Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

walshb wrote: »
    Thanks. Shivering on the start line. I don't like the sound of that. I am just curious as to whether I will be able to run as freely and fast as in warm conditions.

I find it easier to go faster in colder weather. Warmer weather kills me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

walshb wrote: »
    Any experienced runners know if there is any noticeable difference with cold weather running and mild-warm weather running? 5 k distances. I am going to run in a race in December and I expect it to be real chilly. I love running in warm-hot weather. Any tips?

You'll probably find that you'll need to warm up more before you feel able to go full pelt on a cold day. For shorter distances then the ambient temperature being warmer will tend to help as the muscles will be warmed up a bit already, for long distances then the temperature won't make as much difference as you'll be taking it easier from the start anyway and have time to get warm, but then benefit from not overheating the rest of you as much will help you feel comfortable for the longer duration.

If you want to run a 5km PB then you want a nice still warm summers evening rather than a chilly winter morning if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 54,961 ✭✭✭✭walshb

robinph wrote: »
    You'll probably find that you'll need to warm up more before you feel able to go full pelt on a cold day. For shorter distances then the ambient temperature being warmer will tend to help as the muscles will be warmed up a bit already, for long distances then the temperature won't make as much difference as you'll be taking it easier from the start anyway and have time to get warm, but then benefit from not overheating the rest of you as much will help you feel comfortable for the longer duration.

If you want to run a 5km PB then you want a nice still warm summers evening rather than a chilly winter morning if possible

Thanks for that. Similar to what I was thinking. So, warm and still would be my best PB option you reckon.....Agreed!

I will warm up as best I can and hope the legs/heart and lungs like the cooler temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Clearlier wrote: »
    No, but some kind of recovery activity might be a good idea. The theoretical purpose of the activity is to get blood flowing to the areas that have been damaged by training to help them repair more quickly. Trial and error!
    Thanks, I do a 5k walk instead, except I usually stop in the Chinese on the way back for some compensation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,961 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pointer28 wrote: »

I am the complete opposite. Now, for long runs I am sure I'd prefer a bit cooler, but for 5 k I want it quite warm. It's the 5 K Jingle Bell race that I have been told is a fairly fast course. Just hope the temperature doesn't affect me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thargor wrote: »
    Are recovery runs mandatory? Even for beginners who are just managing 5k without breaks? Because my legs are destroyed the day after a 5k run, need at least 48 hours before I can go out again.
    If you're suffering two days after a (non-race) 5k, you're probably running it too fast. Slow your 5ks down and you'll be able to run more

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So, I stumbled onto this on facebook. An outstanding athlete obviously, but just curious if anyone here has done these race-doubles?? Refer to the bottom of the article under' race plans' , where she would race a combination of a 5k and a 10k on the same day???
    http://m.runnersworld.com/masters-profiles/christine-kennedy-runs-a-259-marathon-at-age-59?adbid=10152819867962090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089&cid=socMas_20141029_34624467

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Hi

Looking for advice regarding a good 5k/10k plan or book to follow over the winter.

Start running last Christmas. I'm doing up to 50 miles per week. I ran my first marathon on Monday (3:07). I want to spend the next few months focusing on shorter distances. My 5k/10k pbs are currently 18:40/39:30.

Just wondering what are the best books/plans that people have found. Followed P&D for the Marathon. Thinking of Daniels' Running Formula for the 5k/10k. Is that the best book out there on the subject or have others found something else better?

I know it can all be subjective but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

An_Reathai wrote: »
    Thinking of Daniels' Running Formula for the 5k/10k.

That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment, I'm in week 12 of 18 and loving the different workouts and paces. I've concentrated mainly on HM's for the past two years and found myself getting stale and bored so figured trying to find a bit of speed might be a nice idea.

Don't get me wrong, it's no walk in the park and very tough at times, and while I haven't raced a 5k in months, I certainly feel fitter and stronger and hope to set a new PB shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

martyboy48 wrote: »
    So, I stumbled onto this on facebook. An outstanding athlete obviously, but just curious if anyone here has done these race-doubles?? Refer to the bottom of the article under' race plans' , where she would race a combination of a 5k and a 10k on the same day???
    http://m.runnersworld.com/masters-profiles/christine-kennedy-runs-a-259-marathon-at-age-59?adbid=10152819867962090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089&cid=socMas_20141029_34624467

I ran two races on the same day many years ago... an IMRA winter race followed by the Raheny 5km. You'd need to be in pretty good form to be doing that kind of thing, and also not caring too much about the result of the second race in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did a parkrun and then a 10km race on New Years day this year, and will be doing the same next one as well. With there being multiple parkruns possible to run on the same day at New Year I'd fit in another one if I could but the timings just don't quite work out and I need to do the 10km as it's a club championship event.

