Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Deiseen

dzilla wrote: »
    .... sprung up in Wellingtonbridge while I wasn't looking.

You need to look at the bigger picture.  As a region rail connectivity for future freight and possible passanger routes from potential commuter towns like campile and wellington bridge need to have infrastructure ready to go, which it is. Its more important infrastrucuraly and for capital for the region than families going out and cycling a path and having a picnic and buying a cup of coffee along the way.

Don't get me wrong I love the greenway and I use it, its a great facility, but that doesn't make it right that there is no rail connectivity between Waterford -
    Cork and West Waterford which was unforgivable by previous governments.
    .... sprung up in Wellingtonbridge while I wasn't looking.

You need to look at the bigger picture.  As a region rail connectivity for future freight and possible passanger routes from potential commuter towns like campile and wellington bridge need to have infrastructure ready to go, which it is. Its more important infrastrucuraly and for capital for the region than families going out and cycling a path and having a picnic and buying a cup of coffee along the way.

Don't get me wrong I love the greenway and I use it, its a great facility, but that doesn't make it right that there is no rail connectivity between Waterford -
    You are dead right in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

I'm not sure if you own land near there ....

I'm not sure your sure about anything to be honest.

Freight can go to either Belview or Rosslare, it won't need to go between either.

I didn't suggest this, Rosslare goes onto Belview and onwards as the gateway to the west. If you remove the infrastructure you are cutting an artery to the west for infrastrucutre and other ports and cities.

You might not like that this is turning into a transport element but the concerns are very real.

Regarding potential commuter towns, you really do not need to be so sensationalist regarding the examples I am using, with expected population bursts over the next 50 years Waterford will not be able to continue to expand toward Dunmore east, with the new road bypassing New Ross it will make south county Wexford a desirable place for developers as it would be central to Waterford City and Wexford Town. As the crow flies the train line brings Waterford city close to south county wexford, I imagine land is cheaper there so it should be earmarked for development. Also before the service closed there was a demand for the service and it was used, it may not have been enough to make it sustainable, but that is not to say that it can be sustainable in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I didn't suggest this, Rosslare goes onto Belview and onwards as the gateway to the west. If you remove the infrastructure you are cutting an artery to the west for infrastrucutre and other ports and cities.

You might not like that this is turning into a transport element but the concerns are very real.

Regarding potential commuter towns, you really do not need to be so sensationalist regarding the examples I am using, with expected population bursts over the next 50 years Waterford will not be able to continue to expand toward Dunmore east, with the new road bypassing New Ross it will make south county Wexford a desirable place for developers as it would be central to Waterford City and Wexford Town. As the crow flies the train line brings Waterford city close to south county wexford, I imagine land is cheaper there so it should be earmarked for development. Also before the service closed there was a demand for the service and it was used, it may not have been enough to make it sustainable, but that is not to say that it can be sustainable in the future.
    A cycleway from Rosslare to Dungarvan and beyond would attract hundreds of thousands of tourists.
    Cannot see justification for the railway to be maintained based on speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Be great to see the red iron back open :)

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    A cycleway from Rosslare to Dungarvan and beyond would attract hundreds of thousands of tourists.
    Cannot see justification for the railway to be maintained based on speculation

Speculate to accumulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Speculate to accumulate.

If you were to put your own money into it in which form would you back.

Id go for tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Id go for tourism.

anyone in their right mind would.... considering the rail network already failed and was not making money

Id go for tourism.

I would go for Transport / connectivity and infrastructure.

Id go for tourism.

I would go for Transport / connectivity and infrastructure.

You can have both but considering the the rail line is already there then it should be kept.

Can anyone tell me why the West can have under performing rail lines reopened but the suffering South east cannot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote:
    Can anyone tell me why the West can have under performing rail lines reopened but the suffering South east cannot?

Surely political influence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Deiseen wrote: »
    You can have both but considering the the rail line is already there then it should be kept.

Same reason they have 24 Hr cardiac care and a university even though they have a smaller population in the region!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Which are likely to be closed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Be great to see the red iron back open :)

Won't happen because there's no need; 'old' greenway into town and pick up the 'new' greenway somewhere on the North Quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Because the West have professionalised milking the tit of the State.

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Because the West have professionalised milking the tit of the State.

Well they do it well in fairness.

What do we have? Kilkenny objecting to a game changing development for the city, that's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Same reason they have 24 Hr cardiac care and a university even though they have a smaller population in the region!

If Galway didn't have 24 hr cardiac care how long a journey would it be from Clifden say to the nearest centre that had?

As it happens I think Waterford should have it too as there can sadly be a delay in getting to Cork or Dub but Waterford is nearer more other large urban centres than Galway is so bit unfair to compare.

