Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I see in this week's n&s that mayor John Hearne wants horses to be allowed on green way...what a bloody stupid idea or even thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Max Powers wrote: »
    wants horses to be allowed on green way...
    Yay!
    Sulky races on Greenway!
    That's what we want!
    Sure it'll bring more visitors in!

beazee wrote: »
    Yay!
    Sulky races on Greenway!
    That's what we want!
    Sure it'll bring more visitors in!

Exactly, its f-ing stupidity of the highest order, what next, motorbikes , there will be no walkers if this is not managed well and the likes of horses and motorbikes kept off it, and of course John Hearne cop on to himself.
    Thankfully, normal sensible people who drove this from the communities along the route started the green way will i presume put this nonsense in the box of stupid ideas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see in this week's n&s that mayor John Hearne wants horses to be allowed on green way...what a bloody stupid idea or even thing to say.

Awful idea, they'll be horse **** all over the place.
    It's bad enough dog **** already,

Also we'll end up with sulky races, even as it is we could end up with sulky races!

Cabaal wrote: »
    Awful idea, they'll be horse **** all over the place.
    It's bad enough dog **** already,

Also we'll end up with sulky races, even as it is we could end up with sulky races!

This is why we can't have nice things :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Is Adam Wyse not the Mayor of Waterford?

jelutong wrote: »

There is two at the moment :D

jelutong wrote: »
    Mayor of Waterford (City and County Council)

John Hearne is Mayor of Metropolitan District (Waterford & Tramore)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not a good idea to have bicycles whizzing past horses either. What a jackass to even suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

lertsnim wrote: »
    Not a good idea to have bicycles whizzing past horses either. What a jackass to even suggest it.

So are you suggesting its a better idea to have cars whizzing past horses on the main road?

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    So are you suggesting its a better idea to have cars whizzing past horses on the main road?

Where did I suggest that? No mention of cars or road in my post.

Where did I suggest that? No mention of cars or road in my post.

OK so I'll suggest it. A horse and rider on the Greenway is a horse and rider that is not exposed to motor traffic on the road. In just the same way a cyclist on the Greenway is a cyclist not exposed to motor traffic on the road. What makes having a safe place the ride the right of cyclists and not of horse riders.

What makes having a safe place the ride the right of cyclists and not of horse riders.

I never suggested that either. Anything else you would like to pull out of your arse?

I never suggested that either. Anything else you would like to pull out of your arse?

That was a question sorry I missed out the question mark but I'll put it another way, if you don't think they should be on the Greenway then where else do you think they can go?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I can see it now....

Chape spin to the schmoke boss, only a euro ta gey hin da trap an 50 ta gey how....:P

I'll take 4 sonny......:D

That was a question sorry I missed out the question mark but I'll put it another way, if you don't think they should be on the Greenway then where else do you think they can go?

3 cents, if you want to be a contrarian, you need to give some decent argument related to the topic not just silly different for sake of different point of view.a blind person can see not just safety problems mixing the main users of the greenway: pedestrians, wheelchair users, kids, families, older people and cyclists with horses and carts in a narrow area like the greenway.cop on.

OK so I'll suggest it. A horse and rider on the Greenway is a horse and rider that is not exposed to motor traffic on the road. In just the same way a cyclist on the Greenway is a cyclist not exposed to motor traffic on the road. What makes having a safe place the ride the right of cyclists and not of horse riders.

bikes dont do knee sized dumps :pac:

3 cents, if you want to be a contrarian, you need to give some decent argument related to the topic not just silly different for sake of different point of view.a blind person can see not just safety problems mixing the main users of the greenway: pedestrians, wheelchair users, kids, families, older people and cyclists with horses and carts in a narrow area like the greenway.cop on.

Safety is a perfectly good argument. If it could be proved that having horses on the Greenway could save accidents on the roads then it would be reprehensible of the coco not to allow horses.

