Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I should have positioned myself 9 seconds further away from the finish line so ;). Well done on more or less equalling your PB on a tougher course than last year.

This day 5 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sun 25 Sep

45 mins recovery with the mrs on the streets of D9/D3. No obvious issues after yesterday, legs heavy enough but in a normal post-race way. Big couple of weeks coming up, with 22-mile long runs for the next two weeks. Will avoid any sessions this week, with maybe a MP parkrun next Sat.

WTD: 64 (40 m)
    MTD: 279 (173)
    YTD: 2,284 (1,420)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Murph, only for that stitch that would have been a PB:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Only 8 seconds off the pb? Unlucky.

Apparently 'a stitch in time saves nine', so you'd be celebrating only for that inconvenience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Good running pal, considering the stitch, the conditions and Marathon training you'll be in good position to get they GFA time before Chrimbo or in the New Year :) best of luck with the next couple of weeks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You said the hat was wet with water and not sweat!

Well yes, almost entirely water and rain. Just a tiny bit of sweat. Sure didn't it smell sweet as a rose? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done D. Great racing. Damn stitches though. So bloody frustrating. Dealing with them expends a lot of energy along with having to slow with the pain...sucks :(
    Good luck with the next few weeks!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done D. Great racing. Damn stitches though. So bloody frustrating. Dealing with them expends a lot of energy along with having to slow with the pain...sucks :(
    Good luck with the next few weeks!

Yes, I agree - stitches used to be a big problem for me but less so in last 12 months once I adopted the 'alternate side breathing' technique. I think I may have started reverting to the old method though - must check. I wouldn't say it cost more than 30 secs but it feels worse than that, gets you out of the zone and can wreck concentration for the rest of the race. Unfortunate too that 'stitch time' coincided with one of the faster parts of the course. Ultimately though, looking at my HR data, something probably had to give at that point!

Very well done on Sat yourself. :cool:

Week 14 of 18

Mon 26 Sep

64 mins easy, mostly in Tolka Valley Park, discussing various serial killer TV shows with yaboya. :eek:

Tue 27 Sep

Over to the Irishtown track with BG. Did the group warmup but substituted the marathon runners’ session with an easy out and back to Merrion Gates accompanied by clubmate Leo, who had just run back-to-back marathons at the weekend to complete his somewhat random quest to complete 52 marathons in 52 weeks at the age of (you guessed it)… 52. His auld legs were turning over quickly enough considering. :D Back across the river again with BG for a total of 15.3k (9.5 mi).

Wed 28 Sep

Rest.

Thu 29 Sep

8k (5 mi) easy on the Clontarf seafront. Windy out there. Legs felt as dead as they ever have.

Fri 30 Sep

More Rest.

WTD: 35k (22m)
    MTD: 313 (195)
    YTD: 2,319 (1,441)

• Advertisement

Sat 1 Oct

Parkrun @ ~MP (pacing 23 mins)
    5k (3.1m) 22:51 (Average HRR 71%)

Third anniversary of St. Anne’s parkrun today. It really is a fabulous achievement by Killerz and his core team (including FBOT, MrsMc, the KennyGs and many more). They were putting on a few pacers so it was a chance to get back on the horse after my recent encounter with some bark. :p Despite some very heavy rain there was a terrific turnout. I think I dragged a few in, although the conditions weren’t easy for anyone. Grand spread of cake afterwards too. Delighted to pass on Ferris B’s Leinster silver from last March, which was finally released from the vaults over there at Provincial HQ. Finished off the day at Croker, which was another privilege.

Sun 2 Oct

LR: 33.9k @ 5:47 (21.1 @ 9:19) (Avg HRR 71%)

Some junior parkrun duties then out for the long run. The plan says 3 hrs 15mins or 22 miles. Headed out over Howth and then back via Baldoyle and the Malahide Rd from Balgriffin. Have never run the Malahide Road beyond Donnycarney before and it was tough going, I thought. No wonder KennyG made such a sterling marathon debut with all that uphill/downhill work. ;) Hadn't been feeling great, bit of a tickle in the throat, and I really faded at the end of this. Ended up a little bonked and almost came a cropper crossing Griffith Ave when a taxi driver decided to reward my jaywalking with a game of chicken. Had to jump out of the way. Tosser.

WTD: 74 (46 m)
    MTD: 39 (24)
    YTD: 2,358 (1,465)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Murph_D wrote: »
    Finished off the day at Croker, which was another privilege.

Sensible - my day started in Croker and finished up in the Sunnybank - I'm still suffering - happy though :)

Sensible - my day started in Croker and finished up in the Sunnybank - I'm still suffering - happy though :)

The Sunnybank? Thought that was a Na Fianna joint!