What line? Ennis Athenry? It happened in boomier times!
    The West does appear to have canny politicians alright, there's probably an emotional pull to "see them right" because of the years of neglect/ emigration/depopulation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Enough of this moaning! back on topic and the Greenway has won the Best Tourism Initiative in the All Ireland Community and Council Awards organised by Local Authorities Members Association and iPB Insurance

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/waterford-greenway-wins-tourism-prize-at-council-awards-1.3380418

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AviationUK

You need to look at the bigger picture. As a region rail connectivity for future freight and possible passanger routes from potential commuter towns like campile and wellington bridge need to have infrastructure ready to go, which it is. Its more important infrastrucuraly and for capital for the region than families going out and cycling a path and having a picnic and buying a cup of coffee along the way.

You'll work out how much those town need a commuter link by seeing how many buses per day they have to the major conurbations. The answer is not much - 4 buses a day. That equates to a single two car train. A railway would provide far too much capacity for the local villages and thus be uneconomical and eventually shut down, sounds familiar? Any freight comes through belview port, no need to reopen the line to Rosslare for freight as you'd just be adding an extra mode of transport to freights route and adding cost to the freight companies. I can't see Waterford wanting to lose business with freight either by sending it all via Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

AviationUK wrote: »
    You'll work out how much those town need a commuter link by seeing how many buses per day they have to the major conurbations. The answer is not much - 4 buses a day. That equates to a single two car train. A railway would provide far too much capacity for the local villages and thus be uneconomical and eventually shut down, sounds familiar? Any freight comes through belview port, no need to reopen the line to Rosslare for freight as you'd just be adding an extra mode of transport to freights route and adding cost to the freight companies. I can't see Waterford wanting to lose business with freight either by sending it all via Rosslare.

No eye on the future then?

Everything you've stated is clearly correct for right now. Looking to the future and taking all this hype of infrastructural investment and population increase, doubling the capacity of Waterford City, etc., etc. Shouldn't it be a case of putting actions behind the words and actually planing for the increase instead of the tail wagging the dog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 AviationUK

No eye on the future then?

Everything you've stated is clearly correct for right now. Looking to the future and taking all this hype of infrastructural investment and population increase, doubling the capacity of Waterford City, etc., etc. Shouldn't it be a case of putting actions behind the words and actually planing for the increase instead of the tail wagging the dog?

How far into the future are you looking? four buses is not going to turn in to twenty in ten years?

AviationUK wrote: »
    How far into the future are you looking? four buses is not going to turn in to twenty in ten years?

Isn't use all down to population, what was the timeframe the politicians had on doubling the population of Waterford City?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

This has probably been asked before. But how long does it take to cycle the greenway from Waterford to Dungarvan.

I know everyone has mixed ability. But just asking very high level , within +/- 30 minutes.

obi604 wrote: »
    This has probably been asked before. But how long does it take to cycle the greenway from Waterford to Dungarvan.

I know everyone has mixed ability. But just asking very high level , within +/- 30 minutes.

As it is a mixed walking and cycling pathway fast paces on a bike are not achievable or advisable. A sports cyclist told it is very annoying as there are so many obstacles on the pathway that it's not easy to maintain any meaningful pace for any length of time.

So cycling would be at a very leisurely pace, the entire length would probably take 3 hours plus.

As it is a mixed walking and cycling pathway fast paces on a bike are not achievable or advisable. A sports cyclist told it is very annoying as there are so many obstacles on the pathway that it's not easy to maintain any meaningful pace for any length of time.

So cycling would be at a very leisurely pace, the entire length would probably take 3 hours plus.

Thanks. When you say entire length I presume you mean one way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

This. The busy sections (Carraiganore-Kilmeaden, around Kilmacthomas, and O'Mahoneys pub to Dungarvan) you can often barely exceed walking pace. I'm my experience the only bit where you can usually get up a bit of speed as it's quieter and had good long sight lines, is between Mahon Bridge N25 crossing and O'Mahoneys, but yes, count on at least 3 hours each way. You want to go fast and challenge yourself? Take the coast road from Tramore via Bunmahon and Stradbally

Hi

I see there seems to be 2 websites

1. http://www.deisegreenway.com/
    2. https://waterfordgreenway.com/

Are they both more a less the same thing or is one official and another kind of unofficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The second one is an ad for the bike hire company.

looksee wrote: »
    The second one is an ad for the bike hire company.

oops, d'oh, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It seems odd to me that the two names were not protected by registering both.

In addition I see that
    deisegreenway.ie
    waterfordgreenway.ie
    go to the bike rental :(

Someone made a mess of things :(

Advertisement