Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Was on BB and phone anytime world for 40 a month. Got it for 1/2 price for 6 months then full price for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

jay0109 wrote: »
    On €88 Horizon Max, 240mb BB and phone (never use) for the past year at 6 mths half price and 6 months full price.
    Contacted them a few times over the last couple of weeks now as I'm about to enter my final month...they refuse to give me anything other than a downgrade with a new price of €70 per month. They keep mentioning that I got the half price offer last year.

Mentioned the 9 month offer that people are getting here and they didn't acknowledge it.

Don't know what I did to annoy them after 15 years straight as a customer but the cancellation email will be going to them first thing Monday

I tried too and got what you did. Let us know if you get anything after cancellation email

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I tried too and got what you did. Let us know if you get anything after cancellation email

just reference the sky 49 a month deal

not what anyone else has got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Did any one have a better offer for bb and standard phone? I will be paying 35 Euros starting from March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Pretended to cancel sports so they gave me 20% off thank god they didn't call my bluff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Was on to them and talking to an agent for an hour.

Got no where, they were looking to tie me into a new contract to downgrade my account.

I was trying to downgrade to phone and broadband.

Shocking call. took an hour and no further on. I will try to contact them on the forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Called them today late afternoon. They started with giving 15euro off for for first 6 month, then 4 month half price. I kept asking for 9months free saying I know lot of people have got them. He kept on saying the deal was there only till Monday.

I wasn't convinced and as others have suggested kept giving Sky price. After 45 minutes or so wasnt going anywhere. Finally he said that he will talk to the supervisor. He came up with offering 6 months at half price then 6 month at full price. This is for €85 bundle - TV, Broadband & Phone (which I never use).

After spending so much time, lost my patience and accepted 6 month half price. Not ecstatic but satisfied.

For others benefit I wasn't on any deal last year and was paying €80. Got €5 increase mail like others.

I guess if you were not on any deal last year, there's a good chance you will get something. Dont delay your call though else you may hear the deal was only there till such and such date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

** Double post **

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

Was urs a 12 month or 18 month contract ? And the new one u are saying is with all services retained . Including the horizon tv package
    ?
    Am in a similar position and my contract is ending soon . Just got an email saying the amount will be increased by fiver but will it be 30 or 90 I don't know
    gmisk wrote: »
    I was on 24.99 per month for another 7 months....then 85 euro per months for another 6 months (120mb normal tv package).
    Rang after I got increase email, on phone for about 35 minutes polite but firm, and made it clear I would be leaving.

Now on 15 euro! for next 6 months then the following 6 months 30 euro per month, and thats the end of contract, delighted!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Currently on the 240mb BB and anytime world phone I think, €45pm got email about €5 extra, I rang them asking what do I get in return for this price increase, confirmed I get nothing extra. They tried to offer me a TV deal ok, but I don't want to use Virgin as my TV supplier, currently on a 9 month deal with Sky for my TV. Anyway I explained that their wifi speeds are terrible across the board, I got the usual oh but "what speeds do you get wired"

I tried to explain that most people don't have capabilities to use their services wired and that its was disgraceful that this was their constant response when people ask why their speeds via wifi are so awful.

In the end, I was offered one of their new 360mb modem free of charge on my current 240mb package, he assured me that this new modem would vastly improve my wifi speeds. I haven't accept his offer yet, wanted to do a bit more research before I'd accepted or not. I don't see the point in going for the 360mb packages when I've only one computer in the house that's actually capable of getting anywhere close to 360mb wired tbh. All other devices are on wireless or home plugs in the case of the kids Xbox Ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Was urs a 12 month or 18 month contract ? And the new one u are saying is with all services retained . Including the horizon tv package
    ?
    Am in a similar position and my contract is ending soon . Just got an email saying the amount will be increased by fiver but will it be 30 or 90 I don't know
    I was about 5 months into an 18 month contract. Yep all services retained, I got her to repeat that a few times. I still had about 7 months left at 25/30, then 85 for 6 months so delighted. I would get onto them definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Cyrus wrote: »
    just reference the sky 49 a month deal

not what anyone else has got

Oh, I referenced it. But to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

gmisk wrote: »
    I was on 24.99 per month for another 7 months....then 85 euro per months for another 6 months (120mb normal tv package).
    Rang after I got increase email, on phone for about 35 minutes polite but firm, and made it clear I would be leaving.

Now on 15 euro! for next 6 months then the following 6 months 30 euro per month, and thats the end of contract, delighted!

That's a nice price.

I wonder if I could get the same offer, but with phone instead of tv.

I will try again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Got an email to say my monthly bill is going up by 8 from March........
    I have everything with them at the moment so will ring to see what they will offer but not too optimistic.
    Seriously looking at switching all to Eir for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I'm on 220mb with phone for €45 (was €25 for first 6mths) contract up in Aug but because of the €5 increase I can cancel .
    Can anyone tell me what best I can expect to get if I ring them might be ? Don't want 18mths if I can help it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Amouar wrote: »
    That's a nice price.

I wonder if I could get the same offer, but with phone instead of tv.

I will try again today.
    That includes house phone too (which I dont use)

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Just got the 9 months half price. I phoned up last night and they would only give me 4 months half price so I chanced my arm again today.

They will try to slate the sky service. I said I live near a new exchange so the speeds (80-90MB) are very good as my neighbors have it as well.:D I kept quoting "I can get Sky for €588 for the year. What can you do to keep him."

