Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

lertsnim wrote: »
    The bicycle hire across from the post office in Abbeyside? The Greenway is across the road from the bike hire. I wasn't aware of a bicycle hire at the bridge.

Bike trailers lined up along the bridge side of the nightclub and bar which is almost on the bridge (on the town side).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

my3cents wrote: »
    Bike trailers lined up along the bridge side of the nightclub and bar which is almost on the bridge (on the town side).

Saw some activity with bikes and vans around the old vets clinic at the bridge last week. That wouldnt be a great location. It has been operating out of the old "Stables" bar in Abbeyside......will have a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

cornerboy wrote: »
    Saw some activity with bikes and vans around the old vets clinic at the bridge last week. That wouldnt be a great location. It has been operating out of the old "Stables" bar in Abbeyside......will have a closer look.

The official one is definitely in Abbeyside, short walk from the traffic lights and straight on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Roanmore wrote: »
    The official one is definitely in Abbeyside, short walk from the traffic lights and straight on the track.

Yes......the Abbeyside location still has a big sign over the door and has been all painted and done up. My guess is they may have stored the bikes over at the bridge premises while doing refurbishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A second business maybe?

Competition is good.

Isn't there access beside Shandon Printers (on the Park Hotel Side of the Council Civic Offices Building) which would be on a pathway from the bridge to the Greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Does anybody know when the footpath from where the green-way starts in Gracedieu in the city to Grattan Quay will be done? I know Grattan Quay is to be the start/end of the green-way and a footpath is planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

It was on news and star this week bout grattan quay. They have to still sort out the planning for it. They want to make the bilberry road one way for traffic to allow half the road to be used by the greenway.

debok wrote: »
    It was on news and star this week bout grattan quay. They have to still sort out the planning for it. They want to make the bilberry road one way for traffic to allow half the road to be used by the greenway.

I was talking about the other end at Dungarvan, Davitts Quay, you had me worried there for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

debok wrote: »

I think it is fair to say it won’t be anytime soon then. Could be a lot of objections. Residences in the Gracedieu area, which is a lot now, won’t like Bilberry being made one-way.

Definitely a bike hire shop opened up in the roundabout/bridge side of Waves/Murphys. Guy there having his picture taken with a bike in the entrance and later he was stopping the traffic to allow a family with bikes cross the road at the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Donal Jacob is opening a shop in Grattan Quay when the Greenway Opens. He runs Greenway WAterford Bike Hire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

One of the greenways facebook pages said that it probably wont be fully open now until early next year,and maybe Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas will be open in September.

I was out there this morning and a truck was delivering another 2 bridges and the construction company were moving things into place,if you go out to the mount congreve section they now have what looks like all the bridges and all is needed is too put them together ,that part is still a long way off being finished but you would think it would be done before the end of year,i think maybe another month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭JMcL

One of the greenways facebook pages said that it probably wont be fully open now until early next year,and maybe Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas will be open in September.

I was out there this morning and a truck was delivering another 2 bridges and the construction company were moving things into place,if you go out to the mount congreve section they now have what looks like all the bridges and all is needed is too put them together ,that part is still a long way off being finished but you would think it would be done before the end of year,i think maybe another month or two.

I wouldn't think it'd take a huge amount of time to complete regarding putting the last bridges in place, surfacing etc. I'm guessing that'll wait until the train stops running for safety (though if it's tar and chip doesn't this mean it needs to be done in warmer weather?) The other issue that'll need sorted on the Carraiganore-Kilmeaden stretch is retaining the banks as there's been a fair amount of slippage in a few sections, but again, I'd guess this is in the pipeline and not a huge issue.

JMcL wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it'd take a huge amount of time to complete regarding putting the last bridges in place, surfacing etc. I'm guessing that'll wait until the train stops running for safety (though if it's tar and chip doesn't this mean it needs to be done in warmer weather?) The other issue that'll need sorted on the Carraiganore-Kilmeaden stretch is retaining the banks as there's been a fair amount of slippage in a few sections, but again, I'd guess this is in the pipeline and not a huge issue.

