Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1

Just leaving this here...

Ha ha, thanks, that made me laugh! I remember being in Paris when that film was out. George du Jungle, I believe they called it over there!

tang1 wrote: »
    Ouch, and they made you a Dr!!! Hope your not to sore D.

Thanks B - still not a Dr yet though! :rolleyes:

How is the rehab going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks B - still not a Dr yet though! :rolleyes:

How is the rehab going?

I thought you were. Pain free past two days more or less, will try 30 mins at recovery pace tomorrow if I feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ouch D, better get some Arnica for the medicine cabinet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Yes but did you get them across the line on time ????

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Yes but did you get them across the line on time ????

As many of them as would have made it anyway, plus one lad who was so impressed with my efforts that he mustered up a 26:59. Think he'd forgotten his barcode though. :rolleyes:

Only managed a 27:02 myself. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

As many of them as would have made it anyway, plus one lad who was so impressed with my efforts that he mustered up a 26:59. Think he'd forgotten his barcode though. :rolleyes:

Only managed a 27:02 myself. :o

That's cause ever the gent he held the door for everyone to go trough first,
    even when injured:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done on the memorable pacing gig. Any gory selfies taken?

Week 10 of 18

Mon 29 Aug

Rest.

Tue 30 Aug

Club session: 40 mins fartlek (5+2 rpts).

Jogged over to the track with Ferris, who rightly admonished me for being late at the meeting point, especially as it was out of his way).

The session was a 40 min fartlek alternating 5 mins at HMP with 2 mins easy (as opposed to active recovery). This gave me a target pace of around 4:30/k (7:15/m) for the HMP sections. Started out in a group of 5 but within a couple of laps I was on my own, having let two lads go on ahead and dropped the two other lads who seemed to be out for a chatty jaunt. A bit lonely but that’s the price of sticking to the pace, I suppose.

4:21 4:25 4:30 4:33 4:28 4:23
    Avg 4:27 (7:10)

Was wearing new watch and trying to run to HRR (about 80-85%) so pleased enough with this. A bit uneven but that was partly due to some teething problems with the watch, which I’d also managed to programme incorrectly.

Jogged back to D3 for a total 17.25k (10.7m). Things have been a bit ropey lately so this is a good start to the week.

Wed 31 Aug

50 mins recovery. New shoes to break in.

WTD: 25 (16m)
    MTD: 234 (146)
    YTD: 2,005 (1,246)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

SOB - Under the tree at Spar?

'Jogged over to the track with Ferris, who rightly admonished me for being late at the meeting point, especially as it was out of his way).'

New shoes, new watch. So fancy.

3,999 posts, how exciting and easily pleased am I.

I hope the head is ok.

• Advertisement

Make that 4,000. :D

Hang in there. Sure there will be four of us jogging over before too long.

Head's fine. A few "mind the tree" comments last night. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Make that 4,000. :D

Head's fine. A few "mind the tree" comments last night. Hmmm.

when I saw running along with your head buried in your watch I got worried for your safety :D:D;)

Thu 1 Sep

Pilates class, then 45 mins easy + strides.

Out of practice (again) with the Pilates, so it felt pretty tough and I had to wimp out and take a break in the middle of one or two of the more challenging exercises (i.e. anything involving legs in the air). Was happy to escape for a few nice easy miles around Albert College Park, spiced up with eight sets of strides.

Fri 2 Sep

Rest.

Sat 3 Sep

St. Anne’s parkrun at ~10k pace (21:47)

A couple of very wet warmup miles before joining the smaller than usual parkrun field. I had HM pace in mind but felt good at the end of the first lap and upped it in the second half to close to 5k pace, passing a few runners as a result. Had a good look at my friend the tree from last week - it juts out into the path alright so not as hard to say hello to as you might think. :rolleyes:

The start line was hogged today by a bunch of young GAA lads around 14 or 15 years old. They all tore off at the siren, most of them pulling up for a breather after about 150m. A few more made it to about 700m before I passed. After finishing I did an extra lap to cool down and passed another one of them who still had about 800m to go. He sped up when he saw me, looking over his shoulder, then stopped and sort of hid behind a tree (maybe he was afraid of me?). :p Fair play to him for sticking it out, I thought, and I hope he finished. They could all do with some pacing advice though. :)

Approx splits: 4:18 4:29 4:35 4:11 4:14
    Avg HRR: 170 (81%)

Really enjoyed this. Felt in good shape. Still getting used to the watch but the optical sensor seems reliable enough so far. Peaked at 187 (94% HRR) on the hill near the end of the course, which seems about right given I wasn’t going quite at full tilt (but close enough) at that point. Total for the day 11.45k (7.1m).

Coffee afterwards with FBOT and Ferris, who tried to steal my car. ;) 18-20 long run tomorrow, which I’m looking forward to.

WTD: 45 (28m)
    MTD: 20 (12)
    YTD: 2,025 (1,259)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Thu 1 Sep

Coffee afterwards with FBOT and Ferris, who tried to steal my car. ;) 18-20 long run tomorrow, which I’m looking forward to.
    [/I]

Senior moment:o:confused:

Ferris B wrote: »

For a minute there this morning I thought I must've hit my head again. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ferris B wrote: »
    For a minute there this morning I thought I must've hit my head again. :p

Yizzer going to have to elaborate for the rest of us that weren't there, is this something we can poke fun at like?? (of course we would never do such a thing..)

