Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fertliser prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Anyone know if u can get a specd fertliser like u can a meal mix.something like a 40% n(urea) 10 20 in spring would be nice to put out in one go.maby it would cost a big premium,came up at a discussion. Group meeting one day and no one had an answer

Think you can but you need to be buying alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Anyone know if u can get a specd fertliser like u can a meal mix.something like a 40% n(urea) 10 20 in spring would be nice to put out in one go.maby it would cost a big premium,came up at a discussion. Group meeting one day and no one had an answer

See you're nth tipp, would grennans not do it, seeing that they do their own blending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Got a 1:1 mix of can and patentkali ( k, s, mg, B) ordered thru DG. They got it from Gouldings with a minimum of a 10 tn load in the order

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Talking to a few lads last nite bout fertile prices and
    For anyone around area Quinn of baltinglass have seemingly opened a depo in Murphys yard in Portlaw and u can buy can off them for E290/ton maybe not too many buying at the moment but it may make spring prices in area better

Btw Rolled barley delivered from them @ 160/ton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Sami23

18-6-12 e400 yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Whats the yara like?
    Where do ye buy that?

Yara is excellent stuff. It's ccf so the n p and k is in every granule providing the plant with all the nutrients it needs. Blends are hit and miss compared to this as the granules are all different sizes and the p might fly farther than the n and vice versa. I used it and won't go back to the blended crap we get down here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Its fairly expensive now but is worth it. Have ideas of blanket spreading whole place with two bags of 0/7/30 next spring.
    Think MOP is around the 400 mark.
    Really depends on your soil samples. No point in spreading something if you dont know hiw much you need

Would 0.7.30 or 10.10.20 keep in 50kg bags if left out over winter? If prices are reasonable might by some now for next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Sami23

AP2014 wrote: »
    Would 0.7.30 or 10.10.20 keep in 50kg bags if left out over winter? If prices are reasonable might by some now for next spring.

No unless very well covered but I'd advise against it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Sami23 wrote: »
    No unless very well covered but I'd advise against it

Thanks, no wouldn't be very well covered. Unless I get some old carpets or something. It would be out in an open hayshed. Could move into an old cowshed but those 50kg bags are hard work to move.

Would the frost do the damage to it? Would it render it useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Any updates on prices for the spring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

degetme wrote: »
    Any updates on prices for the spring?

Waiting on quote for urea and 18 6 12 ,paid 340 for urea and 375 for 18 6 12 last December/January .will be hopping for something close to that again.full load with mix of both

Waiting on quote for urea and 18 6 12 ,paid 340 for urea and 375 for 18 6 12 last December/January .will be hopping for something close to that again.full load with mix of both

You would be doing well to get that. All the talk of higher prices.

degetme wrote: »
    You would be doing well to get that. All the talk of higher prices.

It's exactly that talk.was told urea couldn't be got sub 380 and 18s sub400 last year and hey presto.have phoned Glanbia,liffeys and Arrabawn forbquotes ,whoevers cheapest wins

It's exactly that talk.was told urea couldn't be got sub 380 and 18s sub400 last year and hey presto.have phoned Glanbia,liffeys and Arrabawn forbquotes ,whoevers cheapest wins

Waitin on quotes myslf. Bought can and sulpa can few wks ago @300t that was in merchant yard.. Was quoted 325 today for same for fresh product

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Theres a buying group in our area and they wont let new members join. three quarters are dairy, but you'd think the more members they have, the more power the have. Think its B****t they wont let new members in. closed shop. Is it difficult to setup a new buying group, presume ya just need to take an add out in the paper, and see what the interest is like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

Nettleman wrote: »
    Theres a buying group in our area and they wont let new members join. three quarters are dairy, but you'd think the more members they have, the more power the have. Think its B****t they wont let new members in. closed shop. Is it difficult to setup a new buying group, presume ya just need to take an add out in the paper, and see what the interest is like

A purchasing group is only as strong as it's weakest member in terms of avail it to pay on time

If a group do a deal all members have to pay before the terms ie cod or 30 days

One late payment destroys years of hard work for a group

So if the group is working well why would they risk the new members

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

stanflt wrote: »
    A purchasing group is only as strong as it's weakest member in terms of avail it to pay on time

+1, U beat to that Stan!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I agree with the first line, but not the last. In order to ensure members operate within the group (which I accept can be difficult), why don't they ask for each members expected volumes, and if a member falls below these volumes, they pay a 10 euro per tonne penalty to the group the next year. That way, you have a good handle on volumes to tender for, and may help members stay in line. On payment terms, interest should be levied by the winning coop onto individual members account who don't pay on time, that will ensure compliance with payment terms.
    Your last line is typical of the mindset I am coming up against, lets keep our good prices to ourselves and let our neighbours pay way over the odds for meal and fertiliser. More members, more volume, better prices for all members. How will min for tanks producer groups ever get off the ground with that mentality?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I can understand where you are coming from Stan however groups should also remember that anything that is stagnent dies. If Co-op when they were set up back in the 1900's took the same attitude they have ceased to exist very fast.

