Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

was on 120MB BB TV max and some unused phone package.

Contract up in 2 weeks.

Rang referenced SKY offer

Said no chance of getting the 9mths at 40 3mths at 80 deal on 12mth contract,
    offered 4mths 1/2 price

after pushing 6mths for 40 then 6mths at 80 or 85 (not sure) for 240MB broadand and horizon HD Max. Hoping wifi range improves but have to call back in 2 weeks when off contract.

He said he had this deal noted on my account.

Anyone think I could squeeze a bit more out of it?

Hadn't heard about nor received notification of increase in price. Makes me consider cancelling the contract altogether as they are such a pile of C***s to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

scamalert wrote: »
    whats the best way to deal with VM to get discount is it 1908 number,or online is same,since seems a lot struggle spending hour or so on the phone on a call center with another continent.

Call the loyalty line directly on 061 272190

Contract up in 2 weeks.

offered 4mths 1/2 price

after pushing 6mths for 40 then 6mths at 80 or 85 (not sure) for 240MB broadand and horizon HD Max. Hoping wifi range improves but have to call back in 2 weeks when off contract.

Hadn't heard about nor received notification of increase in price. Makes me consider cancelling the contract altogether as they are such a pile of C***s to deal with.

Yeah I was on the same package and got the 9 months half price. Keep calling back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Contract up in 2 weeks.

offered 4mths 1/2 price

They certainly are. If you cancel make sure you do so in writing and get a reference number for it. I cAncelled a year ago and when I rang them they reckon I owe them arrears for all the months I had no service from them. Sticking with any other provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

scamalert wrote: »
    whats the best way to deal with VM to get discount is it 1908 number,or online is same,since seems a lot struggle spending hour or so on the phone on a call center with another continent.

Call 1908 go to sales and say you want to cancel your account.
    Then they'll put you through to the loyalty dept, tell them that your moving to sky as it'll cost 588 a year, your happy with the package you don't want an upgrade its purely the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Contract up in 2 weeks.

offered 4mths 1/2 price

the best way to sort your wireless is get a wifi router and not use the horizon box, my wifi speeds went from 35-40mb to 150mb last night by just using a tp link router

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Cyrus wrote: »
    the best way to sort your wireless is get a wifi router and not use the horizon box, my wifi speeds went from 35-40mb to 150mb last night by just using a tp link router

@cyrus,

do you have to ring up VM to tell them to turn off wifi on horizon box or can it be done through settings? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

All you folks getting the 9 month half price offer.....were you on the 6 month half price offer the past year?

jay0109 wrote: »
    All you folks getting the 9 month half price offer.....were you on the 6 month half price offer the past year?

yes, i was

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

So guys, what's the best offer that I can get for broadband and maybe phone (not necessary) from Virginia media as my contact is just up

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    @cyrus,

do you have to ring up VM to tell them to turn off wifi on horizon box or can it be done through settings? Thanks

no it can be done through the settings (i think its 192.168.192.1) but only if your wifi free is disabled, i have requested that but its still not off,

so i have disabled the 5ghz band only on the horizon box, but while its suboptimal that there are two connections being broadcast it still doesnt stop me using the router

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

I rang up the other day saying I wasnt happy with the €5 increase, managed to get them down from 540 to 400 a year for the 120/10 broadband only. So its €20 for 4 months, €40 for 8 months.

Linky for router? I'm looking to extend wifi so looking for a good router/access point 802.11ac possibly

ando wrote: »
    I rang up the other day saying I wasnt happy with the €5 increase, managed to get them down from 540 to 400 a year for the 120/10 broadband only. So its €20 for 4 months, €40 for 8 months.

Linky for router? I'm looking to extend wifi so looking for a good router/access point 802.11ac possibly

this lad

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/27/wirecutter-the-best-wifi-router-for-most-people/

jay0109 wrote: »

Yeah I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I was on the 6month deal from July to December 15. Most they will give me now is another 6 months and that is after he 'escalated' it to a manager when he would only give me 4 months.
    I said 'a mate' in work is getting 9 months and why am I being treated differently but he wasn't having any of it. Said that is the most they will give me.

beanian wrote: »
    I was on the 6month deal from July to December 15. Most they will give me now is another 6 months and that is after he 'escalated' it to a manager when he would only give me 4 months.
    I said 'a mate' in work is getting 9 months and why am I being treated differently but he wasn't having any of it. Said that is the most they will give me.

as i said before referring to what someone else got doesnt seem to work

tell him you have a flyer from sky offering a similar service for 49 a month for 12 months and that you are cancelling and going to this package.

they will go back and forth and eventually you say, if i got 9 months at half price the annual cost would be close enough for me not to cancel

normally thats when you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Rang to cancel (get an offer). Paying €45 for 240mb with anytime mobiles. Was put through to the loyalty team. Said sky were doing everything for €49. Didn't make me an offer to stay. Just gave me the cancellation email. So much for loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

So rang VM and their call centre in a busy market in Godknowswhereistan.

