Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Junior wrote: »
    It's one bridge as far as I know.

Would be interested to know what they are doing at the old Kildermody level crossing, certainly doesn't look like they are building a bridge there.

Underpass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

my3cents wrote: »
    Would be interested to know what they are doing at the old Kildermody level crossing, certainly doesn't look like they are building a bridge there.

Underpass?

Same as McGraths Cross I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Junior wrote: »
    Same as McGraths Cross I believe.

Going in the 1st July til 4th July. Road will be fully closed off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

That explains the diversion signs I've seen. God help anyone taking the diversion route. Looks like turn off at Haughton's and up to Knockaderry (not the lake), then over to Ballyduff and back to the N25. Gonna be murder for HGVs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Some stage in August, I know that one of the guys offering the bike hire on the greenway has been given a guarantee that it will be 100 OPEN by mid August, the fact that they've used the term open seems to indicate that it may not be totally finished by then thou, although they may just be covering themselves.

They have to cover themselves -- imagine if they said x date for sure and people planned business or book time off around it, and then there was a delay with a vital bridge or underpass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Looks like a bridge there. Although the works are not as advanced as they are at McGrath's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Does anybody know when the final works between mt congrieve and kilmeaden access points will be completed? I'm waiting for it to be completed to use it to commute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

NLC1072 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the final works between mt congrieve and kilmeaden access points will be completed? I'm waiting for it to be completed to use it to commute!

Would like to know this too i was out that way over the weekend and there is still a lot of work to be done including a bridge,i walked as far as the suir valley train station does the walkway pass through there do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Would like to know this too i was out that way over the weekend and there is still a lot of work to be done including a bridge,i walked as far as the suir valley train station does the walkway pass through there do you know?

Goes past it and all the way to dungarvan. Stunning views. Been a year since I've walked it though so I've no idea at what stage work is along the way. Lads are working at a fair pace though

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Goes past it and all the way to dungarvan. Stunning views. Been a year since I've walked it though so I've no idea at what stage work is along the way. Lads are working at a fair pace though

Can you get onto it in Kilmeaden?

• Advertisement

Can you get onto it in Kilmeaden?

yea you can jump on at the suir valley railway but be aware, ive no clue at what stage work is from there on. they had only cut back the ditches when i walked it last year. i had to negotiate all sorts of fencing and obstacles but they could be gone at this stage. i would imagine they still have sections blocked off for safety reasons as the lads work on it. you could always walk around these blockages as i had to but that can be tricky as well. i wouldnt bring the bike as you ll have to probably climb over stuff, as i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Just walked from durrow station few km up to the coast. Great stretch to walk. Tunnel looks unreal just lit up enough any more lights and it would lose the atmosphere.cant compliment the place enough

did the bridge just outside kilmac go up over the weekend? was this the reason why the road was closed off over the weekend?

did the bridge just outside kilmac go up over the weekend? was this the reason why the road was closed off over the weekend?

It was closed to put in the underpass at Kildermody

This Friday 1st July 2016 will see the Underpass at Kildermody on the N25 be laid in position.
    The Kildermody section of the N25 road will be closed for the whole week end.
    From 7pm on Friday 1st July until 7am on Monday 4th July 2016, to facilitate the construction of the underpass at Kildermody, Co. Waterford as part of the Waterford Greenway project.
    Road to be closed: the N25 at Kildermody.
    Alternative Routes:
    • Traffic travelling towards Waterford along the N25
    will be diverted onto the L4022 at Carrolls Cross.
    Diversion route will be via the L4022, the L4029
    and R680.
    • Traffic travelling towards Cork will be diverted onto
    the R680 at R680/N25 Kilmeaden Roundabout.
    Diversion route will be via the R680, the L4029
    and L4022.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Chiparus wrote: »
    Slow down, enjoy the view, and politely say to the walkers "grand day isn't it"
    They are not a menace , I cycled it , average speed 13.6kmph , no issues with walkers, kids on bikes, people with dogs. Everyone enjoying themselves.