Hedigans -> Diggers -> Sunnybank (we weren't allowed to sing in the Diggers)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hedigans -> Diggers -> Sunnybank (we weren't allowed to sing in the Diggers)

memories...............

Happened to be in the 'Diggers myself on thurs. Have to say I like the no singing rule!

Happened to be in the 'Diggers myself on thurs. Have to say I like the no singing rule!

Except on All Ireland Final night when the place is thronged and the barman is walking around tapping people on the head telling them to keep the noise down.

Maybe we should have all piled in to the jacks:

http://publin.ie/2016/singing-in-the-gravediggers-is-strictly-banned-these-13-men-sang-in-the-jacks-instead/

Week 15 of 18

Mon 3 Oct

Rest. Sports massage. A bit of work on ITB and calves. FBOT recommended this therapist and she certainly gets in there. A bit sore afterwards, but in a good way.

Tue 4 Oct

Not feeling great today, but decided to jog over to the track with BG and see how I felt. Nothing fell off on the way over so I lined up with Ferris (slumming it after a short injury layoff) and another couple of lads for the scheduled HM paced session (3, 4, 6, 8, 6, 4, 3 mins with 1 min active recovery). The first two reps were comfortable enough but too far ahead of the pace so I dropped back. Thus I complete most of the session on my own. Was lapped by the big boys just as the final rep commenced so I stuck with them to see how it feels at the sharp end (for three mins anyway).

Interval paces - target 4:30/k (7:30/m)

4:17 (6:54)
    4:09 (6:41)
    4:27 (7:10)
    4:29 (7:13)
    4:28 (7:11)
    4:31 (7:16)
    4:00 (6:26)

Good session, felt much better afterwards than I did before, so that feels like a good sign. Jogged back to D3 with BG to bring the total for the evening to 17.6k (11 mi).

Wed 5 Oct

Rest. No real running window, so opted to front load the week with rest days.

Thu 6 Oct

Easy 11 mi (17.7k) with P.

As Donadea is pretty close to where I’m temporarily working in Maynooth, drove over to the Forest Park for an early recce, as I’ve entered next February’s 50k race there. Yaboya1 joined me, and we covered a good bit of the park, which is lovely but not as flat as I’d hoped. Very enjoyable run on a beautiful autumnal afternoon.

WTD: 35 (22 m)
    MTD: 74 (46)
    YTD: 2,393 (1,487)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You available for a jaunt along the canal next Thursday afternoon?

tang1 wrote: »
    You available for a jaunt along the canal next Thursday afternoon?

Excellent suggestion, B. That should work, around 2:30 (or later) any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Excellent suggestion, B. That should work, around 2:30 (or later) any good?

2.30pm is the finest with me D, I'll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thu 6 Oct

Easy 11 mi (17.7k) with P.

As Donadea . . . . which is lovely but not as flat as I’d hoped

I was told it was flat!! What ya mean by not as flat as I'd hoped?? I'm in for this too!!

Btw, Great session tue, considering you weren't feeling the best.

Younganne wrote: »
    I was told it was flat!! What ya mean by not as flat as I'd hoped?? I'm in for this too!!

Btw, Great session tue, considering you weren't feeling the best.

Well there's nothing too serious in it but a few little uphills and downhills that will no doubt feel pretty tasty after 20 miles or so! We'll organise another recce when it's a little wetter and muckier, you up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well there's nothing too serious in it but a few little uphills and downhills that will no doubt feel pretty tasty after 20 miles or so! We'll organise another recce when it's a little wetter and muckier, you up for that?

Definitely let me know! Would be good to get a few laps of the course to see what I've let myself in for!!;)

Fri 7 Oct

50 mins recovery in the park. Humid again. Funny how hard these little recoveries feel sometimes.

Sat 8 Oct

LR 34k (21 mi) with 12 mi @ MP.

Up before the larks to meet FBOT and get the long run in early enough to finish with a parkrun. We headed south for a change. A few miles easy then started the MP (well, my MP) at Booterstown, turning at Monkstown for the trek back to Raheny. I won't lie - this was tough going at times and I was very glad of the company to keep me honest: tried to downgrade to 10 MP miles before we even started but M was having none of it. :rolleyes: :) As we neared the end M veers left to bypass some roadwork via a bloody sharp incline (he likes to do this kind of thing to me at the end of pace runs). But we completed the MP miles nice and strongly (and on-target to the second) on the flat of the Avenue in St. Anne's, before finishing with a 25-min parkrun. Nothing like having 21 miles in the bag by 10am, and a few guilt-free streaky rashers with the coffee shop breakfast. :)

Sun 9 Oct

50 mins recovery on the seafront with the missus. Beautiful morning, hope it's a little cooler in 3 weeks time.

53 miles this week - one of only two 50+ weeks done in the current cycle, as I try to limit the pounding on the auld bod while still maintaining the endurance for a third stab at the 26.2 this year.

