Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sorry maybe a silly question but.....are people getting these deals due to UPC being bought over by Virgin Media? or is it because they are out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gmisk wrote: »
    Sorry maybe a silly question but.....are people getting these deals due to UPC being bought over by Virgin Media? or is it because they are out of contract?

liberty global own UPC.
    Liberty Global bought Virgin.
    Liberty Global, rebranded UPC as Virgin.

no, they are getting the deals to keep your business.
    plenty of people don't call or look at switching
    paying 85 euro for 12 months = 1020 a year, if they keep you business after 10 years they'll have gotten 10,200 euro from you. so a little discount does not hurt them

ted1 wrote: »
    liberty global own UPC.
    Liberty Global bought Virgin.
    Liberty Global, rebranded UPC as Virgin.

no, they are getting the deals to keep your business.
    plenty of people don't call or look at switching
    paying 85 euro for 12 months = 1020 a year, if they keep you business after 10 years they'll have gotten 10,200 euro from you. so a little discount does not hurt them

Ah cheers I get you!
    I am about 5 months into a contract for 18 months (120mb BB and TV).
    First 12 months 25 euro....then last 6 months all the way up to 85euro PM so just checking :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

gmisk wrote: »

Because in 2016 they prefer to haggle like a market trader on the street, than do things via email or a website as most other ISP would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My 6 month loyalty discount expired on the 7th. Should I chance my arm for another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Are you guys saying anything specific to get the discount?

Been a while since I've done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

rogercross wrote: »
    Are you guys saying anything specific to get the discount?

Been a while since I've done this.

Sky have a great deal you can threaten wirh

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

These guys are an absolute disaster to deal with!!

Rang them during November/December when my year contract was up looking for a better offer. Asked them for 6 months half price, saying i was offered a great deal with sky. Didnt seem to be much hassle, and they bumped me up to 240 mb for broadband, so i was relatively happy and the phone call went pretty smooth.

Decembers price was still the same so i said id wait until the January billing as it might take a month for the new plan to kick in. January came round and it was still the original price. I rang them today and they said they had no record of my call or that offer being applied to my account. They asked me what i was offered in November and i chanced my arm saying 9 months half price (based on the offers being accepted here). the best the lady could offer me was what was on the website (she didnt know what was on the website herself, she told me to go check). I told her i wanted to talk to the cancellation department. She patched me through and after about 45 minutes of talking to another clueless fella I THINK I got the 9 months half price and my broadband upgraded to 360 mb. Guy really hadnt a clue and i wouldnt be surprised if i have to make another phone call but if it works out im delighted with the deal.

Edit to add this was for the tv/phone/broadband bundle

Sky have a great deal you can threaten wirh
    Can you elaborate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Can you elaborate on that?

Sky - broadband, phone, TV - €49/month for 1 yr.
    The speeds, channels etc... details would be on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

I got 9 months half price on horizon max as well and 20% of sky sports and movies for a year

macker22 wrote: »
    I got 9 months half price on horizon max as well and 20% of sky sports and movies for a year
    What did you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

My god, I don't care what they offer I'm cancelling after talking to the goons today! The worst customer service I've ever experienced every time I've rang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

I also got 9 months half price and full price for the final three after relentlessly threatening to switch to sky - did up annual total costs based on both packages, what they offered and Sky's 49 euro offer, and kept saying I couldnt pay the difference just to avoid the hassle of switching.

They eventually gave in and gave me half price for 9 months. However having read a few comments above I regret not pushing for an increase in my bb speed. Still a decent result though.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

macker22 wrote: »

I got the same. I got a couple of crappy initial offers. I said I wanted to stay with them but that I couldn't justify it when I looked at Sky's offer. Then he offered 3 months half price and the 20% off Sky and Setanta for the year. I said thanks for your efforts but that wasn't enough when I consider the alternatives. He said he would have to talk to his supervisor. So I was on hold and he came back with the 9 months then. He was very nice to deal with, I guess I got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'm out of contract next month.
    I've on 240 BB and landline free calls. I'm paying €45 a month.

If I wanted to go on the 360 BB and free landline calls what would be a decent offer?
    I'm staying with Sky for the TV side of things but

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭dodzy

Was on half price for last 4ths (€42.49) - MAX tv, 240 bb and free calls. Went back to €85 for Jan. Rang them this afternoon and they've dropped it to €42.49 from Feb for another 6mths. Happy days!

Would not consider alternative as VM broadband is just worlds apart from any of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

End result...

3 x calls

#1 = 4 months 1/2 price
    #2 = 6 months 1/2 price
    #3 = 9 months 1/2 price

Finally got there in the end.

My last lines before they caved... "Well I guess that's the end of our relationship then, can you give me the cancellation number?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

iggy wrote: »
    I'm out of contract next month.
    I've on 240 BB and landline free calls. I'm paying €45 a month.

If I wanted to go on the 360 BB and free landline calls what would be a decent offer?
    I'm staying with Sky for the TV side of things but

I would expect at least this kind of deal at minimum which I negociated last year "Chatted with UPC cancellation to avail of Unlimited 240Mb /24 Mb upload broadband for €25.00 per month with price after 4 months €45. After discussing with supervisor and a call back from someone responsible for special offers, moved to the plan with a 12 month contract extension."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Does this work for broadband only packages, or does it have to be a TV package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Any get a deal before their previous contract was up? be it 12 months or 18 months.?

dodzy wrote: »
    Was on half price for last 4ths (€42.49) - MAX tv, 240 bb and free calls. Went back to €85 for Jan. Rang them this afternoon and they've dropped it to €42.49 from Feb for another 6mths. Happy days!

Would not consider alternative as VM broadband is just worlds apart from any of the competition.
    So they dropped price even though you were still in a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just called to cancel (out of contract since yesterday), they offered me €15 off for six months, told them if I go to eir I'd be saving €300 over the year above that offer & they went to half price for six months (€42.50) then full price but with a 12 month contract instead of 18. Absolutely wouldn't go to nine months, said that was only for 18 month contracts, so people ahead in this thread, check in six months time how long the contract is (read elsewhere they put people on 18 month contracts that were supposed to be 12). Brings my average monthly price to €64 for the year with 240mb broadband & all the tv channels & free local, national, international & mobile calls.

Just got my bill €91. Ill be ringing them when I get home from work!

I just got 6 months for half price, then 6 months on full. (12 month contract)

I swear he pulled some party poppers when he offered me the 6 month deal, initially it was 3 but he went to a supervisor and came back with 6.

"Congratulations sir, you have got a great deal my supervisor agreed to 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

just wasted 20 min, indian (is virgin CS . gone east also)guy said systems down and rudley fobbed me off, net chat didnt go much better, 'liz ' could not access system, will try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Is there a certain time frame we should be calling to avoid the indian call center perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭p225886

rogercross wrote: »
    Is there a certain time frame we should be calling to avoid the indian call center perhaps?

That crossed my mind too but having checked out stories on call centres it looks like they run 24/7 in the Philippines....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Hmm, interesting to see people getting decent offers. I'm paying currently €40 a month for 120/10 broadband package but I see some here getting the 240/20 package for €20 cheaper a year.. Think its time I made a call :)

• Advertisement

i got a follow up email that said all contracts are for 12 months unless promotional which are 18. Now the agent deffo said 12 months.
    I'm thinking about calling back and asking and if it is 18 i will lodge an official complaint against the agent and seek a 9 month discount.

Advertisement