There are methods that can be put in place for new members for instance that they have to pay up front or have to pay a trading security fee. They should be informed of the conditions of any delivery and if they fail to abide by the groups rules are thrown out.

Yes all this is extra work howeverif you fail to take new members in the end that organisation will stagnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

I can understand where you are coming from Stan however groups should also remember that anything that is stagnent dies. If Co-op when they were set up back in the 1900's took the same attitude they have ceased to exist very fast.

There are methods that can be put in place for new members for instance that they have to pay up front or have to pay a trading security fee. They should be informed of the conditions of any delivery and if they fail to abide by the groups rules are thrown out.

Yes all this is extra work howeverif you fail to take new members in the end that organisation will stagnate.

My own group took on another 2500 cows this year

A small purchasing group joined ours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nettleman wrote: »

I wouldn't get too excited about it Nettleman, if a group is able to buy fert 5-10 yoyo lower than ordinary lads it's hardly worth it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I'd much prefer to paddle my own canoe. Negotiate my own T&C's

I think the smaller purchasers get more benefit from the larger buyers. I don't know how this could be dealt with

I think the smaller purchasers get more benefit from the larger buyers. I don't know how this could be dealt with

Agree with that ,I'm in no purchasing group but I shop around and bargin hard for manure.i buy about 3 times per annum for nearly all full loads with x ammount paid on delivery and rest spread over 3/4 months.always get quotes from 3 different suppliers and they all know the score ,he who is cheapest gets the business .sometimes I could buy some from all 3 more times I stay with the same as I did this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Found out about a lad in kk that is a bit cheaper than the rest and cums and spreads it to in one of the big spreaders.

The catch is his product is seckonds or more dust in it than the usuall. Would this be an expensive mistake or would more dust matter much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

+1.
    Firstly I couldn't handle doing business for someone else and visa versa.
    Secondly a group can't duck and dive fast.

Atm I'm offered 34.5%N bulk at €280 or €315 in 600kg big bag. There is a minimum order on this with immediate payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Agree with that ,I'm in no purchasing group but I shop around and bargin hard for manure.i buy about 3 times per annum for nearly all full loads with x ammount paid on delivery and rest spread over 3/4 months.always get quotes from 3 different suppliers and they all know the score ,he who is cheapest gets the business .sometimes I could buy some from all 3 more times I stay with the same as I did this year

much the same here, buy when it suits me , & if getting different compounds would have no hesitation splitting the load if it saved money,

I bargain as hard as I can and if others can buy cheaper than me, fair play to them, I won't lose a night's sleep over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Same here, couldn't see myself joining a buyers group. I price around, but usually end up buying most off the same guy. I try to throw a bit more in to the mix like terms of payment, write off of interest or a deal on meal. Nearly always buy an attic load at a time, sometimes I organise the haulage ( neighbour who has trucks, and I sometimes do a turn for him, so we work it out).
    Id hate to have 20 other farmers depending on my finances, and my finances depending on 20 other farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Think this debate done the rounds here before about purchasing groups and my personal feelings is a with say 150/200 cows or less will benefit from being in one after that its harder to call. But a well run one is very... very hard to beat and its not just fert or meal tenders there about banks/insurance/fuel/chemicals the list goes on. And even the very best of groups have to cut lads loose for bad debt/late payments and it does not undo all there good work. And on getting into a group if you cant set up your own done it in 09 with another fella over 40 of us now opened it up a few years ago to let in some fresh blood so to speak "hand picked might i add" great move as they brought new ideas ventures with them, a closed shop will get very stale IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just out of curiosity what would a farmer with 100 dairy cows annual fert bill be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Just out of curiosity what would a farmer with 100 dairy cows annual fert bill be?

Really depends on how good there p and k are. Curtains spent 12k on feet this yr I think but they have very good p and k status and grass grows with a sniff of N.
    Here were still building p and k could spend 25/30 on fert in the yr
    Might have to cut back to maintance level's next yr

Advertisement