Was on the 45 for 240 mb package.

30 mins later settled for a 12 month (from today) contract 4 months @ 25 then 8 months @ 50.

So under old scheme cost would have been 540, under new contract cost - 500.
    Could have gotten vodafone for a lot less but not sure how good the phone line is as its currently not connected so no way to check.

Next time I will just get the cheaper system in in advance of cancelling the VM - its just too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I just got the 9 months at half price deal for Horizon Max, 240Mbps broadband and home phone (which I don't use).

As has been said, I just kept referring to the Sky €49 per month offer. His first offer was 6 months half price, which comes to €765 and I said I wanted to proceed to cancellation anyway as Sky comes to around €600 for a year. He then went to "consult his supervisor" before coming back with the 9 months half price offer. So one 30 minute phone call saves about €400.

It's a 12 month contract and just to confirm, I had the 6 months half-price deal last year as well.

Apparently the first bill will look higher as part of it will be under the old deal, and they're also moving to charging in advance, but over the course of the contract it will save money so it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I rang up and got the 4 months jibe. Thinking of switching TV to sky and keeping VM for broadband as i can only get 7mbs with sky in my appartment. We have a torrid time with the upc boxes. Gone through around 4 of them and the one currently keeps losing its signal and kicking ppl off. So what box did you get externally? And was it hard to get working?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I rang up and got the 4 months jibe. Thinking of switching TV to sky and keeping VM for broadband as i can only get 7mbs with sky in my appartment. We have a torrid time with the upc boxes. Gone through around 4 of them and the one currently keeps losing its signal and kicking ppl off. So what box did you get externally? And was it hard to get working?

I bought a Asus RT-68u and turned off the wifi on the upc box. Easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Seems to be the earlier you make the call the greater the chance of 9 months 1/2 price. Recall this being they way last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

If you avail of a discounted offer is the contract period 18 months rather than the usual 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WAZZER25

got 9 months half price his morning was previously on same deal last year. After 15 mins waiting on hold finally got through to rewards dept. chap tried to tell me if i cancelled while still under contract i would have to pay 200e fee. Explained to him the email and the contract terms on a price increase and questioned him as to why he was misinforming me about the right to cancel and if he was telling other customers the same blatant lies, and why i should have to tell him the terms. Was put on hold for a few mins then came back with the same 9 months half price deal but also tried to offer me an upgrade of broadband speed for an extra fee. Wondering if he was just misinformed or if they are they hoping customers will hear of the cancellation fee and leave contract as is.

Páid wrote: »
    If you avail of a discounted offer is the contract period 18 months rather than the usual 12 months?

I asked rep on phone and he said it was 12months...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Rang today as my deal is nearly up. Got offered 6 months at 25 and 6 at 50 for the 240 bb and phone package I'm on. That was the best he would give me. Asked about getting the new 360 modem to use on the 240 package but he said that it wouldn't work with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Rang today as my deal is nearly up. Got offered 6 months at 25 and 6 at 50 for the 240 bb and phone package I'm on. That was the best he would give me. Asked about getting the new 360 modem to use on the 240 package but he said that it wouldn't work with it?

Ah Balls. I settled for 4 months at 25 and 8 at 50. I should have pushed a bit more but I'd already been on hold for so long it was driving me mental!

41.66 per month isn't too bad as I was threatening them with going to Eir and I really didn't want to do that as I hear their speeds are woeful.

Ah Balls. I settled for 4 months at 25 and 8 at 50. I should have pushed a bit more but I'd already been on hold for so long it was driving me mental!

41.66 per month isn't too bad as I was threatening them with going to Eir and I really didn't want to do that as I hear their speeds are woeful.

You have 14 days cooling off period, maybe worth a try to ring back and agree another deal.
    Cooling Off Period:
    When you purchase services from Virgin Media through our website or by telesales you have the right to cancel your contract without any reason and without penalty within 14 days from the day of the conclusion of your contract, the delivery of your equipment or activation of your services, whichever is the later, under the EU (Consumer Info, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013. To exercise this right to cancel you can complete our online form at virginmedia.ie/webcancellationform/, contact us by post at PO Box 11419, Blackrock, Co Dublin or call our customer care team on 1908 within the 14 day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭madscone

just got 9 months half price, was on the 6month half price deal which was up this month so worked out pretty well. 12 month contract, even upgraded the phone to include mobile calls in the Rep too. bout 20 mins on hold tho, no managers asked or that, she offered 6 months half price, i said no sky are doing it for 49 she then offered 9 months. As straight a phone call as i've ever had with em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I rang and didn't get what i wanted (9 months half price broadband) so told them i wanted to cancel, i rang back straight away and got the offer i wanted.

Advertisement