I didn't mention speeding or not enjoying the views, the views are great and i do say excuse me. What I'm saying and has its been mentioned that everyone using it has to be aware of others and take responsibility for their actions and that includes potentially blocking peoples way and possibly causing an accident due to undue care and attention.
    I've been on it a few times not speeding and have had a few close calls even when they see me coming. I think one potential black spot is the tunnel even if you have lights on and stick to the cycle side some walkers even coming at you wont move so you have to go around them and with many wearing dark clothes it makes them harder to see.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    As for dog walkers with long leads being lethal , I have not heard of anyone being killed in such a way. I am pretty sure it would have garnered media attention if such a thing did happen.

dog walker story was settled out of court, he wasn't killed but got a fractured skull etc. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3334849/Cyclist-successfully-sues-dog-owner-65-000-suffering-injuries-including-fractured-skull-bike-got-entangled-pet-s-lead.html

what sections of the greenway are now accessible to bikes and are there any possible camping sites along or near the route? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

what sections of the greenway are now accessible to bikes and are there any possible camping sites along or near the route? thank you

Dungarvan up to Lemybrien is accessible and Waterford to Mount Congrieve is also accessible, then there are short finished sections in between if you fancy taking a detour around some local roads. Camping wise, I haven't seen anywhere for camping, however if you have a small hiking tent you could probably get away with wild camping near the Comeraghs

NLC1072 wrote:
    Dungarvan up to Lemybrien is accessible and Waterford to Mount Congrieve is also accessible, then there are short finished sections in between if you fancy taking a detour around some local roads. Camping wise, I haven't seen anywhere for camping, however if you have a small hiking tent you could probably get away with wild camping near the Comeraghs

Thank you very much, but I'm looking for camping that would suit kids as well, at least they 'll be able to get some cycling in

Thank you very much, but I'm looking for camping that would suit kids as well, at least they 'll be able to get some cycling in

Would this help http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/waterford/caseys-caravan-and-camping-park ? Its right by a cycle track that connects to the Tarmac Way (sorry can't bring myself to call 30 odd miles of tarmac a greenway) but I'm not sure about how easy it is to get a pitch there? It always looks very busy peak season in good weather. Also cycle way all the way into Dungarvan.

my3cents wrote:
    Would this help

That certainly is an idea, thank you

• Advertisement

Would this help http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/waterford/caseys-caravan-and-camping-park ? Its right by a cycle track that connects to the Tarmac Way (sorry can't bring myself to call 30 odd miles of tarmac a greenway) but I'm not sure about how easy it is to get a pitch there? It always looks very busy peak season in good weather. Also cycle way all the way into Dungarvan.

What would you call a greenway then?

What would you call a greenway then?

I still call it what I always have called it - the old railway track.

I still call it what I always have called it - the old railway track.

You can call it whatever you like but you said it's not a greenway so I'm just wondering what you think a greenway is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You can call it whatever you like but you said it's not a greenway so I'm just wondering what you think a greenway is ?

Something a bit more environmentally friendly, you could hardly call 30 miles of tarmacadam, thousands of tons of imported ballast, thousands of tons of concrete, etc, as being environmentally friendly, so maybe it should be called the Blackway instead.

Anyone viewing this from the start will see how this has developed, the specification for works and finishes seems to be fluidic and if a comparison is made from the first sketches of the proposal to what is there now, the difference could likened to that between a boreen and a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Solution: paint the tarmac with an environmentally friendly green paint.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I passed the N25 at Kilmac this morning after 7am at where the greenway crosses over, 3 trucks were parked in hard shoulder with the bridge parts.

Is it getting installed today?
    Thought it not til next Friday evening\Saturday morning?

STIG83 wrote: »
    I passed the N25 at Kilmac this morning after 7am at where the greenway crosses over, 3 trucks were parked in hard shoulder with the bridge parts.

Is it getting installed today?
    Thought it not til next Friday evening\Saturday morning?

ah im sure it ll be put in when its due to be put in. im sure its just delivery of the bridge. theres probably a good bit of preparation work to be done to it before installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd have thought the name was inspired by the nature of the countryside it passes through - much more verdant and treelined than the N25. That and the fact you can't drive a car down it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'd have thought the name was inspired by the nature of the countryside it passes through - much more verdant and treelined than the N25. That and the fact you can't drive a car down it :)

That's exactly it. Also, nice use of the word verdant.

Advertisement