Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Just got 9 months half price for my in laws. It took me 2 minutes. My Sky sales pitch must be getting better :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

OnLooker wrote: »
    Just got 9 months half price for my in laws. It took me 2 minutes. My Sky sales pitch must be getting better :D:D

I Just off the phone myself. I was on 120mb & home phone 40 a month.
    She offered me 240mb & home phone (with free mobile calls) 55 a month. Half price for 9 months.

really wasn't expecting 27.50 for 9 months :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Tilikum wrote: »
    I Just off the phone myself. I was on 120mb & home phone 40 a month.
    She offered me 240mb & home phone (with free mobile calls) 55 a month. Half price for 9 months.

really wasn't expecting 27.50 for 9 months :eek:

Did you get the mobile world offer then? What did you tell them to get this offer? Did you quote an offer from a different operator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Just got off the phone with them too. I don't need mobile call so only went for unlimitted landline calls and 240mb for 50 Euros a month. Half price for the first 9 months for a total of 375 Euros a year. I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Rang this morning.

240mbs, Mobile World, and Max HDTV @ €85 previously.
    First offered 15 off for 6 months, laughed to myself, and respectively declined.
    Took the 2nd offer of 6 months half price, 6 months full whack, inclusive of the price increase. 245 saving, including the price hike. Not a bad days work. 12 months contract as well. Wondering what I would've gotten with the 3rd offer now..... :pac:

In a nutshell, 9 months half price on a 12 month contract.
    But you still made a decent saving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Amouar wrote: »
    Did you get the mobile world offer then? What did you tell them to get this offer? Did you quote an offer from a different operator?

I think so yes. Basically I rang quoting a lad above, as in the offer he was given as he was previously on the same package as me. She said give me a minute and I'll see if I can give you a better offer. She notice that nearly all my auld lad's calls were to my two sister mobiles. She offered 6 months first & to be honest I was gonna take it no probs. But I kept asking her for the email address that I need to cancel. She said ' are you crazy, you still want to cancel with that offer' Ha!! Then she said I'll give you 9 months half price. She was doing everything she could to not give me the email address to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm on 240mb with all calls free including mobiles. Are they actually removing the free mobile calls from this package while increasing the price cos that's what it looks like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Anyone knows if the price increase is for the full package. So If you are getting 50% discount the hike would be half of what is mentioned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi guys,

We have the unlimited BB 120mb, phone with the unlimited calls, and max tv with HD and multiroom viewing. Comes in around €95 per month.

What number do you guys ring to get these cancellation deals?

Also, what do you say to them when you're on the phone?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We have the unlimited BB 120mb, phone with the unlimited calls, and max tv with HD and multiroom viewing. Comes in around €95 per month.

What number do you guys ring to get these cancellation deals?

Also, what do you say to them when you're on the phone?

Thanks in advance.

You can get them through the 1908 number and they'll forward you to loyalty, but there's a direct line to the loyalty too, if you wish.
    Say that you've been looking around and have found better deals from other providers - what you are paying now is too high and you're thinking of cancelling. Don't accept anything that you don't want and you can always tell them that you'll think about it if you're not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ran back virgin media to cancel the tv and just get broadband. Quoted the 9 months half price that a lot of people i know are getting and said i wanted that and pushed them so they agreed straight away to 9 months half price horizon max(55 channels more) and 360mb broadband with a new free router and setanta free for 2 months for a 12 month contract.

First time i rang i didnt push for anything just said internet was crap. Told them i was cancelling the tv and they started throwing deals. Gave the 9 months as soon as i mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sarn wrote: »
    I wish you luck. I am now five months on after being offered a similar discount which never materialised. Five months of incorrect bills and the offer was not honoured. Only managed to get it for one month.