Yeah i dont think it will take too much time to complete the two remaining bridges ,all the pieces look to be there so now its just to put them in place and resurfacing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JMcL wrote:

I don't think there's much more if any tarmac going in from now on. Remainder of sections will probably be covered in chips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

From what I can see there is still a fair bit of work to be done around Kilmeaden with the overall surface and bridges and also around the Railway Station. Looking forward to the finish and using it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was on a short stretch near Durrow last weekend and the old railway tunnel is great, very attractive. Quite a lot of people out, even though the weather was not great.

Im going out for a cycle tomorrow around Waterford so is the Greenway open now to the public?

Im going out for a cycle tomorrow around Waterford so is the Greenway open now to the public?

its officially not open or complete, but many sections are being currently used and are extremely impressive. just be careful, some sections are not really suitable for cycling just yet but it sounds like most of it is.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its officially not open or complete, but many sections are being currently used and are extremely impressive. just be careful, some sections are not really suitable for cycling just yet but it sounds like most of it is.

Sweet :)

Is the entrance just past bilberry there is it?

• Advertisement

Sweet :)

Is the entrance just past bilberry there is it?

there are entry points at bilberry, wit carriganore, mount congreve nurseries, kilmeaden(suir valley railway), carrolls cross, kilmacthomas, mcgraths cross, durrow, clonea road and dungarvan.

sections of the greenway are probably still impassable. i havent been on the section from bilberry to kilmeaden in a while, a part of it wasnt passable by bike but ive been informed it is now. i suspect kilmeaden to lemybrien is impassable or thereabouts but i could be wrong. i cyclied lemybrien to durrow few weeks ago, its fantastic and was almost complete. i believe durrow to dungarvan is more or less done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aKevinonearth

I was on the greenway a few weeks ago. At the time just passed Kilmeaden it came to a complete stop with no sign of any progress or even any progress being possible. Apparently there is a land owner there still holding out.
    The greenway was meant to have been all done by now but from what I saw it will be early next year at the very earliest, if at all, by the time it will be fully done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bilberry is only paved for about a kilometer. I cycled to Mount Congreve a few weeks ago but the surface is not great in parts - plenty of sharp stones and gravel. I had a road bike with gatorskins and struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Bilberry is only paved for about a kilometer. I cycled to Mount Congreve a few weeks ago but the surface is not great in parts - plenty of sharp stones and gravel. I had a road bike with gatorskins and struggled.

That's because that section is not yet finished. There's 4km of tarmac down between Bilberry and Carriganore, the other 5km or so to Kilmeaden is a building site. Finishing this section is not straightforward so we need to be patient...there are 4 bridges to be widened, world famous gardens to tiptoe around, a special area of conservation to protect, an ancient city buried nearby and there's a live train in the peak of its season.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

I was on the greenway a few weeks ago. At the time just passed Kilmeaden it came to a complete stop with no sign of any progress or even any progress being possible. Apparently there is a land owner there still holding out.
    The greenway was meant to have been all done by now but from what I saw it will be early next year at the very earliest, if at all, by the time it will be fully done?

The greenway will be finished Kevin and very soon. In just 3 years, it's gone from our campaign to near-completion. Keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aKevinonearth

I sincerely hope so. I hope that land owners do not delay it by much more
    The greenway will be finished Kevin and very soon. In just 3 years, it's gone from our campaign to near-completion. Keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

there are entry points at bilberry, wit carriganore, mount congreve nurseries,

As for the WIT Carriganore - you may call it entry point if you're after jumping two gates on both sides of the N25 fly-over.

beazee wrote:
    As for the WIT Carriganore - you may call it entry point if you're after jumping two gates on both sides of the N25 fly-over.

Is there any entry point at all there or one being created? Suppose to be one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

WIT Carriganore site, view towards Greenway / Railway tracks / Suir river:
    7wljBJu.jpg

• Advertisement

Is there any entry point at all there or one being created? Suppose to be one

I was talking to a guy working for the council down there one morning and he said as far as he knows there will be an entrance there with a cafe etc

The greenway side after that bridge would look great with all the grass cut and some picnic tables,very nice views of the river from there.

Advertisement