Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats on the strong run D. €50 is a lot of spending power after a days running in that heat. Hope you stayed on your feet for a pint at least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great report D really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

50 quid trumps a Lady Active Suit and a buff for sure :D. Nicely done. Great report, and 2nd fastest marathon in those conditions is not to be sniffed at. Feet up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Murph and congrats on your podium position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great work - nice report too. Before you get too comfortable - whats next? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oooh, Podium finish. Fantastic, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice report there D and a strong performance too, even if it was short of your original target. Congrats and well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great work - nice report too. Before you get too comfortable - whats next? :)

Thanks A - will have a go at sub-70 Frank Duffy and a decent HM in race series.

Cork gives me another Boston GFA but I don't think I'll be going back for a while. Thinking maybe Donadea in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good work D. Sounds like a tough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Very enjoyable report. Congrats on the podium finish! Nicely done!

• Advertisement

Just been recovering and ticking over post-Cork, following the P&D post-marathon recovery cycle. The aftermath has been disappointingly pain-free really: maybe I could have wrung a bit more out of it, although the overriding memory is of a slogfest from 14 miles on. Anyway... onwards.

Fri 10 June

3.2k (2 m) recovery. Couple of laps of Albert College Park. The heavens opened for what felt like the first time in months and I enjoyed the soaking.

Mon 13 Jun

8.3k (5.1) recovery on the seafront.

Wed 15 Jun

6.8k (5.1) recovery. Was in Galway for the young one's graduation. This was pretty sluggish after some celebrating the night before. Just as well TbL wasn't in town for a date.

Fri 17 Jun

10k (6.2) recovery. Albert College again, takin the opportunity to survey the park for some small changes to junior parkrun route.

Sat 18 Jun

St. Anne's parkrun @ tempo pace. Or is it LT pace? Late arriving so only warmup was the jog from the car to the start area. Total 5.23k (3.2m). This was a deviation from the plan, maybe a little premature for this kind of session but enjoyable after all the recovery over past 10 days. target was around 4:25/k so happy with the splits. Ran most of this with a group that included a very efficient looking female runner and a lad who looked like an age grade rival. Picked it up in the last 400 to pass them on the straight but turned out he was at least 10 years younger and the real rival was another two places ahead. :p

Splits: 4:27 4:19 4:45 4:14 4:09

Sun 19 Jun

Eventually got out for yet another recovery run after a busy morning at junior parkrun with the lads. Run Director debut was a bit stressful but OK in the end. Thanks to aquinn, Bungy Girl, KennyG and Mrs KennyG for helping us all out. 11.3k (7m) on the seafront. Warm and very windy. Had to run the Bull Wall diagonally to go straight ahead. :rolleyes:

WTD: 42k (26m)
    MTD: 117 (73)
    YTD: 1,492 (927)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Just catching up here. You've landed in your new age cat on a roll, well done! Podium beats time ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Just catching up here. You've landed in your new age cat on a roll, well done! Podium beats time ;)

It's all about the honour of course, but still no sign of the cheque. :pac:

P&D Recovery schedule Week 3 (more or less).

Mon 20 Jun

Rest.

Tue 21 Jun

50 mins easy on the seafront, in the company of Ferris and FBOT. There was some talk of yoga and the Downward Dog pose, for some reason.

Wed 22 Jun

9.3k @ 5:12 (5.8m @ 8:22)

Hit an important milestone today at the office, and celebrated with a run. A weight off my shoulders and a bit lighter on my feet so did this a bit harder than the recovery plan was suggesting. A few celebratory hoots too when no one was looking. Then home to watch the Ireland-Italy game, so a great day just kept getting better.

Thu 23 Jun

Rest.

Fri 24 Jun

Another easy 45 mins or so on the seafront.

Sat 25 Jun

Dungloe parkrun @ LT (23:03)

We are in Donegal and got a chance to try out the “local” parkrun which is only about an hour’s drive away (but handy for Donegal Airport if anyone feels like flying in for it). :p A quick glance at results for the previous few months suggested there wouldn’t be a big field and that a tempo run could possibly deliver first finisher status, depending on who showed up. However a clubmate who is also relatively local was visiting too, so that wasn’t going to happen. The clubmate took the front from the off, a local runner chasing him. I settled into third spot, thinking the local guy might burn out. But he gave up the chase after half a km though and kept about 50-60m ahead of me for the rest of the run, looking back occasionally to make sure I wasn’t making a charge. I was happy to stick to the tempo plan and didn’t challenge him, although when he made a wrong turn just before the finish (the same one that cost the Mrs a place) I almost caught him by accident. :pac: Decent workout, and always good to get in some parkrun tourism.

4:20 4:27 4:29 4:36 4:25 (0:46)

Sat 26 Jun

60 mins recovery on country roads with the Mrs. She was doing a longer run so turned after a half hour and left her to it. Lovely morning, misty and light rain. At one point a hare was bounding down the road in front of me, saw me, went into the verge and just lay there waiting for me to pass. Cheeky fecker.

