Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

walked through one of the underpasses today. well impressed. still a good bit of excavation work to be done in the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fermoycailin

Anyone know how flat the track is please? Planning to go on it, and would like to understand difficulty rating, and whether or not to bring kids on it. Couldn't find anything on the website. Planning to go from Clonea towards Lemybrien. From what I can see Dungarvan to Clonea looks very flat.
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Anyone know how flat the track is please? Planning to go on it, and would like to understand difficulty rating, and whether or not to bring kids on it. Couldn't find anything on the website. Planning to go from Clonea towards Lemybrien. From what I can see Dungarvan to Clonea looks very flat.
    Thanks in advance.

As far as I can make out it is flat (or as close as possible) all the way. Perfect for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Anyone know how flat the track is please?
    After Dungarvan, we got up to about 40-45 on the level -- I missed the exact speed. On the bank up to Durrow, 3 miles at gradients varying between 1/60 and 1/80, we fell to 25 1/2, but recovered to 27. We did 46 on the short drop through Durrow, fell to 25 on a mile at 1/66, got up to 43 on half-a-mile down at the same inclination, and only fell to 23 on the 1 3/4 miles at 1/75 - 1/66 to the summit at MP57. On the following downhill length, speed was kept down to 30-35 on account of the curves; at Kilmacthomas, at the bottom of the bank, we were doing just 30, and then only fell to 26 on 1/2 mile each of 1/80 and 1/66, followed by 1 1/4 m at 1/76, which was not at all bad. Down into Waterford we ran extremely cautiously on the curves, hardly touching 40mph.
    http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20164/164%20RailwayReview.htm
    Leaving Dungarvan the line curves slightly and crosses the public road at Abbeyside by a remarkable level crossing. Three gates are required to close across the road for the line crosses it on a skew but curving - undoubtedly the widest single track level crossing in the country. Skirting the sea for a stretch - scene of the recent floods described elsewhere in this issue - the line enters on one of its picturesque sections as, with Clonea Strand on the south, it climbs for almost three miles to its first summit at Durrow with grades of 1 in 71. The approach is very impressive involving the high four span Ballyvolie Viaduct. The present structure dates from 1923, the previous one having been destroyed in the “Troubles”. Beyond is a short tunnel and the two platform Durrow & Stradbally station. More climbing at 1 in 66 - the ruling gradient - to MP 75 summit follows and splendid views of the Comeragh mountains are to be had on the down side. Kilmacthomas is in a dip and the last climb before Waterford, to MP 63 summit, brings the train on to the winding steep down grade, over many level crossings, through Carroll’s Cross and Kilmeaden to the South bank of the river Suir which is followed closely for 3½ miles. At Grace Dieu Junction the old WD&LR line to Waterford South diverges. It is now a siding to the factory of Waterford Ironfounders Ltd.
    http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/IRFN/IRFN0802.pdf
    Being a former railway, the gradient will be extremely close to flat for its entire length.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98838383&postcount=171

Extremely or not, I much prefer Tunnel towards Dungravan bit (doing barely any pedalling) than the other way around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Thanks in advance.
    It's a railway track so fairly flat, fine for kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

From Dungarvan out to the Tunnel I have heard a few people (holiday cyclists) complain that its up hill all the way. Its a very very shallow gradient but it is still up hill, however that section is all good quality tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

my3cents wrote: »
    From Dungarvan out to the Tunnel I have heard a few people (holiday cyclists) complain that its up hill all the way. Its a very very shallow gradient but it is still up hill, however that section is all good quality tarmac.
    Approximately 70m of a rise from the Causeway to Ballyvoyle Tunnel.

There's a few ups over bridges and downs through underpasses, but overall 70m of a rise over approximately 7km is very good and very child friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The bridge at Kilmac just been put in place,there really is some work gone into this well done to everyone involved

13726719_1639734793011624_2122006345975816972_n.jpg?oh=df6688db7cfcf7519f5855f594051779&oe=582BFCA3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The bridge at Kilmac just been put in place,there really is some work gone into this well done to everyone involved

13726719_1639734793011624_2122006345975816972_n.jpg?oh=df6688db7cfcf7519f5855f594051779&oe=582BFCA3

Agree 100%, impressive looking foot bridge to keep people away from roads, this is definitely shaping up to be most user friendly green way in country.promotion now,2 big signs on the bridge stating Waterford green way ideal so every car on n25 sees it good idea.we need to promote it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

You can call it whatever you like but you said it's not a greenway so I'm just wondering what you think a greenway is ?