I was already on a discounted rate when I called to cancel. Quoted the competing Eircom offer at the time. Pushed it and eventually got a very good discount. It was applied the first month. Next bill jumped up. I was told that a discount could not be applied to an already discounted price and they increased my base package price by €20 and then applied the discount. As a result I was then paying the same amount over 12 months as I was already paying for a sub standard 120 Mb TV and phone pack except now locked into a 12 month contract. That is, paying the same as a full Horizon package without Horizon. Couldn't get around them. In the end I upgraded to a Horizon box, 240 Mb, better TV pack and phone for €40 for 4 months and two months free. Every bill to date has been wrong. No doubt this months will be as well.
    I thought after you writing this I would check.
    So did via chat.
    They are now saying offer was 15 euro for 6 months then 40 euro for 6 months (when the person on call said 30 euro - I made her repeat it about 5 times). So apparently they have to listen to the call and get back to me. Just as well I took a note of the time and date and number I called...so we will see....nothing was ever easy with UPC so not sure why I am expecting any difference with Virgin Media (they seem to have same dodgy call centres in the Philippines - " Thank you for patiently waiting" - If I hear that once more!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I got through quick enough this morning, pushed really hard for the 9 months, I said straight up that was what I was after because I had a friend who got it. Eventually was told no they couldn't do it anymore and the most I could get was 40% discount for six months with upgrade on broadband speed. I said no to that and she left me go.

Edit to say my bill is over 100 for my tv and bb each month so it's quite high to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Quick question guys, currently paying €45 euro a month for the 240MB limitless package with mobile (never use). This is going to be increased to €50 going on the email I received from VM.

If I ring the Loyalty Dept (061 272190, right?) what is the best deal I should be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

sillysocks wrote: »
    I got through quick enough this morning, pushed really hard for the 9 months, I said straight up that was what I was after because I had a friend who got it. Eventually was told no they couldn't do it anymore and the most I could get was 40% discount for six months with upgrade on broadband speed. I said no to that and she left me go.

Edit to say my bill is over 100 for my tv and bb each month so it's quite high to start with.

Ring back tomorrow. Mentions sky have a better deal and you want to move the tv to them and maybe the BB. They pushed horizon max and 360 for me for the 9 months so that might be their max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Ring back tomorrow. Mentions sky have a better deal and you want to move the tv to them and maybe the BB. They pushed horizon max and 360 for me for the 9 months so that might be their max.

Yeah I'll ring back again and see. Did you already have Horizon? We don't and didn't really want to change, she did ask was I interested in horizon but I said no. BB upgrade was only up to 240 I was offered. She was adamant from the start of the call that 9 month offer didn't exist, then she said it was over, and at last step she did go to a supervisor but said no when she came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Are people getting these deals before their contract is up? I rang last May and got half price deal for 6 months but this was up in November. I'm still on contract til next May. Is it worth ringing ? Sky and Eir deals at the moment are much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes, some are ringing trying to get a better deal while getting the upgrade to the 360Mb broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

loup wrote: »
    Are people getting these deals before their contract is up? I rang last May and got half price deal for 6 months but this was up in November. I'm still on contract til next May. Is it worth ringing ? Sky and Eir deals at the moment are much cheaper!
    Yes, if you have received an email outlining a price increase you are entitled to renegotiate contract or cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

I was offered 4 months with €45 off. Asked if they would call me back today and they said if they had time they would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

loup wrote: »

As above, yes. If they change the contract, it's void unless you accept it within 30 days.

I literally just got off the phone with Loyalty Dept. I am on the 240mb plus anytime calls to irish landlines and mobiles and the 400 mins to 22 countries. I was paying €45pm and it was going up to €50. My contract was til April.

So, I told them I wasn't satisfied with the price increase yada yada yada and I pointed out the their online offer of 4 months halp price would actually be more expensive than the current price I am paying (though the BB would be faster). I told him that their TV was too expensive and that I went with SKY last year (a little white lie...I use an android box as I don't watch TV much).

The guy offered me 4 months half price :rolleyes:

I said that people on boards were getting 6-9 months half price and 4 months half price was not good enough. I said he could cut my speed to 20mb if he wanted, but I wasn't accepting 4 months half price, which was a saving of €100 off the €600 I would be paying.