WTD: 86 (53 m)
    MTD: 124 (77)
    YTD: 2,443 (1,519)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You certainly didn't look like you had 20+ miles on you in the parkrun. Good stuff D.

Week 16 of 18

Mon 10 Oct

Rest.

Tue 11 Oct

4 x 1 mi @ 104% MP (1 min A/R)

With the mileage decreasing I accepted a lift to the track from BG and did a short warmup before we were called for the session - mile repeats at HM pace. Once again I seemed to be the only one in my pace group so did most of this on me tod. That's OK, I like my own company.

Splits (target 7:13):
    7:13
    7:06
    7:07
    7:03

Felt good, no problems, all very routine. Total 8.4 k (5.2 mi) with no cooldown.

Wed 12 Oct

45 mins recovery on grass along the Royal Canal.

WTD: 17 (10 m)
    MTD: 141 (87)
    YTD: 2,460 (1,529)

Thu 13 Oct

15k @ 5:37 (9.3m @ 9:03)

Met up with tang1 for 9 miles along the Royal Canal in the Maynooth-Leixlip vicinity. B looking fit and well having dodged the hip bullet at the recent Frank Duffy. :pac: Very pleasant 85 mins on a sunny afternoon. HR a little elevated, although felt fine.

Fri 14 Oct

No running.

Sat 8 Oct

MLR 21.4k @ 5:12 (13.3m @ 8:22)

Another sociable run: 10 steady miles, perfectly measured by FBOT to end in St. Anne's just in time for parkrun. A little blowy out, turning to heavy rain as we negotiated a coastal then inland loop around D5/13. Very enjoyable, incorporating some DCM strategy advice from the wise one. ;)

After a short, shivery break I attempted to run the parkrun by feel at MP, coming in within a few seconds of the 23:40 target. :cool: HR in the right place too, so a good run, in good company -- well worth the soaking.

Sun 9 Oct

58 mins recovery on the seafront, bringing the weekly total to 40 miles (64k).

WTD: 64 (40 m)
    MTD: 189 (117)
    YTD: 2,508 (1,558)

Week 17 of 18

Mon 17 Oct

Rest.

Tue 18 Oct

2 x 15 mins @ MP (2 mins A/R)

Jogged over to Irishtown, solo this time as BG was otherwise occupied at ALSAA. Group warmup, then the session, a rare MP workout on the track. Ran the first 15 with a few lads targeting the same time as me. They got a bit antsy in the second half and picked it up, but I stayed put. Good session. Slightly sluggish, as is typical enough for me while tapering. Cooldown back to D3 for a total of 15.7 k (9.9m)

Wed 19 Oct

Long day. No running opportunity really, until late when I couldn't be arsed. Rest.

Thu 20 Oct

10.1 k (6.4m) easy in the Park with yaboya. Tacked on the Castleknock loop while we were at it. Talked of marathon pacing (everyone's but our own). :pac:

Fri 21 Oct

No running. Took a holiday from the pre-marathon no-alcohol regime, which has been ongoing since the start of the month. A mistake.

Sat 22 Oct

Fr. Collins parkrun @ LT (21:37) followed by 5.1k (3.2m) easy.

Turned up to have a look at yaboya’s sub-18 attempt. The mrs came along and we picked up laura_ac on the way. P, L and me all somehow chose the exact same shirt today (the fetching grey Docklands 5k number), so the Fr. Collins regulars must have thought we were some kind of tag team. Meant to do this at MP but watch didn’t pick up the GPS and was showing a pace that was obviously way off. Realised at the halfway point I was doing LT pace but felt very comfortable so just cruised to the finish, moving through the smallish field to finish 6th. From the results it looks like I helped the aul lad chasing me to a PB. ;)

After some errands and a coffee, got out of the car on way home and did another 5k nice and easy.

Sun 9 Oct

11k (7m) easy (in two parts)

5k comprising 12 or 13 laps of the "top green" in Marino during kiddie football training. A local yoof raced me on one of the laps, looking over his shoulder the whole way, and won handily. About an hour later got in another 6k home from D7 via Canal and Fairview Park. So no long run this weekend, although 22k between yesterday and today is acceptable, I think.

Realised today I haven't taken a single gel since Cork so must take a few over the next week to reacquaint my stomach with the goo, as I'm not ready to ditch them for the race itself.

WTD: 47k (30m)
    MTD: 236 (147)
    YTD: 2,555 (1,588)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I too fell off the pioneer wagon, using my crocked leg as a flimsy excuse :rolleyes:

Something to ponder during the long days between now and next week (or maybe just knock out a quick reply :) ) - how did this cycle compare to some of your previous? Anything you'd do different or do again? Will Donadea look much different?

Advertisement