Something a bit more environmentally friendly, you could hardly call 30 miles of tarmacadam, thousands of tons of imported ballast, thousands of tons of concrete, etc, as being environmentally friendly, so maybe it should be called the Blackway instead.

Anyone viewing this from the start will see how this has developed, the specification for works and finishes seems to be fluidic and if a comparison is made from the first sketches of the proposal to what is there now, the difference could likened to that between a boreen and a motorway.

MY GOD! Will you ever shut up, people like you give me a fecking headache.

I suppose even if it was just a dirt track carved out by one man with a machete then it still couldn't be called a greenway because bikes will be on it and they are made of metal and have rubber tires. Nothing about this world is environmentally friendly! Have a look at all the things you do that impact the environment and then have a moan inside your own head before coming on here And hating on something that is actually a positive for the area and the people that use it.

• Advertisement

A few more pics of the bridge from facebook

13770379_292207641134194_3102020719213877213_n.jpg?oh=cf17224c40d0e265bf372390139b64ee&oe=57EE08E2

13700231_292207631134195_5800885211895715251_n.jpg?oh=2767c911be4517bbb8a237e6d861704d&oe=5835A940

13700173_292207721134186_2838297496650002496_n.jpg?oh=1f7bedf8e222ef5df7f4a17379ad452a&oe=5822DAFA

https://www.facebook.com/greenwaywaterford/?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That is one impressive foot bridge!

Great to see it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Fantastic progress all along the greenway. Lot of work still to be done between Kilmeaden and Waterford, hopefully it will be open before the summer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's a pity the houses at the other side of the little bridge were built in Bilberry. It would have been great to have the Kilmeaden train run down to the bridge or thereabouts. The greenway the same. I've seen a lot of people walk along that Bilberry road to go to the greenway and it's treacherous!

Beeker wrote: »
    Fantastic progress all along the greenway. Lot of work still to be done between Kilmeaden and Waterford, hopefully it will be open before the summer is over.

I walk that section everyday and its slow progress with the bridges,maybe once they are finished with the Kilmac bridge and underpasses they will focus more on that part,im still trying to figure out what they are doing with the big bridge just before the train station.

I ask a guy from the council out there one day would the lane down from mount congreve be opened as a car park he said that it wasnt but there was one opening at carriganore that would have a cafe etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Something a bit more environmentally friendly, you could hardly call 30 miles of tarmacadam, thousands of tons of imported ballast, thousands of tons of concrete, etc, as being environmentally friendly, so maybe it should be called the Blackway instead.

If they had a mud track the entire way you'd have idiot people making all sorts of claims, don't blame the greenway, blame the avg joe in this country and the compensation culture we've created.

If a women can make a claim for falling on a wooden walkway on a mountain, then somebody would sure as hell make a claim on the greenway if it was a mud track.

The construction of the greenway is suitable and inline with other greenways as well, its long lasting and in the long term this means alot less maintenance and its suitable for strollers, road bikes etc. Falling hazards are also greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Can anyone tell me if its tarmacadam or loose gravel. Wanna walk part of it but my youngest can't cycle and wanna bring his scooter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

You'll find tarmac only on the Dungarvan - past the Ballyvoile Tunnel section.

All the other sections (if completed) are stone chippings with tar.

OK for scooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Bilberry section is tarmac as far as I can remember

I agree completely with what you are saying, just making a point on the terminology being used.
    Cabaal wrote: »

If they had a mud track the entire way you'd have idiot people making all sorts of claims, don't blame the greenway, blame the avg joe in this country and the compensation culture we've created.

If a women can make a claim for falling on a wooden walkway on a mountain, then somebody would sure as hell make a claim on the greenway if it was a mud track.

The construction of the greenway is suitable and inline with other greenways as well, its long lasting and in the long term this means alot less maintenance and its suitable for strollers, road bikes etc. Falling hazards are also greatly reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

debok wrote: »
    Bilberry section is tarmac as far as I can remember

There is 3km of tarmac on the billberry side so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Apologies if answered already, don't want to go through 32 pages of replies.
    Where do I start/park on the Dungarvan side?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

thomasm wrote: »
    Apologies if answered already, don't want to go through 32 pages of replies.
    Where do I start/park on the Dungarvan side?

Good place to park is by the Causeway tennis club and you will find the start of the greenway nearby. Many people go about 3 miles out to the Clonea roundabout where there is dedicated parking and start from there but it is a shame to miss the 3 miles from Dungarvan to Clonea which is very beautiful.

