Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fertliser prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

In all fairness oil has fallen by half this year and the Russian currency has done the same. In that time fert prices continue to rise. Their taking the piss, about time a politician from any party did something about it.

+1
    Fat cats getting fatter

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Fert prices are the way they are for the simple reason Origin are the main player in the Irish market. Cooney-Furlong take the odd wild view the odd time, throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, other than that is a completely controlled market. The more competition the better, at least Yara are taking a view this year and trying to break into the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭logie110

gouldings, target,grasslands,grasslands kilkenny,yara,nitrofert,greenfields.
    should be enough competition to keep prices competitive in this small country

logie110 wrote: »

Yeah SHOULD

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Well Gouldings, Grassland & Grasslands Kilkenny are cut from the one cloth. Yara & Greenfield are both from the same plant. But have a look at who supplies these companies their raw material. Completely controlled market imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They've gone mad building new nitrogen plants in the states because of the cheap gas.. When they're up and running that'll change the situation . If not the co-ops could import it direct - ( not saying they would though )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Anyone useing this? Any good? Expensive at over €500T
    The problem when you get a sales man to do your soil test!

What is it ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭White Clover

€500 / ton for physiolith ? Thought it was around €260 / ton

Hear it mentioned here before but didn't hear any feedback on it

• Advertisement

No over €500 a bit crazy. It's a soil conditioner, my p&k is grand. This has added calcium and sulphur to. I'm not convinced myself!

I'm sure you'd find lads who'd sell you farm yard manure for 450 a ton if you want a soil conditioner , they might even deliver and spread it for you too -if your lucky - :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭White Clover

No over €500 a bit crazy. It's a soil conditioner, my p&k is grand. This has added calcium and sulphur to. I'm not convinced myself!

Used it a few years ago. My ph was lowish enough. Didn't see a great improvement. Switched back to ground lime and think I'll stay with it. Heard from a good few who were happy with it. Think greengrass here is very thankful to it

My mistake. Physiolith is €285T it's the sodigrass that's €550T anyone useing sodigrass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

K3v wrote: »
    Fert prices are the way they are for the simple reason Origin are the main player in the Irish market. Cooney-Furlong take the odd wild view the odd time, throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, other than that is a completely controlled market. The more competition the better, at least Yara are taking a view this year and trying to break into the Irish market.

Fertiliser prices are a problem throughout Europe. The dogs on the street are aware of the fact that prices are being controlled by the manufacturers.
    Yara put some of their plants on a 3day week to wash out stocks from merchants yards.
    22 of us got together and brought in a boat of ASN (20.5%N and 57.5%S) from China @ €210/ton. We are selling it on @ €280. The quality is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dawggone wrote: »
    Fertiliser prices are a problem throughout Europe. The dogs on the street are aware of the fact that prices are being controlled by the manufacturers.
    Yara put some of their plants on a 3day week to wash out stocks from merchants yards.
    22 of us got together and brought in a boat of ASN (20.5%N and 57.5%S) from China @ €210/ton. We are selling it on @ €280. The quality is excellent.
    how much is on a boat d?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    how much is on a boat d?

I'm not exactly sure because I didn't organise it. I'm presuming it was about 5k tons because I was approached to lend/invest some money as they needed a Letter of Credit for a million. It didn't come directly from China, it was shipped from Cairo.

Why aren't the co-ops doing that ?
    How easy would it be for a few buyers groups to import a shipload in 500kg/1000kg bags - and ship it direct from the quayside

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Markcheese wrote: »
    How easy would it be for a few buyers groups to import a shipload in 500kg/1000kg bags - and ship it direct from the quayside

The coops might be doing this but sure aren't passing the savings on. I notice my local coop, ( a large well known coop) is constantly creeping up the price of anything farm related. Squeezing every last cent the can out. So this type of carry on, only leads to distrust in my books.

The coops might be doing this but sure aren't passing the savings on

Wrong. Try selling Chinese fertiliser to Irish/French farmers. The vast majority of the boatload has been bought by a blender...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Not when reps from certain large players hold their annual lunch at certain riverside hotel in the southeast in early April. I assume they're just marking out the fourball locations for the summer but you never know.

A local merchant here did it a couple of years ago. He got a phone call when his boat was less than half a day from port to say that there had been some problem and the port he had arranged to unload in could not allow him to land. Funnily enough they had no problems landing fert from one of the bigger players at any time. He got lucky in that the ship was relatively small and he got it into a much smaller port a couple of hours up the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

We're using phisolith. I think it's good any way. Alot more worm casts since we started using it and grass alot sweeter.

We spread out farm with it too which was grey last feb when we took it.
    Really helped it alot.
    What we did this yr was spread 2t lime /ac and a bag of phisolith. Ground needs 5t over there.
    On the last field I only had enough phisolith fir the headlands so we will see if there is any difference between ground that got phisolith and ground limestone and just ground limestone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

A local merchant here did it a couple of years ago. He got a phone call when his boat was less than half a day from port to say that there had been some problem and the port he had arranged to unload in could not allow him to land. Funnily enough they had no problems landing fert from one of the bigger players at any time. He got lucky in that the ship was relatively small and he got it into a much smaller port a couple of hours up the coast.

I heard a similar story, was it into New Ross/Waterford iirc?

Blackgrass wrote: »

Waterford. He had a good

Blackgrass wrote: »

Waterford. He had a good bit sold on so the story probably got around. He's tried the competition authority more than once but they say they can't get anything on the record from agribusiness and won't go further. Same merchant had a truck followed from Belfast port by a big fert rep a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Recently I wanted a few bags of beet pulp. I have picked up the habbit latly of ringing first for a price. Dairygold was 6.25/bag or 250/ton. I taught that was bad so I rang the local Kerry store to be quoted 8.75/bag:eek: or 350/ton. Courisoty got the better of me and I rang a few independent merchants and 6/bag was the cheapest. Now I only wanted 5 bags. But the Kerry price shocked me. I noticed it earlier in the year with Barley they were charging 250/ton as opposed to 200/ton from Dairygold.

I think Kerry agri are losing the plot. I see the same with fertliser they are in general more expensive than Dairygold or independent merchants. Now maybe they only want to deal with dairy farmers but I alway notice the que on a Saturday morning of lads lining up to get rode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

455 euro for 10-10-20
    410 euro for 18-6-12
    in Galway last week

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Recently I wanted a few bags of beet pulp. I have picked up the habbit latly of ringing first for a price. Dairygold was 6.25/bag or 250/ton. I taught that was bad so I rang the local Kerry store to be quoted 8.75/bag:eek: or 350/ton. Courisoty got the better of me and I rang a few independent merchants and 6/bag was the cheapest. Now I only wanted 5 bags. But the Kerry price shocked me. I noticed it earlier in the year with Barley they were charging 250/ton as opposed to 200/ton from Dairygold.

I think Kerry agri are losing the plot. I see the same with fertliser they are in general more expensive than Dairygold or independent merchants. Now maybe they only want to deal with dairy farmers but I alway notice the que on a Saturday morning of lads lining up to get rode.

kerry generally dearest for everything down here, feeds , fert ,bale wrap. even small independent retailers are beating them on price down here as far as i can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Now maybe they only want to deal with dairy farmers but I alway

This.

The company I work for were trying to get a new product listed in the kerry branches but no luck(there was a sheep on the front of it)

Advertisement