Also done the Adidas Thunder Run a couple of times which is effectively the same kind of thing with it being a relay event over 24hours around a 10km trail course. You have a couple of hours off in between each of your legs, depending on how many people are in your team and how fast they run, but I was running each leg at pretty much full effort. Also did a warm up "race" in the morning before the event started of another parkrun so had done 5x10km races in 24 hours + and extra 5km three hours before the start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pointer28 wrote: »

This. I get nauseous if I run in warm weather. Irish summers can be enough to make me ill for a couple of days if I try to do a session. I am very pale though but warm weather running doesn't suit me at all. I train + race better Autumn, Winter and Spring. Summer kills me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Smashing runner Chris Kennedy , a former GCH star and would still beat most of the club women and men over the marathon -and did just that in Boston last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I ran through the card (minus hurdles) on the track once, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3k steeple and 5k. For good measure I threw the discus too. I did it to get points (think we ended up second last by one point....) but I imagine that the woman in the article just does them as training runs - a race can be a great way to get a tempo workout in if it suits you mentally. Two races may not be the ideal way to do it but if it suits the runner it's not the worst training plan I've ever come across.

^ That just reminded me that I did a 100m, 800m, 3km at a track meeting last year as well. Was great laugh having a go at the 100m and my 13.something time had me ranked in the top 10 in the UK for old blokes briefly as well (think it only bumped me down to top 15 by the end of the year). Great to have a go at unusual events every now any then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Has anyone ever followed any of the plans from Bob Glover - specifically from the competitive runner's handbook? There's a sample 10k novice plan which I was thinking of giving a go, wondering if anyone had any experience of using any of his sample plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ive injured my foot and I don't know how to fix it. Im pretty sure its down to lack of stretching before and after runs. ..but it feels like it needs stretching...but I can't find the stretch.

Are my running days over? ..will it be fixed in time for 10k next week?? Who do I go to about it...gp or physio? What stretch will fix it???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever followed any of the plans from Bob Glover - specifically from the competitive runner's handbook? There's a sample 10k novice plan which I was thinking of giving a go, wondering if anyone had any experience of using any of his sample plans

I haven't used it, but I have the book and it looks like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I followed the marathon plan a couple of times. Nothing fancy, but it did the job, and I remember the book being very readable.

edit: the mileage looks a bit on the low side (15-20M), but you can always tweak that based on your current levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I did the intermediate plan for this year's mini marathon - I didn't manage to do every session, but I sort of followed it, and found it good. Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my back the day before the race and ended up finishing 90 secs off my pb, but before that happened I felt in OK 10k shape. I relaly like the book!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ive injured my foot and I don't know how to fix it. Im pretty sure its down to lack of stretching before and after runs. ..but it feels like it needs stretching...but I can't find the stretch.

Are my running days over? ..will it be fixed in time for 10k next week?? Who do I go to about it...gp or physio? What stretch will fix it???

Go to a physio - preferably one that knows about running - if you post your location you will get plenty of recommendations here.

Unlikely that your running days are over :) but would hold off doing anything until you see a physio and stay away from Googling your symptoms or stretches that help - it will probably tell you you have ebola and need to stand on your head for 3 hours a day anyway :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

No medical advice allowed! But get yourself to a physio, hopefully it isn't too serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Or here's a radical idea. Go to a podiatrist. Feet are their speciality. I've stopped using physios, myself. If it's more muscular, then I use a muscular therapist. If it seems more foot, or joint, related, I go see the podiatrist. The two disciplines overlap, of course, but between the two of them my problems get sorted effectively. This is just my experience, mind, I'm not dissing physios. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    Or here's a radical idea. Go to a podiatrist. Feet are their speciality. I've stopped using physios, myself. If it's more muscular, then I use a muscular therapist. If it seems more foot, or joint, related, I go see the podiatrist. The two disciplines overlap, of course, but between the two of them my problems get sorted effectively. This is just my experience, mind, I'm not dissing physios. Each to their own.

I have found Physical thereapistas/Sports therapists to be a great catch all. I've had many foot problems that they have fixed. The ex-poster Ecoli was great with any foot problems I had, ditto Ciaran Fitzpatrick, The physical therapist in Ballinteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Thank you. I was hoping it would be a..'ah that's standard stick some ice on it and it'll be grand' kind of issubut I appreciate that was a long shot.

Im in tallaght...I don't need a referral letter from a gp or anything do I?

I did Google a bit I admit :o but every 'diagnosis' came with pictures of feet *shudder* so I didn't Google for long ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Thank you. I was hoping it would be a..'ah that's standard stick some ice on it and it'll be grand' kind of issubut I appreciate that was a long shot.

Im in tallaght...I don't need a referral letter from a gp or anything do I?

I did Google a bit I admit :o but every 'diagnosis' came with pictures of feet *shudder* so I didn't Google for long ;)

Mod note: Maybe PM this info just in case, don't want to post personal info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Whatever the issue, I very much doubt that lack of stretching is responsible for it. Just about every study I have come across over the last few years states that stretching does not improve injury risk, and quite a few state that it (static stretching that is) actually increases the rate of injury.

Whatever the issue, I very much doubt that lack of stretching is responsible for it. Just about every study I have come across over the last few years states that stretching does not improve injury risk, and quite a few state that it (static stretching that is) actually increases the rate of injury.

I'm inclined to think the same, but I've trouble with my calfs and the physio recommends stretching before, during and after running. I'm not convinced but I still do as I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm inclined to think the same, but I've trouble with my calfs and the physio recommends stretching before, during and after running. I'm not convinced but I still do as I'm told.

What type of stretching? Static or dynamic?

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What type of stretching? Static or dynamic?

Static

Advertisement