O Riain wrote: »
    MY GOD! Will you ever shut up, people like you give me a fecking headache.

I suppose even if it was just a dirt track carved out by one man with a machete then it still couldn't be called a greenway because bikes will be on it and they are made of metal and have rubber tires. Nothing about this world is environmentally friendly! Have a look at all the things you do that impact the environment and then have a moan inside your own head before coming on here And hating on something that is actually a positive for the area and the people that use it.

If you feel up to it you should read the posts leading up to the one you quoted instead of picking out one post and lambasting it. Nobody on this thread is against the old railway line being used as a walkway/cycle path, all we've ever said is that if it was being done it should be done correctly, and it certainly has been. But what's in place now is not what was originally planned, which as it happens is a big plus. This is a great piece of infrastructure for the county as a whole and long may it be used in the spirit it is intended, who knows maybe I'll meet you on it one day.

Take a couple of Aspirin for that headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This looks like a fantastic project. Well done Waterford.

I'm in Dublin, and would like to walk this in a few stages over a few days, to see the countryside of Waterford! However, the information out there about the route, the length, infrastructure (rest stops, cafes, b+b etc.) is non existent. I suppose business owners are waiting until the entire route is finished before committing.

Using Google maps and the N25 it looks to be about 40kms is that near enough?

So, I wonder if it's finished yet? I was going to go in mid September, so where is the best source of information about the route, where the access points are and so on.

Thanks, you are on the ground so to speak, so might have more information!

BTW the Deise Greenway website is there I know, but I'd say they are still catching up with information themselves!

This looks like a fantastic project. Well done Waterford.

I'm in Dublin, and would like to walk this in a few stages over a few days, to see the countryside of Waterford! However, the information out there about the route, the length, infrastructure (rest stops, cafes, b+b etc.) is non existent. I suppose business owners are waiting until the entire route is finished before committing.

Using Google maps and the N25 it looks to be about 40kms is that near enough?

So, I wonder if it's finished yet? I was going to go in mid September, so where is the best source of information about the route, where the access points are and so on.

Thanks, you are on the ground so to speak, so might have more information!

BTW the Deise Greenway website is there I know, but I'd say they are still catching up with information themselves!

Yes there isnt much info about it yet because most parts are still building sites,its supposed to be finished by the end of this month but i walk on one section everyday and i dont think it will be done by then mid September maybe.

You're probably better to look for accommodation in Dungarvan and work from there,i havent been on that part yet but i think the section from there to Durrow is completed and open,altogether the greenway is 48kms i believe.

There is many different facebook pages for the route so look them up thats probably where you will get the most up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes there isnt much info about it yet because most parts are still building sites,its supposed to be finished by the end of this month but i walk on one section everyday and i dont think it will be done by then mid September maybe.

You're probably better to look for accommodation in Dungarvan and work from there,i havent been on that part yet but i think the section from there to Durrow is completed and open,altogether the greenway is 48kms i believe.

There is many different facebook pages for the route so look them up thats probably where you will get the most up to date info.

Thanks, it's early days yet but it looks great, and I'm looking forward to walking it when it's ready for action!

This is an example of a good website along the lines of the information that many visitors will be looking for. It's part of the Dublin-Galway greenway between Athlone and Mullingar. If Waterford isn't ready in time, I'll do this first.

http://www.athlone.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/OldRailTrailLeaflet_A3-DL-Inside.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

Hi all, sorry for our absence on Boards, our volunteer crew is being tested to the limit with all the emails, Facebook comments and queries etc...a great complaint!

From what we understand, the Waterford Greenway website is in development and will have tonnes of useful greenway-related info...this will be at least as good as any other greenway website in Ireland. This is a council-driven project, as outsiders we were hoping the website would've been well finished by now but that's another story.

Our own website, originally built to drive the greenway campaign, is www.deisegreenway.com. Because it was built for a different purpose, we won't be adding tourist info to it.

There are two key Facebook pages:
    Waterford Council's
    Our campaign group's

Between them, all the news is covered.

The total length of the route will be 45km. Dungarvan to Durrow (approx 11km) is available to cycle although not officially open and care should be taken, especially with young kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm prepared to be shot down here but am I the only one to think that what looks like it is (or is going to be) the bicycle hire place in Dungarvan is in a very poor location? It might be OK for getting business but from the point of view of safety I'm not impressed with the idea of people renting a bike and starting out by the roundabout on the bridge. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The bicycle hire across from the post office in Abbeyside? The Greenway is across the road from the bike hire. I wasn't aware of a bicycle hire at the bridge.

Advertisement