Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Would you have received a penalty lap if you did ????

No he'd have gotten a penalty slap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FBOT01 wrote: »
    No he'd have gotten a penalty slap :D

oh the piety of those on Lucazade!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Mon 4 Jul

No running.

Tue 5 Jul

We are in the Bavarian Alps for a few days. Spectacular landscape. The hotel has a nice spa and lots of fitness classes available so we signed up for an hour of "Jogging mit Veronika". Turned out it was just me, A, and another German woman in her 30s who was a bit intimidated by the missus's Dublin HM shirt. Veronika (a very nice and recently qualified fitness instructor) led us through a few stretches and then guided us through about five miles of forest and Alpine meadows. Lovely run, finishing off with a few more stretches. Fabelhaft! Short hike later in the afternoon, up to a hilltop beer and wurst hutte that was closed. Scheisse!

Wed 6 Jul

No Veronika today and anyway we wanted to get out in the cooler, earlier air so a pre-breakfast run was in order. A was determined to get in her 8 x 1min hill session, so we warmed up with a jog through the forest till we found a decent-looking spot (not that there's any shortage of hills around). The missus was a bit concerned that the hill wasn't long or steep enough but I persuaded her it was a very adequate session for a holiday run especially. Certainly made the breakfast buffet all the sweeter. Now she's dragging me off to trek through some gorge for the rest of the day. :rolleyes: I'll need the sauna after that!

WTD: 14k (9m)
    MTD: 38 (24)
    YTD: 1,586 (989)

Murph_D wrote: »
    The missus was a bit concerned that the hill wasn't long or steep enough but I persuaded her it was a very adequate session for a holiday run especially! Certainly made the breakfast buffet all the sweeter. Now she's dragging me off to trek through some gorge for the rest of the day. :rolleyes: I'll need the sauna after that!

:D:D go Anna! enjoy the trek but be careful of the sauna.... :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Firedance wrote: »
    :D:D go Anna! enjoy the trek but be careful of the sauna.... :pac::pac::pac:

Think the Lemon is in Singapore, there safe enough!!!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Think the Lemon is in Singapore, there safe enough!!!

It was more a reference to my recent sauna experiences :D:D (did I mention he invited me for a run!!!!!) but good point on the Lemon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    It was more a reference to my recent sauna experiences :D:D (did I mention he invited me for a run!!!!!) but good point on the Lemon!!

Who did? Your man in the sauna??? I've a feeling we should move this off D's log :pac:

annapr wrote: »
    Who did? Your man in the sauna??? I've a feeling we should move this off D's log :pac:

Yup, I'll put it in my next boards update sometime in September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

annapr wrote: »

Good idea.....but just so we are clear what are you talking about here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good idea.....but just so we are clear what are you talking about here :p

Oh my God........... I apologies for my husband !!!!:eek:

• Advertisement

Thu 7 Jul

Rest. Swim and sauna recovery! Survived an Aufguss session — no embarrassing incidents to report. ;)

Fri 8 Jul

8.2k @ 5:37 (5.1m @ 9:03)

Same route as Weds, a little faster. Spectacular Alpine scenery, alone this time and managed not to get lost.

Sat 9 Jul

LR 17.5k @ 5:43 (10.9m @ 9:12)

In Munich for two nights, in a hotel beside the Englischer Garten. Huge park, lots of gravel and dirt trails. Great spot for running. Started out with A for a couple of kms then left her to own devices and headed up the Isar river, crossing into yet another park on the other side before doubling back. Started out at 8am and it was pretty warm by the end of this. Enjoyable run despite being a bit hungover after a few too many weissbiers. Passed 1,000 miles for the year so far in the middle of this one.

(Was intrigued to see people in the park with surfboards, and later found out why: fast flowing river + change of depth = permanent wave = urban adventures. Google it if you don’t believe me!)

WTD: 41k (26m)
    MTD: 65 (41)
    YTD: 1,618 (1006)

Mon 11 Jul

45 mins easy on the Clontarf seafront.

An easy transition from the P&D 5-week marathon recovery, completed last week, to Day 1 of the club’s 16-week DCM training schedule. First time doing this plan, which I believe is a variation of Jack Daniels’ ideas. It certainly doesn’t look easy, with sessions on Tue, Thu and Sat and of course a Sunday LR. I will probably be ditching one of the Thu/Sat workouts in favour of recovery myself. Will also be varying it around the Race Series. So we will see how it goes. Change is good, and all that. Looks like I’ll be in plenty of company at the club anyway, with at least a dozen others in and around my target time, which will be yet another stab at 3:20 or better.

WTD: 8k (5m)
    MTD: 74 (46)
    YTD: 1,626 (1011)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Best of luck with it Denis.

Thanks N - been wondering how you're getting on. Recovered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks N - been wondering how you're getting on. Recovered?
    Yeah well recovered now Denis thanks. Have managed to put together a really good block of training in the last while so very happy atm. DCM next target too (then London)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

neilc wrote: »
    Yeah well recovered now Denis thanks. Have managed to put together a really good block of training in the last while so very happy atm. DCM next target too (then London)!

training log resurrection???

Tue 12 Jul

WU + 30 mins MP + CD

Jogged over to Irishtown for the club marathon group session. The plan was 30 mins at around HMP but we have a new runner at the club who is sight impaired, and I guided him around the track at his desired pace of 4:40/km so closer to MP for me. He’s a strong runner making very rapid progress, so he’ll probably be guiding me by the end of the summer. ;) Total for the evening 14k (8.7m).