WTD: 42k (26m)
    MTD: 159 (99)
    YTD: 1,534 (953)

Mon 27 Jun

Rest.

Tue 28 Jun

10.8k @ 5:08 (6.7m @ 8:15)

A harder run than scheduled but felt good after another milestone day at the office.

Wed 29 Jun

No running.

Thu 30 Jun

46mins easy, followed a little later by some beer mile training (4x Moosehead off 1:40 standing recovery). Reasonably successful. Timed on my phone but reset by accident and lost the splits. Despite the copout recovery the skull times (ranging from :30 to:50) did not provide a confidence boost.

WTD: 19k (12m)
    MTD: 178 (111)
    YTD: 1,553 (965)

Murph_D wrote: »

46mins easy, followed a little later by some beer mile training (4x Moosehead off 1:40 standing recovery). Reasonably successful. Timed on my phone but reset by accident and lost the splits.

Lol.

Good luck on Saturday :D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Lol.

Good luck on Saturday :D

I know. Good job it wasn't a parkrun.

Sabbatical from alcohol during Marathon training coming back to haunt
    you now:D

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Sabbatical from alcohol during Marathon training coming back to haunt
    you now:D

Indeed. Think I'll be ready for another sabbatical after this week.

So I heard on the grapevine fb actually that Dr Smurf has put Papa Smurf to bed. Noice ;)

Might see you tomorrow!

390474.jpg

• Advertisement

Ha - the thesis is written and submitted but still has to be passed. Won't be able to use the "It's all right, I'm a Doctor" line for a while yet. :D

Ok back to Papa Smurf.....or I know - Brainy Smurf :pac: :pac:

Believe me some pretty thick people have managed to get the letters, based on my experience. Some good runners too. Good few of them around here. ;)

Believe me some pretty thick people have managed to get the letters, based on my experience. Some good runners too. Good few of them around here. ;)

Don't be so modest D, hard work and effort brings the rewards and you
    bring it in spades, really well done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Good luck today.

Don't drink sensibly!

Fri 1 Jul

50 mins easy - reverse commute back home for forgotten wallet.

Sat 2 Jul

National Beer Mile 2016

Don’t know why I signed up for this - enjoyed spectating last year so I suppose it was on the checklist as a result. Didn’t do much preparation save for some chugging practice over the past few days. Made the long journey out to Kilbogget, both buses arriving magically as I approached the stop so early enough to enjoy a pre-race coffee in the garage adjacent to the park. Toulouse arrived in too, so time for some chit chat before strolling over to the track. After what felt like an age of standing around it was finally time to get down to business. Chivito was well prepared, handing out bibs and safety pins to the 16 assembled contestants.

Beer 1 felt very slow but in retrospect it was the best split of the night. Got up and running reasonably quickly, finding myself solidly in the middle of the pack. Couldn’t get any wind out though, a problem that continued into Beer 2/lap 2, both of which were pretty slow. Beer 3 was woefully slow, but at last, about 100m into lap 3 I managed to produce an epic belch and from there on things looked up slightly. Although Beer 4 was the second best transition of the night, it still felt like it would never end, and about six people had finished already by the time I’d stuggled through it. Another good burp halfway round the last lap gave me the confidence for a reasonably strong finish by the standards of the earlier laps. 10:43 by the watch, which leaves loads of room for improvement, not that it there will necessarily be a repeat performance. 10th place.

Well done to the champions, Feargal and Carol, race director Chivito, and all the finishers, some of whom sportingly called penalty laps on themselves. Thanks to FBOT and Mrs Mc for looking after the timing and recording, and the enthusiastic support from a few Cru clubmates and others.

Splits (very approximate, culled from the garmin trace - too stressed/drunk to hit the lap button)

0:30 1:34
    1:01 1:56
    1:07 1:58
    0:55 1:42

Sun 3 Jul

13.1k (8.1m) recovery. The less said the better. Hung over and very queasy. FBOT joined me and he’s lucky I didn’t get sick on him.

WTD: 43k (27m)
    MTD: 24 (15)
    YTD: 1,577 (980)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice job D, heard you were in fine fettle in Harry Byrnes last night alright!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Hung over and very queasy. FBOT joined me and he’s lucky I didn’t get sick on him.

I]

Would you have received a penalty lap if you did ????

13.1k (8.1m) recovery. The less said the better. Hung over and very queasy. FBOT joined me and he’s lucky I didn’t get sick on him.

Ha ha, that'll learn ya to be drinking in a park like a teenager :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the shout out earlier, thought you looked sprightly enough, although FBOT did look a bit nervous now that you mention it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sun 3 Jul

[

:D:D lovely !! Fair play for getting out at all today :p

Advertisement