I'm quite happy because I'm just coming off a 6 months half price which was up in Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

is anyone getting any confirmations in writing/email ?

is anyone getting any confirmations in writing/email ?

Nope but you should see it in your account when the updates go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Currently on the 240mb BB and anytime world phone I think, €45pm got email about €5 extra, I rang them asking what do I get in return for this price increase, confirmed I get nothing extra. They tried to offer me a TV deal ok, but I don't want to use Virgin as my TV supplier, currently on a 9 month deal with Sky for my TV. Anyway I explained that their wifi speeds are terrible across the board, I got the usual oh but "what speeds do you get wired"

I tried to explain that most people don't have capabilities to use their services wired and that its was disgraceful that this was their constant response when people ask why their speeds via wifi are so awful.

In the end, I was offered one of their new 360mb modem free of charge on my current 240mb package, he assured me that this new modem would vastly improve my wifi speeds. I haven't accept his offer yet, wanted to do a bit more research before I'd accepted or not. I don't see the point in going for the 360mb packages when I've only one computer in the house that's actually capable of getting anywhere close to 360mb wired tbh. All other devices are on wireless or home plugs in the case of the kids Xbox Ones.

Its a weapons race. To leverage those sort of speeds you need a AC wireless router (eg Asus RT-AC66U) and wireless AC usb cards (these can work in usb 2 and usb3 slots). You can also get AV1000 TP-link homeplugs but they tend to be pricey and massive and don't mix well with AV500 ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

shardylan wrote: »
    I'm on 220mb with phone for €45 (was €25 for first 6mths) contract up in Aug but because of the €5 increase I can cancel .
    Can anyone tell me what best I can expect to get if I ring them might be ? Don't want 18mths if I can help it
    We are on the same (as are others here), €45 going to €50, and were offered the following by the very first person we spoke to, I'm guessing in an overseas call centre:

€20 off the broadband part of the package for the next four months
    €5 off the home phone part for the next six months

So a total savings of €110, compared to the increase of €5/mo or €60 over the course of the year. I guess we could have pushed harder, but that's available from the very first person you speak to. Have this day next year in my diary to ring up and cancel!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

ionapaul wrote: »
    We are on the same (as are others here), €45 going to €50, and were offered the following by the very first person we spoke to, I'm guessing in an overseas call centre:

€20 off the broadband part of the package for the next four months
    €5 off the home phone part for the next six months

So a total savings of €110, compared to the increase of €5/mo or €60 over the course of the year. I guess we could have pushed harder, but that's available from the very first person you speak to. Have this day next year in my diary to ring up and cancel!

Thanks I'll trypush for more . the phone had never been even taken out of the box and I'm having issues with paying my bill online since virgin took over so not really happy with the way they've dealt with it .if I have to I'll cancel and try to see what I can get by having my husband to sign up

shardylan wrote: »
    Thanks I'll trypush for more . the phone had never been even taken out of the box and I'm having issues with paying my bill online since virgin took over so not really happy with the way they've dealt with it .if I have to I'll cancel and try to see what I can get by having my husband to sign up

Keep pushing. I was on the phone for a total of 80 minutes but it was worth it for nearly €400 worth of savings

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Just got off the phone with them there, 6 months 50% off.

I'm on the 120mb BB and home phone for €40.

So I'm saving €120 this year, they initially offered 4 months, and I pushed a few times which got it to 6 months.

Package stays the same and new 12 month contract kicks in from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Was on phone with them before afternoon. Was only on for about 15mins. Mentioned I wasn't happy about 5euro increase, mentioned sky package. Got offered 6 months half price then 6 months full, currently on TV,BB,Phone for 85 a month. He wasn't budging, so I said how come my neighbour got it for 9months half price. He came back with 9months half price last 3 full price. So took it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

OnLooker wrote: »
    Nope but you should see it in your account when the updates go through.

Thats not enough - under the consumer directive the customer is entitled to certain information in a "durable" form of any agreement entered into online or over the phone see information here.

"Confirmation of contract
    The trader must provide confirmation of the concluded contract to you in a durable format, such as a letter or email. It should include the information mentioned above, if not already supplied in a durable format. It should be provided within a reasonable time after the contract was concluded, and at the latest:

When the goods are being delivered or
    Before a service is provided"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

On the phone for 70 minutes this afternoon

Sales told me one thing. Passed me to customer loyalty. Eventually offered me 4 months half price on what I wanted. Haggled a bit. He went to check with supervisor. Came back with 6 months half price at current package. Told them I don't want current package, that's why I rang sales. Told me he couldn't offer any discount on package I wanted. I told him if I ordered from website I'd save €40 a month for 4 months. He said he couldn't offer that to existing customers. I read the website to him and he said yes, he could offer me that.

So I said something like 'so why am I talking to you for an hour, to be told the best I can do is on the website?' (Remember I didn't ask for customer loyalty). He said he didn't know but there's no chance I'll do better. I reminded him he said that before but his supervisor offered more. Can he check again with the right details now. Manager was on lunch

So frustrating to be on phone for 70 minutes when I didn't mention loyalty to sales

I'm ringing again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Got 5 eur price increase email...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Amouar wrote:
    I will be on 35€ a month for 120mb and basic phone package. Anyone has a better offer than this?

I am on €25 for 12 months contract till July....got €5 increase...worth getting any better deal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

whats the best way to deal with VM to get discount is it 1908 number,or online is same,since seems a lot struggle spending hour or so on the phone on a call center with another continent.

Advertisement