so, and drivers shouting at you etc - without having to be a cloakroom and cheerleader too - though of course I'll cheer and support if other things aren't hectic.

I think the mistakes at the Clontarf 5 mile sound disappointing, but I was chatting to some of the marshalls yesterday and they seemed to think (this was just general chat; I don't know if they were at the place where the mistake was made) the organisation / numbers doing it versus tightness of route etc made it difficult to marshall.

I marshalled at the half last summer in Clontarf and actually my briefing could have been better - I knew what I was to do in my own specific spot, but before the race there were a lot of queries from runners about other issues that I couldn't answer. The briefing was more comprehensive at DCM this year and included locations of St John's ambulance / water stations / direction race was coming from etc. I suppose a bit of marshalling experience helps you to ask enough questions of the organiser beforehand etc. I think I certainly learned from the time I felt very at sea and under-briefed.

So in brief, I think in general marshalls do their best. I know it's disappointing if they make mistakes, but they (we :-)) certainly don't come out intending to do a bad job or for the fame & riches it offers! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I've marshalled for my club too. As others have said, the club gets paid money per marshall; most marshalls don't get paid directly. We're doing it as fellow runners and on behalf of our clubs, though, so I would say most try to do a good job despite not being paid. I certainly try my best.

Sometimes runners expect too much, though - after a very busy race my husband marshalled at I read comments on boards saying that the marshalls weren't cheering or encouraging enough and I've heard complaints that we won't take items of clothing from passing runners and hold on to them until the end of the race. It's hard enough to direct runners, try to keep cars back - with no authority to do so, and drivers shouting at you etc - without having to be a cloakroom and cheerleader too - though of course I'll cheer and support if other things aren't hectic.

I think the mistakes at the Clontarf 5 mile sound disappointing, but I was chatting to some of the marshalls yesterday and they seemed to think (this was just general chat; I don't know if they were at the place where the mistake was made) the organisation / numbers doing it versus tightness of route etc made it difficult to marshall.

I marshalled at the half last summer in Clontarf and actually my briefing could have been better - I knew what I was to do in my own specific spot, but before the race there were a lot of queries from runners about other issues that I couldn't answer. The briefing was more comprehensive at DCM this year and included locations of St John's ambulance / water stations / direction race was coming from etc. I suppose a bit of marshalling experience helps you to ask enough questions of the organiser beforehand etc. I think I certainly learned from the time I felt very at sea and under-briefed.

So in brief, I think in general marshalls do their best. I know it's disappointing if they make mistakes, but they (we :-)) certainly don't come out intending to do a bad job or for the fame & riches it offers! :-)

It's certainly not a marshal's job to encourage competitors, although it's great when they do. It's definitely not their job to hold onto items of clothing either; they'd end up looking like cricket umpires.

I am looking for a target half marathon for Autumn 2015.
    Athlone was my goal race but I've just found out I can't do it due to a wedding:(
    How come weddings always seem to come between me and my running:confused: Rhetorical question!

Suggestions welcome. Anywhere in Ireland, North or South. Cheers. I know about the Race Series one so anything else?

Athlone was my goal race but I've just found out I can't do it due to a wedding:(
    How come weddings always seem to come between me and my running:confused: Rhetorical question!

Suggestions welcome. Anywhere in Ireland, North or South. Cheers. I know about the Race Series one so anything else?

The Charleville half is a cracking race. It's flat, fast and brilliantly organised. Usually on about the 3rd week in September.

The Charleville half is a cracking race. It's flat, fast and brilliantly organised. Usually on about the 3rd week in September.

Of course! Completely forgot about that one! Thanks. Looks good.

Other suggestions welcome too for something possibly closer to Dublin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Clontarf? ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

All the cool kids are doing Charleville. Ferns half might be an option although it's a bit lumpy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

The waterside half marathon (Derry). They are planning a new route for 2015 incorporating the peace bridge (I think). Mid September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

In the earlier part of 2015, I'm signed up for Carlingford on March 7. There's one in Bohermeen (near Navan) around the same time, which seems to attract a good few from these parts as well.

Advertisement