He offered me 4 months half price (€25). The next 2 at €45 and the next 6 at full price. That was only an extra €10 off. I said that was no good.

I said I would not be too cheeky by asking for 9 months off, so if they wanted me to stay put, I would accept 6 months half price and nothing less. So that is €450. I got what I asked for :)

Result!

However, I don't like that they are now using a different call centre. They guy was not easy to understand.

Note: If they had of left my contract alone, I would have paid €540 for the year. By changing it, I am now paying €450, a loss of €90 to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Pizzle wrote: »
    Quick question guys, currently paying €45 euro a month for the 240MB limitless package with mobile (never use). This is going to be increased to €50 going on the email I received from VM.

If I ring the Loyalty Dept (061 272190, right?) what is the best deal I should be looking for?
    At a minimum you should expect to aim for €25 for 4 months and €45 for 8 months €360 for the year, that's what most have gotten so far for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your advice, I was on to them and very happy with the result.

I rang up telling them I wanted to cancel my whole package, move to sky etc. I've been on Horizon + 120mb + phone for 75 per month. I came out of contract this month.

After much haggling, I've accepted a new 12 month contract as follows:

Horizon TV (basic HD package)
    240mb broadband
    Mobile world phone package
    2 months Setanta Sports - free

9 months half price (€40), 3 months full price (€80). Works out at €50 per month overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I'm paying 90 a month for the 240mb, horizon max. Probably getting calls but don't even have a landline.

240mb my ass as I'd be lucky to get over 40mb on wireless and even with the hardline plugged in I'd barely get 100mb.

Contract runs out in April. Any advice on how to proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm paying 90 a month for the 240mb, horizon max. Probably getting calls but don't even have a landline.

240mb my ass as I'd be lucky to get over 40mb on wireless and even with the hardline plugged in I'd barely get 100mb.

Contract runs out in April. Any advice on how to proceed?

Ring Loyalty Dept on number above.

Tell them what you have just told us about the hard wire speed. Tell them the phone is just added and not used, so you get no value from it. Tell them you know others are getting 9 months half price. Don't accept any less than 6 months half price. Stay totally calm. I used a very boring tone so the guy didn't want to keep me long on the phone. Its probably why I got what I wanted so quickly. Less than 10 minutes on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Just got notification of increase in charges! just the ammunition I need now to get a discount or cancel without fees :: Happy days thanks Virgin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Just off the phone with them.

Currently running a $hity package that has travelled with me since way back when of the UPC deals.
    TV - Select extra, BB - 120MB, home phone (don't know, don't care of what I have with that)
    Right now I pay 80 yoyos per month, so €960 per year.

Bill increase of 5 euro so would be €1020 per year.

First offer - €5 euro off BB per month for 4 months. €20 savings. I laughed down the phone, he laughed down the phone and moved on.
    Second offer - €15 euro off for 4 months. Total of €930 Per Year. I quoted Sky - €588 to him.
    Third offer - half price for 4 months. €860 per year. Again I said no and quoted Boards@9months.
    Fourth offer - six months half price. €780 per year. Again I said no.

He went on and on about Sky broadband being useless bla bla bla. I said it wasn't about that, it was about the money.

Finally ended up with the cancelation email address - cancel@virginmedia.ie

ok got virgin on the ropes, they want me to give someone's name who has virgin media for 9 months half price - I said Really, Privcy laws must protect against me having anything to do with their account!!! So who will pm me their details.

still on hold. can you believe this, now they want name, account number and password I laughed and said I want to speak to the supervisor, I really don't think they understand what they are asking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

ok got virgin on the ropes, they want me to give someone's name who has virgin media for 9 months half price - I said Really, Privcy laws must protect against me having anything to do with their account!!! So who will pm me their details.

Nobody unless they are pure stupid.

Advertisement