Firedance wrote: »
    Yizzer going to have to elaborate for the rest of us that weren't there, is this something we can poke fun at like?? (of course we would never do such a thing..)

It was just a difference of opinion over whose car keys were whose. :)

Sun 4 Sep

Easy 29k @ 5:36 (18 mi @ 9:01)

Ran up to the Park to join the club run. Good few of the regulars are in Dingle this weekend so only two others in attendance. Stayed mostly dry for 18 easy miles. Home via the canal, eventually meeting and struggling through the pre-match crowds in the Croke Park area.

Nice end to a decent week's work.

WTD: 74 (46m)
    MTD: 49 (30)
    YTD: 2,054 (1,277)

Week 11 of 18 (8 to go)

Mon 5 Sep

40 mins recovery in Albert College Park. No problems sticking to funeral home pace. Very cumid, as they say up in Donegal.

Tue 6 Sep

Club session: pyramid fartlek: 3/4/6/8/3 mins @ HM pace (1 min easy rec)

Delighted to be joined by Bungy Girl for the jog over to Irishtown. Like last week, the session was a new one for me. For a change I managed to find a group (although one of them took a break for one or two of the longer reps). The idea was HM pace of 4:30/k (7:15/m) at various intervals, with one min easy. The easy was supposed to be fast easy but opted for a more recovery easy on the night.

Paces for HM reps:

4:29 4:30 4:31 4:29 4:29 4:35 4:26

HR climbed to 82% HRR by rep 2 and held steady there. I think this is about right for HM pace, probably pretty good considering the warm evening. Plenty of chat afterwards before an easy jog back to the NS with BG.

Wed 7 Sep

45 mins recovery around Whitehall and DCU. Still very warm and clammy around here.

WTD: 31 (20m)
    MTD: 80 (50)
    YTD: 2,085 (1,296)

Thu 8 Sep

Rest.

Fri 9 Sep

20.2 km @ 5:39 (12.5 mi @ 9:05)

Nice MLR in warm and damp conditions. Phoenix Park via Tolka Valley, with yaboya for company. Dawned on me after our conversation that he's been the one with the marathon cigar all along, from what he was saying about his relative race PBs. :p All about the easy miles and keeping the HRR below 70%, although I threw in a km at MP just to make sure the HRM was working.

Sat 10 Sep

8k (5m) easy on the local loop in Donegal.

Sun 11 Sep

QLR: 32.2k (20 mi) 10 easy (HR<155). 10 steady (HR 160-165).

That was the plan anyway. Bad choice of route as I headed north over Croagh and out towards Glenties with a strong tailwind. The first 10 were literally a breeze. Turned into the wind and the 10 home were soul-destroying, or should that be character-building? Was running to HR so the outward and inward legs were almost the same pace in the end. Never as happy to get to the end of a 20-miler. No water, no gels, and a few handfuls of blackberries fresh off the briar to celebrate. Total of 57 miles this week, a lot for me.

WTD: 92 (57 m)
    MTD: 141 (88)
    YTD: 2,146 (1,334)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm very impressed you managed to keep the HR under control despite the wind. I did the same run today but once I hit steady pace my HR went up and it was 180 by the end. Not sure if that counts as steady.

chickey2 wrote: »
    I'm very impressed you managed to keep the HR under control despite the wind. I did the same run today but once I hit steady pace my HR went up and it was 180 by the end. Not sure if that counts as steady.

Well I didn't make any attempt to run to normal steady pace, that's how I kept the HR where it should be! Pace was about 15-20 secs avg per km below where I'd expect it to be on a normal, flat run (some hills to deal with today as well as the wind). Not sure what steady HR should be exactly, but kept it just below marathon HR (which means just below 168 for me).

I usually enjoy this variation on the 20 miler, but not today!

Week 12 of 18

Mon 12 Sep

Rest. No running. Jesus yes.

Tue 6 Sep

Miles with FBOT. Distance/time irrelevant.

Difficult morning in what passes for work in the trainee academic game. It was viva day, the culmination of a few years of honest graft in the research stakes. I'd suggested the idea of a few "Dr Miles" to counteract the natural tendency to just go to the pub and celebrate/drown sorrows. It was a good alternative, and FBOT took me up on it. Not only that, even though I'd tried to get away from the place for the afternoon, he made me run past the alma mater, then drive past it on the way to the coffee shop, where he at least paid for the beverage and cake.

I'm a film guy, so to paraphrase that dude in Legends of the Fall,

"It was a good run."

Thanks, Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on your success Dr :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

You just need to add an R to the end of your user name now Murph_Dr....:) congrats again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Big congrats D, most importantly can you prescribe stuff now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Congratulations Dr Murph!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done on the run, especially not tracking the speed & miles.

Oh and congrats on getting through the viva :) - only minor corrections to do I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So I heard on the grapevine fb actually that Dr Smurf has put Papa Smurf to bed. Noice ;)

Might see you tomorrow!

390474.jpg

Bumpity bump.

Huge congrats!! So now all your spare time can be devoted to running, yay :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats Super achievement!!

Advertisement