Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

ec18 wrote: »
    sorry I know the full freenway isn't finished yet......how far from bilberry does it go?.....but how far does it go from bilberry?

Only 4 km sealed path, from then on there are a lot of works going on with widening of bridges . I could go another 5 km or so, just past MT Congrieve.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chiparus wrote: »
    Only 4 km sealed path, from then on there are a lot of works going on with widening of bridges . I could go another 5 km or so, just past MT Congrieve.

I did a run of a section of it a few weeks back, this is as far as I got from Billberry to just passed Mt Congrieve as they had a bridge sealed off and were working on that section.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1145318086

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I walked to the Kilmeaden station from Bilberry last week. Parts are rough with stone etc and they are working on sections but you could go all the way to Dungarvan if you don't mind a bit of a challenge. Its not open yet and I'm sure the people working on it would not be happy with people getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are they planning one of these to New Ross too? I heard someone mention it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JohnC. wrote: »

They are, but its in the very early stages and like all things people are objecting to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cabaal wrote: »
    They are, but its in the very early stages and like all things people are objecting to it

One objection that must be gone at this stage is the bridge. No one upstream any longer that needs to get ships under the old railway bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JohnC. wrote: »

tried to walk it last year from new ross to waterford. it was impassable so walked it via the roads. lovely views. will be nice if/when its done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Are they planning on putting marking on the ground like lanes one side for walkers and the other for cyclists. Just saying many walkers put in ear phones or walk 3 /4 abreast are a menace and dog walkers with the long leads are lethal. Don't want to see another Phoenix park incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE radio are featuring this on Morning Ireland tomorrow

spookwoman wrote: »
    Are they planning on putting marking on the ground like lanes one side for walkers and the other for cyclists. Just saying many walkers put in ear phones or walk 3 /4 abreast are a menace and dog walkers with the long leads are lethal. Don't want to see another Phoenix park incident

They do in Dungarvan approaching junctions, but to be honest this is not suitable for speeds above 20kmh. The phoenix park thing was a pedestrian in a cycle lane, this is a shared path with toddlers , dogs, runners etc.

• Advertisement

They do in Dungarvan approaching junctions, but to be honest this is not suitable for speeds above 20kmh. The phoenix park thing was a pedestrian in a cycle lane, this is a shared path with toddlers , dogs, runners etc.
    Ever come off a bike at any speed? can do a lot of damage and all it takes is to hit your head and not everyone wears a helmet. I have cycled in Dungarvan and have to say was a nightmare with the above and when you try to move them they look at you as if you are in the wrong.

Ever come off a bike at any speed? can do a lot of damage and all it takes is to hit your head and not everyone wears a helmet. I have cycled in Dungarvan and have to say was a nightmare with the above and when you try to move them they look at you as if you are in the wrong.

Why are you in the right?

my3cents wrote: »
    Why are you in the right?
    If i'm on the cycle side i should think i'm very much in the right, remember like a car a cyclists also needs stopping distance. It's also common curtsy to stick to your own side of the path and if you do venture to the cycle lane be aware of your surroundings. I'm sure you wouldn't/don't like it when cyclists cycle or pedestrians walk down the middle of the road blocking your way. :p

Cycled it on Sunday and Monday, there were 4 year olds on bikes, which lane should they use? Their parents were on foot, some were on bikes.

I would suggest you stay clear of the cycleway - I feel you would be disappointed.

Cycled it on Sunday and Monday, there were 4 year olds on bikes, which lane should they use? Their parents were on foot, some were on bikes.

I would suggest you stay clear of the cycleway - I feel you would be disappointed.

Did you read my post?

"Just saying many walkers put in ear phones or walk 3/4 abreast are a menace and dog walkers with the long leads are lethal."

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

The Ballyvoile tunnell is now lit so its more inviting. Very nicely done by putting lights in the recesses which are located every 25yds or so.

If i'm on the cycle side i should think i'm very much in the right, remember like a car a cyclists also needs stopping distance. It's also common curtsy to stick to your own side of the path and if you do venture to the cycle lane be aware of your surroundings. I'm sure you wouldn't/don't like it when cyclists cycle or pedestrians walk down the middle of the road blocking your way. :p

If you want rules then you can cycle on the road. When you are cycling on what is no more than a pavement with kids, prams, dogs etc its your turn to give way.

Which side btw is my side when I'm driving down the road and there is a cyclist in my way? No it doesn't work that way on the road so don't expect it to work that way on the greenway.

Did you read my post?

"Just saying many walkers put in ear phones or walk 3/4 abreast are a menace and dog walkers with the long leads are lethal."

Slow down, enjoy the view, and politely say to the walkers "grand day isn't it"
    They are not a menace , I cycled it , average speed 13.6kmph , no issues with walkers, kids on bikes, people with dogs. Everyone enjoying themselves.

As for dog walkers with long leads being lethal , I have not heard of anyone being killed in such a way. I am pretty sure it would have garnered media attention if such a thing did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

I have both walked and cycled on the Greenway from Dungarvan and it is a walking and cycling path so people have got to be aware that there can be an element of danger. The risk can be reduced if everyone is aware of it. In someways it is not suited to cycling only because there are walkers. No matter how slowly the cyclists go they will have to pass walkers and here lies the danger. Cyclists must slow when approaching walkers and make them aware they are passing. Walkers must be aware that they will encounter cyclists and allow sufficient space. There is a duty of care on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You can't legislate for stupidity...
    cornerboy wrote: »
    There is a duty of care on both sides.

That's as simple as it gets, as my granny used to say when I was going to get her a loaf of bread, 'walk on the right side and stay in by the fence...'

Maybe if we all got on together by looking out for ourselves and our own wellbeing, without being forced to with rules, that bit of tolerance might translate to the public roads as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Why is this turning into a blame game and right of way issue. Ffs can people be happy we have such a great facility here in Waterford which anyone can use. Cycle, Walk, Run, Stroll who cares let's just enjoy it. If we didn't have people would be giving out now we do and here we are having arguments over non issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flinchwhip

In terms of a family cycle from Dungarvan to Durrow are there any cafes shops around midpoint where the kids can get a motivational treat? Not going till August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

You can't legislate for stupidity...

That's as simple as it gets, as my granny used to say when I was going to get her a loaf of bread, 'walk on the right side and stay in by the fence...'

Maybe if we all got on together by looking out for ourselves and our own wellbeing, without being forced to with rules, that bit of tolerance might translate to the public roads as well...

Tom,
    This is Ireland,a substantial portion of the population with zero civic pride or duty or manners will break the rules any chance they get. Saying please be sensible and considerate doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭muloc

any idea when this will be completely finished?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

muloc wrote: »
    any idea when this will be completely finished?

Some stage in August, I know that one of the guys offering the bike hire on the greenway has been given a guarantee that it will be 100 OPEN by mid August, the fact that they've used the term open seems to indicate that it may not be totally finished by then thou, although they may just be covering themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭muloc

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Some stage in August, I know that one of the guys offering the bike hire on the greenway has been given a guarantee that it will be 100 OPEN by mid August, the fact that they've used the term open seems to indicate that it may not be totally finished by then thou, although they may just be covering themselves.

cheers...will wait till then

muloc wrote: »
    cheers...will wait till then

Don't wait that long, at the current rate of use the Dungarvan Durrow stretch it will be worn out by then :D

Aquos76 wrote: »

They have to put in two bridges over the n25 yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

They have to put in two bridges over the n25 yet.

It's one bridge as far as I know.

Advertisement