Wed/Thu 13/14 Jul

Rest. Busy helping out with registration and number pickup at club’s Docklands 5k race, then marshalling, so didn’t have much opportunity to run. The race went off pretty well, with decent numbers and pretty smooth organisation. Delighted to see Singer and laura_ac3 among the participants, recording strong PBs too. Dublin Runner very high up the placings as well with a blistering performance.

Fri 15 Jul

Progressive 102-108% MP

Have’t done this type of run in a while - 10 mins slightly faster than MP, another 10 at around HMP and then 5 at around 10k pace. I chose Fairview Park for this, first time doing a session in there. The 1.1k tarmac loop was suitable enough. Turned into something of a regression/progression as I did the first split a little fast (4:36/k) and then overcompensated (4:39). The third one actually felt the best (partly because it was a bit under target too at 4:27). Muggy enough morning so I’ll take it. Not sure about the 1 min recoveries between reps. :confused:

Total with warmup and cooldown: 10.6k (6.6m)

WTD: 33k (20m)
    MTD: 98 (61)
    YTD: 1,661 (1,026)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Ah yes I noticed there marshalling alright.
    We made brief eye contact and my legs went to jelly.....oh wait maybe that was just the running.;)

Ah yes I noticed there marshalling alright.
    We made brief eye contact and my legs went to jelly.....oh wait maybe that was just the running.;)

Ha! Would have shouted if I'd known what you look like. Nice run.

Sat 16 Jul

Poppintree parkrun (22:07)

The club's (mostly) XC women were having a bit of a send off for an emigrating member, so I gatecrashed. It's not every day you get to finish only a few places behind a European Championship medallist, who was pacing the emigré to a sub-20 PB. Would have been nice to gatecrash that sub-20 train too, but with two sessions already this week, including one yesterday, I settled for yet another tempo run. Usually that's enough for a first-10 finish in Poppintree but not when the field is loaded like today! It's parkrun so it's always a pleasure.

Sun 17 Jul

95 mins slow along the Tolka and the Royal Canal. Delighted to see my swans are continuing to thrive with yet another brood in tow. That completes week one of the plan with a couple of deviations, and 34 miles.

WTD: 54k (34m)
    MTD: 120 (74)
    YTD: 1,672 (1,039)

• Advertisement

Mon 18 Jul

45 mins recovery. Roundabout route to pick up the car we abandoned at my sister's on Sat. night.

Tue 19 Jul

3 x 7 mins @ 10k pace (5 mins active recovery)

After a day of strimming and other jungle-taming activities in Donegal (and yes, what a day for it), I thought I'd do the club-mandated session on the beach. The session (19x400 at various paces) was too complicated to programme into the watch so I opted for a simpler version, which I then had to abandon when the watch died on the way to the beach. I also had to abandon the beach - got to the lovely Fintra and it was (very) high tide with not an inch of hard sand in sight. So I returned to the Killybegs metropolis and did an even simpler session along the Shore Road and the industrial estate, timed with the Strava app. 10k pace is about 6:48 so allowing for some leakage, hills, and the very warm evening, I aimed to cover a mile per 7 minute rep, which is exactly what I did. About as good a session as I've ever done away from the track. Cruise intervals FTW.

Note: I've been coming to Donegal regularly for more than 30 years, but I still seem to be a bit of a mystery man; a source of mild distraction and tolerant amusement to the locals (some of whom called me "The German" for quite a while). Killybegs is no running mecca - I passed a few mostly elderly walkers but no runners during the hour or so I cantered around the harbour. One or two folks stopped and gawped at me like I'd just landed in from Mars (or possibly Dublin). Boy racers beeped, and strollers smiled. The only sign of any sporting activity was provided by a few rowers in the harbour, who were polite enough to ignore me completely. No sign of Seamus Coleman, unfortunately.

WTD: 18k (11m)
    MTD: 138 (86)
    YTD: 1,691 (1,051)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

All the best for tomorrow D, have a good one.

Very best tomorrow D, hope it goes well, run well.

+1 D, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Have a good one tomorrow D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Best of luck this am D. Great running conditions. Enjoy.

Wed 20 Jul

No running. Did battle with some flying ants though.

Thu 21 Jul

LT test: 4x1200, 1x1600 progressive.

Joined Ferris and FBOT at Irishtown for a LT testing session with Emmett from perfect pacing.com. The test consists of a series of increasingly faster 1200 reps, beginning at easy pace, with the final 1600 at (for me) slightly faster than 5k pace. A blood sample is taken after each rep to measure lactate concentration. Interesting morning, and while the data lines up pretty well with McMillan/JD estimates based on race results, it's good to have confirmation of that. It suggests my I've been training at appropriate paces, and that race targets are realistic. The emphasis is on HR rather than simply pace, however, so one takeaway is that I should use the HRM more often for training runs to make sure the HR is appropriate for the conditions (external and internal) on the day.

Fri 22 Jul

46 mins recovery.

Lovely morning on the seafront. Bumped into a colleague and extended the run a little to have a chat.

Sat 23 Jul

No running.

Sun 24 Jul

Fingal 10k: 44:15 (PB)

Not the time I had mentioned in advance but the small PB will serve as a sign that things aren't going completely backwards. :rolleyes: :)

WTD: 44k (27m)
    MTD: 164 (102)
    YTD: 1,716 (1,067)

Well done D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good stuff D, tough course as well, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Well done on the PB, it's all progress!

Advertisement