I'm not suggesting horses and carts but as its not easy to create a simple access system that excludes a horse and rider while allowing kids buggies wheel chairs and the bikes with trailers that have become very popular.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bikes don't react unpredictable when dogs are near, they don't bolt and don't continue when the rider has dismounted, bikes don't **** on the greenway, bikes are not likely to act in a unpredictable manner that could lead to death of small children out walking.

Remember, the greenway is narrow in places, so large horse passing a man or women with a dog don't have alot of distance

Safety is a perfectly good argument. If it could be proved that having horses on the Greenway could save accidents on the roads then it would be reprehensible of the coco not to allow horses.

I'm not suggesting horses and carts but as its not easy to create a simple access system that excludes a horse and rider while allowing kids buggies wheel chairs and the bikes with trailers that have become very popular.

Ok, let's start,
    In the past 10 years how many horse related traffic accidents have happened in Waterford. How many resulted in a death?
    I'm not aware of any in the media myself.

The green way can be narrow in places, you're suggesting putting horses in closer proximity to people/cyclists/dogs then would normally occur on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

Ok, let's start,
    In the past 10 years how many horse related traffic accidents dents have happened in Waterford. How many resulted in a death?

The green way can be narrow in places, you're suggesting putting horses in closer proximity to people/cyclists/dogs then would normally occur on a regular basis.

Thanks cabaal, saved us the trouble.let that be the end of the ridiculous horse silly talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyway...a bit of good news from the council
    " **UPDATE**
    30 August 2016
    Waterford City & County Council is pleased to announce that a substantial section of the Waterford Greenway will open for use from the 23rd September 2016 between Dungarvan (Causeway) and Kilmacthomas (Workhouse).
    Members of the public should be aware that, from time to time, minor construction works may need to be carried out on this section of the Greenway – however advance notice will be given on social media and on the Greenway website at www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com. Information on car parks and access points will be made available in time for the September opening of that section.
    Work on the remaining section from Kilmacthomas to Waterford City will continue with a view to opening for use in the near future. Updates will be posted on social media and on the Greenway website.
    The official ‘ribbon cutting’ opening will take place in Spring 2017 to coincide with the launch of the tourism season. Queries to waterfordgreenway@waterfordcouncil.ie "

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Ok, let's start,
    In the past 10 years how many horse related traffic accidents have happened in Waterford. How many resulted in a death?

I can think of 1 in 2011, which resulted in the death of the driver.

... react unpredictable when dogs are near, they don't bolt and don't continue when the rider has dismounted

Imagine the horse getting hit by the train...

Free running dogs are enough of the issue already.

beazee wrote: »
    Imagine the horse getting hit by the train...

Free running dogs are enough of the issue already.

Can see it now, free running dogs running after a horse. Yeah, thats not going to end will at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I read the very small piece in the paper about this and the mayor was at an event for Stonehaven Equestrian centre when he said it but i dont think he was talking about leaving anyone with a horse on it,what i got from it he was on about having guided tours on horseback which does sound nice and all,but horses dogs cyclists runners all on the same small track is just a recipe for disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Classic of it's type - thank goodness he wasn't at the Waterford Freewheelers AGM then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

In fairness the horses wouldn't be using the tarmac. I'd imagine it's probably the area at the other side of the track. You should also keep in mind that the equestrian centre had used the old railway for donkeys years prior to the greenway so I can see how their ability to trek has been limited now. In a way, they probably almost had some rights to it as they've been using it so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Lots of horses where I live in Dublin: sulkies, carriages, etc. The horses don't pay a blind bit of notice when I cycle past them; I'll often cycle alongside the carriage they're pulling and chat to the driver and passengers. Relax! Life isn't so full of horror and danger as it seems from inside a car!

• Advertisement

The above 2 didn't visit or grasp that the greenway is a old railway line. so it is quite narrow, no flat side verges for most part etc. Makes their points irrelevant.

Advertisement