Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Singer wrote: »
    I too fell off the pioneer wagon, using my crocked leg as a flimsy excuse :rolleyes:

Something to ponder during the long days between now and next week (or maybe just knock out a quick reply :) ) - how did this cycle compare to some of your previous? Anything you'd do different or do again? Will Donadea look much different?

This cycle has been very low key and relaxed. Plenty of work in there but it hasn't felt as intense as the P&D55+ plan I followed for Boston, and then rolled over via the P&D back-to-back schedule for Cork. I'd missed a few LT sessions early on in that plan, and struggled with the later LT sessions partly as a result, but I still felt fighting fit at the end of it.

The DCM cycle has been a bit of a mishmash in terms of the plan - elements of the club marathon schedule (most of the Tues sessions, the odd club long run); elements of P&D (swapping Thurs MLRs for the club session); and plenty of LRs "with stuff", following advice from Emmett Dunleavy at perfectpacing.com, where I did the LT pinprick blood test during the summer. That testing also informed the pacing of the runs, following the general 80% easy rule (with easy defined clearly as 70% of HRR or less). There's also been less VO2max stuff and more LT, which this time around has not been a struggle, so definitely some improvement there I feel, which hopefully will be felt on the day.

It's been a sociable cycle too - lots of company on the long runs and the sessions, although it was pretty much that way earlier in the year too - I've been lucky enough to have caught FBOT, Ferris and yaboya1 all in rebuilding or pacer-training mode, doing plenty of running at paces that have suited me.

And parkruns, lotsa parkruns. What can I say - it's been a blast, whatever happens. See you out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Will probably see you at park run on Sat but if not best of luck for Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The very best of luck on Sunday D, will be rooting for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck for Sunday! I'm getting worried now about the temperature, you always pick the unseasonably warm days to run a marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck on Sunday Murph, you're due a brilliant run, all the training is in the bag!! See you after for a chat & a drink!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck Sunday Murph will miss ya as my pacer this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck D. You'll have to find another target to chase down this time however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Murph, hopefully see you on the course or in mcgrattans. Have a good one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very best of luck on Sunday D. I'll be on stewarding duty up around Terenure so will give you a shout out. Hopefully this is the one where it all comes together for you on the day and the weather is favouable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck Murph - will see you en route, or afterwards, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck on Sunday Murph, hope everything goes your way and it's a good day you you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

All the best D, you're due a good one, your training has been very consistent, hope you nail it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Even with the forecast it should still be cooler than your previous two marathons! Hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Looking forward to tracking you D. Really feel you will have a very good race. Will give you a shoutout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck for Sunday, D! Enjoy the day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

GOOD LUCK!!! I will be marshalling in the first few miles - I'll cheer you on and rattle my marathon clapper thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hoping you have an overdue good day tomorrow! PB or bust!

Thanks for the kind wishes, all - ye're a dacent bunch. :)

Week 18 of 18

Mon 24 Oct

Rest.

Tue 25 Oct

46 mins easy on the track.

Very enjoyable and casual jog around the track at Irishtown with the marathon crowd. A definite crackle of anticipation in the air, which is always energising as the countdown begins.

Wed 26 Oct

40 mins easy.

Long day at work. Didn’t get out till after dark for a few easy miles on the seafront, where I bumped into me own missus.

Thu 27 Oct

Another long day - worked late so I could take Friday off. Made an important deadline, which is always a plus. No running though.

Fri 28 Oct

Meant to do a few easy miles today after visiting the expo. Took the train and got off at the wrong stop, however, so the extra few kms walk, along with earlier school sponsored walk along the seafront with the A and the boys, meant I'd been on the feet enough for the day. Good to bump into Myles and Norb at the expo. Bought a few gels.

Sat 29 Oct

4k (2.5m) easy with some strides.

And that’s that. You can’t accuse me of overdoing it in marathon week anyway. :rolleyes: But it’s been a decent few months of work since kicking it off on July 11. By lunchtime tomorrow I'll have put in 997k (619m) over the 18 weeks. Fairly low mileage, it has to be said (compares to 1,193k/741m) for the Boston cycle. But it’s been a long year, and I’ve tried to stay as fresh as possible over the last few months, while still getting in the important work. Can’t say I feel particularly fresh, however — we’ll find out tomorrow!

WTD: 19k (12m)
    MTD: 254 (158)
    YTD: 2,573 (1,599)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck out there D, hope it's a good day for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck Denis.
    Even if we do get another heatwave, you'll be fine as you're used to it by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Best of luck tomorrow D, hope everything falls into place and you have a great day! See you in McGrattans for a (hopefully PB) beverage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck tomorrow mate.....we might even run some miles alongside each other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Remember, as a wise man once said, there is no B-goal :D:D:D

Go for it! Best of luck, TTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow D, I hope you have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope it all goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

The very best of luck D. Have a great race, hope you get that target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

A PB! Happy days :D very well deserved after all your work this year. Enjoy the celebrations and the beers!

3:28:28

Only 8.5 mins off target. Tough day. A PB but a hollow one. Happy to wear the medal all the same. Off to Italy for a few days of holidaying. Yes, bringing the runners.

Quite a day, as it always is. Dublin is no easy course. But it's a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running today D and congrats on the pb.

Advertisement